ADVERTISEMENT

Does DG stare down receivers or does he just have half field reads?

Let's see here ...
- True freshman QB
- Max protection playbook implemented mid-season (not developed in camp)
- QB#3 coming out of camp with limited time with receivers
- Resulting route and timing issues

Yes, it seems we have a hastily developed playbook for a non-mobile QB that wasn't expected to be the starter and had some of the least time with the offense and so we use a max protect package.
-- Signed Reality

We are in the race of our program's life to get out of G5 by the next tv contract.
giphy.gif

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
All 3 will be total failures? Well...there is always another recruiting class and another and another plus transfers coming in like Jaylon who I hope tears it up next year.

Believe thats why Coaching Staffs try and recruit the best possible players at every position...same reason why Heupel ended up signing DG even though he "THOUGHT" he was going to have Milton for another 2 years.

Fortunately, most (not all) true freshmen QB's do improve with more experience so hopefully DG can take another step forward as a true soph and then as a true junior and so on but if not, hope the next man/men up are even better than he.
Everyone has the same feeling every time a receiver leaves. It will be next man up again. Hall and Perriman gave way to Akins and Tre’Quan Smith, gave way to Snelson and Davis and Nixon who will give way to the next line of receivers. It happens every couple years.

If you guys listen to the Sons of UCF new podcast they talk with Colubiale and go into the playbook a bit and how plays are called. It’s an interesting listen. He confirms that some plays are half field reads as well.
Cool, will have to give it a listen... does he talk at all about receiver routes being based off coverage pre-snap at all?
I.E. everything really being a option route for the most part.
If DB is playing 8 yards off LOS, run a hitch/curl or even a slant vs. if he's in press we're running a go?

Something I want to do is go back and chart corner depth on every pass play and see if anything comes of it.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Cool, will have to give it a listen... does he talk at all about receiver routes being based off coverage pre-snap at all?
I.E. everything really being a option route for the most part.
If DB is playing 8 yards off LOS, run a hitch/curl or even a slant vs. if he's in press we're running a go?

Something I want to do is go back and chart corner depth on every pass play and see if anything comes of it.
He goes into it a bit about how the routes are based on reads and option routes. And there are not always set plays. A QB and receivers will make reads based on what defense is giving them. Definitely worth a listen.

He goes into it a bit about how the routes are based on reads and option routes. And there are not always set plays. A QB and receivers will make reads based on what defense is giving them. Definitely worth a listen.
Listening now... kind of what I assumed just from watching especially with some of the miscommunications kind of making it obvious. But, will definitely be great to listen to Colubiale explain it better than I can haha

Listening now... kind of what I assumed just from watching especially with some of the miscommunications kind of making it obvious. But, will definitely be great to listen to Colubiale explain it better than I can haha
It’s around the 50 minute mark they talk with him I think.

Reactions: Money_Milton
So this was something I mentioned after the Cincy game... it's generally something I'm curious about and would love input. I went through the 1h of the ECU game and found multiple plays where only one side of the field was running routes. And on plays where both sides were, it was the same route combo from both sides. Here are the gifs of 10 plays I went through.

Jeff Lebby.........

As the season has gone along, right now it seems like he's got a half-field reads. He's looking to one side of the field. As the season goes along, do you put more on his plate incrementally?

"It might seem like that because are real open on one side of the field and he's not having to get to the next one. We've got pretty good receivers. I think that's part of it too. He doesn't have to get to the third one because the first one is usually open. That's part of it too."

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Jeff Lebby.........

As the season has gone along, right now it seems like he's got a half-field reads. He's looking to one side of the field. As the season goes along, do you put more on his plate incrementally?

"It might seem like that because are real open on one side of the field and he's not having to get to the next one. We've got pretty good receivers. I think that's part of it too. He doesn't have to get to the third one because the first one is usually open. That's part of it too."

Probably the only answer we can really get on this, but Colubiale basically confirmed it, and it's pretty obvious if you look to see if it happens...

Really don't think it's that bad of a thing.. I think it's hurt him a couple of times this year, but more because the ball wasn't out on time

My next goal is to figure out the route options haha

Reactions: JAFFX2
So this was something I mentioned after the Cincy game... it's generally something I'm curious about and would love input. I went through the 1h of the ECU game and found multiple plays where only one side of the field was running routes. And on plays where both sides were, it was the same route combo from both sides. Here are the gifs of 10 plays I went through.

Yes. DG many times stares down receivers. I hope that is just a freshman thing and that he will improve. I also see hope that he will learn to be a better runner/scrambler.

We have the #2 overall Total Offense. #5 Passing. #24 Rushing. All this while rolling out a true freshman QB and what looks to be a sub-optimal OL. Looking forward this next wave of players maturing and executing at a higher level.

Reactions: BlakNGoldAllDay
Lebby defended young QB yesterday saying that the first option was open all the time.
Looks like he doesn't always see the full field but I believe he will improve.

We have the #2 overall Total Offense. #5 Passing. #24 Rushing. All this while rolling out a true freshman QB and what looks to be a sub-optimal OL. Looking forward this next wave of players maturing and executing at a higher level.

Agree with you.......that said there are some folks who are OK with the current performance which is too much of a complacent well we still won the game attitude.....rather than the eye of the tiger........I miss the attacking champions from the last few years..........

The title is does he stare down receivers or only use half the field. If you want to change it to Run plays to fit a narrative do what you want.
I've only seen him staring on quick hitters. You can’t stare at the hot chick in the home stands and then come back to the visitors side and deduce and hit a quick slant or crossing route all in two seconds. That’s a lot of our passes. I’ve seen him decisively look off safeties on some of the longer developing downfield throws. And I’ve seen him fail to do that also on occasion. To me it seems he is aware of the technique needed and is capable. And of course he will get better at it. He is not a dumb drooling staring QB if that is the question. Differentiate the quick reads with the downfield throws. Off course if it is send Gabe long in spread vs single coverage with no safety over top then what the heck is the difference if you are staring or not.

All of our receivers should be running routes. What happens when the primary receiver falls down, is covered by a blanket etc. Then you are left with no other options. I don't know that I have ever seen an offense where receivers on one side run routes and the receivers on the other side take the play off. It seems ridiculous.

All of our receivers should be running routes. What happens when the primary receiver falls down, is covered by a blanket etc. Then you are left with no other options. I don't know that I have ever seen an offense where receivers on one side run routes and the receivers on the other side take the play off. It seems ridiculous.
It's not uncommon. Baylor 2015 is the most notable example I know of. I dont know if it's a good idea or not. I haven't seen it in the NFL but they dont let them play as fast as we can in CFB so they're better rested regardless.

If the plan is to get the ball out quickly, it might not make sense to have everyone run routes.

sounds weird, sure, but if it’s for a purpose (such as to keep the other team from subbing while you prod the defense), I’m okay with it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT