ADVERTISEMENT

Jason Johnson Postgame Interview

he wanted to say something, but he thought better of it and was like "nah F it, not trying to add more fuel to the fire."
You would hope as a team captain he is ripping the team in the locker room about the performance and not throwing in the towel.

Lawd! That last answer from him isn't something you wanna hear.
Jason is our workhorse on D again this year....and he plays his heart out week in and week out. He did again today. Unfortunately, he can't carry the D on his back. Last week our DE's didn't show up and this week it was our other LB's and our Secondary who played like they never came out of the locker room in the second half. Baylor's receivers were wide open and their running backs ran over our defenders in the second half. This is back-to-back weeks that we were totally outplayed in the second half. The Coaches have to get our guys playing for a full 48 minutes. We didn't tonight and we didn't last week. It's also time that the fans call out our coaches and for our coaches to get this corrected. Let's start with Gus...he and his staff shit the bed tonight! And worse, in the second half we witnessed piss poor game management and a complete lack of recognition that we were losing the momentum. We continue to make too many mistakes and turn the ball over. It's time to fix our problems. The past 2 weeks (and especially today) have been unacceptable. It has to stop now.

Jason is our workhorse on D again this year....and he plays his heart out week in and week out. He did again today. Unfortunately, he can't carry the D on his back. Last week our DE's didn't show up and this week it was our other LB's and our Secondary who played like they never came out of the locker room in the second half. Baylor's receivers were wide open and their running backs ran over our defenders in the second half. This is back-to-back weeks that we were totally outplayed in the second half. The Coaches have to get our guys playing for a full 48 minutes. We didn't tonight and we didn't last week. It's also time that the fans call out our coaches and for our coaches to get this corrected. Let's start with Gus...he and his staff shit the bed tonight! And worse, in the second half we witnessed piss poor game management and a complete lack of recognition that we were losing the momentum. We continue to make too many mistakes and turn the ball over. It's time to fix our problems. The past 2 weeks (and especially today) have been unacceptable. It has to stop now.
They need to play for the full 60 minutes, they did play for 48 minutes, it was the last 12 minutes of the 4th quarter that lost us the game.

Reactions: MercedesKnight
They need to play for the full 60 minutes, they did play for 48 minutes, it was the last 12 minutes of the 4th quarter that lost us the game.
Yep 60 not 48...but the real problem was getting out scored 29-0 in a quarter and a half. That's unbelievable and even worse, we made no adjustments to stop the momentum change on O or on D. We've got to stop losing games that we should win at home. It's Gus' biggest flaw and keeps this program from progressing.

Reactions: Knight59
Yep 60 not 48...but the real problem was getting out scored 29-0 in a quarter and a half. That's unbelievable and even worse, we made no adjustments to stop the momentum change on O or on D. We've got to stop losing games that we should win at home. It's Gus' biggest flaw and keeps this program from progressing.
I 100% agree. Here’s the thing, no matter what in any objective scenario can a team blow a 35-7 lead by being out scored 29-0 at the end of the game (at home). That’s on leadership ie.. coaching. We clearly will never be anything other than mediocre under the current coaching regime. I haven’t been a Gus critic nor a nut hugger, but after last night (and I stayed until the end of the game btw) I have lost confidence in coach Gus and this team. The product on the field is “underachieving”. It’s like the difference between a genuine Rolex and a cheap Chinese knockoff (read not even close). As a season ticket holder it hurts me to say that.

Last edited:
I 100% agree. Here’s the thing, no matter what in any objective scenario can a team blow a 35-7 lead by being out scored 29-0 at the end of the game (at home). That’s on leadership ie.. coaching. We clearly will never be anything other than mediocre under the current coaching regime. I haven’t been a Gus critic nor a nut hugger, but after last night (and I stayed until the end of the game btw) I have lost confidence in coach Gus and this team. The product on the field is shitty. As a season ticket holder it hurts me to say that.
I would be kinder and say the product on the field is underachieving. And, for the most part, that's on the Coaches. They've got to put the players in a position to succeed and last night you could feel that slipping away throughout the last 22 minutes. But nothing to stop the negativity came from the sidelines. Gus is a good talker, but now it's time he walks the talk.

I 100% agree.
I would be kinder and say the product on the field is underachieving. And, for the most part, that's on the Coaches. They've got to put the players in a position to succeed and last night you could feel that slipping away throughout the last 22 minutes. But nothing to stop the negativity came from the sidelines. Gus is a good talker, but now it's time he walks the talk.
He’s a very good recruiter too, however, a mediocre headcoach in the year 2023.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guinness_Knight
I’m starting to think Gus is in retirement mode and knows his job security it locked up. He even said when he first took over that this is the perfect job where you don’t have the same stress as being the head coach of auburn. You know where his heads at

Lawd! That last answer from him isn't something you wanna hear.
Nevertheless, for a young man to stand up there fielding these questions after such an embarrassing loss is impressive in its own right. I am not familiar enough with all the post game pressers, but I sure hope the coaches were drilled like this young man was. Good for him in keeping his cool and looking forward.

Nevertheless, for a young man to stand up there fielding these questions after such an embarrassing loss is impressive in its own right. I am not familiar enough with all the post game pressers, but I sure hope the coaches were drilled like this young man was. Good for him in keeping his cool and looking forward.
None of the press asks tough questions (most certainly not @Brandon) because they're all HS bullied nerds who never grew a pair.

Last edited:
Agree and why do we keep sending out the players to answer questions? Where are all of the other coaches. Were in particular were the defensive coaches?

This is a transition year. I never expected us to be a force in the conference this year. I did expect to show we can be competitive this year, and we have done that despite the two conference losses and the way in which they have occurred.

Gus realizes that we need lots of improvements personnel wise with our linebackers and defensive backs. He is addressing that through the overwhelming focus of high level DBs and linebackers in this recruiting class. I'm sure he will address it even more with transfers once the portal opens up. We have seen what his recruiting ability can do with how he is transforming the Dline through Lee Hunter, John Walker and Derek LeBlanc coming on board. Those are all massive gets for our program. But they need better quality play in the two levels behind them.

For those watching with an analytical eye, it is also foreseeable that impact changes to the OC and DC positions will probably be made in the upcoming off season.

As such, it's seems more likely that 2024 is a better barometer of how good we can be with Gus in the big 12.

Reactions: ReturnOf
This is a transition year. I never expected us to be a force in the conference this year. I did expect to show we can be competitive this year, and we have done that despite the two conference losses and the way in which they have occurred.

Gus realizes that we need lots of improvements personnel wise with our linebackers and defensive backs. He is addressing that through the overwhelming focus of high level DBs and linebackers in this recruiting class. I'm sure he will address it even more with transfers once the portal opens up. We have seen what his recruiting ability can do with how he is transforming the Dline through Lee Hunter, John Walker and Derek LeBlanc coming on board. Those are all massive gets for our program. But they need better quality play in the two levels behind them.

For those watching with an analytical eye, it is also foreseeable that impact changes to the OC and DC positions will probably be made in the upcoming off season.

As such, it's seems more likely that 2024 is a better barometer of how good we can be with Gus in the big 12.
My concern is the locker room if we keep losing in the way we have. Will players stay or go to the transfer portal. Will we hold on to the recruits Gus admittedly has attracted. These are legitimate concerns. The way in which we lost the Baylor game, and the fans leaving early, could not have been viewed positively with the 100 or so recruits in attendance.

My concern is the locker room if we keep losing in the way we have. Will players stay or go to the transfer portal. Will we hold on to the recruits Gus admittedly has attracted. These are legitimate concerns. The way in which we lost the Baylor game, and the fans leaving early, could not have been viewed positively with the 100 or so recruits in attendance.
I agree totally the loss was a terrible thing. I just don't feel that canning Gus is a positive move forward for program momentum.

None of the press asks tough questions (most certainly not @Brandon) because they're all HS bullied nerds who never grew a pair.
Nah they have to balance on that line between tough questions and softballs because they need to keep a good relationship with the coaches to maintain that access. But yes, I do get cringed out with Brandon’s questions too.

It hardly matters because there are no answers for the tough questions. "We have to execute better... This one's on me," etc. They aren't going to trash the players or the other coaches. They aren't going to give too much injury info. They aren't going to get into strategy. The press knows this.

Reactions: Wings0fred
I agree totally the loss was a terrible thing. I just don't feel that canning Gus is a positive move forward for program momentum.
Gus is not going to get canned this year. Everyone really knows that. Should some thought be given by the AD as to tell Gus he has to turn it over to a great OC, you bet. If Gus doesn't want to do that and decides to leave well then that's on Gus.

Reactions: Guinness_Knight
Gus is not going to get canned this year. Everyone really knows that. Should some thought be given by the AD as to tell Gus he has to turn it over to a great OC, you bet. If Gus doesn't want to do that and decides to leave well then that's on Gus.
But you know? That's not very likely to happen either.

• Angry
The Defense is a bit of a mystery this year. In certain areas they are playing much better than last year. The pass rush looks better. TMB leads the nation in TFL's and I think he leads the Big 12 in sacks. The cornerback play is way better. It's like the lightbulb finally went on for Thornton, and Adams is playing well. Jason Johnson is a good LB and plays extremely hard, although I don't know what he gives in pass coverage.

One problem is they are getting worn down in the second half, which is something we should have expected moving up a level to P5. We need bigger, stronger, faster guys at every position. That's where Gus's recruiting will -- hopefully -- start to pay off.

But the other problem, in my opinion, is scheme. They need one more fast linebacker on the field, and one less slow lineman. If our D-Line is getting pushed off the ball in the run game anyway, why not neutralize that advantage some by putting faster guys out there to plug holes? These are not AAC offensive lines we're facing. But then you come back to personnel. For some reason, Gus and his staff have not been able to recruit a stud LB, much less 2 or 3, since they got here.

We're just crazy young at LB. We lost the two best LBs that we recruited and developed to other programs. Jason came here for the opportunity, well, here it is. He is THE guy. Losing sucks, we all have been there. I hope to hear more fire, not dejection. The fact is winning cures everything, and Jason alone, and even the defensive unit alone did not lose that game. Hell, they put points on the board.

I am seeing some potential with Kam Moore but totally mystified that Rian Davis is not on the field more. Is he injured, a bust, what gives? That was a big transfer for us and for what, 3 solo tackles in 4 games played? That blows my mind. And the same for Isaiah Paul. Although far less of a splash, the dude is man-sized and was productive and UIW. I am shocked to see smaller guys like Yates, Moore, and even Bullard (TJ), on the field when we have SENIOR grown-ass men LBs on the roster that transferred in from other programs for opportunities.

I am seeing some potential with Kam Moore but totally mystified that Rian Davis is not on the field more. Is he injured, a bust, what gives? That was a big transfer for us and for what, 3 solo tackles in 4 games played? That blows my mind.
This is why Knight Nation needs to temper their excitement when we sign "big" transfers. Fuk the BOOMS. :)

This is why Knight Nation needs to temper their excitement when we sign "big" transfers. Fuk the BOOMS. :)
That goes for recruits in general, seems like every recruit is suddenly going to be better than everyone on the team in the same position. Year later, that recruit/transfer gets forgotten and everyone hypes about the next person that 'committed'.

That goes for recruits in general, seems like every recruit is suddenly going to be better than everyone on the team in the same position. Year later, that recruit/transfer gets forgotten and everyone hypes about the next person that 'committed'.

While it's true that we'll never know until they get here, I like showing these players, whether it be a transfer or a recruit, that we're excited to have them. I don't see any harm in that. The kids like the BOOMS. I like the BOOMS. You should try liking the BOOMS. You might like it 😁

Reactions: Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT