ADVERTISEMENT

Is Donnie finally getting Tacko more playing time?

Oldest Man

Silver Knight
Oct 19, 2001
better late than never...double, double against the AAC leaders....gee Donnie, what took you so long to increase his playing time?

and again, as with every game when Tacko was on the floor, the opponent couldn't score inside....what an asset that is.....

the good news....more playing time for Tacko will help prepare him for next year....and I trust our next staff will work with Tacko on his strength, conditioning, his hands and offensive moves (grab the ball, don't bring it down and take it strong to the basket)....getting him ready and then turning him loose to dominate for 25 minutes a game has to be job 1.....he'll be fun to watch if it's executed properly.....

unfortunately, Donnie just seems to be figuring it out....after 27 games and with 2 games left in the regular season....

better late than never...double, double against the AAC leaders....gee Donnie, what took you so long to increase his playing time?

and again, as with every game when Tacko was on the floor, the opponent couldn't score inside....what an asset that is.....

the good news....more playing time for Tacko will help prepare him for next year....and I trust our next staff will work with Tacko on his strength, conditioning, his hands and offensive moves (grab the ball, don't bring it down and take it strong to the basket)....getting him ready and then turning him loose to dominate for 25 minutes a game has to be job 1.....he'll be fun to watch if it's executed properly.....

unfortunately, Donnie just seems to be figuring it out....after 27 games and with 2 games left in the regular season....

Well if you haven't noticed he starts most games. The previous game he got 2 fouls in 4 minutes to start the game. He racks up fouls quick in most games. He will be a good player as he continues to learn though.

Guess you haven't watched much UCF Hoops this year...as it was more what Tacko did (more importantly, DIDN'T DO) vs what Donnie did.

Many AAC teams this year have targeted Tacko on their offensive end...hence why in the Tulsa game, Tacko picked up 4 quick fouls in just 6 mins of play (Tacko did have 6 pts, 2 rebounds and 1 block), as AAC teams focused to get him off the court.

Tacko's stamina/conditioning has slowly improved...even without getting some mins in games when he has gotten into foul trouble...or when other teams place a tall 3 or a quick 4 at the center spot...who play much further away from the hoop and are obviously much quicker than Tacko...which made Tacko a defensive liability.

Tacko is slowly learning how to make legal screens (called for way too many offensive fouls), and making better decisions on D (keeping his arms straight up vs coming down which lead to fouls).

Tacko picked up a few extra mins yesterday when McBride was obviously not near 100%...but I think UCF fans saw a glimpse of the future...with BJ at the point...who is the best driving/scoring threat and passes at the PG spot...which would have lead to dozens of alley oop baskets for Tacko this year...but can't wait to see them next year (or BJ gets open looks to the hoop as defenders don't want to come off Tacko).

Team played hard again vs 1st placeTemple (both games came down to the final seconds) as I certainly wouldn't mind seeing UCF get another crack at Temple in the AAC Tourn.

Guess you haven't watched much UCF Hoops this year...as it was more what Tacko did (more importantly, DIDN'T DO) vs what Donnie did.

Many AAC teams this year have targeted Tacko on their offensive end...hence why in the Tulsa game, Tacko picked up 4 quick fouls in just 6 mins of play (Tacko did have 6 pts, 2 rebounds and 1 block), as AAC teams focused to get him off the court.

Tacko's stamina/conditioning has slowly improved...even without getting some mins in games when he has gotten into foul trouble...or when other teams place a tall 3 or a quick 4 at the center spot...who play much further away from the hoop and are obviously much quicker than Tacko...which made Tacko a defensive liability.

Tacko is slowly learning how to make legal screens (called for way too many offensive fouls), and making better decisions on D (keeping his arms straight up vs coming down which lead to fouls).

Tacko picked up a few extra mins yesterday when McBride was obviously not near 100%...but I think UCF fans saw a glimpse of the future...with BJ at the point...who is the best driving/scoring threat and passes at the PG spot...which would have lead to dozens of alley oop baskets for Tacko this year...but can't wait to see them next year (or BJ gets open looks to the hoop as defenders don't want to come off Tacko).

Team played hard again vs 1st placeTemple (both games came down to the final seconds) as I certainly wouldn't mind seeing UCF get another crack at Temple in the AAC Tourn.

so what exactly is your point? I guess you just want to spar again....

as you know, I'm a season ticket holder (you know because you sent me a personal message earlier this season asking about my season tics) and I've attended almost all of the home games...

now let's get to what counts....are you watching the same games I am? AAC teams, for the most part, stay away from Tacko....penetration against him results in changed shot trajectory and/or blocked shots...when Tacko's not in the game, it becomes a layup fest for the opposition....and the main reason for this is, other than a couple of our C's, UCF is a soft team...no one is willing to mix it up...in fact, we get out muscled consistently when Tacko or Justin aren't in the game...

and if the opponent goes small then let their "big" guys shoot from the outside....there may be games they make shots and other they don't but it provides us with the opportunity to dominate on the offensive end....all season Donnie has tried to matchup with the opposition instead of forcing the opposition to match up with us....if they have a small lineup (Temple is a good example of that), we need to take it inside and dominate......in fact we should have 2 big guys on the floor at the same time with our best 3 perimeter all around (including defense) players.....if we can't play small ball successfully against AAC competition, and that's now proven, then the best way to dominate is going though the big guys on the offensive end...

but, as we've learned, unfortunately, Donnie is a terrible offensive basketball coach.....

lastly, does Tacko pick up some stupid fouls and does he need better conditioning....yes to both...but that's why you play him more...he'll learn by playing, not by sitting...the best learning for him is in game situations....so play him more and if he gets tired, push through it and if he draws some fouls, ok....better he plays 25 minutes with 5 fouls than 12 minutes with 3...if he wants to play more he'll learn how to stay on the floor without fouling....

anyway, enough sparing...I'm looking forward to Tacko getting more minutes and really learning the game under a new coach next year...the team should be a lot more fun to watch next year....

so what exactly is your point?

Thought I responded to your question "gee Donnie, what took you so long to increase his playing time?"

I thought it was a serious question...hence my reply (i.e. anyone that has watched UCF and understood Tacko's development/challenges, knew that answer too), as by that question it certainly seemed like you hadn't watched many games this season.

I now see you just wanted to go off on another rant...my fault for not recognizing that earlier.

Tacko matches up well with any team that plays slower. He doesn't match up well with teams that run up and down the court. Temple is the perfect matchup for him.

Reactions: Hoops McKnight*
Thought I responded to your question "gee Donnie, what took you so long to increase his playing time?"

I thought it was a serious question...hence my reply (i.e. anyone that has watched UCF and understood Tacko's development/challenges, knew that answer too), as by that question it certainly seemed like you hadn't watched many games this season.

I now see you just wanted to go off on another rant...my fault for not recognizing that earlier.

so, and I'm not surprised I have to ask you this, since when is your name Donnie? It isn't so why do you think it was a question for you to answer? Put simply, it wasn't.....even if you're also a member of Donnie's inner circle...

But since you started with your usual put down, trying to belittle the OP "Guess you haven't watched much UCF Hoops this year", you deserved a kick in the a##....and you got it....

So now let's move on but please be a little more considerate and stop putting people down.....

I think we're all looking forward to seeing some significant development for Tacko under a new staff next year....

But since you started with your usual put down, trying to belittle the OP "Guess you haven't watched much UCF Hoops this year", you deserved a kick in the a##....and you got it......

Sorry my focus was on the initial statement...because at first I thought it was an observation from someone who obviously hadn't watched much UCF hoops this year...but I'm glad you basically admitted your initial post was just to rant and not have an intelligent conversation about UCF Hoops.

Again, anyone that has watched virtually every UCF Game this year knows exactly why and when Tacko plays or doesn't play...its not rocket science...and ALL think Tacko will continue to improve as he gains more experience playing against a high level...as he is still learning a game many knew well by the 5th grade...but he has had to play catch up in a big way.

so, and I'm not surprised I have to ask you this, since when is your name Donnie? It isn't so why do you think it was a question for you to answer? Put simply, it wasn't.....even if you're also a member of Donnie's inner circle...

But since you started with your usual put down, trying to belittle the OP "Guess you haven't watched much UCF Hoops this year", you deserved a kick in the a##....and you got it....

So now let's move on but please be a little more considerate and stop putting people down.....

I think we're all looking forward to seeing some significant development for Tacko under a new staff next year....
He is sarcastic and does immediately put people down...I agree there. He also wears a bit of a rosie pair of glasses some times :)

another double double for Tacko against Tulane...played 31 minutes tonight and 60 minutes since Donnie started playing him more.....in the past 2 games Tacko was 14-16 from the field, pulled down 27 rebs and blocked 10 shots....very impressive.....

and the refs don't do Tacko any favors....he got a couple of touch fouls and 4 for the game but Tulane was grabbing and holding him frequently (especially in the 2nd half) and were never called....and the problem is Donnie just makes faces when he should be all over the refs, protecting a key player in the future of the basketball program....maybe the next coach will defend his players, be more dynamic on the sidelines and truly lead this team...

Reactions: (Art_Vandelay)
another double double for Tacko against Tulane...played 31 minutes tonight and 60 minutes since Donnie started playing him more.....in the past 2 games Tacko was 14-16 from the field, pulled down 27 rebs and blocked 10 shots....very impressive.....

and the refs don't do Tacko any favors....he got a couple of touch fouls and 4 for the game but Tulane was grabbing and holding him frequently (especially in the 2nd half) and were never called....and the problem is Donnie just makes faces when he should be all over the refs, protecting a key player in the future of the basketball program....maybe the next coach will defend his players, be more dynamic on the sidelines and truly lead this team...

Another solid game by Tacko...didn't have 1 foul in the 1st half...which really helped (kept him on the court)...but yeah, it seems the refs always want to call some silly ticky-tacky fouls when Tacko gets a little tired after racking up 60 mins in just the last 2 games. (ended the last 2 games with 4 fouls each).

Here's Tacko's box scores for the last 2 games:

at Temple
29 mins, 6-8 FG, 13 pts, 14 rebounds, 5 blocks, 2 assists

TULANE
31 mins, 8-8 FG, 17 pts, 13 rebounds, 5 blocks, 1 assist
-----------------------------------------------------------------
60 mins, 14-16 FG 87.5%, 27 rebounds, 10 blocks, 3 assists

Glad the Seniors were sent off with a W last night...have tough game at UCONN this weekend...and whoever UCF plays in the AAC Tourn (USF, ECU or Tulane), UCF will have to beat that opponent for the 3rd time this season (never easy to do).

Tacko matches up well with any team that plays slower. He doesn't match up well with teams that run up and down the court. Temple is the perfect matchup for him.
This is a conference with no real centers or tall players. If we'd press after a score or had coaches who taught players how to block out, then Tacko could buy time to get back on fast breaking teams. P.S.: UCF had the softest schedule in the conference (only had to play SMU and Cincy once each) or else we would have finished even lower.

This is a conference with no real centers or tall players. If we'd press after a score or had coaches who taught players how to block out, then Tacko could buy time to get back on fast breaking teams. P.S.: UCF had the softest schedule in the conference (only had to play SMU and Cincy once each) or else we would have finished even lower.

UCONN's Brimah is a very good traditional tall center (7' 0") who's pretty quick...but Tacko had a very good game vs him/UCONN last weekend.

In tonight's game...Tulane has a 3 headed monster at the 4-5 spot...with 6' 11" Smith, a traditional 5 (UCF got him into foul trouble last game), 6' 10" Paul (with big hops, believe he has at least 1 blocked shot vs Tacko), but their best player is a tweener 6' 9" Osetkowski, who can shoot from range and can cause fits for 4/5's.

In the last UCF/Tulane game...Fall did not guard Osetkowski.

Most of the college game across the country is going to more 3's and 4's on the court vs "traditional" 5's...as I think thats where incoming UCF recruit Hazen...who will probably be a stretch 4 for UCF (especially if Fall and McBride are both back next year).

No doubt if UCF could win tonight, they would have really liked to match up/play Temple in Round 2 (if Houston had surpassed them in standings), as UH is a quick/veteran (P5 transfers) team that is now the hottest team in the conf.

Anyway...one game at a time...Go Knights! Beat Tulane (again!)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT