ADVERTISEMENT

Grocery Shopping Habits

Knight_Magic

Golden Knight
Gold Member
Nov 5, 2007
Who does the shopping in your house?

Do you just get what you think you might need for the week. A you one to shop with or without a list, or are you the one loading up at Costco/Sam's Club 4-5 times a year and only getting the necessities from the store from time to time.

I am a fan of warehouse clubs, but due to working at a grocery store for years, I can't shop for more than two days in advance. I'm just too used to grabbing one or two things every day.

Originally posted by Knight_Magic:

Do you just get what you think you might need for the week. A you one to shop with or without a list, or are you the one loading up at Costco/Sam's Club 4-5 times a year and only getting the necessities from the store from time to time.
I wish I had the time to do it the way we did in Switzerland (go every two to three days). Now I'm more of a once a week type of deal, and pick up things as needed if something changes.

But so much more waste this way than the other.

I can't do the warehouse clubs, I just don't plan out that far enough in advance to know I have to get 3 months of TP or whatever.

There's a Publix less than a mile from my house so I shop on a 2-3 day basis maximum. Often times I'll run by the Publix to get dinner for that night. (Their ready to cook stuff is amazing)

I normally grab a few things and run. I hate shopping for extended periods. Normally at Publix/Winn Dixie every other night.

Meat, beer, chips ... other than that, ask my wife ;-)

The goal is Sunday, hit Publix, Aldi's and Bjs for the week and don't go the rest of the week, but we usually hit Publix once or twice for things like fruit or subs or dinners in a hurry.

Costco about once a month. We mainly buy TP, paper towels, meat, and things that can be frozen or separated into portions. We don't usually buy large quantities of things that can't be stored or used quickly.

Publix once a week for other consumables. If I haven't been in a while I'll make a list so I don't forget anything. I typically just get fresh foods to cook or eat within a week. I often plan out meals according to whatever is on sale, but about every other trip I'll stock up on staples, especially bogo items like pasta.

My wife and I go shopping every Sunday morning, as soon as we get up.

Two stops: Wally-World for toilet paper, cleaning products, cat litter, etc. Whole Foods for fresh meat, produce, beer, cheese, etc.

Originally posted by chemmie:

Two stops: Wally-World for toilet paper, cleaning products, cat litter, etc. Whole Foods for fresh meat, produce, beer, cheese, etc.
Whole Foods for meat, what a waste of money.

Walmarr to buy WM GCs @ 5% CB then use @ Sam's. Try to buy non refrigerated stuff during lunch since Sam's is right across from my office. Then misc non Sam's stuff @ Publix, Winn Dickme, & WM.
Posted from Rivals Mobile

Originally posted by Sir Galahad:

LOL.
Says the guy eating Wal-Mart meat.
Enjoy the mantits from all those added hormones, sucker.

LOL.
Says the guy with actual man-tits.

Seriously though, eff Wal-Mart. Petty's Meats is where it's at!

LOL.
Sam's carried better quality meats than publix or any other traditional grocery store. SAMs had a different supplier than Walmart, not sure today. You're the type of moron that believes the marketing hype.

Originally posted by UCFWayne:
LOL at the rich guy shopping at Sams for meat. I would have assumed a place like Pettys.
I also drive a seven year old F150 and don't waste money on craft beer. I generally spend money on things that give returns, maybe that is why I have good savings.

This post was edited on 3/31 10:35 AM by Sir Galahad

LOL at the rich guy shopping at Sams for meat. I would have assumed a place like Pettys.
I also drive a seven year old F150 and don't waste money on craft beer. I generally spend money on things that give returns, maybe that is why I have good savings.

This post was edited on 3/31 10:35 AM by Sir Galahad
Right. Which is why you apparently bought a massive money pit 45 foot boat. You know, for savings*

Petty's actually has a lot of meat that is cheaper than the grocery store but better quality. Their ground chuck is always 3.99/lb while at Publix it is over $5/lb.

BJs every two weeks for meat, canned goods, dry goods, personal and cleaning products. I vacuum pack and freeze the meat.

Farmer's market and/or Publix once a week for veggies and other perishables.

The wife cooks for the week on Sunday after going to Mass.

Weekly it's: Publix for random organic stuff; Fresh Market for some produce, bacon, meats; farmer's stand for eggs and other produce. Costco once a month for shit paper, some organic stuff, and paper towels. Lighthouse Seafood once a week for fish--it's the best seafood store in Central Florida and it's not even close.

Costco once a week. Publix/Kroger once a week.

Get virtually everything from Costco, usually much better quality grocery stores around here. Publix/Kroger for sale stuff we'll use.

You can't beat Costco for USDA prime top sirloin (blue containers).

When the weather is nice we go to a farmers market every other week (there are a lot in Atlanta metro so this isnt out of the way at all). One vendor has incredible pork cuts.

Other than that, Publix once a week. Trader Joe's maybe once a month. Some proteins we get on Whole Foods/Fresh Market like Georgia Shrimp or some other fresh fish. For steak Ive enjoyed Publix for regular purchases. I have a couple specialty butchers on the way home though if i feel like splurging on a $30 dry-aged prime rib eye.

However I reallllllllllly miss Lombardi's Seafood in Winter Park. Loved that place.
This post was edited on 3/31 2:46 PM by UCF-icenhl-06

We shop together and we usually go major shopping every 3 months. That's usually a trip to Publix, Target, Freshfield Farms, and sometimes Trader Joe's. We'll restock every month or so to replenish the small things and some perishables. Would love to go the Amazon Pantry route for the intermediate times, but we just haven't set that up yet.

Originally posted by knighted:

Costco about once a month. We mainly buy TP, paper towels, meat, and things that can be frozen or separated into portions. We don't usually buy large quantities of things that can't be stored or used quickly.

Publix once a week for other consumables. If I haven't been in a while I'll make a list so I don't forget anything. I typically just get fresh foods to cook or eat within a week. I often plan out meals according to whatever is on sale, but about every other trip I'll stock up on staples, especially bogo items like pasta.

Costco can often be more expensive for many items. I'm actually starting to get a little pissed about it. There farm raised garbage fish is $9/lb and $7/lb at the grocery store. Chicken is .50/lb more at costco. Tide detergent is more expensive than the grocery stores. Many things actually.

That said, I have costco premier and bjs memberships. I'm still coming out in the black on both of them, but for grocery shopping, I split about 50/50 between the clubs and the grocery stores.

GeneSimmons.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT