ADVERTISEMENT

Here We Go Again!

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
This article is worth another read.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...342/ucf-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

One of the best non-UCF articles I've read ever. We're predicted to go 12-0 again according to the win pct. category. CINN is closest game at 55% with the rest of the games at 60% and greater.

If our defense comes together at DL and LB position, we will be tough to beat! We've got the QB competition to ensure that our starter is getting the ball into the hands of the playmakers.

12-0 or bust! 13-0 into NY6 and 14-0 into another NC (we'd get at least one poll to agree :)

https://www.sbnation.com/college-fo...342/ucf-football-2019-preview-schedule-roster

One of the best non-UCF articles I've read ever. We're predicted to go 12-0 again according to the win pct. category. CINN is closest game at 55% with the rest of the games at 60% and greater.

If our defense comes together at DL and LB position, we will be tough to beat! We've got the QB competition to ensure that our starter is getting the ball into the hands of the playmakers.

12-0 or bust! 13-0 into NY6 and 14-0 into another NC (we'd get at least one poll to agree :)
That writer says 9-3 though

Reactions: Knight Strength

I've been thinking LB will be a strength. How many do we return?

Every year, this is my absolute FAVORITE article. Love the chance of winning percentages. It’s just a cool read

Reactions: Knight Strength
We are very good but I agree it takes luck. Luck (good and bad) is always at play in sports.

Other than luck, a big part of our success will rely on the QB play this season.

I know DL is a concern but I feel that Hayes, Cholewa, Montalvo, Goode, Hancock, Morris-Brash, Charlton, Turnier, plus 2018 recruits AND transfers can find ways to hold it down.
Plus our LBs, SBB, Kalia Davis, Nate Evans, Gilyard, etc are proven and more experienced than ever.
AND our secondary is maybe the best in the AAC.

While we dont know how good the DL will be, I think it's hard to ask for a better situation from our coaches and athletes. As a fan I'm worried less and less about DL. QB, on the other hand, is always the single most key position. I'm also a little less worried about that now too. I'm sure Heup is putting everything he can into making sure our QBs are prepared. And if all else fails we have a truly elite running game.

The offense might look different but it will still be elite.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
We are very good but I agree it takes luck. Luck (good and bad) is always at play in sports.

Other than luck, a big part of our success will rely on the QB play this season.

I know DL is a concern but I feel that Hayes, Cholewa, Montalvo, Goode, Hancock, Morris-Brash, Charlton, Turnier, plus 2018 recruits AND transfers can find ways to hold it down.
Plus our LBs, SBB, Kalia Davis, Nate Evans, Gilyard, etc are proven and more experienced than ever.
AND our secondary is maybe the best in the AAC.

While we dont know how good the DL will be, I think it's hard to ask for a better situation from our coaches and athletes. As a fan I'm worried less and less about DL. QB, on the other hand, is always the single most key position. I'm also a little less worried about that now too. I'm sure Heup is putting everything he can into making sure our QBs are prepared. And if all else fails we have a truly elite running game.

The offense might look different but it will still be elite.
Out of 3-4 great choices, one elite QB will emerge. I’m confident Heup will help develop and pick the one. That will basically be all we
need. The offense is potentially potent enough to overshadow any defensive tail off

MM wasn’t exactly perfect in every game as a QB in 2 years, but we still won every game.
I still think losses will be as much about our luck running out as the QB play

In 2017 and 2018, we could have lost to Memphis in the 2017 CCG, USF in 2017, at Navy in 2017, and at Memphis in 2018

Were there others?

Bill C. at SB Nation is awesome. Very cool analytics expert- does a great podcast called Podcast Ain’t Played Nobody. Always been super fair to us and “P5”
Seems like a lot of work and research goes into this. Just as good as Phil Steele

55% chance of winning at Cincinnati being our toughest game is spot on

It’s helped Memphis basketball that Penny is coach. It has to help him get into QBs homes.

Heupel does not equal Penny. Penny was a star in the pros.

If Danny Weurffel was a head coach would you think kids be excited by him being a member of the college hall of fame.

Plus I know when I was 18 I sure didn't know anything about hesiman QBs that played before I was born and never made any mark in the NFL. The only high school kids know about his playing career is from UCF coaching staff telling them about it. It's almost like Uncle Rico.

Last edited:
Reactions: ahabmw
Heupel does not equal Penny. Penny was a star in the pros.

If Danny Weurffel was a head coach would you think kids be excited by him being a member of the college hall of fame.

Plus I know when I was 18 I sure didn't know anything about hesiman QBs that played before I was born and never made any mark in the NFL. The only high school kids know about his playing career is from UCF coaching staff telling them about it. It's almost like Uncle Rico.

There’s this new thing called YouTube where you can watch videos of almost anything. Not sure how old you are but at 18 you didn’t know Roger Staubach, OJ Simpson and Steve Spurrier? If you didn’t, you didn’t watch football. Or read newspapers. Spurrier recruited well. I’m pretty sure any HOFer and/or Heisman winner can at least get in home visits. Parents are involved in the process.

The difference here is Penny is coaching in Memphis. If Heupel was coaching in Oklahoma, it would be different

Additionally, yes, Penny was a good pro player and he was a bit more recent of a player than Heupel.

Heck though, when you visit a recruit’s home, pull out all the stops and spin any accomplishments and accolades to your advantage in the context of the conversation

Kids today don’t care about that. They just care if he’ll respect their decision
No interviews please! :joy:

The next time a recruit puts that annoying/ obnoxious crap on Twitter, he should get a one year ban from football. :grimace:

These kids haven’t proven a thing. Look at Cordarian Richardson. What’s he up to these days?

There’s this new thing called YouTube where you can watch videos of almost anything. Not sure how old you are but at 18 you didn’t know Roger Staubach, OJ Simpson and Steve Spurrier? If you didn’t, you didn’t watch football. Or read newspapers. Spurrier recruited well. I’m pretty sure any HOFer and/or Heisman winner can at least get in home visits. Parents are involved in the process.

Staubach a hall of fame NFL QB with multiple super bowl rings, OJ Simpson one of the best NFL running backs in history yup heard of them. Did I know anything about Spurrier outside of him coaching, nope not really. Cause I didn't grow up in Florida. Most kids don't grow up paying attention to college career from all across the country. Especially if you live in areas where college football is not a popular sport, i.e. Northeast.

I don't expect kids to go back and watch Matt leinhart, Manziel, Vince Young, Tim Tebow highlights unless their family follows those schools.

Somehow I'm guessing that that football players in high school probably know more than kids in general about NCAA players. Heck, I didn't care about football till I went to UCF and still know names like Gino Torretta, so I'm assuming people who actually love the sport know Heisman Trophy winners etc. Plus, I know it's popular to say no one in the northeast cares about football, but I grew up near Scrotum, er I mean Scranton, didn't watch a game of football at all, an everyone knew Todd Blackledge, Curt Warner etc. and Penn St. wasn't "just next door." .... maybe it was because of the successful years, but Pa. loves Penn St.

Staubach a hall of fame NFL QB with multiple super bowl rings, OJ Simpson one of the best NFL running backs in history yup heard of them. Did I know anything about Spurrier outside of him coaching, nope not really. Cause I didn't grow up in Florida. Most kids don't grow up paying attention to college career from all across the country. Especially if you live in areas where college football is not a popular sport, i.e. Northeast.

I don't expect kids to go back and watch Matt leinhart, Manziel, Vince Young, Tim Tebow highlights unless their family follows those schools.
But you know Spurrier. He’s a former Heisman that didn’t do much in NFL. He did all right for himself. You don’t think he told kids he won Heisman? If a guy that just gets elected to HOF comes to your house to talk recruiting, you probably google and YouTube him. My sons high school basketball coach is 6-10. I googled him right away and found he played at Georgia.

Josh Heupel is no Penny Hardaway. I get the comparison but it is a stretch. Penny had the famous shoe commercials and lots of hype as a pro. Basketball is more exclusive (only 360 b-ball pros v. 1692 football pros) than football and Penny was more widely known than Heupel is today. Heup can talk up his accomplishments, but what’s going to hold him back is if recruits see him using the school as a stepping stone instead of a final destination. We have the brand recognition, but need a stable coach to keep kids here. The further 0-12, the better our recruiting strategy gets

But you know Spurrier. He’s a former Heisman that didn’t do much in NFL. He did all right for himself. You don’t think he told kids he won Heisman? If a guy that just gets elected to HOF comes to your house to talk recruiting, you probably google and YouTube him. My sons high school basketball coach is 6-10. I googled him right away and found he played at Georgia.
Kids aren’t googling JH. If they look anyone up on the internet it would be UCF coeds

Staubach, I knew from tv commercials. OJ from his Buffalo Bill days and tv commercials. Spurrier didn't really know until he coached at UF. His legendary status came from his mouth and calling plays.

If a coach is walking into my house I am googling him to know who he is as a coach, if the first time I saw Heupel in youtube videos of him winning a national championship then prepare to be disappointed. However, I am only bringing this up since now image becomes relevant if you are trying to sell Heupel the player as oppose to Heupel the coach, I look at him and go... man what happen to this guy. In terms of a player he's closer to a Ryan Leaf than Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, Patrick Mahomes, Russel Wilson or name any other QB that kids want to be like. As a coach his success speaks for itself and is the real selling point.

Penny on the other hand can walk into a kid's house and probably school him in the driveway one on one.

Reactions: ahabmw

His college career certainly doesnt hurt, but I doubt it helps that much either with recruiting. I would say coaches talking about the NFL or even star college players that have come through their system and things of that nature would be a lot more impactful than leaning on a being a Heisman contender and national title run from 20 years ago. For example, If Dak Prescott ends up signing a huge deal with the Cowboys (which I think he will), I think Dan Mullin talking to a QB with NFL aspirations about Dak, is going to be more meaningful than Heupel talking about his college career from 20 years ago.

Last edited:
They give us a 79% chance of beating Houston at home. Wow
That is a shock to me considering the history we’ve had with Houston in football. In all five times that we’ve beaten them, it’s been by 7 points or less. In the three times Houston has beaten us, two of their wins were blowouts. We’ve lost the last two meetings; maybe that’s some added motivational material for our team.

That is a shock to me considering the history we’ve had with Houston in football. In all five times that we’ve beaten them, it’s been by 7 points or less. In the three times Houston has beaten us, two of their wins were blowouts. We’ve lost the last two meetings; maybe that’s some added motivational material for our team.
Houston ended up getting beat pretty bad by Memphis in 2018 and that was with Ed Oliver.

Can't keep a Goode man down! Both make an impact in 2019?

Wish we could get into fall camp practices to watch these two but understand its very easy with phones to film practices nowadays.

No interviews please! :joy:

The next time a recruit puts that annoying/ obnoxious crap on Twitter, he should get a one year ban from football. :grimace:

These kids haven’t proven a thing. Look at Cordarian Richardson. What’s he up to these days?

Richardson is playing for Jimbo at Texas A&M this fall.

Been trying to keep tabs on him. Obviously he sat out last season because of transferring. This spring game he sat out due to a family emergency. Last I read it sounded like aTm fans are happy with their other RBs right now anyway. How much more eligibility does CR have left?

Been trying to keep tabs on him. Obviously he sat out last season because of transferring. This spring game he sat out due to a family emergency. Last I read it sounded like aTm fans are happy with their other RBs right now anyway. How much more eligibility does CR have left?
He may see some garbage time. Maybe

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT