ADVERTISEMENT

I don’t see how we are going to get better

We got a lot better today! What game were you watching? This team played their hearts out! This is our first year recruiting as a P5 team so have some patience. G5 recruits are not going to win the Big 12. It took Utah and TCU 3 to 4 years to have winning records in a P5 conference and they were kings of G5.

We just played toe-
With Gus’ play calling and mismanagement of this team, I don’t see how we are going to improve.
We just played toe-to-toe with a top 10 team (we’ll see how they finish), at the toughest place to get a road victory since 2000 (Boise St is #2).

We’re not bad. We can win any game. We’ve obviously shown we can lose any game as well. Talent is there. We’re just a bit short being that we need a healthier QB playing, and some quality depth. I still stand by my 6-6 prediction. The only game that hasn’t gone as I thought things would unfold so far is the Baylor game.

We just played toe-

We just played toe-to-toe with a top 10 team (we’ll see how they finish), at the toughest place to get a road victory since 2000 (Boise St is #2).

We’re not bad. We can win any game. We’ve obviously shown we can lose any game as well. Talent is there. We’re just a bit short being that we need a healthier QB playing, and some quality depth. I still stand by my 6-6 prediction. The only game that hasn’t gone as I thought things would unfold so far is the Baylor game.
That is the whole issue. The talent is there to win a game like this. But why isn’t it there to win a game at home against Navy or Baylor? We continually have embarrassing moments sprinkled in with instances where we look good. Against Kansas State we were impressed that we hung with them for 3 quarters in a game we were underdogs. Then we shit the bed the next 2 weeks as favorites. Now we are impressed we hung with Oklahoma. Can we avoid another bed shitting next week?

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
Run after catch though, not sure how far the ball traveled in the air.

That being said, we have so much talent on the outside, we need to get the ball out quickly and have them make a move ala Frost offense.

Run after catch though, not sure how far the ball traveled in the air.
26 yards. It was a well designed play. Fake handoff right, then fake QB run left, then throw down field from LoS. The defense bought the deception.

When we threw down field it worked. We did it far too little until the last drive, when they knew it was coming, and it still worked then.

Reactions: muckdawg24
That is the whole issue. The talent is there to win a game like this. But why isn’t it there to win a game at home against Navy or Baylor? We continually have embarrassing moments sprinkled in with instances where we look good. Against Kansas State we were impressed that we hung with them for 3 quarters in a game we were underdogs. Then we shit the bed the next 2 weeks as favorites. Now we are impressed we hung with Oklahoma. Can we avoid another bed shitting next week?

Season 3 Nbc GIF by The Office
We did not have QB1 JRP. His leadership and poise, calm under pressure was missing along with key defensive players. Let's see how we finish the season

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
"Baker’s 86 yarder"

That was a short pass with 60 yards of running. All I heard preseason is how Hinshaw is going to take deep shots. Seen a few in earlier games, but not much otherwise.

Reactions: Yaes
At this point the trick play would be to not run a trick play in a game. Maybe someone can reverse psychology that into Gus's gameplan.

"Once the quarterback has the ball, he fakes to the left. No. He fakes to the right. He doesn't fake. He fakes about faking. He pretends to fake. .. ."

With Gus’ play calling and mismanagement of this team, I don’t see how we are going to improve.
Well seems you don't really have a choice at this point. Gus will be here for years unless some other team hires him

At least we know the defense can play better than we've seen previously so to me that means it's not a talent problem but a coaching problem. Granted OU did whatever they wanted on that last drive and that looked like the old defense but they were also running Heupel type offense and we gassed other defenses in the same way in years past.

Until Gus let's go of the offense we're gonna be predictable. I feel like we're reverting back to GOL ball.

As an Auburn fan that likes Gus and wants him to succeed I'm here to say. You are seeing everything we saw as a fan base over the last 6 years of his tenure. He will have a good game against a good team and then leave you scratching your head the next week as he makes some of the worst calls you can imagine against teams you should easily handle. By the time he left we were sick and tired of our guys getting a first down and running up to the line just to run the same dive play right up the middle for a 2 yard loss every single time.

The gimmick plays were the worst. He had a big fullback trying to throw the ball and it ended up in absolute disaster.

It's called playing together over the season. Many early in the spring had doubts about how the OL would play especially with the center transferring to Miami. I believe the OL play hasn't been as good as you would think with the talent we have. Also, it takes time for the defensive backs and safeties to jell.

This is why I am not a big fan of building a team on transfers. I understand why we needed them but this can't be our standard mode of operation in the future.

Malzahn is just not very good at evaluating talent. The defense plays it’s best game for the year when John Walker is sitting on the bench…dude registered zero stats. Welp.

It's called playing together over the season. Many early in the spring had doubts about how the OL would play especially with the center transferring to Miami. I believe the OL play hasn't been as good as you would think with the talent we have. Also, it takes time for the defensive backs and safeties to jell.

This is why I am not a big fan of building a team on transfers. I understand why we needed them but this can't be our standard mode of operation in the future.
This is why i want to give gus another year to figure it out (albeit with a short leash).

His recruiting has been great and we look promisig. I think we had to hit the portal out of necessity because of the gaping hole in talent left by Hippo

Reactions: N.FL Knight
I thought the way the team played a great game on Saturday. The defense played well - they made their tackles, they were stopping the run, they were keeping their hands up and interfered with DG's passing. I thought the Defense had a solid game. The offense was clicking - we were catching passes, we were running the ball, and the team could move the ball. Our kicking game was solid as well. I thought the play calling was great until the 2pt conversion. That was the only play I didn't think was good. I think if we continue to keep our heads up and play that way, we will win games.

Malzahn is just not very good at evaluating talent. The defense plays it’s best game for the year when John Walker is sitting on the bench…dude registered zero stats. Welp.
Yeah, John Walker is an absolute miss. Nevermind the fact he is a true freshman going up against fifth- and sixth-year college offensive linemen. Give him a year or two to develop and weed out the grown men COVID guys in college and let's see what happens.

Yeah, John Walker is an absolute miss. Nevermind the fact he is a true freshman going up against fifth- and sixth-year college offensive linemen. Give him a year or two to develop and weed out the grown men COVID guys in college and let's see what happens.
I couldnt read lobococaine’s post bc the dumbass is on ignore but did he really take a shot at John Walker? Dudes an absolute beast as a true freshman. I guess Mr. Citywide has gone full scarface

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT