ADVERTISEMENT

Jurgen Out!

Huffy, if you were the US soccer/ncaa czar, what changes would you make to college soccer?

I would like to make the season 2 semesters instead of one. Could easily take a winter break and pick backup in warmer weather. I think that would probably be best for the sport as well as the students.

Make it FIFA rules. That would be a nice start.

For those of us that don't know, what's the difference?

In college, someone can be substituted out but then put back in during the second half.

The clock usually counts down from 45. The clock can be stopped for injuries and "time-outs".

Overtime is golden goal in college.

In college, someone can be substituted out but then put back in during the second half.

The clock usually counts down from 45. The clock can be stopped for injuries and "time-outs".

Holy shit, those are all terrible rules

I agree that the clock should count up to 45 and not time outs. Honestly, I hate FIFA overtime rules. I would prefer first to score then go to shoot outs. I'm ok with he substitution rules as its an amateur game.

Ok, it's college, not Premier League. Some of the smaller schools don't have ultra conditioned athletes, so it makes sense that they made need to sub players in and out during a game. That's not an issue.

I've never understood soccer fans' hardon for the clock going up and not down. At the end of the day, isn't it 45 minutes either way?

Overtime rule seems far superior to playing an entire extra 30 minutes with the possibility of overtime again tying at 1-1. Sudden death is MUCH better.

Ok, it's college, not Premier League. Some of the smaller schools don't have ultra conditioned athletes, so it makes sense that they made need to sub players in and out during a game. That's not an issue.

I've never understood soccer fans' hardon for the clock going up and not down. At the end of the day, isn't it 45 minutes either way?

Overtime rule seems far superior to playing an entire extra 30 minutes with the possibility of overtime again tying at 1-1. Sudden death is MUCH better.

It's more than the clock going down, there is no stoppage time. It's 45 minutes and then done...that's not how soccer is played.

NCAA soccer just doesn't do much to help condition the best soccer athletes, which, to be honest, is why most elite soccer players do not play NCAA soccer. Of course, there are a few good ones each year (very few though).

I also HATE sudden death. Guess it's just a different opinion.

Subs: that is the reason (lack of conditioning) it is shitty soccer.
See Bq response on clock. Last week I saw a game where the second half was 54 minutes.
Sudden death sucks but they should cut the overtime to 15 minutes and then penalty kicks.

Some rules that should be changed to make soccer better and minimize waste of time:
1. If you go down and stay down for 30 seconds or need assistance, you have to sit for 5 minutes. Only exception would be if a yellow (or red) card is given.
2. No substitutions in the last 5 minutes of the game
3. (I think this is similar to hockey) Sub cannot enter game until player subbed crosses white line (same as it is currently done) but play re-starts once number of player leaving is raised and he/she can't touch the ball anymore. If player touches the ball or impedes play, he/she/it gets a red card and team has to play 1 player down.
4. (copy from basketball) 5 fouls = yellow card. 5 fouls after yellow = red card. Yellow cards and direct red card for violent fouls/waste of time/arguing/etc still apply.

Why do you guys hate sudden death so much? I know I said the NCAA rules are shitty, but sudden death is awesome.

Reactions: UCFWayne
Why do you guys hate sudden death so much? I know I said the NCAA rules are shitty, but sudden death is awesome.
overtime would become ultradefensive or teams passing the ball around because a counter-attack could end the game. Fixed time allows for teams to try and tie the game

Reactions: bqknight
Soccer is just yet another sport that gets ruined by a game clock. I think a lot of sports would be better and more exciting if they got rid of the game clock and went to a score-based or innings-based termination of the game. Imagine how much less standing around and time-wasting there would be if the following sports declared victory by the following:

Basketball: 1st team to 100, win by 2 (keep shot clock to avoid on-court timeouts)
Soccer: 1st team to score 5 goals (yes, I know most teams don't score that many, but that's because there are a lot of stalling tactics used once a team gets up by a goal or two lead)
Football: Each team gets 12 offensive possessions. (keep play clock to avoid on-field timeouts), if still tied after 12 innings, then go to CFB OT rules where possessions start on opponents' 25.

Reactions: USFSucks
Soccer is just yet another sport that gets ruined by a game clock. I think a lot of sports would be better and more exciting if they got rid of the game clock and went to a score-based or innings-based termination of the game. Imagine how much less standing around and time-wasting there would be if the following sports declared victory by the following:

Basketball: 1st team to 100, win by 2 (keep shot clock to avoid on-court timeouts)
Soccer: 1st team to score 5 goals (yes, I know most teams don't score that many, but that's because there are a lot of stalling tactics used once a team gets up by a goal or two lead)
Football: Each team gets 12 offensive possessions. (keep play clock to avoid on-field timeouts), if still tied after 12 innings, then go to CFB OT rules where possessions start on opponents' 25.

There are plenty of soccer teams that go all out on the offensive and could still take a LOOOONG time to reach 5 goals.

Time definitely works best.

BS, one of the sports without a clock is the most boring sport there is (and games are never ending). I'll give you 1 chance to guess the sport.

Soccer to 5 goals?: it would take 3 hours
Football with 12 offensive possessions? Some teams take 10 minutes (game clock) to score. A game would be 5-6 hours (not counting commercials)

There are plenty of soccer teams that go all out on the offensive and could still take a LOOOONG time to reach 5 goals.

Time definitely works best.
then make it 4 goals or 3 goals or 2 goals. Pick one. I think if you focus the game on what the object is though, you'll get more scoring.

BS, one of the sports without a clock is the most boring sport there is (and games are never ending). I'll give you 1 chance to guess the sport.

Soccer to 5 goals?: it would take 3 hours
Football with 12 offensive possessions? Some teams take 10 minutes (game clock) to score. A game would be 5-6 hours (not counting commercials)
Baseball is a great sport. The best sport IMHO. And baseball games are often quicker than CFB or NFL games.

And they take 10 minutes to score because they manage the clock. Take clock management out of it, and they'll try to score more quickly. Focus the game on scoring and scoring will increase.

Last edited:
Last year the average baseball game was 2 hours and 56 minutes, College Football was 3 hours and 26 minutes, NFL was 3 hours and 12 minutes.
That is because of all the time outs (media and team).

And? Baseball has tons of media timeouts as well

Huh? The media timeout is between innings, which is going to occur regardless of TV. They don't cut away in the middle of an inning to show commercials.

Huh? The media timeout is between innings, which is going to occur regardless of TV. They don't cut away in the middle of an inning to show commercials.
What I was saying is that baseball still has the timeouts

Subs: that is the reason (lack of conditioning) it is shitty soccer.
See Bq response on clock. Last week I saw a game where the second half was 54 minutes.
Sudden death sucks but they should cut the overtime to 15 minutes and then penalty kicks.

Some rules that should be changed to make soccer better and minimize waste of time:
1. If you go down and stay down for 30 seconds or need assistance, you have to sit for 5 minutes. Only exception would be if a yellow (or red) card is given.
2. No substitutions in the last 5 minutes of the game
3. (I think this is similar to hockey) Sub cannot enter game until player subbed crosses white line (same as it is currently done) but play re-starts once number of player leaving is raised and he/she can't touch the ball anymore. If player touches the ball or impedes play, he/she/it gets a red card and team has to play 1 player down.
4. (copy from basketball) 5 fouls = yellow card. 5 fouls after yellow = red card. Yellow cards and direct red card for violent fouls/waste of time/arguing/etc still apply.
I do think they need to do something about all the players going down and trying to run out the clock. It gets ridiculous at the end of games.

I do think they need to do something about all the players going down and trying to run out the clock. It gets ridiculous at the end of games.

The other problem with soccer is that regardless of time, if they're in extra minutes and a team is trying to attack, they'll let them play until the defense clears. It's the only sport I've seen where the ref completely ignores the time on the clock to give an advantage to one team over another. I've seen it many times that as soon as the ball is cleared, the ref blows the whistle and it's over.

The other problem with soccer is that regardless of time, if they're in extra minutes and a team is trying to attack, they'll let them play until the defense clears. It's the only sport I've seen where the ref completely ignores the time on the clock to give an advantage to one team over another. I've seen it many times that as soon as the ball is cleared, the ref blows the whistle and it's over.
The best comparison I can make is in Football where you finish a play even when time has run out. In soccer, the ref lets the attacking team finish their buildup, or "play".

The best comparison I can make is in Football where you finish a play even when time has run out. In soccer, the ref lets the attacking team finish their buildup, or "play".

Yup, pretty much. If you have the ball with zero seconds left in football, you can still play until you've been stopped. Same thing in soccer.

Yup, pretty much. If you have the ball with zero seconds left in football, you can still play until you've been stopped. Same thing in soccer.

Uh, no, not at all the same. In football there is "a play" that can start with 1 second and end as soon as "a play" is over with. In soccer, a team can dick around, pass, and attempt multiple shots when time has technically expired so long as the ball stays in the attacking zone. I've seen it happen.

Uh, no, not at all the same. In football there is "a play" that can start with 1 second and end as soon as "a play" is over with. In soccer, a team can dick around, pass, and attempt multiple shots when time has technically expired so long as the ball stays in the attacking zone. I've seen it happen.

Then there was still time left of the "clock". Stoppage time isn't a set time, it's a minimum amount of time. The ref may add more time if there was an injury or delay during stoppage time.

You have to be actively going for the goal for the ref to not blow his whistle, if you're passing it back and just messing around, whistle is going to blow. On RARE, RARE occasion, the ref may let you keep playing but there is usually controversy if they do.

It's the same as football, other than set pieces, there is no "play" in soccer.

What I was saying is that baseball still has the timeouts
Baseball is so slow that they can show all the ads needed during the time between innings and when there is a change of pitcher. For some teams and/or pitchers they could fit 30-second ads between pitches (batter leaves box for 5-10 seconds, 10-15 seconds for P and C to agree on pitch, 10 seconds for pitcher to fake throw to 1st, etc). They should have a pitch clock: 10 seconds to throw a pitch or to throw to a base or it is a ball. Eliminate batter timeouts.

Reactions: CommuterBob
Baseball is so slow that they can show all the ads needed during the time between innings and when there is a change of pitcher. For some teams and/or pitchers they could fit 30-second ads between pitches (batter leaves box for 5-10 seconds, 10-15 seconds for P and C to agree on pitch, 10 seconds for pitcher to fake throw to 1st, etc). They should have a pitch clock: 10 seconds to throw a pitch or to throw to a base or it is a ball. Eliminate batter timeouts.
They have started doing just that in some of the lower levels and in Spring Training (well a clock between innings that is).

Baseball is a great sport. The best sport IMHO. And baseball games are often quicker than CFB or NFL games.

And they take 10 minutes to score because they manage the clock. Take clock management out of it, and they'll try to score more quickly. Focus the game on scoring and scoring will increase.

Baseball is the greatest game ever created.

Reactions: USFSucks
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT