ADVERTISEMENT

Fickell to USC rumors

know the AD link there but don’t think Fickell would be a good fit at SC

that is a job that can attract a top NFL Coordinator

USC is one of the most attractive schools in the country. On top of that the money for players is unlimited.

They get the right hire they will be a championship contender again pretty quickly.
Yea you would think but they’ve been mostly irrelevant since Pete left. Kinda like what people say about Miami, Michigan, Nebraska. Just cause you were legendary doesn’t mean you always will.

Yea you would think but they’ve been mostly irrelevant since Pete left. Kinda like what people say about Miami, Michigan, Nebraska. Just cause you were legendary doesn’t mean you always will.
USC has nothing in common with Michigan and Nebraska. Not hard to convince people to come to Southern California and in a strong recruiting state to begin with.

I also don't believe if a school struggles for 10 years means they will never be good again.

Any school can succeed if the right situation happens. Clemson was an average program with minor success for 20 years in the middle of nowhere South Carolina.

Agree ^^ seems like he is committed
Wonder if he decided to stay after others were courting him because he knew his "gold generation" team is now and the chance to win is now. Wonder if he leaves after....?

Nobody wants to be a part of the S show. Fickle, if he wanted to leave, would have better opportunities than that in the future.

USC has nothing in common with Michigan and Nebraska. Not hard to convince people to come to Southern California and in a strong recruiting state to begin with.

I also don't believe if a school struggles for 10 years means they will never be good again.

Any school can succeed if the right situation happens. Clemson was an average program with minor success for 20 years in the middle of nowhere South Carolina.
also I have been there and it doesn’t have much in common with Miami either . It’s a Top 5 college job. The campus and Colosseum across the street is a real nice setup and their brand resonates with recruits. But think Fickell is better off in the Midwest

Reactions: Knight Strength
His whole career has been Ohio based including going to school at Ohio State. He could have left for a dozen + schools already if he wanted to do so.

also I have been there and it doesn’t have much in common with Miami either . It’s a Top 5 college job. The campus and Colosseum across the street is a real nice setup and their brand resonates with recruits. But think Fickell is better off in the Midwest
Agreed certain situations calls for certain coaches. Saban would succeed in a lot of places, but he might not have the same unprecedented success if he was at some other schools.

Urban Meyer already showing how college coaches rarely transition well to the NFL, he could pull a Nick Saban.

I still just laugh when I hear that so and so will never succeed again. Particularly when some schools are only considered weak because their rival is dominating them (Michigan, Texas, anybody in same division as Alabama, ect.)

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Nebraska, Miami, etc. don't compare to USC. USC is on the same level as Ohio State. I agree with others saying he is more of a Midwest guy but he'll give this job serious consideration. USC is a once in a lifetime job where there will always be opportunity for a coach to succeed. And I have no doubt Fickell could get them in the CCG.

No Mahomes at USC. Could be another Josh McDaniels riding Tom Brady’s coat tails, but he deserves a shot for sure. McDaniels sure got multiple shots…

I'd take almost any job for $5mill+ every year for a few years.

Fickell will take USC if offered.
Ok I shouldn’t have said I. A coach in a location they could coach for 20 more years at an average of 4 mil over those 20 years is better than 5 mil for probably 5 or less years and then having to go back to CUSA for a few years and then hope a top team will take another chance.

Ok I shouldn’t have said I. A coach in a location they could coach for 20 more years at an average of 4 mil over those 20 years is better than 5 mil for probably 5 or less years and then having to go back to CUSA for a few years and then hope a top team will take another chance.
Or he could do well at USC and work 20 years making Saban/Jimbo money living in a beautiful part of California instead of a trash dump in Cincy.

Wow, someone who actually understands there's more than money involved. Yes, you get a nicer house (for a few years), more money (for a few years) but you actually have to work, and a great plus is actually liking where you work (a rarity) and have the adult, intelligent, ability to realize that more money may come your way without you having to chase it like a whore (Frost, White, notice the missing HC). For some people, liking the job means more than being a whore for more $$$$$.

Some, few, people actually know where their 'joy' (stupid lefty twat saying) is and don't run for 'what ifs' and lose their family in the process. (Sorry, but have no misery/support for dumbasses who don't know how good they have it E'fing wake up! Atleast Fickell knows what he's got)

Reactions: UCFootball14
Man commented before I actually watched the clip, the comment in my opinion did'nt reall show his reaction. I got no feeling that he actually wants to stay with that clip. Delete some of what I said. That dude looks like he's considering other things, that was as boring as anyone could do to say he actually wants to stay in Cincy. Yep, Jrs will feel the pull to leave, and I'll feel the pull too. "Please, someone ask me"

Or he could do well at USC and work 20 years making Saban/Jimbo money living in a beautiful part of California instead of a trash dump in Cincy.
He could but since 76 the longest tenured coach was 10 years. Average is probably closer to 5. It’s not a job people can expect to do 20 years unless you win NCs every 4 years or so.

Luke is a brilliant man. He said he hasn't talked to anyone about that job yet. And also goes on to say, I hope I get a lot of calls at the end of the year.

This does several things. 1. He knows not to take a call about the job because of the perception it would have 2. He won't take a mid season job, especially because of how much his players love him and how good Cincinnati is this year and 3. He says he would love these calls at the end of the year.

Luke is effectively signaling let's talk after the season and for USC to make an intern head coach without actually saying it

Luke is a brilliant man. He said he hasn't talked to anyone about that job yet. And also goes on to say, I hope I get a lot of calls at the end of the year.

This does several things. 1. He knows not to take a call about the job because of the perception it would have 2. He won't take a mid season job, especially because of how much his players love him and how good Cincinnati is this year and 3. He says he would love these calls at the end of the year.

Luke is effectively signaling let's talk after the season and for USC to make an intern head coach without actually saying it
They’ve already named an interim HC. I never heard of him.

Don't they all have their agents take the calls?

You would figure UCF fans would stop being so naive after what we have gone through with coaches leaving

Reactions: Lurky
He could but since 76 the longest tenured coach was 10 years. Average is probably closer to 5. It’s not a job people can expect to do 20 years unless you win NCs every 4 years or so.
For him to work 10+ years at Cincinnati means he has to be incredibly successful. He's great now, 3 years from now he can have 4 wins seasons and shown the door with less money then what he would earn at USC.

There is a laundry list of coaches that have a few good years, cash in at a bigger program can't replicate success but set for life. But some reason everyone believe they would be the Nick Saban of G5 schools. Maybe they know they can't guarantee long term success and want that big contract. Strike when the iron is hot and not think you are the next Joe Paterno/Bobby Bowden /Nick Saban, because 95% of coaches are not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT