ADVERTISEMENT

Is it me or does the defense play UCFiercer...

firm_bizzle

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Jul 24, 2008
when Mack is playing. Also, the combo of AK and MM was a bit suspect this year, however MM/McRae or DM/AK or McRae has been great. I don’t think you can effectively have 2 small guys at QB and RB.

I predict another big day for McRae and Killins with Mack getting some long touchdowns to Nixon and Snelson. Stretch the field kinda game.

when Mack is playing. Also, the combo of AK and MM was a bit suspect this year, however MM/McRae or DM/AK or McRae has been great. I don’t think you can effectively have 2 small guys at QB and RB.

I predict another big day for McRae and Killins with Mack getting some long touchdowns to Nixon and Snelson. Stretch the field kinda game.
Mack is a load to bring down the defense has to be ready for him being so physical. He’s potentially more of a running threat than MM when it’s not just trying to get a first down. He’s a definite change of pace along with Taj
that opens up the running game for the smaller and quicker backs to take it to the house.

I 100% agree with your assessment. I’m expecting Killins to break 1 or 2 on Saturday.
It all comes down to stopping their running game, because I don’t think they can count on Brady White winning a game like Ferguson was capable of.

they weren't fierce against ECU. our most complete defensive performances are: pitt, cincy, usf. 2nd halves against memphis and temple were also great. only one involved mack. they are big game and big moment players (and defensive staff).

Mccrae is smaller than people think. He's the same size as Milton. Regardless, I'm looking forward to having so many threats on the ground.

they weren't fierce against ECU. our most complete defensive performances are: pitt, cincy, usf. 2nd halves against memphis and temple were also great. only one involved mack. they are big game and big moment players (and defensive staff).
They were pretty #UCFierce against ECU. Big plays all around. 10 total points.

I think the front 7 is improving in general because the rotational guys are getting better.....I'm now seeing guys making plays with names I don't recognize from earlier in the year.

Gap integrity and penetration are going hand in hand. If the penetration isn't even to some extent across the front then there is a huge hole, creating space. Defense is about eliminating space.

The players are taking ownership of their gaps and we're seeing more equal penetration by the DL. In addition, the LBs and DBs are tackling better.

Personally, I don't like the 3-man front of the previous D because you're making the gaps too large at the get go and give the offensive lineman more room to step through the gaps and block the LBs.

Perhaps more effective use of the option can help loosen things up. Definitely need to take some deep shots.....

I think the defense mainly has adjusted to the switch to 4-3 defense. RS has coached very good defenses in his career.
This. Like most teams in college, personnel-wise UCF is more suited for a 4-3 or 4-2-5. The 3-4 just puts too much stress on OLBs and the NT.

Our D has had its ups and downs adjusting to a new scheme. When it came down to the W, they pulled through. Some of their problems were just due to the fact Heupel needed to slow the offense down. The D made a big stop and got 3 minutes of rest in real time before they were back on the field. Most of our opponents won the ball control stat so our D became gassed by the end. The only game I was disappointed with was Memphis in the first half. Most of the problems were mental mistakes they cleaned up at half time. My expectation is that we will see a good Defensive game from our team this weekend. I expect Mack will be getting a couple of pass plays this week and working with our WR. Our D needs to prep vs Henderson and make their QB win by throwing the ball. Mack needs to win by getting a couple of plays going and working on getting 1st downs. Just work on that and it will all come. MM did that when the first drive fizzled a couple of times. Once he got a first down, his confidence was back and he was throwing TDs the rest of the day.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT