ADVERTISEMENT

Foo Fighters

311 rules

Back on track since you idiots love to ruin everything...

311 from a musical standpoint is a very good band. But holy shit they got stupid with their lyrics. They always were a little odd and it started to show bigly on From Chaos, but I could look past it since the music was really good. It really went downhill from there.

Reactions: 1ofTheseKnights

311 from a musical standpoint is a very good band. But holy shit they got stupid with their lyrics. They always were a little odd and it started to show bigly on From Chaos, but I could look past it since the music was really good. It really went downhill from there.

I never liked 311 but you are correct that they are a technically impressive group of musicians. Like Dream Theater but in a different genre.

I never liked 311 but you are correct that they are a technically impressive group of musicians. Like Dream Theater but in a different genre.

Ummmm no. The 311 guitarists couldn’t play half of one John Petrucci solo if they tried.

Dream Theater is considered one of the greatest technical metal band of all time. 311 are brahs who mixed reggae and nu metal into a commercially appeasing sound.

Ummmm no. The 311 guitarists couldn’t play half of one John Petrucci solo if they tried.

Dream Theater is considered one of the greatest technical metal band of all time. 311 are brahs who mixed reggae and nu metal into a commercially appeasing sound.

Thats why I said they were different genres. And it isnt fair to anybody not named Satriani or Mahlmsteen to be compared to Petrucci.

What is the difference between "brah" rock and the bro-rock that you listen to?

What is the difference between "brah" rock and the bro-rock that you listen to?

The fact that I could even teach a total dolt like you a 311 song on guitar in a few hours, while I could neve teach a dolt like you how to play Disposable Heroes or And Justice For All if I tried

The fact that I could even teach a total dolt like you a 311 song on guitar in a few hours, while I could neve teach a dolt like you how to play Disposable Heroes or And Justice For All if I tried

Thats just because of the speed factor. Back in the day there wasnt a single metallica song I couldnt play, and several Satriani songs were within my reach,but James Taylor was nearly impossible to me. Who's the better guitarist of the 4?

Thats just because of the speed factor. Back in the day there wasnt a single metallica song I couldnt play, and several Satriani songs were within my reach,but James Taylor was nearly impossible to me. Who's the better guitarist of the 4?

Nope. Disposable Heroes is hard because it has a bizarre timing sequence on the notes and AJFA isn’t even fast. But it has 4 sections and it’s a 9 minute song

Nope. Disposable Heroes is hard because it has a bizarre timing sequence on the notes and AJFA isn’t even fast. But it has 4 sections and it’s a 9 minute song

I didnt think DH was that hard. Mostly just 4/4 with some 2/4 mixed in as I recall. Justice is tough because of what you said- the sheer length of the song but there are several from Metallica like that. Props to all of them for the stamina it takes to keep that up also, my forearms would be burning by the end of creeping death, MOP, justice, frayed ends, etc. Pretty crazy that Orion can be a song to catch your breath on.

I didnt think DH was that hard. Mostly just 4/4 with some 2/4 mixed in as I recall. Justice is tough because of what you said- the sheer length of the song but there are several from Metallica like that. Props to all of them for the stamina it takes to keep that up also, my forearms would be burning by the end of creeping death, MOP, justice, frayed ends, etc. Pretty crazy that Orion can be a song to catch your breath on.

That's what I'm saying. Metallica has unquestionably written some of the greatest guitar riffs and metal music masterpieces, yet we have stooges like chemmie insisting that they suck simply because they don't play every song in Drop A with some moron replicating a shitting sound into a mic for vocals.

My one big knock on Metallica since the Black album is that Lars decided that it's ok to stop perfecting his craft. There were some nice beats, kick rolls and interesting patterns in the 80's. I don't know if any song since then couldn't be played on a 3 piece kit. It screams "lazy" to me. Telling us it's "for the song" is bs, too. They could sound so much better with a little drum creativity, imo.

Reactions: Crazyhole
My one big knock on Metallica since the Black album is that Lars decided that it's ok to stop perfecting his craft. There were some nice beats, kick rolls and interesting patterns in the 80's. I don't know if any song since then couldn't be played on a 3 piece kit. It screams "lazy" to me. Telling us it's "for the song" is bs, too. They could sound so much better with a little drum creativity, imo.

Did you listen to the new album? He really upped his game in terms of creativity on the drums vs. past recent albums. It's not AJFA (which has some insane drums) but it's definitely way more technically challenging than Black or Death Magnetic.

Plus the guy is like 50 now. I'll settle for him just keeping up live with the old, fast stuff - which he's doing. They're playing Spit Out the Bone now live which would destroy my ankles if I even tried it.

Never been a huge fan but always dug a lot of their stuff. Took the family last week to Tampa as they are all huge fans and I'll tell you what, they kicked ass. Never realized how great their songs come off live. One of the best shows I've seen from anyone not named Rush.

Welcome to 1994!!

and btw, way better than Ghost live.

Plus the guy is like 50 now. I'll settle for him just keeping up live with the old, fast stuff - which he's doing.

LOL. Peart was in his mid 60s doing 3 hour sets with 2 solos. Lars is just lazy. He's probably not even the best drummer in his band.

LOL. Peart was in his mid 60s doing 3 hour sets with 2 solos. Lars is just lazy. He's probably not even the best drummer in his band.

Check out this recent live video of Spit Out The Bone. He has tightened his playing up considerably. Not many drummers his age could go at that speed constantly for a 6:30 song. I’m not saying he didn’t mail things in previously but he’s been on point for the last 2 years live

LOL.
Rock on, Bro.

I'm not getting into a beef over Lars. I grew up in the 80's and cut my teeth to RTL, I still have the original vinyl of their first 3. But Lars is lazy. He could be better than he was in the 80's but he chose not to. I really like Spit Out the Bone, but did he even hit a tom during that entire song? All I heard is snare, and that's lazy. There are plenty of guys over 50 (Bostaph, Lombardo and Hoglan for a few) that can keep that pace and them some.

Metallica as a band changed the music landscape in the 80's and they still go out and kick ass. They will always be the top of the heap when it comes to metal music.

Kerry King also hasn't released a decent album since 1990, Broski.

Lombardo was part of one of the best records of last year. He drums circles around Lars's swollen carcass.

I'm not getting into a beef over Lars. I grew up in the 80's and cut my teeth to RTL, I still have the original vinyl of their first 3. But Lars is lazy. He could be better than he was in the 80's but he chose not to. I really like Spit Out the Bone, but did he even hit a tom during that entire song? All I heard is snare, and that's lazy. There are plenty of guys over 50 (Bostaph, Lombardo and Hoglan for a few) that can keep that pace and them some.

Metallica as a band changed the music landscape in the 80's and they still go out and kick ass. They will always be the top of the heap when it comes to metal music.

My personal favorite metal drummer of all time is/was Nick Menza. This Megadeth lineup was GOAT and he was sick.

I’d agree with you about From Chaos and after. Grassroots remains my favorite 311 album ever. If you haven’t heard anything off of their latest album Mosaic, it’s really good. I haven’t liked an album in its entirety (311 or anyone else) since I can remember but Mosaic is great.

I’ve seen 311 live 14 times, including one 311 Day in 2006 in Memphis. Their live shows never disappoint.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT