ADVERTISEMENT

Heupel Defenders

Now I'm not sure if Heup can even keep UCF playing at the level we were use to the last several seasons.

Honestly, is there anyone out there who could keep UCF playing at the level we were at the last two years? If so, who? The last two years were perfect and I don't think anyone could coach a team to perfection every year

Reactions: GoldenFunk
Honestly, is there anyone out there who could keep UCF playing at the level we were at the last two years? If so, who? The last two years were perfect and I don't think anyone could coach a team to perfection every year
Um, Dabo Sweeny? Maybe we could hire him? He would only have to have to take like an $87 million dollar pay cut.

Um, Dabo Sweeny? Maybe we could hire him? He would only have to have to take like an $87 million dollar pay cut.
Clemson has had a major recruiting advantage because of the "playoff" system. Their bagmen have the easy job in the NCAA. "You want to play for a team with an auto bid for the playoffs? Here's 20,000 dollars go pick it up at the church. There's more where that came from."

They get top 5 classes then play bottom 40 teams. I could win doing that.

Clemson has only finished with the top recruiting class in the ACC once, in 2019. FSU and often Miami has ranked ahead of them each year. USC, Tenn are also examples of teams that get star recruits and can't put it together. USC donations are counted in the $100 millions. There is an upper tier level of coaching, there is a reason why Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and most likely Dabo Swinney can succeed at multiple schools.

Clemson has only finished with the top recruiting class in the ACC once, in 2019. FSU and often Miami has ranked ahead of them each year. USC, Tenn are also examples of teams that get star recruits and can't put it together. USC donations are counted in the $100 millions. There is an upper tier level of coaching, there is a reason why Urban Meyer, Nick Saban, and most likely Dabo Swinney can succeed at multiple schools.
But when your recruiting class is 10 ten for 6 out of the last 8 years I think you are splitting hairs. I agree there are some high level coaches who are successful not only because of their coaching skills but for their ability to create a winning culture and their ability to hire an maintain coaching staffs. UCF is not going to have the ability to maintain a staff and be successful. If we are successful then coaches will get poached.

Reactions: ucfcracker

Urban Meyer, Dan Hawkins, Chris Peterson, Gary Patterson, Bronco Mendenhall....and that's not.including heavy hitters like Saban, Dabo or Lincoln Riley

Heupel is fine. Just don’t put him in the same category as those coaches that lost games that they should have won or had 12 men on the field. It’s not a fair comparison to THOSE COACHES. Every situation is different. Those are unfair comparisons

Some people on this thread sound like this mad girlfriend :)

giphy.gif
giphy.gif

Urban Meyer, Dan Hawkins, Chris Peterson, Gary Patterson, Bronco Mendenhall....and that's not.including heavy hitters like Saban, Dabo or Lincoln Riley
They could keep us perfect? Ok, personally I think that even those coaches would not. Perfect seasons are rare, even for the best. Urban Meyer lost one inexplicable game every season at Ohio State. Even if any of them could do it, any of those looking for job at UCF? So, why could you possible expect that level every year? I think it is ok to hope for it, but to make it the benchmark is unrealistic. I don't think there is a coach out there that would/could do it

Reactions: hemightbejeremy

im sure this is some kind of joke or troll, but if not, what in the UVA-FSU game or UVA-UM game made you think that Mendenhall would keep us undefeated. Didn’t Peterson lead his team to a stellar defeat against Stanford. Do you even know where Dan Hawkins coaches now? (And his record.) I maybe could see an argument for Myer, but you think he’d come here. Even if he did, he’d be retired within 2 seasons. I’m not even going to address the rest because you’re being simply rediculous.

im sure this is some kind of joke or troll, but if not, what in the UVA-FSU game or UVA-UM game made you think that Mendenhall would keep us undefeated. Didn’t Peterson lead his team to a stellar defeat against Stanford. Do you even know where Dan Hawkins coaches now? (And his record.) I maybe could see an argument for Myer, but you think he’d come here. Even if he did, he’d be retired within 2 seasons. I’m not even going to address the rest because you’re being simply rediculous.

Chris Peterson had 7 straight years with 10 + wins at Boise State and 3 Straight years of 10+ wins at Washington. As a matter of fact hes never had a losing season and in 14 years hes had 4 years with less than 10 wins. If he did that at UCF we'd not only give him a statue we'd probably name the whole campus after him.

Likewise, Gary Patterson: had 11 + wins in every season but one from 2005-2011 and in 18 years coaching he has had only 4 losing seasons.

And you can honestly say that you wouldn't take Mendenhall over Heup. If so I'd like what you are smoking...Mendenhall never had a losing season at BYU and just had Virginia beat VT for the first time in 15 years. Also, led Virginia to its first ever coastal championship. This is Viginia we are talking about. (That's like leading UCONN to the east championship)

And yes Dan Hawkins is probably the worst of the bunch and is coaching currently at UC Davis... but he had a run going at Boise State. Unfortunately, couldn't keep it up at colorado.. but then who has ever been great at Colorado.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Data is not bs but using it without analysis will lead to luck...good and bad.

Sorry......Data without analysis to provide meaningful context is bullshit..........it can be spun to be totally misleading.......

Chris Peterson had 7 straight years with 10 + wins at Boise State and 3 Straight years of 10+ wins at Washington. As a matter of fact hes never had a losing season and in 14 years hes had 4 years with less than 10 wins. If he did that at UCF we'd not only give him a statue we'd probably name the whole campus after him.

Likewise, Gary Patterson: had 11 + wins in every season but one from 2005-2011 and in 18 years coaching he has had only 4 losing seasons.

And you can honestly say that you wouldn't take Mendenhall over Heup. If so I'd like what you are smoking...Mendenhall never had a losing season at BYU and just had Virginia beat VT for the first time in 15 years. Also, led Virginia to its first ever coastal championship. This is Viginia we are talking about. (That's like leading UCONN to the east championship)

And yes Dan Hawkins is probably the worst of the bunch and is coaching currently at UC Davis... but he had a run going at Boise State. Unfortunately, couldn't keep it up at colorado.. but then who has ever been great at Colorado.
Kudos to TCU, Boise and Utah in the 2000's. They stepped up their game and competed with the best but....

Boise also played an easier schedule to get to the 10 win plateau.:

Too many people think Boise State has done stuff we haven't, which is untrue. Since 2000 we have played way more P5/BCS programs (with a higher win/loss record, National titles, etc...). We have played 56. They have played 37. We have beat more P5 programs. Just look at the list and judge for yourself. Yes, they have a better record but they are rarely playing cream-of-the-crop type of programs in true road games and we played a lot more true road games without a return home game....a ridiculous amount more. They played 16 true road games. We played 31 true road games. They have played 13 neutral site games. We have played 8 (***bowl games and kickoff classics are at neutral sites***). Where games are played matters. Other than 7-10 programs out there each year, this is the biggest factor in winning/losing.

They are 2-0 in BCS/P5 bowls (Oklahoma, TCU). We are 2-1 (Baylor, Auburn, and LSU). They have 11.3 conference titles. We have 5.3. The WAC/Mountain West did not have a title game until 2013 so for 8.3 of their 11.3 conference titles they never had to play an extra title game against another quality team. They are 3-1 in conference title games. For 1.3 of our 5.3 titles we did not have to play an extra title game against another quality team. We are 4-2 in conference title games.

Here is who Boise State has played: @Wazzou, @Arkansas, @South Carolina, Wazzou, @Arkansas, Iowa State (bowl game), @Oregon State, Oregon State, Loserville (bowl game), @Georgia, @Oregon State, BC (bowl game), Oregon State, Oklahoma (bowl game), @Washington, @Oregon, Oregon, VA Tech (kickoff classic), Oregon State, Georgia (kickoff classic), AZ State (bowl game), @Michigan State, Washington (bowl game), @Washington, Oregon State (bowl game), Ole Miss (kickoff classic), Arizona (bowl game), Washington, @Virginia, Wazzou, @Oregon State, Baylor (bowl game), @Wazzou, Virginia, Oregon (bowl game), @OK State, @FSU, Washington (bowl game).

Here is who UCF has played: @GA Tech, @Bama, VaTech, @Clemson, @Syracuse, @VaTech, @Arkansas, @Penn State, @AZ State, Syracuse, @VaTech, @Syracuse, @West Virginia, @Wisconsin, West Virginia, @Penn State, @South Carolina, @Florida, Pitt, @NC State, Texas, @USF, Miss State (bowl game), USF, @BC, @USF, @Miami, USF, Miami, @Texas, Rutgers (bowl game), NC State, @KState, Georgia (bowl game), BC, @Ohio State, Mizzou, @Penn State, South Carolina, @Loserville, Rutgers, USF, Baylor (bowl game), Penn State (in Ireland), @Mizzou, NC State (bowl game), @stanford, @South Carolina, @Michigan, Maryland, @Maryland, Auburn (bowl game), Pitt, LSU (bowl game), Stanford, @Pitt

Btw, Utah and TCU were not BCS/P5 teams when Boise State used to play them. If they were in a BCS/P5 conference when they played I would have listed them. Boise State and TCU did play in the Fiesta Bowl even though neither was in a BCS/P5 conference.

Reactions: lawknight
Kudos to TCU, Boise and Utah in the 2000's. They stepped up their game and competed with the best but....

Boise also played an easier schedule to get to the 10 win plateau.:

Too many people think Boise State has done stuff we haven't, which is untrue. Since 2000 we have played way more P5/BCS programs (with a higher win/loss record, National titles, etc...). We have played 56. They have played 37. We have beat more P5 programs. Just look at the list and judge for yourself. Yes, they have a better record but they are rarely playing cream-of-the-crop type of programs in true road games and we played a lot more true road games without a return home game....a ridiculous amount more. They played 16 true road games. We played 31 true road games. They have played 13 neutral site games. We have played 8 (***bowl games and kickoff classics are at neutral sites***). Where games are played matters. Other than 7-10 programs out there each year, this is the biggest factor in winning/losing.

They are 2-0 in BCS/P5 bowls (Oklahoma, TCU). We are 2-1 (Baylor, Auburn, and LSU). They have 11.3 conference titles. We have 5.3. The WAC/Mountain West did not have a title game until 2013 so for 8.3 of their 11.3 conference titles they never had to play an extra title game against another quality team. They are 3-1 in conference title games. For 1.3 of our 5.3 titles we did not have to play an extra title game against another quality team. We are 4-2 in conference title games.

Here is who Boise State has played: @Wazzou, @Arkansas, @South Carolina, Wazzou, @Arkansas, Iowa State (bowl game), @Oregon State, Oregon State, Loserville (bowl game), @Georgia, @Oregon State, BC (bowl game), Oregon State, Oklahoma (bowl game), @Washington, @Oregon, Oregon, VA Tech (kickoff classic), Oregon State, Georgia (kickoff classic), AZ State (bowl game), @Michigan State, Washington (bowl game), @Washington, Oregon State (bowl game), Ole Miss (kickoff classic), Arizona (bowl game), Washington, @Virginia, Wazzou, @Oregon State, Baylor (bowl game), @Wazzou, Virginia, Oregon (bowl game), @OK State, @FSU, Washington (bowl game).

Here is who UCF has played: @GA Tech, @Bama, VaTech, @Clemson, @Syracuse, @VaTech, @Arkansas, @Penn State, @AZ State, Syracuse, @VaTech, @Syracuse, @West Virginia, @Wisconsin, West Virginia, @Penn State, @South Carolina, @Florida, Pitt, @NC State, Texas, @USF, Miss State (bowl game), USF, @BC, @USF, @Miami, USF, Miami, @Texas, Rutgers (bowl game), NC State, @KState, Georgia (bowl game), BC, @Ohio State, Mizzou, @Penn State, South Carolina, @Loserville, Rutgers, USF, Baylor (bowl game), Penn State (in Ireland), @Mizzou, NC State (bowl game), @stanford, @South Carolina, @Michigan, Maryland, @Maryland, Auburn (bowl game), Pitt, LSU (bowl game), Stanford, @Pitt

Btw, Utah and TCU were not BCS/P5 teams when Boise State used to play them. If they were in a BCS/P5 conference when they played I would have listed them. Boise State and TCU did play in the Fiesta Bowl even though neither was in a BCS/P5 conference.

Agree except they had some pretty amazing bowl wins but I wasnt comparing boise and UCF. I was just saying I thought that there were coaches outside of Heupel that could come in and keep the program going with the talent we had.

Was.kind of joking but yeah they've had a few good coaches and a Baylor type scandal under one of them.
I think they compare to the cornfumblers on last time they were relevant but surely were winners, more than Baylor ever was.... historically of course.

Sorry. I think I misunderstood your point. I thought you were suggesting those coaches could come into UCF and do a better job in today’s game than 12-1 and 9-3. Clearly they can’t given their recent performance. But if your point was they were good coaches at some point in the past, then I agree. Sorry for misunderstanding.

I believe Peterson, mendenhall and patterson would all come into our conference with the talent Frost left and get 12-1 and 9-3. They would coach circles around CJH. CJH might develop but at this point if he doesn't he is on point to become UCF's Charlie Strong/Larry Coker.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Reminds me of how Coach O was on the hot seat at LSU. His results were good but below expectations. They decided, for whatever reason, to have a little patience. We see that can work out. Especially when there have been good results, even if not great.

I believe Peterson, mendenhall and patterson would all come into our conference with the talent Frost left and get 12-1 and 9-3. They would coach circles around CJH. CJH might develop but at this point if he doesn't he is on point to become UCF's Charlie Strong/Larry Coker.

how can you say they’d coach circles around CJH when one lost to Stanford ( in the same year we beat them) with arguably more talent than we had, another lost to UM and barely escaped FSU, and the final one (and this is just off of memory) couldn’t even win 4 games in the Big 12. The Big 12! (And I don’t even know how Hawkins did this season.) I’m beginning to think that you’d be ok with 5-7 losses a season so long as the person coaching for us won a lot of games 10 years ago.
“You know guys it’s better that we’re 6-6 than if we were winning 9+ games a season because our coach has a pedigree.”

how can you say they’d coach circles around CJH when one lost to Stanford ( in the same year we beat them) with arguably more talent than we had, another lost to UM and barely escaped FSU, and the final one (and this is just off of memory) couldn’t even win 4 games in the Big 12. The Big 12! (And I don’t even know how Hawkins did this season.) I’m beginning to think that you’d be ok with 5-7 losses a season so long as the person coaching for us won a lot of games 10 years ago.
“You know guys it’s better that we’re 6-6 than if we were winning 9+ games a season because our coach has a pedigree.”

Stop just stop.making yourself look stupid... you do know the injuries TCU had this year ? And that washington was replacing a heisman hopeful in Jake Browning? Or that Heup lost to Tulsa ? The simple fact is either could have come in with Frosts recruits and possibly had the same or better record or figured out the 3-3-5 defense. I'm not giving up on Heupel yet. I dont think we should have extended his contract year one and I'm at least worried that we just got out recruited by Taggart and FAU and we seem to be losing recruits.

Stop just stop.making yourself look stupid... you do know the injuries TCU had this year ? And that washington was replacing a heisman hopeful in Jake Browning? Or that Heup lost to Tulsa ? The simple fact is either could have come in with Frosts recruits and possibly had the same or better record or figured out the 3-3-5 defense. I'm not giving up on Heupel yet. I dont think we should have extended his contract year one and I'm at least worried that we just got out recruited by Taggart and FAU and we seem to be losing recruits.

You forgot your excuse for Mendenhall.

In my humble opinion, KZ was a very big part of 13-0 and 12-1. 9-3 without the KZ is a great year. Especially as I recall the Cinci game where we were inches from making several long TD passes and a very comfortable win. Tulsa loss was ugly, and Pitt hurt, but 9-3 with freshman QB is a good year just about anywhere. (Alabama, Clemson excluded of course.)

Reactions: CapHillKnight
FAU is behind us with 6 more recruits. They can’t sign all 28 so they will drop.
it's Taggart with no staff doing this, no one expects them to have a better full class from CUSA and 9k attendance for a Conference Title game . if that starts becoming our recruiting litmus test then the Program is going to have issues down the road.

it's Taggart with no staff doing this, no one expects them to have a better full class from CUSA and 9k attendance for a Conference Title game . if that starts becoming our recruiting litmus test then the Program is going to have issues down the road.
I Agree.

In my humble opinion, KZ was a very big part of 13-0 and 12-1. 9-3 without the KZ is a great year. Especially as I recall the Cinci game where we were inches from making several long TD passes and a very comfortable win. Tulsa loss was ugly, and Pitt hurt, but 9-3 with freshman QB is a good year just about anywhere. (Alabama, Clemson excluded of course.)
I agree KZ is a unique and phenom QB and loss to Tulsa was really ugly but I still say inches only count in horseshoes.

How many of the 28 were leaning FAU already? They can’t sign 28 anyway so they will drop.

Reminds me of how Coach O was on the hot seat at LSU. His results were good but below expectations. They decided, for whatever reason, to have a little patience. We see that can work out. Especially when there have been good results, even if not great.
We'll see how he does after Joe Burrows. Me thinks hot seat for Ed O in 2021.

Excuse..the guy took a historically bad program.and brought it respect. He won against Virginia Tech for the first time in 15 years and won the first Coastal title for Virginia. I dont need any excuse. Both Miami, FSU and UCF would love to have him as a coach over their current coach.

I'm really starting to think your affiliated with CJH to be making such outrageously stupid assessments.

90% of our fanbase would have supported him taking over from Frost instead of CJH.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT