ADVERTISEMENT

Favorite '22 Recruits so far

Vike Knight

Five-Star Recruit
Gold Member
Nov 6, 2005
With NSD in the books, who are you all the most excited about?

I think for me it's Jordan McDonald. Aside from the fact that Malzahn says he's "the best RB in the country", which is obviously exaggeration, his film is impressive - and I'm excited to have a big back with his downhill running style.

I like Jordan too, but for me it’s Thomas Castellanos. Guy looks electric in the most important position, one where we are lost at the moment. He just seems to fit what Gus wants so perfectly too.

I’m really excited about all the defensive guys though, that’s much harder to pick. Keahnist, Johnson, the Twins or Martinez.

One of my favorite players off all time was Marshall Faulk. Xavier Townsend reminds me a lot of him, a true matchup nightmare if we can use him properly.
Yeah I remember him on the Rams, Kurt Warner team. I think I read somewhere that Townsend had a really great senior season and is likely underrated. He does seem like a player who could do a lot as a slot receiver or flex WR/RB.

I’m really excited about this class. But I’m torn between Tommy, Quan, Jordan and Xavier on offense, and KT, Marinez, and the twins on defense. You can’t go wrong with any of them. Btw, did I mention Colton on special teams. Just a really great class.
Thank god we got a kicker. I hope he’s a good one, if Obarski is kicking next year we will know the answer…

His tape looks awesome. Obarski never recovered after the Memphis miss and consequent Quadry dust up.
I remember seeing that and thinking "Quadry is doing exactly what everyone at home can't do but wants to do because we aren't physically there"

Was so happy to see that. So sick of this soft coddling behavior after the kid's repeatedly missed easy to make field goals. I get it the first few times but ffs he missed plenty by then. People need accountability, stop all this "be nice, don't say anything bad or give valid criticism" crap

I'm easily swayed... and yall are making great arguments for Castellanos. I'm changing my answer. Tommy Casto it is!
The thing that impresses me besides his arm and accuracy is his mobility and ability to run the ball. He could be the next real deal!

Reactions: Vike Knight
I went back to the video because I'd forgotten what actually happened on the sideline, and some commenters pointed out that the kick looks blocked. Watch it in slow mo and decide. 23 gets a pretty big push and jumps up, appearing to deflect the ball.

Edit: looking at the reverse angle it looks like two other guys pushed over the long snapper and 23 stepped up into the space.

Last edited:
I remember seeing that and thinking "Quadry is doing exactly what everyone at home can't do but wants to do because we aren't physically there"

Was so happy to see that. So sick of this soft coddling behavior after the kid's repeatedly missed easy to make field goals. I get it the first few times but ffs he missed plenty by then. People need accountability, stop all this "be nice, don't say anything bad or give valid criticism" crap

Agreed as long as the offense which gets 3 tries to get a damn 1st down or TD and fails gets the same criticism for someone who gets 1 chance. Having said that, it's a big decrease from the times of Grilla .... till today. In line with another thread, I guess nothing came of the portal transfer kicker from last year?

Agreed as long as the offense which gets 3 tries to get a damn 1st down or TD and fails gets the same criticism for someone who gets 1 chance. Having said that, it's a big decrease from the times of Grilla .... till today. In line with another thread, I guess nothing came of the portal transfer kicker from last year?
uh…………….not exactly apples to apples unless they actually tackle field goal kickers or they kick 75 yard field goals.

Sounds like we need Urban Meyer here to set the kicker straight.

• Haha
Reactions: U C to the F
Agreed. This has always been my take on the finish of this game. We should not have even been in the position of trying for a field goal. Against a Memphis Defense that was not even addressing the 5-15 yard pass attempts, instead of taking sure 10 yard passes to open receivers in the last series, DG decides to throw into double coverage in the end zone. We waste downs and are forced to try to a field goal. This is why savvy qbs realize that when you can attain the end zone, you shouldn't settle for a field goal chance.

Agreed. This has always been my take on the finish of this game. We should not have even been in the position of trying for a field goal. Against a Memphis Defense that was not even addressing the 5-15 yard pass attempts, instead of taking sure 10 yard passes to open receivers in the last series, DG decides to throw into double coverage in the end zone. We waste downs and are forced to try to a field goal. This is why savvy qbs realize that when you can attain the end zone, you shouldn't settle for a field goal chance.
Special teams are part of the game for a reason. Not every drive will result in a touchdown. Not every possession in the red zone will result in a td. I think we can all agree that a touchdown is better than a field goal, but my point is they (touchdowns) don’t always happen for or against our football team. My opinion is that we should look at the performance of our field goal kicker and compare it against other field goal kickers, in this context Obarski just never seemed to shine. The fact of the matter is that as a field goal kicker, Obarski was never good, and his failures cost us games.

Last edited:
Reactions: U C to the F
With NSD in the books, who are you all the most excited about?

I think for me it's Jordan McDonald. Aside from the fact that Malzahn says he's "the best RB in the country", which is obviously exaggeration, his film is impressive - and I'm excited to have a big back with his downhill running style.
Before any RB had announced their commitments my Favorites Were Townsend and Jordan McDonald...I loved them as a 1 2 punch. Townsend being our Otis and McDonald being a Bowser slash 24k bruising back...McDonald has speed and power. Townsend is faster and is a better receiver than Otis I think. When we got both I was ecstatic. Now we need a few more receivers and 3 good oline commitments. Love Tommy as our QB...I would let him fight for the chance to be QB. I would only add Nix or top 5 Portal QB. If we can't add any then it's ok. I am not worried.

TC. QB1 is the most important position on the roster. It is his if he lives up to the billing. Next important position is blind side tackle. Would love to see some nasty OL-like Cole Shneider.

Reactions: Knight Strength
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT