ADVERTISEMENT

Gun Policy in America

Because I've never taken a class and gone through the government process to get a carry I'm irresponsible? I passed all background checks, taught my wife to use it when she came in to my family and lock it up with kids in the house. So glad you think the government giving the ok for someone is how they become responsible.
DIY safety, sounds legit.
I'm assuming that it's not the government that provides safety classes but someone actually qualified. I would not trust the government with that.
Good luck! I hope it works out for you.

Pûssy shit. Where did this "gov't knows best attitude knows best" horseshit come from? RIP "gov't that governs least governs best"

Boy Scouts used to shoot rifles now grown men think other grown men need a gov't to train them on how to use a gun. Incredible.

Every gun owner I know, whether they are experienced with a gun or not and whether they are concealed carry licensed or not, is extremely conscientious about gun safety. Whether or not they know true gun handling protocol is a different story.

Yeah because my argument is that it should not be so easy to own one.
Once you own one, I can't stop you from carrying it and I'd rather stop irresponsible gun owners like you at the source. It sorta becomes an honor system unless you get caught. If you are not qualified to carry one around, I don't want you to own one either. If you own a gun and you haven't taken the time to take a safety class then you have bigger problems than just reading comprehension.

If someone wants to murder someone with an axe and hide the body, I can't stop that. They're kind of on the honor system until they get caught.

If someone defrauds a company by embezzling money, I can't stop that. They're kind of on the honor system until they get caught.

If someone is walking around with illegal drugs in their pocket, I can't stop that. They're kind of on the honor system until they get caught.

If someone is driving on the roads without a valid license, I can't stop that. They're kind of on the honor system until they get caught.

SMH

If someone wants to murder someone with an axe and hide the body, I can't stop that. They're kind of on the honor system until they get caught.

If someone defrauds a company by embezzling money, I can't stop that. They're kind of on the honor system until they get caught.

If someone is walking around with illegal drugs in their pocket, I can't stop that. They're kind of on the honor system until they get caught.

If someone is driving on the roads without a valid license, I can't stop that. They're kind of on the honor system until they get caught.

SMH
#banHonorSystems

Some people feel like they are children and need the government to tell them how to do everything. The guy could have rented a uhaul and plowed down a gay parade and let's not forget he was studying racial Islam. You're never going to stop bat crazy people. A good start is making sure we don't allow immigration from those hot beds of terrorism....oh wait Obummer wants to do that.

If you can honestly tell me that you'd be comfortable walking into any place and knowing that everyone around you is carrying a gun, I'll just drop it.
You go to Publix and the cashier and bagger have a gun. You go to a football game and the entire stadium is carrying guns. You go to a bar and everyone is carrying guns. You go to work and the guy getting let go (by you) has a gun. You go to school and your classmates have guns. You go to dinner and your waiter has guns. Why? Just because. Do they know how to handle a gun? No, but who cares?
It's their right, guns for everyone. Maybe the government should just hand them out since it's their right?

Although I know that there's nothing stopping that scenario from happening, I'd rather know that people owning a gun have gone through some safety training and they are not going to blow my eye out by accident. Or they are sane enough not to pull a gun out when they get mad at you since they can't deal with it intelligently.
Virginia is open carry. I see people strapping pistols and ARs (I mean, everything is an AR, but whatever) every day at Home Depot, Harris Teeter, heck even my favorite diner. Half the people doing so are not of North American descent. Most of the ones I know personally are actually democrats or libertarians.

Reactions: UCFWayne
If you can honestly tell me that you'd be comfortable walking into any place and knowing that everyone around you is carrying a gun, I'll just drop it.
You go to Publix and the cashier and bagger have a gun. You go to a football game and the entire stadium is carrying guns. You go to a bar and everyone is carrying guns. You go to work and the guy getting let go (by you) has a gun. You go to school and your classmates have guns. You go to dinner and your waiter has guns. Why? Just because. Do they know how to handle a gun? No, but who cares?
It's their right, guns for everyone. Maybe the government should just hand them out since it's their right?

Although I know that there's nothing stopping that scenario from happening, I'd rather know that people owning a gun have gone through some safety training and they are not going to blow my eye out by accident. Or they are sane enough not to pull a gun out when they get mad at you since they can't deal with it intelligently.
Aside from the places where conceal carry is not allowed (schools, bars, etc) I think you'd be surprised just how many people that carry are around and you're none the wiser.

I'm assuming that it's not the government that provides safety classes but someone actually qualified. I would not trust the government with that.

The largest gun safety certification program in this country is run by the NRA. The boogeyman!! The axis of all evil according to people like you. Yet it seems like you're kind of OK with "someone qualified" providing more training.

Uh oh- sounds like you may just find yourself not furiously hating the NRA for just a second.

Better go find a Salon.com article to refresh.

Considering I've had it for 9 years now and never even came remotely close to an incident, I'd say it's working out just fine

Ive been to a couple states where open carry is legal and while there saw plenty exercising that right. While I was taken back at first, I just wasnt used to it, I was ok with it. I also know several people that conceal carry. Not one has ever had an incident.

There are 300+ million guns in this country right now. If the gun was the actual problem, there would be violence on a scale weve never seen before.

Please send me a link to a news story about the last time there was a shooting at a NRA convention. I will be waiting.

Reactions: jetsaholic
The largest gun safety certification program in this country is run by the NRA. The boogeyman!! The axis of all evil according to people like you. Yet it seems like you're kind of OK with "someone qualified" providing more training.

Uh oh- sounds like you may just find yourself not furiously hating the NRA for just a second.

Better go find a Salon.com article to refresh.
When did I say anything bad about the NRA? Sounds like they are the right group to provide training and I would encourage people to actually take the training.
Not everything has to be an extreme. I don't hate the NRA or hate guns. I just put some thought into things unlike you where you just make blanket assumptions. You are in the "i love guns and everyone and their children should be armed and they'll figure out how to use them" crowd.

Reactions: MACHater02
Considering I've had it for 9 years now and never even came remotely close to an incident, I'd say it's working out just fine
https://injury.research.chop.edu/vi...-violence/gun-violence-facts-and#.V21I1bgrKCg

• In 2013, 1,670 children (age 0 to 18 years) died by gunshot and an additional 9,718 were injured.
  • Among children, the majority of unintentional shooting deaths occur in the home. Most of these deaths occur when children are playing with a loaded gun in their parent’s absence.
  • Approximately one of three handguns guns is kept loaded and unlocked and most children know where their parents keep their guns.
  • 73 percent of children under age 10 know where their parents keep their firearms and 36 percent admitted handling the weapons, contradicting their parents’ reports.
  • More than 75 percent of guns used by youth in suicide attempts were kept in the home of the victim, a relative, or a friend.
  • Assault-style weapons: These weapons are responsible for a minority of guns deaths in the US, but have become the weapon of choice for the assailant whose intent is chaos and casualties.
  • Federal legislation passed in 1997 stated that “none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may be used to advocate or promote gun control.” The vague nature of this law, and its 2011 extension to the National Institutes of Health, has effectively prevented federal funding for firearms-related research.
  • After the federal legislation preventing firearm research, there were 25 percent fewer publications on firearms compared to what would have been expected relative to other causes of death in children.
Again...good luck to you. Sounds like you have it all covered and your vast knowledge of gun safety is all you need. Maybe you should be the one teaching the class.

https://injury.research.chop.edu/vi...-violence/gun-violence-facts-and#.V21I1bgrKCg

• In 2013, 1,670 children (age 0 to 18 years) died by gunshot and an additional 9,718 were injured.
  • Among children, the majority of unintentional shooting deaths occur in the home. Most of these deaths occur when children are playing with a loaded gun in their parent’s absence.
  • Approximately one of three handguns guns is kept loaded and unlocked and most children know where their parents keep their guns.
  • 73 percent of children under age 10 know where their parents keep their firearms and 36 percent admitted handling the weapons, contradicting their parents’ reports.
  • More than 75 percent of guns used by youth in suicide attempts were kept in the home of the victim, a relative, or a friend.
  • Assault-style weapons: These weapons are responsible for a minority of guns deaths in the US, but have become the weapon of choice for the assailant whose intent is chaos and casualties.
  • Federal legislation passed in 1997 stated that “none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may be used to advocate or promote gun control.” The vague nature of this law, and its 2011 extension to the National Institutes of Health, has effectively prevented federal funding for firearms-related research.
  • After the federal legislation preventing firearm research, there were 25 percent fewer publications on firearms compared to what would have been expected relative to other causes of death in children.
Again...good luck to you. Sounds like you have it all covered and your vast knowledge of gun safety is all you need. Maybe you should be the one teaching the class.
Or I can just use common sense and have it locked in a biometric safe that the kids couldn't get in to if they wanted to, a safe that's out of their reach anyhow, a safe that they don't even know exists let alone something is in it. But go ahead and keep ignoring what I'm saying and tell me how stupid I am, it's entertaining coming from someone who said they would shut up if we could honestly say we have no issue with people carrying, and then when we all did you go ahead and tell us why we are wrong.

/sigh You say "good luck" like the gun is going to randomly shoot itself. It sucks about the kids but it is against the law to leave a firearm accessible to a child per Florida Statute 790.174.

And that's my point. If everyone that gets a gun has to go through a weapons training course, i'd be all for it. Instead, you let anyone walk into a store and 3 days later, they have a gun. It should not be that easy.
Ummm, in Florida ...

- There is no open carry, and ...
- For concealed carry, you have to be certified

So, what's your point?
Furthermore, organized crime, who commits over 75% of all homicides, does not just walk into a store.

I.e., all you're talking about is making it more difficult for law abiding citizens who are going to keep guns in their home.

That's is not what this guy was going to do. There is no way to stop these people at the retail gun shop. Even cops will tell you the only way to stop him. And that's a certified, law abiding citizen challenging them.

And that's what we have in Florida ... other than in "gun free zones," which is another issue in this case. I'm all for "sober carry" and making it a felony to carry inebriated. So let's stop debating over media-argued (from total ignorance, without law enforcement input), politically correct laws that will do nothing (did we not learn from NY State?), and get things passed that will do something!

Jesus Christ- just give up already.

First, the guy apparently had a shit tier cheap Chinese made AK that probably had fake parts in it. Two, it was clear that he modified the weapon for some reason and he probably ended up f*cking up the safety mechanism. Three, your story doesn't even show a "gun going off on its own". The guy was in total possession of the rifle, had a round in the chamber, and ended up learning that you shouldn't toy around with awful AKs. He clearly destroyed the safety mechanism and worse, rendered it so that disengaging the safety actually put the trigger in motion.

Funny though that you went to such an obscure place to find an "example".

This doesn't even touch on the fact that you were responding to someone who clearly keeps the gun in the house, without a round in the chamber, without a magazine even inserted.

If you can find a pistol that can fire without a cartridge, PLEASE let us know, as this weapon is clearly from a far away galaxy.

Norway. Guns illegal unless you make a good point you need one. Automatics illegal....then...THIS GUY...
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2011_Norway_attacks
Still got what he wanted, killed 77 helpless, defenseless, unarmed people...was very anti-immigration also. Neo-nazi.

Also, the preferred method of attack is by bomb. Not sure we can do much about that.
Which was also the instrument in the worst school massacre ... back well before the "Assault Weapons ban" ... 1927!!! (Yes, '27, not '72)
- https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bath_School_disaster

Regulations leading to confiscation only seem to punish those that observe the law.
But using an AR-15 like weapon will make you famous.

Heck, you don't even have to use one and the media will say "Assault Weapon" and show a picture of a AR-15, even if was a shotgun with more than 2 shells or a pistol with more than 7 cartridges.

Modified blowback .45 ACP weapon with a 60+ round drum ... best way to kill civilians in the least amount of time. That's why gangsters loved theirs, at least until the NRA et al. convinced the country that Americans didn't need such weapons.

At some point, someone's finally going to do it. It's actually easier to modify than an AR-15.

If you can find a pistol that can fire without a cartridge, PLEASE let us know, as this weapon is clearly from a far away galaxy.
It's like filling a car up with gas, putting it in drive -- not just neutral, but drive -- locking the doors and then jumping out. "Oh, but it ... it ... it ... was the car!"

No, once you load your weapon, let alone charge it, you are responsible for it ... just like if you filled up a car!

First, the guy apparently had a shit tier cheap Chinese made AK that probably had fake parts in it. Two, it was clear that he modified the weapon for some reason and he probably ended up f*cking up the safety mechanism. Three, your story doesn't even show a "gun going off on its own". The guy was in total possession of the rifle, had a round in the chamber, and ended up learning that you shouldn't toy around with awful AKs. He clearly destroyed the safety mechanism and worse, rendered it so that disengaging the safety actually put the trigger in motion.

Funny though that you went to such an obscure place to find an "example".

This doesn't even touch on the fact that you were responding to someone who clearly keeps the gun in the house, without a round in the chamber, without a magazine even inserted.

I was going to ask how you have such a good memory. What gave it away that I don't keep a round chambered?!

My pistol is in my (hidden) drawer, no round in the chamber, loaded magazine inserted, safety on. Hasn't ever gone off on it's own yet. I don't know how my family is alive. Even though I don't have teenage or adult children, I worry about decision making when I'm dead asleep, in the dark, with an unexpected person in the house. This way I have to knock off the safety and chamber a round before I'm ready to engage, hopefully limiting any mistakes due to being tired or weary.

I especially don't keep a round chambered with kids in the house. The instant they are old enough to understand shooting, they will be trained. My then three year old (now four) has already been shown how the shotgun works to ease his curiosity. It is hidden and out of reach.

Lastly, engaging someone in my own home is likely only to get to my kids on the other side of the house. The first thing in my hand is my phone, as I hand it to my wife.

I especially don't keep a round chambered with kids in the house. The instant they are old enough to understand shooting, they will be trained. My then three year old (now four) has already been shown how the shotgun works to ease his curiosity. It is hidden and out of reach.
It's funny how people's views of the NRA and training change when their kids go through the Eddie Eagle program. The studies don't lie ... teaching kids about what to do about firearms really works. Letting kids only watch TV and movie media, and hoping they never run into anyone who knows a thing or two about guns, only teaches them the exact opposite ... they'll think guns are for what they see on TV and in movies, and nothing more.

I swear I've had that conversation too many times.

Hang on just a second. The legislation didn't prevent funding of firearm research across the entire federal government. It prevented the CDC and NIH from enacting a politically-motivated witch hunt outside of their swim lane by banning funding directly aimed at researching gun control for those entities. The CDC has never stopped publishing gun-control oriented reports. The ban also ended in 2013.

Also, your first point is meaningless without the context of how many of those guns were legally procured or even easily procured through relatives or theft. It's presented for the shock value, but there are far more children killed in drug or gang-related violence than accidents every year.

Your third point is meaningless because it doesn't give the percentage of unsecured weapons that were found in homes with children. I think we'd all agree that there is a far lesser risk in a household that never sees a child.

The fourth point is misleading because it doesn't say how many of the parents thought their kids handled the weapons. That was thrown in as an aside and wasn't defined at all. Were all 36 percent contradicting the parents? Did the kids pick up the gun and look at it once. Without context it is so easy to spin that statement.

The assault style weapons point is a great point of opinion that you've lumped in as if it is fact. As is your last point.

You really have to put your emotions and biases aside for a second and critically analyze what you read before you go spreading it around.

Oh yes, now we get "playful statistics." ;)

And how many of those were homicides by organized crime, including under 18 minors in organized crime themselves?

I.e., the total firearm accident rate reported by CDC varies from only around 500 to just over 1,000 people a year. Your 1-2 here selective, statistical BS. Ergo ...

According to the CDC in 2013, barely 500 deaths were from gun accidents (pages 84-85):
This are two, utterly unrelated statistics! You basically said 1,670 children die, when there are not even enough accidents -- total -- with firearms!!! The worst I've ever seen from the CDC was just over 1,200 gun deaths from accidents in a year.

To top it off ...

Organized crime accounts for over 75% of homicides, with almost half of the remaining being justified homicides by law abiding citizens, usually against organized crime! Organized crime has always been the #1 homicide by a huge margin in the US, let alone accounts for 99%+ of all unlawful, automatic weapon discharges, and over 90% now by undocumented residents (which the Brady Foundation twists).

After suicides, organized crime is the problem with firearm deaths in the US. Always has been, always will be. Most of the deaths of those under 18 is in organized crime. Children have a much, much greater chance of dying in a home due to parental negligence for most other things than firearms. This is statistical fact, despite firearms being so commonplace.

You have literally been duped by left-wing, statistical switcher-roo. Why do they do this? Because if they were honest, the statistics show guns are not the issue with child deaths in this country!

Yes, not because of effectiveness, but because of media. Remember, "Assault Weapon" includes ...
  • Pistols with more than 7 cartridges
  • Rifles, including bolt-action, with more than 10 cartridges
  • Shotguns with more than 2 shells
Only about 5% of homicides in the US are due to rifles. Several mass shootings have been with pistol and shotgun only, but you wouldn't know that from the US media that displays an AR-15 whenever "Assault Weapon" is mentioned. It's funny, but just a few years ago, they were talking about how pistols should be outlawed, and rifles not, because pistols can be concealed, and rifles do not cause 95% of deaths in this country.

• Federal legislation passed in 1997
  • stated that “none of the funds made available for injury prevention and control at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) may be used to advocate or promote gun control.” The vague nature of this law, and its 2011 extension to the National Institutes of Health, has effectively prevented federal funding for firearms-related research.
Yes, because the CDC is only allowed to provide unbiased statistics on firearms, not politically motivated ones. What they want to do is get the CDC to declare gun violence as a special violence. So ... I'll ask you this ...

Do you think the CDC would include a study on the media, and the related infamy, as part of gun shootings? Credit the LA Times for admitting itself -- the media -- may be the most culpable in shootings.
Welcome to the world of Liberal lies.

Last edited:
Ive been to a couple states where open carry is legal and while there saw plenty exercising that right. While I was taken back at first, I just wasnt used to it, I was ok with it. I also know several people that conceal carry. Not one has ever had an incident.

There are 300+ million guns in this country right now. If the gun was the actual problem, there would be violence on a scale weve never seen before.

Please send me a link to a news story about the last time there was a shooting at a NRA convention. I will be waiting.

The background checks for Concealed carry is usually pretty strict. It is rare one who carries legally has problems. We have 2 friends Husband and wife who carry, I feel safer with them with us. (as long as they are not angry with each other .. of course) :0)

The background checks for Concealed carry is usually pretty strict. It is rare one who carries legally has problems. We have 2 friends Husband and wife who carry, I feel safer with them with us. (as long as they are not angry with each other .. of course) :0)
Which brings us back to the fact that ...
  • Rifles can not be concealed, and are rarely an issue (only 5% of homicides in the US, 4% in Canada, etc...)
  • Florida is not an open carry state, something that the national media has repeatedly avoided saying
Just makes you want to scream. Especially since pistol are just as effective, and can even have extended magazines with more than 30 cartridges.

Beyond that, most blowback systems are also much easier to modify into fully automatic than most gas systems, especially when combined with the energy differences involved between a semi-auto pistol and a semi-auto rifle cartridge, even a less powerful one like the .223/5.56 NATO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT