ADVERTISEMENT

Frost who?

Good start but the season is long and anything can happen. Frost should always be respected for what he did for UCF. He just did it faster than he or anyone else thought. I think coach Hype will be up to the challenge and has the resume to boot. Shannon has some defensive issues to Tackle after this win even though they only gave up 17 points. You couldn't have a less experienced defense as your opponent the Uconn imo.

Good start but the season is long and anything can happen. Frost should always be respected for what he did for UCF. He just did it faster than he or anyone else thought. I think coach Hype will be up to the challenge and has the resume to boot. Shannon has some defensive issues to Tackle after this win even though they only gave up 17 points. You couldn't have a less experienced defense as your opponent than Uconn imo.

Defense seriously needs work. They bent, but didn't break, and got 3 turnovers. But that 4-3, while great at stopping the inside run, let a lot of things go wrong outside of that. Plus a 4-3 means one less LB as a possible spy on the QB.

UConn looks like it's got a great, mobile QB, and we'll see how they look against other teams. But our defense still needs work.

That said, other than 2 timing/communication issues, in his 30 other throws (of 32), Milton was on-the-freak'n-money! And the WRs only had a few drops here and there, less than 20%. I'll take that.

That all said ... this isn't far from the FIU score last year, and FIU was pretty good (not tops, but pretty good) for C-USA. We'll have another 'tune up game' in our FCS opponent next week.

Then its the UNC - FAU - Pitt gameset, with only 6 days from UNC to FAU. We're going to get one tired defense. Hopefully they stay healthy.

Reactions: Knight Strength
I missed the O in the RPO scheme. Killins is best when he can get to the outside and having KZ option to him seemed to work well last year. Since I live outside of the state , I had to endure the ESPN announcer crew. One of the things they kept saying was how Milton was the 128th ranked QB and how Frost developed him. They made reference to Frost's eye for finding talent and compared Milton to Marriota. Frost did leave the cuppard full and he did find Milton. Not complaining we hung 56 on UConn but I did like Frost's option part.

Defense seriously needs work. They bent, but didn't break, and got 3 turnovers. But that 4-3, while great at stopping the inside run, let a lot of things go wrong outside of that. Plus a 4-3 means one less LB as a possible spy on the QB.

UConn looks like it's got a great, mobile QB, and we'll see how they look against other teams. But our defense still needs work.

That said, other than 2 timing/communication issues, in his 30 other throws (of 32), Milton was on-the-freak'n-money! And the WRs only had a few drops here and there, less than 20%. I'll take that.

That all said ... this isn't far from the FIU score last year, and FIU was pretty good (not tops, but pretty good) for C-USA. We'll have another 'tune up game' in our FCS opponent next week.

Then its the UNC - FAU - Pitt gameset, with only 6 days from UNC to FAU. We're going to get one tired defense. Hopefully they stay healthy.

Why do we have such an issue with tackling? Don't try to block kicks? Missed Shaqeem. I found myself saying, Shaqeem would have had that guy.

Why do we have such an issue with tackling? Don't try to block kicks? Missed Shaqeem. I found myself saying, Shaqeem would have had that guy.
We simply did not have an athlete big and fast
Enough (both) to bring him down. It was glaringly obvious on multiple occasions. Another poster shot me down and said that it was the same last year

Thats a good question. Normally when there is a change of staff there is either improvement or a drop in tackling fundamentals. This defense looks pretty much the same as last year.

Thats a good question. Normally when there is a change of staff there is either improvement or a drop in tackling fundamentals. This defense looks pretty much the same as last year.
Our defensive backs aren’t the biggest and yesterday it showed. Not sure how big the Uconn QB is, but he broke a lot of tackles. This may be an issue this year with bigger QBs and WRs

Our defensive backs aren’t the biggest and yesterday it showed. Not sure how big the Uconn QB is, but he broke a lot of tackles. This may be an issue this year with bigger QBs and WRs
Let’s look at our toughest games

Pittsburgh I believe has a pocket passer
USF pocket passer I believe
Memphis pocket passer but I could be wrong

Reactions: Mikesi
Let’s look at our toughest games

Pittsburgh I believe has a pocket passer
USF pocket passer I believe
Memphis pocket passer but I could be wrong

Those 3 and Navy are probably the biggest question marks in my mind, but i still think that Milton will keep UCF ahead of every one of them.

Reactions: Mikesi
Can’t wait to watch NGEbraska vs the Zips

Freshman QB will run the offense so slowly compared to MM/Heupel that I’ll actually be able to keep up

Can’t wait to watch NGEbraska vs the Zips

Freshman QB will run the offense so slowly compared to MM/Heupel that I’ll actually be able to keep up

Well heres to hoping that you are surprised.

Shaq missed some tackles too. Hey, you're not giving the first string D -- which spent 30 of the first 45 minutes on-the-field -- a lot of credit. They're going to get tired. A few more games and they'll get better.

That said ... I'm more worried about the scheme. The 4-3 is not as good for mobile QBs as the 3-4 in my book. I really like our 4-3 guys against the inside run. But not against the outside run or a rollout QB.

We'll see. Maybe UConn has one of the best, young, mobile QBs right now? Not sure. We'll know in a few weeks. In any case, 3 turnovers saved us from it being a much closer game.

This is just me but I feel our program under Frost and now under Hype have dialed back the physicality just a little in the spring and camp to keep players healthy. Then as the season gets underway the players kind of play themselves into the physical nature of the game. We know our players are fast and strong but they just looked like a defensive unit that wasn’t lining up in the Oklahoma everyday.

Like Riche Grant said in his interview these are correctable things. What was good though is you saw the defense giving good effort and running to the football.

I’d much rather win high scoring games with UCF Fast then go back to O’Learys 3 yards and a cloud of dust teams with great defense.

Nothing against O’Leary though because I respect him for all he did for UCF and was glad he came and helped put us on a bigger map.

Reactions: UCFBS
^ And the Cornholios wonder why we're tired of them here? They just cannot stop trolling on our board.
You would do the same thing to if you lived in Lincoln. Please don’t let these guys get off by getting you riled up. It’s exactly what they want so they can have something to pass the time.

Best way to stop all their post is to never respond. Because all they do is bait UCF fans with a general topic sometimes then once they get you replying the start the trash talk. If you do repsond back just always post facts or stuff that don’t allow them to continue the conversation. Turn their thread into another topic that UCF alums and fans would only care about.

And last why are we arguing with their fans. Frost is done at UCF and the Hype era is now officially on after UConn. I’m interested to see how Nebraska does but not to waste time with their obsessive fans.

You would do the same thing to if you lived in Lincoln.
Indeed.

Please don’t let these guys get off by getting you riled up. It’s exactly what they want so they can have something to pass the time.

Best way to stop all their post is to never respond. Because all they do is bait UCF fans with a general topic sometimes then once they get you replying the start the trash talk. If you do repsond back just always post facts or stuff that don’t allow them to continue the conversation. Turn their thread into another topic that UCF alums and fans would only care about.

And last why are we arguing with their fans. Frost is done at UCF and the Hype era is now officially on after UConn. I’m interested to see how Nebraska does but not to waste time with their obsessive fans.
Hence why we could probably need a sticky thread with an "ignore list consideration" -- not banning or censoring or doing it for everyone, but 'just a warning,' that these guys are total insulters and/or trolls.

I missed the O in the RPO scheme. Killins is best when he can get to the outside and having KZ option to him seemed to work well last year. Since I live outside of the state , I had to endure the ESPN announcer crew. One of the things they kept saying was how Milton was the 128th ranked QB and how Frost developed him. They made reference to Frost's eye for finding talent and compared Milton to Marriota. Frost did leave the cuppard full and he did find Milton. Not complaining we hung 56 on UConn but I did like Frost's option part.
They didn’t have time to implement the O part. Since they were scoring touchdowns on every possession you know.

We simply did not have an athlete big and fast
Enough (both) to bring him down. It was glaringly obvious on multiple occasions. Another poster shot me down and said that it was the same last year
It was the same. Same yards per play allowed this year, but less points. Yardage allowed was equal prior to the garbage time drive when they were down 46 against our 3rd string.

I’d much rather win high scoring games with UCF Fast then go back to O’Learys 3 yards and a cloud of dust teams with great defense.
Yes and no.

Yes, it's great to see Heupel look at UConn putting 8-9 in the box, and pass in 2nd down, then switch to passing on 1st down and running on 2nd down. I really love Heupel's play calling even more than Frost's.

But no, I actually can appreciate ball control. It worked in our favor in C-USA. Right now we're asking a lot of our defense to be on the field 30 of the first 45 minutes, and we're lucky they got a relief in the 4th quarter.

Now that all said ...

At least with both Frost and Heupel, we do still have big guys. That's one thing that I loved about O'Leary, and we're still recruiting. Big guys is how we beat Baylor, and competed with teams like Ohio State even back in 2012.

Big guys win the trenches. We have them. Other teams don't always match up well against us, many do not. So as long as we recruit big guys, I think we're good.

I'm just a little concerned with our 4-3, and the stamina of our defense. Chinander ran the 3-4 and kept rotating guys. I hope Shannon finds a way to keep our 4-3 fresh at UNC and then v. FAU.

Otherwise we could be looking at a ball control, running game in FAU that will hang with us offensively, slowing the game down, keeping it real the entire time.

Ball control offense keeps you in games where you should be out talented. You limit the possessions which can allow a victory over a better team since singular possessions are magnified. In the long run (with many more possessions) the house (better team) nearly always wins. This was the frustrating thing in a season like 2013 where we were clearly more talented than many of the teams that “hung around”. The fast paced offense aims to put teams away early.

Reactions: HammerB08
Offense looks better now that the snake in the grass is gone.

EWGwm4r.jpg

It was the same. Same yards per play allowed this year, but less points. Yardage allowed was equal prior to the garbage time drive when they were down 46 against our 3rd string.
I know you feel strongly about each game being the same, but it sure felt like we were missing something last night in stopping the QB and I attended and watched both games and replays. But hey.., we can agree to disagree.

Anyway, I definitely buy the theory from a poster who said that we stopped everything else and that’s what we gave them. Their running game was fairly nonexistent outside of the QB.

I thought we played an all-around good game....and the offense looks electric. Their QB looked faster and stronger than Braxton Miller or Flowers, who torched us with their legs. Thankfully he's not as good a passer.

We have to play 5-6 games before we really get a sense of what our defense is made of. We have to play home games, OOC away games, different kinds of offenses and defenses. And oh yeah, coaching adjustments. I think it's a little premature to know much about our defense. The one glaring deficiency was our players just hitting their players instead of tackling in many instances but even that can be improved.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT