ADVERTISEMENT

Hurricanes continue to get stronger

Agree. But a lot of this transpired in DC because these types of people go where the power is and we have willfully transferred a huge amount of it to DC. The more power we give to the federal government, the more of this you’ll have.

I understand what you are saying. The problem though, is a lot of people in DC are doing the bidding of private industry. So with regards to climate for instance, it doesnt matter if government has more or less control if we are just getting the same result. Trump's first EPA guy was a guy who had sued the EPA something like 13 times and didnt even believe it should exist. So yeah, in that case it was pointless to give the EPA more control, because they were basically just rolling back regulations and letting pollution standards go down, etc etc. But if we had someone who was doing a good job, then I have no problem with that. Again, climate and the environment effects us all, so it shouldnt be hard for American's to demand we have regulations that provide clean air and water without it being a partisan issue.

Anway, I am not in Florida so what is Dorian looking like in regards to hitting Florida now?

I understand what you are saying. The problem though, is a lot of people in DC are doing the bidding of private industry. So with regards to climate for instance, it doesnt matter if government has more or less control if we are just getting the same result. Trump's first EPA guy was a guy who had sued the EPA something like 13 times and didnt even believe it should exist. So yeah, in that case it was pointless to give the EPA more control, because they were basically just rolling back regulations and letting pollution standards go down, etc etc. But if we had someone who was doing a good job, then I have no problem with that. Again, climate and the environment effects us all, so it shouldnt be hard for American's to demand we have regulations that provide clean air and water without it being a partisan issue.
Agree with that but there has to be a balance. The Obama administration adopted a large amount of environmental regulation and a good bit of it was overly burdensome and achieved little benefit. There did need to be rollbacks.

Anway, I am not in Florida so what is Dorian looking like in regards to hitting Florida now?
Rain bands, some wind gusts, and a whole lot of local weather programming about a storm that isn’t really affecting us.

Already down to a Cat2. Situation normal. "Biggest storm ever set to destroy Florida". 2 days later: "we got some rain and a little bit of wind".

Already down to a Cat2. Situation normal. "Biggest storm ever set to destroy Florida". 2 days later: "we got some rain and a little bit of wind".
Who said that it was the biggest storm ever set to destroy Florida? If you aren’t getting hit, you aren’t getting destroyed. Hurricanes are unpredictable. It has been suppose to have turned northwest for days

Obviously, you don’t know hurricanes
First of all it was more than a “little bit of wind and some rain”

My work was closed down Tuesday and the county had a curfew

More importantly if you knew hurricanes, you would know that they can be unpredictable

Maybe tornadoes are more your thing?
I know nothing about them

Last edited:
There were more than 7,000 customers without power in Florida as of 12:30 a.m. Wednesday, according to the state's Division of Emergency Management

Ok.., not a big deal, but if you lost power, it is

First_Look_at_Hurricane_Damage_As_Dorian_Looms_Off_US.jpg

100-125 miles from Florida is how close this storm was as a category-5

Reactions: UCFWayne
Dude, I am kidding. Just playing on the media hysteria from last week. I have friends that are down there for utility emergency support so I was concerned as well.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Who said that it was the biggest storm ever set to destroy Florida? If you aren’t getting hit, you aren’t getting destroyed. Hurricanes are unpredictable. It has been suppose to have turned northwest for days

Obviously, you don’t know hurricanes
First of all it was more than a “little bit of wind and some rain”

My work was closed down Tuesday and the county had a curfew

More importantly if you knew hurricanes, you would know that they can be unpredictable

Maybe tornadoes are more your thing?
I know nothing about them

Nobody really knows much of anything about tornadoes other than what conditions are needed for them to happen. They're much more unpredictable than hurricanes in that aspect. Gulf coast residents have a healthy fear of hurricanes, people in the plains states in general don't have enough respect for how bad a tornado can be until they get hit by one directly.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
FL dodged a bullet. Even if it came onshore as a Cat 3, it's still going to bring shitty storm surge and damaging winds with it. And the biggest issue would have been how SLOW it was moving and the 24-48 hours of nonstop rain that it would have produced.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Here is a good read. I am a weather junkie and there are so many dynamics to hurricanes that are more just sea surface temps, atmospheric temps and so forth. Making blanket statements about major hurricanes and climate change are proven is bad science and just wrong. I highly suggest the OP read this article by a hurricane guy.

Side note: I graduated from UCF with a biology degree in 1992. As such I had to take a good bit of chemistry,physics and statistics. I had great professors who taught us science is a process and science is a process to question, to be skeptical at times and look for answers and challenge your own assumptions. I don't know, my skeptic in me just screams when people talk about climate change and it's impacts, we only have 12 years, mass extinction, cats and dogs living together and yes hurricanes. Enjoy the article.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/09/climate-change-hurricanes-dont-oversell-link/

Here is a good read. I am a weather junkie and there are so many dynamics to hurricanes that are more just sea surface temps, atmospheric temps and so forth. Making blanket statements about major hurricanes and climate change are proven is bad science and just wrong. I highly suggest the OP read this article by a hurricane guy.

Side note: I graduated from UCF with a biology degree in 1992. As such I had to take a good bit of chemistry,physics and statistics. I had great professors who taught us science is a process and science is a process to question, to be skeptical at times and look for answers and challenge your own assumptions. I don't know, my skeptic in me just screams when people talk about climate change and it's impacts, we only have 12 years, mass extinction, cats and dogs living together and yes hurricanes. Enjoy the article.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2019/09/climate-change-hurricanes-dont-oversell-link/
Thing is for every one article there are 100 saying that climate plays a factor

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT