ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Hodges arrested

No. That's just total players. I see where he went, though.

There's a lot to look at. The consensus is there is churn, and programs have to deal with. A lot more churn than is manageable. Hopefully when the NCAA straightens-out kids transferring constantly (they are instituting one immediate transfer, and after that you have to sit s year), and setting up the portal and recruiting to not overlap, schools should have a much better time managing their rosters. Right now it is chaos.

As the OP indicated, "For instance, Lee, O'Keefe, Swoboda, Jackson, Montalvo, Brown, Wilson, JJB, MK, and now Hodges"...well:
1) Lee left for money. Also, we had huge attrition on the OL due to graduation. I guess he figured starting at Miami wouldn't be that different than starting for us, except he is also getting paid...or paid more.
2) O'Keefe left for whatever reason (B.C. Don't really know how this is going to better showcase his talent but his choice; He will get a nice grad degree if he chooses to. I hope he just didn't transfer there for football).
3) Swoboda was a one year guy. He graduated.
4) Jackson graduated.
5) Montalvo graduated.
6) Brown left for money.
7) Wilson graduated.
8) JJB left for whatever reason (Ole Miss).
9) MK left for playing time. Can't really say he is the starter. He was the starter...after the starters got hurt. Obviously is a great backup but he wants to start so he left. I got no problem with that. He's got experience and wants to push himself.
10) Hodges got arrested and kicked off the team.

I don't see anything that strange, considering the conditions of college football right now. What's so abnormal about this in the current atmosphere?
Good take. This is the argument I'm trying to make:

Our starters are just as good as starters at top P5 programs. Lee, JJB, O'Keefe, etc. is evidence of that. The issue is, we do not have the quality back up these schools have.

That's my concern.

Other schools can *plug and play* players better than we can. For example Georgia lost, what 11 players to the draft from last season? But Georgia can plug and play because there is less drop off in production at good schools.

And so losing top starters is a much bigger issue for us than it is for a good P5 school.

Last edited:
Reactions: mattropolis
I didn’t think Hodges was that bad. No pressure on QB, it’s hard to cover anyone for 8 seconds. I doubt he gets jail time. Pleads down to lesser crime. As long as this is a first offense.

I didn’t think Hodges was that bad. No pressure on QB, it’s hard to cover anyone for 8 seconds. I doubt he gets jail time. Pleads down to lesser crime. As long as this is a first offense.
Idk man, maybe unless the gun wasnt loaded? Hes already been kicked off the team.

I imagine the conviction rate is a lot higher for a burglary than say something domestic

Idk man, maybe unless the gun wasnt loaded? Hes already been kicked off the team.

I imagine the conviction rate is a lot higher for a burglary than say something domestic
Agree. Never really heard of "spontaneous burglary" occurring. Domestic stuff....yeah, that can be spontaneous and most often is (usually a build-up between two people over a period of time that comes to a head, usually when they have been drinking, haven't learned to walk away and let things cool down, etc...).

Agree. Never really heard of "spontaneous burglary" occurring. Domestic stuff....yeah, that can be spontaneous and most often is (usually a build-up between two people over a period of time that comes to a head, usually when they have been drinking, haven't learned to walk away and let things cool down, etc...).
Domestic Abuse isn’t forgiven as easily as robbery. What did they steal? Were drugs in this guys home?

This team has now lost 10 starters from last year: Lee, O'Keefe, Swoboda, Jackson, Montalvo, Brown, Wilson, JJB, MK, and now Hodges.

And most people here are saying, Trust Gus and let him cook. Please tell me what y'all are seeing because all I am seeing are L's
So
Gus has the ability to stop kids from doing stupid stuff? I can hear coach now, hook up with some chick and go do armed break in.

So
Gus has the ability to stop kids from doing stupid stuff? I can hear coach now, hook up with some chick and go do armed break in.
That's a fair point, I think I was too harsh on Gus for this. But I do think Gus is responsible for setting the culture. And so if the UCF culture had an influence on Hodges, then I think people at the top deserve some criticism. But to be fair, I don't know the culture inside the locker room.

This is quite the story. Enjoyed the bit about Hodges jacket ending up at victims apartment with a cashapp card and victim using the card to purchase an onlyfans account of the girl mixed up in all of this.

Reactions: mattropolis
All Heupel recruits btw and this seems to be the new normal so get used to it. Coaches all over the country are experiencing the portal exits, but also the portal additions. Besides, the 2 DB “starters” we lost got roasted and toasted regularly. At least we don’t have to see Hodges blow another coverage or miss another tackle.
Exactly. Any chance corey thorton was involved? Losing him would be addition by subtraction

The surveillance camera also showed some round spherical object being thrown towards one of the intruder's head, however he wasn't able to turn around and deflect it...

• Haha
Reactions: Yaes and tjb74
That's a fair point, I think I was too harsh on Gus for this. But I do think Gus is responsible for setting the culture. And so if the UCF culture had an influence on Hodges, then I think people at the top deserve some criticism. But to be fair, I don't know the culture inside the locker room.
Some of that culture stuff is pre-existing, but how he responds to this issue and how he moves the team forward and sets precedents is definitely on him.

The quick dismissal was a good choice assuming the facts are as bad as the optics seem.

Exactly. Any chance Cory Thornton was involved? Losing him would be addition by subtraction
I am CERTAIN the CHICKEN EATERs have air-tight alibis at a KFC somewhere in Orlando.

mc hammer kfc GIF

What is a chicken eater?
Any football player who has been in a program for three or more years and has not played a significant down. All they do is take away a scholarship from a more deserving player. They have quite happy and content with getting a pregame meal (chicken) and standing on the sidelines during the game. NCAA rules forbid coaches from getting rid of these players/chicken-eaters.

Patrick Barnett was NOT one of the two at large assailants involved in the home invasion.

Any football player who has been in a program for three or more years and has not played a significant down. All they do is take away a scholarship from a more deserving player. They have quite happy and content with getting a pregame meal (chicken) and standing on the sidelines during the game. NCAA rules forbid coaches from getting rid of these players/chicken-eaters.

Patrick Barnett was NOT one of the two at large assailants involved in the home invasion.
That’s not an NCAA rule from what I’ve gathered. It’s just bad practice to get rid of a good kid because he isn’t playing. Blame the recruiter for saying he was good. But they only sign 1 year contracts that don’t have to be renewed by either side.

Reactions: connerito
That’s not an NCAA rule from what I’ve gathered.

IMO, it is a good practice for a coach to do what is necessary to remain employed.

IMO, it is a good practice for a coach to do what is necessary to remain employed.
It says that was a P5 rule. So Gus better convince the kids that won’t ever play to move on or see if they can get other scholarships. Clock is ticking.

apparently the woman is known in online circles before this ..on only fans. her pinned tweet she is wearing a USF shirt

Some of that culture stuff is pre-existing, but how he responds to this issue and how he moves the team forward and sets precedents is definitely on him.

The quick dismissal was a good choice assuming the facts are as bad as the optics seem.
I don't think this has anything to do with the culture in the locker room. I think it has everything to do with a young man making a very stupid decision.

Not saying Malzahn is tied to this, but Heupel and Shannon would have been raked over the coals with some of the events that have transpired this season and offseason. Still a lot of the bad things that has happened two years later is often attributed to Heupel.

If Malzahn jumps ship or doesn't pan out, a lot will go back and start pointing fingers at Malzahn for some of this stuff.

Not saying Malzahn is tied to this, but Heupel and Shannon would have been raked over the coals with some of the events that have transpired this season and offseason. Still a lot of the bad things that has happened two years later is often attributed to Heupel.

If Malzahn jumps ship or doesn't pan out, a lot will go back and start pointing fingers at Malzahn for some of this stuff.
That’s how it works. People always blame a guy they don’t like and people that leave. Heupel had a more exciting offense. Shannon D wasn’t great so we lost games we shouldn’t have. Stansbury and White were the best ever and when they left all of a sudden they sucked and couldn’t schedule.

Bad take. Lots of kids can play important roles without having to do so on the field.

Also, Shaqueem would be a “chicken eater” according to this.

Also, Shaqueem would be a “chicken eater” according to this.
Shaqueem played in all 12 games as a redshirt sophomore.

Explain to me the benefit of having a Chidoziri Maghiro hang around for his Super Senior season. I'll hang up and listen.

There needs to be clauses in NIL to forefit money when doing these acts.
That's why at least half of NIL funds should be in escrow...so at least half of their NIL investment is protected from situations like this. (Also helps kids graduate with actually $$ saved in an account).

Anytime there’s a firearm involved…..offender is looking at 10 year minimum mandatory. With the video of Hodges….This doesn’t look difficult to convict. Doubt he’ll plead down but anything is possible with a good attorney. Unfortunate for a young man to ruin his life over a girl and wanting to be some kind of a movie mafia type thug

That’s not an NCAA rule from what I’ve gathered. It’s just bad practice to get rid of a good kid because he isn’t playing. Blame the recruiter for saying he was good. But they only sign 1 year contracts that don’t have to be renewed by either side.
Not if you have to start paying them….they’re gone if that happens, no matter how nice a kid they might be.

ADVERTISEMENT