ADVERTISEMENT

John Rhys Plumlee has entered the Portal. Rumors are he may be going to UCF.

Why does everyone think this kid is going to compete for the starting QB gig? His Fr QB stats were horrible. Yeah, he can run well but he was only 53% completion rate, 910 yds and 4 TDs against 3 picks. We also are loaded with RB talent. I get this offense is a little more run oriented but so was our 2017-2018 teams as well. We ran all over people, which opened up the passing game. Could be much needed leadership and knowledge of the QB position, though. He is a veteran guy.

Not exactly ecstatic that we didn’t pull in at least one quality QB transfer that showed potential at their school last year. I mean, I trust the process until it doesn’t seem right, and right now it’s way too early in the Gus era to be judging that yet. He did well with what we had last year and his first batch of recruits haven’t touched the field yet so you have to let it play out.
bc it seems we are going away from Air Raid deep throwing QBs for Q Flowers style and he fits that. Some of those plays where Keene rolls right before falling for a loss of 4 yards? Plumlee probably turns it into a gain

Agree we need one more transfer QB
There is not a better option out there in the portal right now, not named Caleb Williams.

The way I see it playing out is either Plumlee is a home run addition as the starting QB next year, or Keene/Castellanos plays the majority of snaps at QB next year. He's definitely worth the flyer IMO, especially considering almost all the other QBs have been snatched up.

There is not a better option out there in the portal right now, not named Caleb Williams.

The way I see it playing out is either Plumlee is a home run addition as the starting QB next year, or Keene/Castellanos plays the majority of snaps at QB next year. He's definitely worth the flyer IMO, especially considering almost all the other QBs have been snatched up.
In Plumlee's Hudl films he looks very good. I am excited to see what he can do.

In Plumlee's Hudl films he looks very good. I am excited to see what he can do.
Agree. If you look at his HS film and just judged him from that we would all be doing backflips (well maybe not all).
Kid lost his job at Ole Miss to a guy who is going to be a 1st round pick.
A fresh start away from his Mississippi comfort zone may just be what the doctor ordered.

Yeah I saw you suggested some D2 QB. I don't think you're going to find a lot of transfer QBs that are going to be itching to enter a 4-man competition for the starting job.
Against these 4 guys with no established starter, or anyone that has started more than 9 games there should be no shortage of high ceiling guys....the question is can Gus get them to come in.

bc it seems we are going away from Air Raid deep throwing QBs for Q Flowers style and he fits that. Some of those plays where Keene rolls right before falling for a loss of 4 yards? Plumlee probably turns it into a gain
If you watch his tape against LSU (when they were #1), Alabama, Missouri or Auburn he could turn it into a TD. He is an extremely talented runner. We have to find out how well he can throw. That's what will really tell us how much of a dual threat he is. I believe he can throw the short and long balls and that the new OC wlll work with him on intermediates. If he can learn to throw accurately over the middle, it'll be huge. Put that all together and this O will score a lot of points.

Reactions: Yaes
Why does everyone think this kid is going to compete for the starting QB gig? His Fr QB stats were horrible. Yeah, he can run well but he was only 53% completion rate, 910 yds and 4 TDs against 3 picks. We also are loaded with RB talent. I get this offense is a little more run oriented but so was our 2017-2018 teams as well. We ran all over people, which opened up the passing game. Could be much needed leadership and knowledge of the QB position, though. He is a veteran guy.

Not exactly ecstatic that we didn’t pull in at least one quality QB transfer that showed potential at their school last year. I mean, I trust the process until it doesn’t seem right, and right now it’s way too early in the Gus era to be judging that yet. He did well with what we had last year and his first batch of recruits haven’t touched the field yet so you have to let it play out.
Really? This guy earned true freshman All American as a QB in 2019 (the Athletic and 247 Sports). He was beaten out for the job at MS by arguably the best college QB in the country. He compiled his stats against some of the best teams in the country. He'll not only be our QB but, if he stays healthy, he could be one of the better ones we've ever had. So, yes, he will compete for and probably win the starting QB job.

Really? This guy earned true freshman All American as a QB in 2019 (the Athletic and 247 Sports).
Find hard to believe a QB with 50% completion %, 4 TDs, and 900 yards passing gets any hardware when Mr Socko and Sam Howell were getting all the attention.

Apparently, on an Ole Miss Podcast the hosts said DG would only give interviews if he was paid for them. According to a friend that is OM Alum.
lmao he better live up to the hype bc if he crashes it isn’t going to be gracious

from what I have seen from Ole Miss fans they all like Plumlee as a person, passing concerns but are rooting for him

Why are Ole Miss people interviewing Gabriel?
Don't know if they were or not, just what they mentioned. OM was in the mix in terms of rumor mill stuff after he announced he was in the portal.

from what I have seen from Ole Miss fans they all like Plumlee as a person, passing concerns but are rooting for him
This exactly. "I love him, and will root for him, but he can't throw for sh*t" is what my bud said. He already sent me a screenshot from his phone of the FAU game and said we're going just so he can root for JRP.

This is awesome. The stats of Keene weren't impressive either and he couldn't run. If Plumless can complete over 50% of his passes, then #10 puts us in a good position to win more games. No more watching of the last QB transfer going in gains us some benefits no matter what. May the best QB win the competition for the starting job in camp :)

We got another QB coming in as a recruit if it gets that bad.
If you're talking about TC, we all would benefit from him taking a redshirt....

Especially an offense like this where the QB attrition rate could be high, we need another transfer.

Key word his Freshman year. Most players progress alot after their first year. I'm looking forward to his experience he brings to the QB room.

I don't know if I'm going to get tired of 4.3 40 QB running the ball. I'm willing to give it a try
after last season. Imagine the fake to Bowser inside and this guy taking off in a RPO play. The
defenses against us will go bonkers not to mention he threw some nice long balls in this video.
^^This and all of that. He was on a very bad Ole Miss team and started as a true freshman against the best defenses in the country day in and day out, burning them. That whole coaching staff was fired. Gus’ system is set up perfectly for this style, will open up some easy throws and running lanes for the backs. I can’t wait to see him throw more though, his throwing stats is a concern but he looked like he threw it pretty well in HS.

Reactions: knight_tracker

I don't know if I'm going to get tired of 4.3 40 QB running the ball. I'm willing to give it a try
after last season. Imagine the fake to Bowser inside and this guy taking off in a RPO play. The
defenses against us will go bonkers not to mention he threw some nice long balls in this video.
QB can run a 4.3, Flash and O'Keefe run a 4.3. Richardson and Harvey ran a 4.4 in high school. Can't wait to see all the triple option plays we run!

Our speed is going to kill.

QB can run a 4.3, Flash and O'Keefe run a 4.3. Richardson and Harvey ran a 4.4 in high school. Can't wait to see all the triple option plays we run!

Our speed is going to kill.
Plumlee feels like a safety blanket for this reason, no matter what he raises our floor. Keene could not improve, Tommy Casto could be a bust, and we would still have enough talent on the offense to leave the AAC well.

Even if we can’t pick apart a defense, we should be able to run it down their throats.

Just to throw my two cents in here…
I read something in that interview with Plumlee on the main page here that I thought was interesting. Plumlee said that Malzahn wasn’t recruiting him to be a QB at Auburn, but rather a receiver. I guess that was one of the determining factors why he didn’t go to Auburn (because he wanted to play QB).

Obviously different circumstances now (diff school, diff conference, diff QB room), I’m sure Plumlee wouldn’t have committed here if he wasn’t going to play quarterback. I just thought it was interesting that our coaching staff had similar concerns as some of the posters here have already touched on, at least a few years ago they did.

I think the QB room was young, inexperienced, and lacking depth - so I’m happy with adding Plumlee. But I share some of the concerns that others have stated about his arm. Playing QB is not a position you can stop getting reps at for years at a time, and then just fall right back into it without some serious rust.

Still love it, I think he will be on the field in some capacity or another. Either as the QB1, or in similar packages to what we saw with Navarro/Gatewood, but more extended packages run by a much better athlete. His tape at Ole Miss from 2019 is full of counter, speed counter, outside zone, inside zone, and a lot of the read running plays that UCF wasn’t able to run too often with Keene.

I don’t disagree with this.
With that being said I’m glad all 3 of what we consider our top QB’s (Keene, TC and Plumlee) are on campus and enrolled in school for the Spring.
Hopefully 9 months of playing nothing but QB for Plumlee will get him back up to speed before our first game.

Just to throw my two cents in here…
I read something in that interview with Plumlee on the main page here that I thought was interesting. Plumlee said that Malzahn wasn’t recruiting him to be a QB at Auburn, but rather a receiver. I guess that was one of the determining factors why he didn’t go to Auburn (because he wanted to play QB).

Obviously different circumstances now (diff school, diff conference, diff QB room), I’m sure Plumlee wouldn’t have committed here if he wasn’t going to play quarterback. I just thought it was interesting that our coaching staff had similar concerns as some of the posters here have already touched on, at least a few years ago they did.

I think the QB room was young, inexperienced, and lacking depth - so I’m happy with adding Plumlee. But I share some of the concerns that others have stated about his arm. Playing QB is not a position you can stop getting reps at for years at a time, and then just fall right back into it without some serious rust.

Still love it, I think he will be on the field in some capacity or another. Either as the QB1, or in similar packages to what we saw with Navarro/Gatewood, but more extended packages run by a much better athlete. His tape at Ole Miss from 2019 is full of counter, speed counter, outside zone, inside zone, and a lot of the read running plays that UCF wasn’t able to run too often with Keene.
Gus did offer him as a WR and was eliminated. GA won him over recruiting him as a QB but, on signing day, he de-committed and the next day signed with Ole Miss. The reason was GA changed the offer to a blue shirt and let him know that he would not be joining the team until end of summer session. MS swooped in and signed him. BTW, Gus did go back after him as a QB but by then was out of the mix.

Reactions: Yaes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT