ADVERTISEMENT

Indonesian plane crash

I remember reading how various US airlines used to avoid used MD-80 and 727 aircraft from Indonesia and other countries.

At the same time, being near the equator, the 737 and 747 had some reputations for exploding fuel tanks due to the heat coming off of the A/C units ... and even farther north (but more likely near the equator). Beyond early solutions to keep the centerline and other tanks full, most of those have been corrected using filters and Nitrogen tanks, especially on newer 737-800 units in most US airline inventory. Not sure about Indonesia.

BTW, related article (if this ends up being the root cause):

I'm reading right now that the day prior to the accident, the same aircraft was delayed due to technical issues, then upon takeoff the plane "dropped suddenly' 3-4 times and it was described as the plane losing power during climb.

Passengers were puking and screaming during this and many passengers say that they saw the engines shaking horribly out the window.

Sounds like there was a critical issue there with power during climb that unfortunately did these poor people in the following day.

Boeing's stock is tumbling out of concern this could be an issue in their new 737 Max 8 planes.

I'm reading right now that the day prior to the accident, the same aircraft was delayed due to technical issues, then upon takeoff the plane "dropped suddenly' 3-4 times and it was described as the plane losing power during climb.
Passengers were puking and screaming during this and many passengers say that they saw the engines shaking horribly out the window.
Sounds like there was a critical issue there with power during climb that unfortunately did these poor people in the following day.
Boeing's stock is tumbling out of concern this could be an issue in their new 737 Max 8 planes.
Thought I read this was an older ('00'ish) 737-800?

EDIT: Guess not ...

It says it was a nearly brand new Max 8 series plane.
Yeah, looks like the OP story was incorrect ...

https://news.sky.com/story/indonesi...med-dead-in-latest-aviation-disaster-11539107
All 189 people on board a passenger jet that crashed into the sea off Indonesia are presumed dead in what is set to become one of the worst aviation disasters in the country's history.
"But the Boeing 737-800 was cleared to return to its departure airport after making a request just two or three minutes after take-off, before the crew of a tug boat nearby told authorities they saw it falling from the sky."

It mentions both a 737-800 and MAX in the same story.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT