ADVERTISEMENT

"Goes without saying" (Gus to Arkansas) @lobocane

I don’t know/think he’s the long term answer, but he has done a decent job building a foundation for the initial big 12 year. His recruiting has been good and I think he was the right hire at the time. Should he leave, the buyout, at least is there for us to recover money to invest in the program.
I think the fear about recruiting is overblown. UCF isn’t some dump in the middle of a recruiting desert.

UCF and Orlando as a Power 4 Conference ..a lot of coaches would do fine in the one category everyone thinks only Gus can achieve

I think the fear about recruiting is overblown. UCF isn’t some dump in the middle of a recruiting desert.

UCF and Orlando as a Power 4 Conference ..a lot of coaches would do fine in the one category everyone thinks only Gus can achieve
Agreed. I think the positive with Gus right now is that he’s got experience in recruiting and finishing it off. Again, I don’t think he’s the long-term answer, but he set the foundation at least. He often looks like a genius on offence only to make you think twice later on. I think Ucf is one of the more desirable jobs in the big 12 even now. we do need to get the coffers filled a little bit though to compete with the other schools coffers, who had been filling them up much longer than us. The good thing is we have a foundation, and we seem to be going on the proper pathway to success later on. I enjoyed and felt comfortable with the pregame interview with the AD about his plans and what is already set in motion. It won’t happen overnight as this is our first year.

Reactions: PhDee
True. We are sitting at 7-8 wins if it’s not for a couple of knucklehead decisions throught the season. That’s what I’m upset about.
I agree. In August I defined success this season as a 6-6 record with a bowl game. However, considering the way we've managed to cock up a few games that would feel pretty hollow. 7-8 wins was so manageable but for the dumbfvckery.

I don’t know/think he’s the long term answer, but he has done a decent job building a foundation for the initial big 12 year. His recruiting has been good and I think he was the right hire at the time. Should he leave, the buyout, at least is there for us to recover money to invest in the program.
But if he stays, we're stuck with him. Besides, aren't you the guy who wrote "Although it's early Gus' extension looks good" and "Good job getting out in front of this TM"....man oh man, you really got that wrong....

Yes, I did write that. He does not have a long-term contract, as it was only extended a year with a bigger buyout. The point about stability is always important. I do believe entirely that the contract and the extension by one year added to stability. There is a good chance that he will have calls coming in with other jobs

This year there were missed opportunities, but the overall won/loss results are not without reason. Again I don’t think he is the long term answer ( I do believe he was the right answer at the time and is probably the right answer presently).

I am one who will not root against the guy when it hurts my school. I will root for his success if it brings glory to Ucf. His contract was extended by one year, which helps out recruiting and brings stability to a program when others are extremely unstable.It also does not tie him down or the university down for a significant period of time, such as what happened at his other job or is happening at Texas A&M.

Yes, I did write that. He does not have a long-term contract, as it was only extended a year with a bigger buyout. The point about stability is always important. I do believe entirely that the contract and the extension by one year added to stability. There is a good chance that he will have calls coming in with other jobs

This year there were missed opportunities, but the overall won/loss results are not without reason. Again I don’t think he is the long term answer ( I do believe he was the right answer at the time and is probably the right answer presently).

I am one who will not root against the guy when it hurts my school. I will root for his success if it brings glory to Ucf. His contract was extended by one year, which helps out recruiting and brings stability to a program when others are extremely unstable.It also does not tie him down or the university down for a significant period of time, such as what happened at his other job or is happening at Texas A&M.
Please….if you really are a UCF fan you should never get behind a coach who is taking the program a step backwards….3-9 in the last 12 games that mattered is doing exactly that….and if that doesn’t “hurt your school” then what does? Don’t try to blame fans who demand UCF play up to their potential not down to where we are right now

Last edited:
It is a big step up in competition, and a 6-6 record is a decent result (I had us with 5 wins). The big takeaway? Our front 7 on defense needs to get better through recruiting and the transfer portal. Run defense was our biggest issue....duh

And of course we need to address the QB position, just like last year.

Yeah…I am sure Arkansas will throw the kitchen sink at a 5-6 coach…who’s long bereft of innovation and credibility.

Old Gus now spends his time wearing cheap astronaut character costumes.

• Haha
Reactions: UCFsbarro
Our front 7 on defense needs to get better through recruiting and the transfer portal. Run defense was our biggest issue....duh

And of course we need to address the QB position, just like last year.

Correct on both points here. The best three players in the front seven are transfers. One from an FCS. One from a G5. And one, who didn't sniff the field, at an SEC school.

The portal is not expected to be as wild this year, but there will be a lot of movement among quarterbacks. The key will be picking the right one, provided Timmy isn't the guy.

Reactions: Shark19
Gus shit the bed with a minute and a half to go in first half. We had ball around the other 40 and Gus made JRP not snap for 25 seconds. We need a TD and he’s trying to run clock off. Obviously we fell about 5-20 seconds short of a TD. Or even a FG which would have been worst case scenario. I don’t even care about the last play. Game was lost by taking 25 seconds off for no good reason.

Reactions: U C to the F
Top 20, conference and bowl games matter in that order....not schedule stuffers like Kent State and Villanova. Mark that down if you didn't already know it.
They matter they just shouldn’t even be close and shouldn’t be the barometer on how good a coach is.

True. We are sitting at 7-8 wins if it’s not for a couple of knucklehead decisions throught the season. That’s what I’m upset about.
Same…would have been a win if he just kicked a FG on 4th and goal (from like the 8 I think). Wtf was that?

Gus shit the bed with a minute and a half to go in first half. We had ball around the other 40 and Gus made JRP not snap for 25 seconds. We need a TD and he’s trying to run clock off. Obviously we fell about 5-20 seconds short of a TD. Or even a FG which would have been worst case scenario. I don’t even care about the last play. Game was lost by taking 25 seconds off for no good reason.
This also. I couldn’t believe it a run (shovel pass) up the middle with :12 seconds on the clock and no timeouts?!!! WTF was that? That’s another 3 points.

This also. I couldn’t believe it a run (shovel pass) up the middle with :12 seconds on the clock and no timeouts?!!! WTF was that? That’s another 3 points.
That wasn’t a great call no, but with 1:25 left on clock , Gus made JRP not snap it until 1:00 left. Would have been 20 seconds left after that play if Gus doesnt Gus.

There is no long term solution at coach as I keep seeing posted. As long as we have success, our coaches will continue to be sought after. We can’t compete with the blue bloods who can afford 30-70 million dollar buyouts.

That wasn’t a great call no, but with 1:25 left on clock , Gus made JRP not snap it until 1:00 left. Would have been 20 seconds left after that play if Gus doesnt Gus.
Nothing wrong with that, was actually the right thing to do there. The thought is you are in scoring position, run the clock so you don’t give it back to TTU with time left to score.

Reactions: connerito
Top 20, conference and bowl games matter in that order....not schedule stuffers like Kent State and Villanova. Mark that down if you didn't already know it.
Lou Holtz said "Every game is a big game. If you don't think it is a big game, go out and lose it and you'll see how big of a game it was."

By your definition, Auburn's game against New Mexico State wasn't a big game. I beg to differ.

Lou Holtz said "Every game is a big game. If you don't think it is a big game, go out and lose it and you'll see how big of a game it was."

By your definition, Auburn's game against New Mexico State wasn't a big game. I beg to differ.
Hell no it wasn't an important game....non-conference against a CUSA team and Auburn shit the bed....if they can't win those games there's no reason to discuss them any further unless you're a disgusted Auburn fan.

New Mexico’s Jerry Kill is one of the most underrated coaches ever in college football. The guy does an amazing job wherever he is at.

Reactions: Black_Knight07
Nothing wrong with that, was actually the right thing to do there. The thought is you are in scoring position, run the clock so you don’t give it back to TTU with time left to score.
Agree to disagree. We needed 7. Getting 7 and trusting our D to at most give up a FG with 15 seconds left is better than running clock off and being tied at half and kicking off to start 2nd. You don’t leave points on field because the other team may tie you. That’s not playing to win. That’s why Gus loses close games.

it’s crazy how much Terry and Gus have mind tricked so much of our fanbase to be ok w 6-7 wins and Gus’s peak is probably 8 wins at best . It doesn’t matter if it is the American Conference or Big 12 mark him down with at least 4 losses and most likely 5-6.

the conference is tougher but it is more down this year than previous seasons(imagine our D vs Pac12 QBs) . That is what they are using to deflect when the next 2-3 seasons the same is going to happen.

it’s crazy how much Terry and Gus have mind tricked so much of our fanbase to be ok w 6-7 wins and Gus’s peak is probably 8 wins at best . It doesn’t matter if it is the American Conference or Big 12 mark him down with at least 4 losses and most likely 5-6.

the conference is tougher but it is more down this year than previous seasons(imagine our D vs Pac12 QBs) . That is what they are using to deflect when the next 2-3 seasons the same is going to happen.
I think six wins is OK this year but it should go north in the future. There were a lot of near misses that if went our way, could’ve taken us to eight or nine wins

UCF did not fare as well as TCU in the Big 12 in the inaugural seasons for both teams.

TCU entered the Big 12 coming off a 13-0 record (finishing No. 2 behind Gus) in 2010 and a 11-2 mark in 2011.
In 2012, TCU went 7-6, but posted a 4-5 record in league play. TCU crapped the bed in 2013, going 2-7 before a breakout 12-1 mark in 2014.

UCF posted back-to-back 9-win seasons in the G5 and has a chance to finish 6-6, making a bowl game. UCF is 2-6 in conference play.

The differences are there were no other new programs in the Big 12 in 2012. Still I could see the Knights take a similar trajectory.

---

On a side note, if Gus plans to continue running this sh*tty defense, he at least needs to hire the right architect for the Big 12.

Gary Patterson currently makes $150,000 as a Special Assistant to the Head Coach at Texas.

"Auburn's game against New Mexico State wasn't a big game."

Hugh Freeze just didn't want to give Saban any game film to study for the Iron Bowl. :p

The UCF Pres has some splainin' to do with those 2 hires. A lot of money was spent....a lot.

Seriously, enough of your nonsense Mr. Simp.

I would be more than thrilled if Gus left and we brought back Frost.
I read an article shortly after Frost was hired by Nebraska in which he made a comment about the national championship ring he got from UCF. He said he wished it didn't say "national champions" because he didn't feel like we really won one. Well, if that's true, Scotty, then how about you pay back that bonus money you got because Danny White paid it FOR WINNING A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? Frost doesn't give a rat's ass about UCF. Eff him.

Reactions: Shark19 and KISA
I read an article shortly after Frost was hired by Nebraska in which he made a comment about the national championship ring he got from UCF. He said he wished it didn't say "national champions" because he didn't feel like we really won one. Well, if that's true, Scotty, then how about you pay back that bonus money you got because Danny White paid it FOR WINNING A NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP? Frost doesn't give a rat's ass about UCF. Eff him.
So he agrees with our current AD

What do you expect the man to say? Only an absolute clown will say that UCF won a national championship in football.

What do you expect the man to say? Only an absolute clown will say that UCF won a national championship in football.
We won a co-national championship with Alabama. The NCAA recognizes it. We were the only team to go undefeated. We beat the team that beat both of the national championship participants that year, for crying out loud. This is not open for debate.

Reactions: OtterKnight
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT