ADVERTISEMENT

Is GOL being honored at halftime of Tulsa game?

We can't forget his impact on academics can we? His time had come but his impact was undeniable unless you're a historical revisionist. My greatest disappointment was that he didn't leave after Fiesta Bowl but would we have Frost now if he had? Also, Hitt talked him into staying and let him become temporary A.D. last year.

BTW...The Dungeon is reporting the recognition will actually be between the 1st & 2nd Qtr.

Blame the small group of donors not the booers

So the petty and classless booers are the ones who will embarrass the university and we should blame the ones who donated millions of dollars? Okay hater, ya making real good sense now.

Oh, and don't you think that a number of idiot fans who boo will catch the attention of Mr. Sensationalism at the Slantinal (Bianci) and will write a whole column on how classless and ridiculous our fans are and talk endlessly on his radio show about it? He is well know for making fun of a fan base he calls apathetic and lame, this is the last thing we need.

Most of the big donors are no shows on game day. Glad for the money but UCF is more a pet project than they are diehard fans.

Just read Sentinel article about the statue. It says GOL has been receiving treatment for Melanoma, the most aggressive and dangerous form of skin cancer. Hope he gets well!

Reactions: Knight_Light
Just read Sentinel article about the statue. It says GOL has been receiving treatment for Melanoma, the most aggressive and dangerous form of skin cancer. Hope he gets well!
We should be reapectful and not boo. It will look terrible and classless.

Yes, GOL neglected skin exams and treatment during his coaching years at UCF. Therefore, he has put himself at risk. Apparently he did not treat his less severe skin cancers with the recommended surgery in order to not miss time coaching.

"He understands the polarizing views it will draw and is prepared for mixed reactions.

"I have no control over that," O'Leary said. "I think the people that were there when we first started and saw what was accomplished as far as the program itself [will appreciate it.]"

This pretty much sums it up. For the most part those who were around before he took over understand how big his accomplishments at UCF are.

Does anyone know where is the statue going to be located?

Last edited:
It would not have mattered much if they waited one more year. The booing is classless, but people tend to be classless.

I never understood the hate, I understand not loving the guy. He won us 4 conf championships, a BCS bowl, turned around a program that was at rock bottom, and graduated young men. Were there bad years? Yes, but keep it in perspective. As for Planchard, it was a sad day, He was not denied water, They were guilty of not realizing what was happening sooner, but from what I have read, It may not have mattered if they did. Once the sickle cell process starts, it is very hard to stop.
Then comes the $200k fee, it was better for him and the school that they delayed the payment. It happens all the time, get over it. If you don't want to cheer fine, just sit on your hands, and act like a grown up.

A few of us predicted his health might be the reason they are rushing the statue and honoring ceremony. Hope he gets better and beats the cancer.

This would make sense. Maybe the guy is pretty bad and people are concerned that he would not be around for the ceremony if they wait. This would explain the haste.

Reactions: UCFProud and Mikesi
So the petty and classless booers are the ones who will embarrass the university and we should blame the ones who donated millions of dollars? Okay hater, ya making real good sense now.

Oh, and don't you think that a number of idiot fans who boo will catch the attention of Mr. Sensationalism at the Slantinal (Bianci) and will write a whole column on how classless and ridiculous our fans are and talk endlessly on his radio show about it? He is well know for making fun of a fan base he calls apathetic and lame, this is the last thing we need.

If a tiger attacks a zoo visitor through a fence, do you blame the tiger or the people running the zoo?

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
Borrowed fromthe Dungeon...
73263781.jpg

LOL on one liners above. That is great Da*Slant article. Go O'leary! Go Knights! Looking forward to standing and cheering. Marc Daniels had a long segment talking about the Statue this morning. He seemed to have mixed feelings towards it. But, that statue maker dude sums it up pretty good. Its a part of our history. Lets own it as we move forward! Go Knights! (Beat Tulsa)....

It's going to look really bad and awkward if we boo. Looks bad for the program overall if we treat long-term dedicated coaches that way. I'm going to cheer loudly out of respect.

Reactions: Square Knight
WTF is this analogy supposed to mean? Are our fans mindless animals in need of containment or something?
It means it's mob mentality. To an individual fan, you can reason and they'll understand. Even if they hate GOL for whatever reason, they'll understand it reflects poorly on UCF to boo and they'll just sit or go to the concession stand. A mass of drunk fans just need the spurring of a boo to join in. So yes, as a group, they are mindless.

It's not easy being a successful coach (or a political candidate). Fans are fickle and demanding. Bobby Knight, Woody Hayes, Joe Paterno, Johnny Wooden all dealt with it differently. GOL's approach: he did it his way, that's for sure.

So far no Dennis Dodd Hit Pieces. But, you know that is coming. LOL. Oh dear, I don't know how we will survive another Dennis-Dodd-I-Hate-George-Oleary article...

As it should. agree or disagree, Oleary certainly did not damage UCF. was there bumps yes, but the good definatly matched the bad.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT