ADVERTISEMENT

FINALLY!

Crazyhole

Todd's Tiki Bar
Jun 4, 2004
Trump actually did something that a fascist would do. He called on social media platforms to start monitoring for people who could potentially become mass shooters.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Trump actually did something that a fascist would do. He called on social media platforms to start monitoring for people who could potentially become mass shooters.
You know they’re going to take that as a green light to 1984 all conservative speak.

Reactions: UCFWayne
You know they’re going to take that as a green light to 1984 all conservative speak.

Yep. I just found it funny that for all of the claims that Trump is a fascist, they cheer when he finally acts like one.

If it were ISIS, you wouldn't have a problem.

What's your opinion on this?

There is certainly a slippery slope, and it would depend on exactly he means before I could really form an opinion on it. But if someone is talking about shooting up a school or something along those lines on facebook, you don't think facebook should monitor that and potentially get law enforcement involved?

There is certainly a slippery slope, and it would depend on exactly he means before I could really form an opinion on it. But if someone is talking about shooting up a school or something along those lines on facebook, you don't think facebook should monitor that and potentially get law enforcement involved?
I'm pretty sure that if someone is talking about shooting up a school on Facebook, one of their friends would turn it in already. That being said, if Facebook can come up with an algorithm that can identify these things then I have no problem with them reporting it. Just as long as the govt isn't mandating that they do so I think it would be great.

I'm pretty sure that if someone is talking about shooting up a school on Facebook, one of their friends would turn it in already. That being said, if Facebook can come up with an algorithm that can identify these things then I have no problem with them reporting it. Just as long as the govt isn't mandating that they do so I think it would be great.

Yet, we have consistently seen red flags all over shooters social media that nobody bothered to call law enforcement in regards to.

Again, I believe it is a slippery slope so I get your concern. But, there seems there should be some type of middle ground.

People got enraged when Facebook was daring to sell information to advertisers to show you products that you openly profess to liking on their site.

You think people are going to go along with Facebook acting as a federal law enforcement monitor for behaviors that the FBI want to secretly deem troublesome?

Yet, we have consistently seen red flags all over shooters social media that nobody bothered to call law enforcement in regards to.

Again, I believe it is a slippery slope so I get your concern. But, there seems there should be some type of middle ground.
Doesn't that by itself tell us that it isn't really possible for Facebook to monitor this kind of thing? If these people were posting this kind of stuff and their own friends didn't catch it or care, how can an algorithm do it? If it can, I'm all for it. Sites like 4chan, whatever that is, are a different beast. It's doubtful they have the resources or knowledge to pull that off.

People got enraged when Facebook was daring to sell information to advertisers to show you products that you openly profess to liking on their site.

You think people are going to go along with Facebook acting as a federal law enforcement monitor for behaviors that the FBI want to secretly deem troublesome?

It's a private company, they should be able to do it if they want to. If I don't like it, I can go somewhere else.

Doesn't that by itself tell us that it isn't really possible for Facebook to monitor this kind of thing? If these people were posting this kind of stuff and their own friends didn't catch it or care, how can an algorithm do it? If it can, I'm all for it. Sites like 4chan, whatever that is, are a different beast. It's doubtful they have the resources or knowledge to pull that off.

Well 4 chan and 8 chan don't care. Those sites have become white nationalist breeding grounds.

I think there is a difference in expecting someone to contact police in regards to someone they actually know in real life and are likely at least some what friendly with, and having a 3rd party do it. Actual friends and family are often in denial about people they care about.

Reactions: Crazyhole
Well 4 chan and 8 chan don't care. Those sites have become white nationalist breeding grounds.

I think there is a difference in expecting someone to contact police in regards to someone they actually know in real life and are likely at least some what friendly with, and having a 3rd party do it. Actual friends and family are often in denial about people they care about.
So if you make a law mandating that these companies have to monitor it, how does the government proceed if they don't? Prosecute them? If they do, then wouldn't friends and family also be open to liability for not reporting it? Like I said, I'm in favor of Facebook doing it on their own to the best of their ability, but making a law saying they have to is dangerous and impossible to enforce.

So if you make a law mandating that these companies have to monitor it, how does the government proceed if they don't? Prosecute them? If they do, then wouldn't friends and family also be open to liability for not reporting it? Like I said, I'm in favor of Facebook doing it on their own to the best of their ability, but making a law saying they have to is dangerous and impossible to enforce.

My guess is nothing will be overly heavy handed. This was an off the cuff remark by Trump, not some detailed plan. If anything comes from this, my guess is it basically just encouraging the sites to try and monitor it, but I have my doubts they will be legally required to.

Social media companies have had hired people monitoring their sites for a while. Look up the stories of the people who get messed up in the head from doing it, its scary.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT