ADVERTISEMENT

Don't Panic, we just don't have enough P5 Talent to win consistently in the Big 12

ReturnOf

Bronze Knight
Jan 6, 2008
Schemes and mental toughness wouldn't have won us the game today. Game was lost in the trenches. Credit to Kansas's OL that created gaping holes for their RB's to shred us. It didn't matter who was running the ball, we got pushed back and were out of position to make a play.

Our play is a concerning trend though. Decisions like starting JRP despite clearly not being healthy enough to even finish a 4-play series are so questionable. JRP is clearly his guy on and off the field, but he can't ego check himself. I honestly think part of the appeal for Gus coming here was leaving a school like Auburn with boosters who have leverage (good or bad), to UCF where Terry gave him the keys to the car. Zero chance he brings in a coordinator who challenges him, and until then I don't see the offense being led by a competent and internally developed QB or a defense that is disciplined. People say "He just needs to give up command of XX", he's not going to do that. For instance, I'll be shocked if he lets Addison go despite the defense being beyond porous.

I don't think firing Gus is the solution yet though, the roster is already a mess of players built through the portal because of the instability and lack of recruiting success under Heupel. If this continues the next 2 years though we have to move on, but fans don't want to wait that long. And after all it only takes one bad coach/administration to sink a program.

I'm guessing the last few years of CUSA talent didn't have the talent to win the BCS Big East and actually win the bowl game.... ooooops WE DID. Maybe the difference---- a HC. Nope, didn't expect to win the conference, but definitely should have won last week, and hey, maybe actually be in the same state as this game????? Is that too much to ask? BUT hey I realize that our new AD loves decades of mediocrity, so we are just the 1st year in that crap. SWELLL.

I’d also add that as a Kansas City resident, UCFans shouldn’t melt down because “OMG it’s Kansas.” Leipold is building a solid program at KU and you guys lost to a good team. No shame in that.
True story.

Pitt and KU are two peas in a pod. GREAT gameday environment.

Trust me. 🤪

BTW, hope y’all come up to Morgantown sometime and enjoy the festivities. As good as it gets….even when not a great team.

Reactions: 90Knight
I'm guessing the last few years of CUSA talent didn't have the talent to win the BCS Big East and actually win the bowl game.... ooooops WE DID. Maybe the difference---- a HC. Nope, didn't expect to win the conference, but definitely should have won last week, and hey, maybe actually be in the same state as this game????? Is that too much to ask? BUT hey I realize that our new AD loves decades of mediocrity, so we are just the 1st year in that crap. SWELLL.
Terry hired Butch Jones at Arkansas State who has been a disaster

Schemes and mental toughness wouldn't have won us the game today. Game was lost in the trenches. Credit to Kansas's OL that created gaping holes for their RB's to shred us. It didn't matter who was running the ball, we got pushed back and were out of position to make a play.
Consistently? How about a winning streak of one?

Reactions: LoboCane
It's hard to win consistently in a P5 conference without depth. Even with a good coach. Going from C-USA to a conference (The Big East at the time) and winning it wasn't the same. That conference had several C-USA additions in it as well as Temple. UConn and Rutgers weren't that good.

It is different winning a one off bowl game or winning a league with teams that just aren't that deep themselves.

Depth most certainly plays a role.

Going into a conference like the AAC, and going into a conference like the Big 12 is dramatically different. I don't know how well Gus will work out long term. He had a lot of ups and downs with us, and the back half of his time with us was pretty poor overall. Especially O-line recruiting. Depth at RB. Having the right QB for his system etc...

I have long said that out of everyone in the Big 12, not just the new additions BUT everyone. UCF has the highest ceiling by far and I don't think it's that close. Given 2-3 years I expect UCF to be one of if not THE BEST program in the Big 12.

Facilities are great, recruiting area is great, recruiting will pick up and has already started too, fanbase is great, huge alumni base, huge overall University, beautiful city, there is A LOT to work with at UCF. We're going through a similar season. It's gonna take Freeze some time to build our depth up too after the Malzhan/Harsin years. It's just one of those things you know heading into a coaching change, and in UCF's case a conference change. You all will be fine, way too much potential and proven success for this process to take too long.

Pulling for you Knights!

you can tell instantly whether a coach has IT or not. the louisville and navy games in year 1 were the biggest clues that he wasn't up for the job. it's kinda like how louisville knew satterfield was a bum and they could be doing a whole lot better. now look at them. cincy is in trouble too because they hired the fired bum like we hired a fired bum. houston is also in trouble because they went after a loser because he was on the hot seat at a P5 and available. all 3 of us went away from the kind of coaches that made us successful in the AAC and eventually attractive enough to the big 12. south florida still hasn't recovered from their hiring of a fired p5 bum.

I’d also add that as a Kansas City resident, UCFans shouldn’t melt down because “OMG it’s Kansas.” Leipold is building a solid program at KU and you guys lost to a good team. No shame in that.
Ehhh UCF is headed for a Kansas like Big 12 drought. UCF will win the non-con games unlike KU, however they will win 1 Big 12 game max as long as they employ this coaching staff.

We need to push a marketing scheme for all opponents to load up on mRNA vaccines.

Then we will have more heart than them.

Ehhh UCF is headed for a Kansas like Big 12 drought. UCF will win the non-con games unlike KU, however they will win 1 Big 12 game max as long as they employ this coaching staff.
Back away from the ledge, Paul! These last few games don’t change the fact that UCF is a rising program located in a great recruiting hotbed. Very impressed by your commitment to football as well, something KU hadn’t done until recently. You guys will be alright.

Kansas showed UCF had no business being on the same field, looked like UCF played the role of an FCS team.

It's the coaching, as it was in 2015 when the team had a quick turnaround soon as an effective coaching staff took over.

UCF doesn't go from winning and at least competing against P5 teams to suddenly getting stomped, because they don't have the talent. Several of the transfers that left UCF are playmakers for P5 teams.

Wrong...schemes make a huge difference when you're overmatched in size and talent. It's the only thing we have to even the playing field. Our D Coaches have to prepare better, and our players need to execute those better schemes to win in the B12. We haven't done that for the past 3 games.

what annoys me the most is our media doing the few weeks in about face and lecturing the fans to not expect better

Brandon and Mark predicting 9-10 wins at the end of fall camp then suddenly acting like we are a death penalty program and we should be grateful that a retread that loves Waffle House graces us w his presence

we looked like an FCS team yesterday, unacceptable

what annoys me the most is our media doing the few weeks in about face and lecturing the fans to not expect better

Brandon and Mark predicting 9-10 wins at the end of fall camp then suddenly acting like we are a death penalty program and we should be grateful that a retread that loves Waffle House graces us w his presence

we looked like an FCS team yesterday, unacceptable

The same media that said the fans are the problem with expecting the basketball team not to be bottom tier team.

Malzahn said one of things that attracted him to UCF was the lack of pressure he dealt with at Auburn. He doesn't have to be held accountable. He want to coast into his golden years like GOL.

We lost because we were manhandled at the los and missed tackles practically every snap. Kansas dominated us blocking. They’re deeper and more talented. They made us look like a I aa team. Kudos to them.

There's no way he will hire a real OC and let them do their job, but the very least he could do is invest in a real, experienced DC.

you can tell instantly whether a coach has IT or not. the louisville and navy games in year 1 were the biggest clues that he wasn't up for the job. it's kinda like how louisville knew satterfield was a bum and they could be doing a whole lot better. now look at them. cincy is in trouble too because they hired the fired bum like we hired a fired bum. houston is also in trouble because they went after a loser because he was on the hot seat at a P5 and available. all 3 of us went away from the kind of coaches that made us successful in the AAC and eventually attractive enough to the big 12. south florida still hasn't recovered from their hiring of a fired p5 bum.
We win the Louisville game with Gabriel if the WR actually catches the ball instead of having butter fingers. That game is not on Gus. The second Loiuville game JRP is starting his 2nd or 3rd game at QB after being a WR at Ole Miss. I thought he made a lot of progress from year 1 to year 2 at QB for UCF before he got hurt at Boise St

What is going to be tough sledding for UCF in the future is keeping our best players on the roster. If Miami, FSU and any other SEC or Big Ten team can come in and steal our best players by offering them more NIL money then we can afford it is going to be hard to keep them from hitting the portal. I suppose it helps that you can only transfer once before having to sit out a year.

Reactions: Yaes
Humm not the players? Did you see #10 scared to tackle and backpeddling the entire game against Kansas? Our Linebackers are small and we're getting run over. A 300 to 325lb OL guy was easily blocking our small 210lb Linebackers that belong in FCS not on an FBS team. The defense doesn't have the horses to stop the run.

I hate the 2 linebacker set we run. Against teams with big offensive lines and good running games it's worthless.

And it says something that we don't have enough talent at that position fill the starter spots when we only play two.

I hate the 2 linebacker set we run. Against teams with big offensive lines and good running games it's worthless.

And it says something that we don't have enough talent at that position fill the starter spots when we only play two.
Why did TWill run off Jeremiah Jean-Baptiste?

BINGO! THIS^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Humm not the players? Did you see #10 scared to tackle and backpeddling the entire game against Kansas? Our Linebackers are small and we're getting run over. A 300 to 325lb OL guy was easily blocking our small 210lb Linebackers that belong in FCS not on an FBS team. The defense doesn't have the horses to stop the run.
THIS^^^^^^^^^ 1000%

We don't have 1 big-12 level QB on the whole team. Someone please explain to me Timmy's brain fallout? Completely lost his mind on several plays. How.....HOW, can we do worse with 3rd string or 4th right now? Hell try it!!!!!!!!!!!

There was enough talent to build a 4 TD lead against Baylor with the 2nd choice QB and enough boneheaded decisions and lack of leadership to blow it. Didn't look like a talent thing.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
There has been talk about locker room turmoil ever since Malzahn first season. A lot attributed it to Heupel recruits wanting out, and several left including very talented players. Kansas game gave the impression those that are on the team now are starting to check out.

Curious how the interaction between the players and Gabriel will be in Oklahoma. Many said there was a lot of disdain amongst the team for him, will that animosity show up in the football game. Or has the team started to turn on the staff and think the other defectors made the right choice.

The team is not built to dominate a P5 conference, but the idea that Kansas would blow them out by halftime (with backup QB) or Baylor scores 26 in the 4th quarter in a home game is because they lack P5 talent is not accurate.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT