ADVERTISEMENT

Hamilton done the season?

I'm sure they're letting Cordarrian Richardson share practice with Taj and the first string.
Clearly they planned to redshirt BENTAVIOUSTHOMPSON, but perhaps they could see if after 2 months of practice, he could have be considered. He's the only other bigger back on the roster (6-1, likely near 200 lbs by now):
HIGH SCHOOL
• Played for head coach Billy Rolle at Miami Southridge High School
• Ranked as No. 35 prospect in South Florida by CBS Miami Channel 4
• Rushed for close to 900 yards and eight touchdowns as a senior
Helped lead Southridge to 2016 Florida Class 8A State Championship
• Earned three stars from 247, ranking No. 32 as a running back and No. 79 in Florida
• Received three stars from ESPN, ranking No. 39 among running backs and No. 82 in Florida
• Earned three stars from Rivals, ranking No. 25 as a running back
Anyone know anything more about Thompson?

He needs to play. He is an every down back. I admire his patience through this process. A lot of high profile Miami kids wouldn't be this cool.

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFProf
He needs to learn how to pass block and hold onto ball. There is a reason he isn't playing yet.
I'm sure he does. It's a difficult offense for a freshman to execute. However, we have nobody on the roster with Thompson's specific type of talent (now that Hamilton's gone). So let's compare: Hamilton was fumble prone and displayed little of his potential, though everyone else here seemed infinitely forgiving of his inability to break tackles, evade defenders, wait for holes to open, make good decisions, block for others, shag passes, or ever break off a long run.

I'm sure he does. It's a difficult offense for a freshman to execute. However, we have nobody on the roster with Thompson's specific type of talent (now that Hamilton's gone). So let's compare: Hamilton was fumble prone and displayed little of his potential, though everyone else here seemed infinitely forgiving of his inability to break tackles, evade defenders, wait for holes to open, make good decisions, block for others, shag passes, or ever break off a long run.
None of our backs looked good until Hudaneck came back.

Or in Hamilton's case, for the 6 games Tyler played last year. Even when our run game was going great, Hamilton's yds/carry were low. The load was shifted to Wilson because he could make reads, not give up on the play called, and make something out of nothing by breaking tackles. Unfortunately, some folks only look good in practice.

Thompson had a substantially higher ranking than Hamilton out of high school and Cordarrian even higher, of course. And neither go down every time someone touches them.

Or in Hamilton's case, for the 6 games Tyler played last year. Even when our run game was going great, Hamilton's yds/carry were low. The load was shifted to Wilson because he could make reads, not give up on the play called, and make something out of nothing by breaking tackles. Unfortunately, some folks only look good in practice.

Thompson had a substantially higher ranking than Hamilton out of high school and Cordarrian even higher, of course. And neither go down every time someone touches them.
As much as I love Hamilton, i think he may benefit a ton from having this year off now and he can get even stronger. I agree he doesnt exactly run through people and can really benefit from some increased strength and confidence because hes definitely not slow.
Thompson ironically because hes taller, despite his weight, has a much more wirey figure and needs a year to bulk up. If we broke his redshirt, we woul have a ton of RB's lost to graduation in 2-3 years. I think its strategic and will help Thompson get playing time more as a JR and SR with that extra year rather than sitting behind Richardson and getting no PT til SR year.

As much as I love Hamilton, i think he may benefit a ton from having this year off now and he can get even stronger. I agree he doesnt exactly run through people and can really benefit from some increased strength and confidence because hes definitely not slow.
Thompson ironically because hes taller, despite his weight, has a much more wirey figure and needs a year to bulk up. If we broke his redshirt, we woul have a ton of RB's lost to graduation in 2-3 years. I think its strategic and will help Thompson get playing time more as a JR and SR with that extra year rather than sitting behind Richardson and getting no PT til SR year.
We'll have to see if they decide to burn his red shirt. Though it's the end of September, we have up to 11 more games. It wouldn't hurt to have Thompson ready Saturday in case Taj and Cordarrian aren't effective, need a breather, or there's another injury. The good thing is the decision can be postponed until the last minute!
P.S.: I really like Thompson's big, long stride in the open field. Reminds me of some of the greats.

Reactions: Miltonian
that's one of many reasons why this injury sucks bc it also delays us knowing what we truly have in Hamilton

all indications in camp is that he clearly was the best RB but in games he seemed very prone to fumble the ball

that's one of many reasons why this injury sucks bc it also delays us knowing what we truly have in Hamilton

all indications in camp is that he clearly was the best RB but in games he seemed very prone to fumble the ball
Unfortunately, his great potential has exceeded his actual performance

We'll have to see if they decide to burn his red shirt. Though it's the end of September, we have up to 11 more games. It wouldn't hurt to have Thompson ready Saturday in case Taj and Cordarrian aren't effective, need a breather, or there's another injury. The good thing is the decision can be postponed until the last minute!
P.S.: I really like Thompson's big, long stride in the open field. Reminds me of some of the greats.
I agree, frankly i think Thompson has the physical gifts as far as natural athleticism to be great day 1. I think during his recruitment and early in summer he had a lot of family stuff going on that probably is still going on so that may have had an impact on his redshirt decision. I remember Frost saying something to the effect of "Bentavious hasnt had the easiest life so far so we want to make sure he can get acclimated and be successful"

Thanks for the insights, Milt. We forget how basketball is so often the only way out, and yet how hard it is to make a clean break from where you came.

Reactions: Miltonian
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT