ADVERTISEMENT

"Goes without saying" (Gus to Arkansas) @lobocane

AuburnLegacy_1

Silver Knight
Feb 4, 2022

"1. Gus Malzahn is the native son who needs to save Arkansas football

In my opinion, Arkansas does not fire Sam Pittman without assurances of if the Razorbacks can get their top choice. It goes without saying that top candidate would be UCF head coach Gus Malzahn. Although he has not been as good in Orlando as he was previously at Auburn, and briefly at Arkansas State before that, Arkansas is Malzahn's alma mater. He played wide receiver there in the mid-1980s.

I don't know if this hire would have guys like Nick Saban and Kirby Smart shaking in their boots, but I can name at least three teams that would absolutely hate this: Missouri, Texas A&M and in some capacities, maybe even Texas? Auburn has already moved on Malzahn years ago. They may have stupidly gotten off the Gus Bus, but hiring Hugh Freeze after the Bryan Harsin disaster seems good.

To me, Malzahn is the clear and obvious choice. We have seen him coach at a remarkably high level at Auburn before. In the last few weeks, UCF has played considerably better since making the leap up to the Power Five during its first season in the Big 12. Arkansas has big-pocketed boosters and honestly, the only real serious candidate for the job should they decide that Pittman is overcooked.

Getting Malzahn back in the Power Five feels right, but that man belongs coaching an SEC program."

Last edited:
Jimmy Sexton will do what he does

Kinne and TWill would be the obvious choice if he does leave

I think Gus is at the point where he's not doing things because of money. The Auburn job gave him generational wealth. It's not like (overall) he's been getting paid chicken-feed at UCF either, and I'm sure in a couple years they will up his pay to be competitive for him (and the staff...the staff is probably more important at this point...we have to get continuity for the next few years.

I mean, never say never but I think he likes it here, and he knows he can put together teams that can compete for Big 12 titles. Realistically, right now and for the forseeable future nobody is surpassing Bama and Georgia in that league

It’s certainly amusing that he would be a leading candidate given his limited success here. I know he said he’s done with the pressure of the SEC, but he would have a hard time saying no to his alma mater if they did indeed come calling. I could also see him leaving in part if the rumors of the NIL money drying up are true. I think that part could be a big deal

When the Frost Nebraska rumors started I had a dread ready for the gut punch feeling.

With Gus and Arkansas I really wouldn’t care that much. UCF is much more attractive job now compared to 2017. It would make the offseason bumpy though bc he would try to get Walker and others to transfer there

When the Frost Nebraska rumors started I had a dread ready for the gut punch feeling.

With Gus and Arkansas I really wouldn’t care that much. UCF is much more attractive job now compared to 2017. It would make the offseason bumpy though bc he would try to get Walker and others to transfer there
Same.

If he leaves, he leaves. Everyone knows his strengths and weaknesses here that we've addressed all season. With that said, if Gus would take on a true CEO role at UCF and put all his energy into his strongest skill (recruiting); then I'd be much more concerned.

Gus is not going to Arkansas. He genuinely believes he can win a national championship at UCF. He knows he cannot win one at Arkansas.

Money talks, and UCF made Gus a financial priority (by UCF standards) with the recent contract extension.

I think Arkansas targets GJ Kinne or Rhett Lashlee in the end.

Now whether Texas A&M would pull the trigger on Gus is a different story. Malzahn is a Texas native and he could win a title with the resources in College Station.

TAMU most likely going to go with the Mike Elko (Duke coach), Lance Leiopold or Lashlee most likely. I could also see them kicking the tires on Willie Fritz or Jeff Tedford.

Reactions: B R Knightz2

1. Gus Malzahn is the native son who needs to save Arkansas football

In my opinion, Arkansas does not fire Sam Pittman without assurances of if the Razorbacks can get their top choice. It goes without saying that top candidate would be UCF head coach Gus Malzahn. Although he has not been as good in Orlando as he was previously at Auburn, and briefly at Arkansas State before that, Arkansas is Malzahn's alma mater. He played wide receiver there in the mid-1980s.

I don't know if this hire would have guys like Nick Saban and Kirby Smart shaking in their boots, but I can name at least three teams that would absolutely hate this: Missouri, Texas A&M and in some capacities, maybe even Texas? Auburn has already moved on Malzahn years ago. They may have stupidly gotten off the Gus Bus, but hiring Hugh Freeze after the Bryan Harsin disaster seems good.

To me, Malzahn is the clear and obvious choice. We have seen him coach at a remarkably high level at Auburn before. In the last few weeks, UCF has played considerably better since making the leap up to the Power Five during its first season in the Big 12. Arkansas has big-pocketed boosters and honestly, the only real serious candidate for the job should they decide that Pittman is overcooked.

Getting Malzahn back in the Power Five feels right, but that man belongs coaching an SEC program.
I read your post and this thread and I gotta say the very last two sentences are just condescending. Getting Malzahn BACK in the power 5 feels right? Wait, what? The Big XII is not a power 5 conference? When did it become a G5 conference? Gus is already in a P4 Conference .

Second, I know SEC , blah,blah,blah, but UCF is already now a better job than many of the SEC programs . It's got a way better location than any of the Mississippi jobs , and South Carolina and Kentucky just from a place to live and things to do for a family. UCF is investing in facilities unlike Vandy and UCF has no state income tax . Lastly, there is a far better chance UCF will win the Big XII and play In the 12 team playoff than the perennial mid tier and bottom dwellers of the SEC including Arkansas . I think it was dumb for OU and Texas to join that conference. Sure they get more money but neither are winning that conference anytime soon. Nebraska had it good in the Big XII then jumped for more money and "prestige" only to be relegated to a backwater Big 10 program. So , stop it with how great or better the SEC is . What's better are a handful of programs but the rest of the SEC are truly just average and hanging onto to the brand.

I read your post and this thread and I gotta say the very last two sentences are just condescending. Getting Malzahn BACK in the power 5 feels right? Wait, what? The Big XII is not a power 5 conference? When did it become a G5 conference? Gus is already in a P4 Conference .

Second, I know SEC , blah,blah,blah, but UCF is already now a better job than many of the SEC programs . It's got a way better location than any of the Mississippi jobs , and South Carolina and Kentucky just from a place to live and things to do for a family. UCF is investing in facilities unlike Vandy and UCF has no state income tax . Lastly, there is a far better chance UCF will win the Big XII and play In the 12 team playoff than the perennial mid tier and bottom dwellers of the SEC including Arkansas . I think it was dumb for OU and Texas to join that conference. Sure they get more money but neither are winning that conference anytime soon. Nebraska had it good in the Big XII then jumped for more money and "prestige" only to be relegated to a backwater Big 10 program. So , stop it with how great or better the SEC is . What's better are a handful of programs but the rest of the SEC are truly just average and hanging onto to the brand.
I didn't write that. I was quoting the piece about Malzahn in the original article. I should have put quotes around it.

The author was saying Gus Malzahn being back in the Power 5 (Big 12) "feels right," but "that man belongs coaching an SEC program."

Last edited:
Second, I know SEC , blah,blah,blah, but UCF is already now a better job than many of the SEC programs . It's got a way better location than any of the Mississippi jobs , and South Carolina and Kentucky just from a place to live and things to do for a family.
when you see where most of these power programs are located UCF is definitely one of the best places to live in the Southeast for a college football coach while still having a college atmosphere. They can live in Winter Park by fired NBA coaches or if they want head East some and live more rural. The parks for family and an airport with a lot of direct flights and ofcourse the Golf ⛳️ in the offseason

Only problem is he upped our buyout of Gus higher than Gus buyout. That’s dumb. Should be the same.
I don’t see Gus getting fired before the end of the contract, which is just a few years away. There is a much better chance of him being wooed away, then being fired in my opinion. If I recall when we hired TM one of the things that was impressive was the buyout money he was getting when the coaches would leave his previous university to go to higher programs. We shall see.

Beat Texas Tech !!

I would assume Scott Frosts story is a canon ball over the bow. Gus has been there and at his age I would think he would like to settle down, if he can, coaches don't control their destination always. I would like to see a coach become our bowden.

I would love to know TWill's reaction if Gus took the Arkansas job
The allure of Gus Malzahn to Arkansas is the idea that Gus would keep the Arkansas defensive staff intact. He gave TWill his first job in coaching and hired Marcus Woodson, Arkansas's Co-DC, away from Memphis to Auburn.

If gus jumps to arkansas, we have to get frost. Frost’s offense plays well with FL athletes and with the p5 tag would be even better. It doesnt play well when you have Nobraska fat-sos running the offense

Frost proved he was a lazy coach who liked to hang out in bars with co-eds more than taking care of business.

There are reasons he is getting no run for available head coaching jobs last off season or now.

Lets just hang on to the memories and find the next upcoming great head coach.

Frost proved he was a lazy coach who liked to hang out in bars with co-eds more than taking care of business.

There are reasons he is getting no run for available head coaching jobs last off season or now.

Lets just hang on to the memories and find the next upcoming great head coach.
Nebraska paid him 30 Million Dollars. He has offers from G5 schools but why when you have 30 mill in bank.

I love Frost, probably the most fun year of football I’ve ever seen in 2017. But with all the rumors at Nebraska he isn’t the same hungry up and comer that got him there. He needs a come back tour, just not at a P4 yet. Saban’s rehabilitation program would be perfect for him.

I love Frost, probably the most fun year of football I’ve ever seen in 2017. But with all the rumors at Nebraska he isn’t the same hungry up and comer that got him there. He needs a come back tour, just not at a P4 yet. Saban’s rehabilitation program would be perfect for him.
I would take JMU’s coach in a heartbeat

Seems all the new B12 teams should fire their coaches, because guess what, we all suck. The 4 new teams have 7 combined conference wins. We have been competitive in all but two games. Gus has been recruiting the best we’ve seen and had some nice pulls in the portal. Even with the uptick in competition we continue to run one of the better offenses in the country. With Texas and OK leaving the conference is wide open and we are in a good spot in next 2-3 years.

I would take JMU’s coach in a heartbeat
The Gus cycle isn’t changing , let Arkansas buy him out
I don’t know/think he’s the long term answer, but he has done a decent job building a foundation for the initial big 12 year. His recruiting has been good and I think he was the right hire at the time. Should he leave, the buyout, at least is there for us to recover money to invest in the program.

I don’t know/think he’s the long term answer, but he has done a decent job building a foundation for the initial big 12 year. His recruiting has been good and I think he was the right hire at the time. Should he leave, the buyout, at least is there for us to recover money to invest in the program.
True. We are sitting at 7-8 wins if it’s not for a couple of knucklehead decisions throught the season. That’s what I’m upset about.

True. We are sitting at 7-8 wins if it’s not for a couple of knucklehead decisions throught the season. That’s what I’m upset about.
The Baylor game is a no-brainer. That was the biggest of all gut punches.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT