ADVERTISEMENT

Does anyone remember 2011?

SCKnight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2001
We beat Charleston Southern 62-0 then beat Boston College 30-3 on our way to a grand 5-7 season. Point being we have played one game, and while it was fun to watch, keep your head. UCF fans who get ahead of themselves tend to get burned. Take it from a 30+ year veteran

giphy.gif

Reactions: Knight_Light
I'm sure Frost and Co. were none too happy that our run game stunk up the house on Thursday and that we gave up long huge running and pass plays with bad tackling, coverage, and angles. And certainly the players weren't satisfied with their performances. They certainly won't go in overconfident and full of themselves. What they did get was a taste of how their hard work and believing in the system could pay off. It was a long time since the players had that feeling.

We beat Charleston Southern 62-0 then beat Boston College 30-3 on our way to a grand 5-7 season. Point being we have played one game, and while it was fun to watch, keep your head. UCF fans who get ahead of themselves tend to get burned. Take it from a 30+ year veteran
Thank you!!! ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Hate judgments made after 1 game vs. a sub-par opponent, but this post is moronic. Have we not improved since 2011? Do we not have a different system than 2011? Are we really that stupid to compare a 2017 team to a 2011? We if we are that stupid, then lets compare them to they time we had a pretty damn good game against Akron and then ended the year winning the Fiesta Bowl. Do you remember that? Oh and by the way, that has as much to do with the 2017 team as the 2011 team. But what's reality when it's much more fun to rain on everyone's parade!

Reactions: Miltonian

That was the inconsistent GOL era. You are still scarred from years of abuse. It will be different this time.

Last edited:
Idk i felt more confident in Milton's 360 yards passing than what Jeff Godfrey was doing against Charleston Southern. We were only leading what 10-3 against BC when we broke away in the 4th? That said we had a Top 30 recruiting year and believed two JUCO stand outs on the front defensive line were going to sustain our 2010 success. What happened with Godfrey? Was he really told to stay in the pocket? (rhetorical) That year was much different than what we have now and its not fair to compare. I don't have faith in this years team like the one in 2011. At the very worst we had the Bortles/Godfrey controversy and we were a couple of poor decisions away from plus .500 record. While it was discouraging to watch them lose during the middle of the year, seeing them dominate the last game of the year showed promise for the years to come. I can't say i think the same way about this one. We seem good but Memphis may have our number and Maryland winning on our field last year and beating Texas early this season may prove our demise. We might be outclassed. Ga Tech should be a different story.

Last edited:
Idk i felt more confident in Milton's 360 yards passing than what Jeff Godfrey was doing against Charleston Southern. We were only leading what 10-3 against BC when we broke away in the 4th? That said we had a Top 30 recruiting year and believed two JUCO stand outs on the front defensive line were going to sustain our 2010 success. What happened with Godfrey? Was he really told to stay in the pocket? (rhetorical) That year was much different than what we have now and its not fair to compare. I don't have faith in this years team like the one in 2011. At the very worst we had the Bortles/Godfrey controversy and we were a couple of poor decisions away from plus .500 record. While it was discouraging to watch them lose during the middle of the year, seeing them dominate the last game of the year showed promise for the years to come. I can't say i think the same way about this one. We seem good but Memphis may have our number and Maryland winning on our field last year and beating Texas early this season may prove our demise. We might be outclassed. Ga Tech should be a different story.

Everything you say is knowledge in hindsight. At the time In 2011 all we knew is that we were coming off an 10-4 year with a star at QB and we handily beat our first two opponents. All I am saying is that there is not enough data for people to start asking "could we go 7-0 etc... I hope we are all looking back at this and saying "see I told you we were that good". Personally I think we are much improved but I think next year is Scott Frost's breakout year. We looked good against a very poor opponent. But you are supposed to look good against a poor opponent. It could have been worse we could have had a showing like USF did against Stony Brook. I am optimistic but cautious.

Reactions: Mrcordell18
Hate judgments made after 1 game vs. a sub-par opponent, but this post is moronic. Have we not improved since 2011? Do we not have a different system than 2011? Are we really that stupid to compare a 2017 team to a 2011? We if we are that stupid, then lets compare them to they time we had a pretty damn good game against Akron and then ended the year winning the Fiesta Bowl. Do you remember that? Oh and by the way, that has as much to do with the 2017 team as the 2011 team. But what's reality when it's much more fun to rain on everyone's parade!
I was going to say this, but you beat me to it. Apples and oranges

I'm always baffled why people get upset that OTHER people are happy or hopeful. None of our opinions or moods have any effect on the outcome of games anyway.
We are going to have an amazing season, because we stomped out FIU

There.. I said it. I'm not scared of no jynxes!!

l3ol6.gif

What a douchebag response. Nobody is raining on the parade, and nobody is comparing teams, just circumstances. Just pointed out that it is a wee bit early to be beating your chest. But to answer your question at the moment there is no way to know if we have improved since 2011. Lets see what happens against Memphis. that will be a much better barometer. Then we can see if we have been so "stupid" as to dare to bring up such a comparison of circumstance.

Everything you say is knowledge in hindsight. At the time In 2011 all we knew is that we were coming off an 10-4 year with a star at QB and we handily beat our first two opponents. All I am saying is that there is not enough data for people to start asking "could we go 7-0 etc... I hope we are all looking back at this and saying "see I told you we were that good". Personally I think we are much improved but I think next year is Scott Frost's breakout year. We looked good against a very poor opponent. But you are supposed to look good against a poor opponent. It could have been worse we could have had a showing like USF did against Stony Brook. I am optimistic but cautious.
Nonsense! Godfrey's performance against Charleston Southern 6-for-10 for 100-yards, 46 yards rushing. I can recall some being concerned about that. We put away Boston College after 3 quarters, more of a defense effort. FIU was a concern because they upset Louisville the week before. I'll give you the hindsight argument as it pertains to our Top 30 recruiting but isnt that what youre attempting to do - be there first before saying someone is predicting in hindsight? Somewhere here we agree that there is some talent and of course i want to be wrong about this year, but our schedule upfront is tougher than what the 2011 team dealt with.

Relax 80's..........we're all friends here :)

Reactions: Mikesi
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT