ADVERTISEMENT

Hurt cat

fabknight

Diamond Knight
Gold Member
Aug 15, 2007
I have this neighbor with an outdoor barn cat that he takes care of every day but has had little to no vet work done on it except for the required rabies shots and such. This cat is used for the sole purpose of keeping mice and rats out of his barn. Well, this same cat came to his house with a broken leg so he shot and buried it.

Is that wrong and morally reprehensible? It's just an animal, right?

It doesn't seem right, but I'm an animal person. I know a lot of people who don't have much regard for cats so the story isn't surprising to me at all, but if it had been me I would have helped the thing.

Morally reprehensible in my eyes, but animals like that are viewed as family to me. But gotta remember there are plenty of people who view dogs and cats as tools to do jobs. He gave it a quick death, I guess that’s positive.

Last edited:
Reactions: UCFWayne
Is that not animal cruelty in Florida? A quick look at the law says it is. You can’t just kill and animal.

I would have called the cops just to make sure he never gets another cat again.

The guy is a prick and he quite possibly just broke animal cruelty laws. One goddamn call to any rescue or shelter and they would have come to take the cat and put it up for adoption.

Is that not animal cruelty in Florida? A quick look at the law says it is. You can’t just kill and animal.

Call the cops? First of all, he wasn't about to take it to the vet and pay a bill so shooting it was humane versus letting it suffer with a busted leg. 2nd of all, since he did not allow it to suffer so it is not animal cruelty therefore it isn't my business. Had he let the animal suffer it would have become my business.

He didn't just kill an animal. He did it to prevent suffering.

How long do I have to wait to turn this political and call out people who care more about cats than babies...

:joy:

I don’t think it’s animal cruelty In the eyes of the law. But in reality no cop is going waste a lot of time with it. The animal was injured and he gave it a quick death. Yeah the animal could probably have been rehabilitated, but a-holes like this won’t do it.

A lot of you all are calling this guy an a-hole. He has a different view of animals and he isn't cruel towards them. Society's perception of animals has changed but not for him, so I don't understand why the vitriol. Like Ace said, this guy simple sees them as tools. He most likely would do the same thing to his dog.

Would I do it? No. I have a barn cat and he's an asshole. But I wouldn't shoot him unless he has some sort of incurable cancer and was suffering. I personally think he will never die.

Sometimes you have to shoot these things twice because you think they flinched.

I had to shoot a poor cat down the street from me that got hit by a car and was really messed up. It flinched after I shot it so I had to do it again. I knew it was nerves but damn, I hate that flinching crap.

A lot of you all are calling this guy an a-hole. He has a different view of animals and he isn't cruel towards them. Society's perception of animals has changed but not for him, so I don't understand why the vitriol. Like Ace said, this guy simple sees them as tools. He most likely would do the same thing to his dog.

Would I do it? No. I have a barn cat and he's an asshole. But I wouldn't shoot him unless he has some sort of incurable cancer and was suffering. I personally think he will never die.

Cause he is an a-hole. Whether you like it or not, here is the LAW in Florida.

A person who unnecessarily overloads, overdrives, torments, deprives of necessary sustenance or shelter, or unnecessarily mutilates, or kills any animal, or causes the same to be done, or carries in or upon any vehicle, or otherwise, any animal in a cruel or inhumane manner, commits animal cruelty, a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or both.

Killing the animal was completely unnecessary. Like 85 said, a quick call to any shelter would have done. If you can't take care of your animals and aren't willing to pay the cash to do so, then it shouldn't be your animal.

Sure, the way we view animals have changed, just like lots of things have changed. This isn't 1875.

A person who unnecessarily overloads, overdrives, torments, deprives of necessary sustenance or shelter, or unnecessarily mutilates, or kills any animal, or causes the same to be done, or carries in or upon any vehicle, or otherwise, any animal in a cruel or inhumane manner, commits animal cruelty, a misdemeanor of the first degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082 or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or both.

Killing the animal was completely unnecessary. Like 85 said, a quick call to any shelter would have done. If you can't take care of your animals and aren't willing to pay the cash to do so, then it shouldn't be your animal.

Sure, the way we view animals have changed, just like lots of things have changed. This isn't 1875.
Key subjective word is "unnecessarily". I think you can argue whether it was necessary or not. The cat was injured to the point that death was likely if left in the wild.

Letter of the law means that both kill and no-kill animal shelters violate animal cruelty laws.

While I still think he should have just called a rescue, I think I was wrong about the language in the statute that you referenced. It's a totally longwinded, run on sentence, but I think the law is mainly dealing with any killing that is deemed both unnecessary AND cruel or inhumane. In this case, I think you'd have a hard time finding any LEO that would find a clean shot to the head to be cruel or inhumane.

it sucks because he probably couldve gotten an adoption group to come in and help the cat out. at least it was humane.

I have this neighbor with an outdoor barn cat that he takes care of every day but has had little to no vet work done on it except for the required rabies shots and such. This cat is used for the sole purpose of keeping mice and rats out of his barn. Well, this same cat came to his house with a broken leg so he shot and buried it.

Is that wrong and morally reprehensible? It's just an animal, right?

Get a new neighbor.

That's fine but if his "view" breaks laws, he should be accountable to them.
I don't agree with what he did in this case but He didn't break the law. His cat was suffering . Maybe vets shouldn't bend everyone over so badly, or at least use lube. I treat mine like I do my kids , and the cost has gotten to an all new level of insanity

I don't agree with what he did in this case but He didn't break the law. His cat was suffering . Maybe vets shouldn't bend everyone over so badly, or at least use lube. I treat mine like I do my kids , and the cost has gotten to an all new level of insanity

Not saying he did...just responded to the quote that he had certain views about animals, that's all. (Hence why I also said "IF he broke laws").

No clue what he has done from his "views" of the past.

Key subjective word is "unnecessarily". I think you can argue whether it was necessary or not. The cat was injured to the point that death was likely if left in the wild.

Letter of the law means that both kill and no-kill animal shelters violate animal cruelty laws.

A broken leg? I'm not so sure about that. I have a friend with a cat that has 3 legs.

Regardless, I know it's a grey area and no one would really pursue charges. It's just a sh!tty thing to do and that man should not own an animal.

If you aren't willing to take care of your animal, including the sicknesses and injuries it may get, you don't deserve to have that animal.

Reactions: UCFWayne
A broken leg? I'm not so sure about that. I have a friend with a cat that has 3 legs.

Regardless, I know it's a grey area and no one would really pursue charges. It's just a sh!tty thing to do and that man should not own an animal.

If you aren't willing to take care of your animal, including the sicknesses and injuries it may get, you don't deserve to have that animal.
Agree 100 percent

So here is a unique situation in my life. My wife and I own a bearded dragon, got it about 3 years ago. Got it as an infant for like $40 bucks from Petsmart and have raised it since. Its not a dog, cat, has no personality and isn’t something that’s going to know who I am. But my wife loves the thing and takes really good care of it.

About 9 months into its life after it had reached full growth, the lizard got an anal prolapse. It’s somewhat common and happens when they eat things to big for them to digest properly. It has to be fixed or the animal dies. We got the situation fixed, but it cost hundreds of dollars at a time when that was a lot of money in our lives. I was ready to take it out into the back yard and give it a quick death. No idea if that makes me an a-hole.

So here is a unique situation in my life. My wife and I own a bearded dragon, got it about 3 years ago. Got it as an infant for like $40 bucks from Petsmart and have raised it since. Its not a dog, cat, has no personality and isn’t something that’s going to know who I am. But my wife loves the thing and takes really good care of it.

About 9 months into its life after it had reached full growth, the lizard got an anal prolapse. It’s somewhat common and happens when they eat things to big for them to digest properly. It has to be fixed or the animal dies. We got the situation fixed, but it cost hundreds of dollars at a time when that was a lot of money in our lives. I was ready to take it out into the back yard and give it a quick death. No idea if that makes me an a-hole.

I'm not qualified to offer opinions on what to do with creatures that look like they emerged from Hell.

that doesnt make you an arsehole

I'm not qualified to offer opinions on what to do with creatures that look like they emerged from Hell.

Yep, they do that from time to time. Our male gets a black beard like that when he wants to show dominance over our female but hasnt hissed and gotten defensive like that in the picture. But the female doesn’t get a black beard, but has flared out and hissed once or twice before.

They’re pretty fun animals and are used to people now. But obviously, no personality like a dog or cat.

My wife has a bearded dragon as well. I keep telling her to shave it but she thinks that makes me a perv.

I don't think this is any different than the situation with the cat. Rather than kill it, you could have easily called a shelter if you did not want to pay and some here would have called you an a-hole.

I don't think this is any different than the situation with the cat. Rather than kill it, you could have easily called a shelter if you did not want to pay and some here would have called you an a-hole.

Never heard of any shelters taking reptiles. But maybe.

Never heard of any shelters taking reptiles. But maybe.

In a half a second search, I found several reptile and exitic pets rescues in Central FL.

There is basically a rescure for anything that's needs rescuing, even cow fans.

iu

hence why he shot it.
to break the law, he has to kill it in a cruel and inhumane manner. it is his cat, he can kill it

Reactions: fabknight
Hard enough to get a shelter to take a healthy animal so then..... you what call animal control and they nurse it back to health get it ready for adoption and if there are no takers it dies anyway at the despondent of taxpayers. Yay

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT