ADVERTISEMENT

Knightline 095: Viktor Beach / Memphis Recap

Guys, I love the show but right now I gotta show some tough love. I'm not a fan of the interviews with recruits before they sign their LOI's. Most of the interview with Beach was fine. I like the position talk, what he liked about UCF, etc. But when you start reading off his offer list and referring to some other schools he is being recruited by as "big" schools compared to us it could very easily make a kid start waver. It really came off as belittling to UCF in the backhanded compliment style ESPN announcers always give us compared to P-5 opponents.

I am in no way blaming you for this kid's de-commitment. He obviously has a lot of other voices in his head. But that's kind of the point. These are kids. They're easily influenced. We aren't UF or LSU. We don't have their history, money, or P-5 influence. Maybe we shouldn't remind a possible recruit of that coming from a UCF themed podcast. I'm just saying, when rumors are flying that he might have already been starting to waver, this may not have helped. Because as we all now know, no matter what these kids say, they aren't completely solid until the ink is on the paper. That's just how it came off to me, others may disagree.

Otherwise, keep up the great work guys!! Seriously, love the show.

Reactions: Knight_Fyre
Lol that had nothing to do with it......I could only wish my interviews and questions were so influential....AP
I'll listen tonight. Although an interview was too early, in the end, who knows what happened. If it comes down to us VS Purdue, then that's just a bad decision IMO

Lol that had nothing to do with it......I could only wish my interviews and questions were so influential....AP

I'm not saying they did. All i'm saying is some of the questions come off backhanded to UCF a little. We are already G-5. Maybe let's not say some of their offers are from "big" schools compared to us. They are already hearing that from other friends, family, ESPN... but when a UCF podcast says "big" school compared to UCF, it doesn't come off great.

I just wanted to bring some thoughts to the discussion.

Guys, I love the show but right now I gotta show some tough love. I'm not a fan of the interviews with recruits before they sign their LOI's. Most of the interview with Beach was fine. I like the position talk, what he liked about UCF, etc. But when you start reading off his offer list and referring to some other schools he is being recruited by as "big" schools compared to us it could very easily make a kid start waver. It really came off as belittling to UCF in the backhanded compliment style ESPN announcers always give us compared to P-5 opponents.

I am in no way blaming you for this kid's de-commitment. He obviously has a lot of other voices in his head. But that's kind of the point. These are kids. They're easily influenced. We aren't UF or LSU. We don't have their history, money, or P-5 influence. Maybe we shouldn't remind a possible recruit of that coming from a UCF themed podcast. I'm just saying, when rumors are flying that he might have already been starting to waver, this may not have helped. Because as we all now know, no matter what these kids say, they aren't completely solid until the ink is on the paper. That's just how it came off to me, others may disagree.

Otherwise, keep up the great work guys!! Seriously, love the show.
A kid this far in the process already knows these things...I broke my own rules here, originally I had said I wouldn't interview before signing day....then I talked to Milton last year....I wanted to dig a little deeper in the recruiting thing for you guys instead of reporting "in a text dude told me" probably not my best decision to interview this guy I'm usually spot on with my judgement of who and when to interview someone...AP

the fact that he agreed to this interview then decommits days later...what a douchebag

but I agree with the opinion about avoiding saying the word 'small school'. no need to bring up the conference situation in a Pro UCF podcasts. I would just use constant reminders how big the University is and how it's a great place to be at school, play Football , and still make it to the NFL.

Conference affiliation doesn't change the fact the UCF has been more of an NFL factory the last 10 years than Purdue.

the fact that he agreed to this interview then decommits days later...what a douchebag

but I agree with the opinion about avoiding saying the word 'small school'. no need to bring up the conference situation in a Pro UCF podcasts. I would just use constant reminders how big the University is and how it's a great place to be at school, play Football , and still make it to the NFL.

Conference affiliation doesn't change the fact the UCF has been more of an NFL factory the last 10 years than Purdue.
Yeah. What a douche

From Viktor Beach 12:01 1/23/17

I did write the decommitment on the plane because I received the messages from the coach as soon as we boarded. And did not respond until after the flight. I was a knight and planned to be a knight my entire visit up at Purdue. It was wrong of me to it be dishonest to the staff but I was doing it for my family and chose to try and hide it which was wrong. That situation was handled and at that point I was still a committed knight until things were said to my family and I.

From Viktor Beach 12:01 1/23/17

I did write the decommitment on the plane because I received the messages from the coach as soon as we boarded. And did not respond until after the flight. I was a knight and planned to be a knight my entire visit up at Purdue. It was wrong of me to it be dishonest to the staff but I was doing it for my family and chose to try and hide it which was wrong. That situation was handled and at that point I was still a committed knight until things were said to my family and I.
so his Parents encouraged him to lie to a coaching staff that has been recruiting him for 8+ months?

Got it. Frost likes character guys. Ultimately it will pay dividends. I'm behind him
There seems to be two ways to run your recruiting. The GOL/Frost way, which is, "you commit to us, we commit to you". Then there's the overcommit system the really big programs run (Alabama, UF, UGA, etc). "You pretend to commit to us, we pretend to reserve a spot for you". In the second case, they don't care as much if you back out. It means one less kid they need to screw over on signing day.

In the Frost system, when you start backtracking on your word, they need to start working on a backup plan.

Really these kids have so many people talking to them they probably don't know who to believe or who to trust. If the NFL is your goal it doesn't matter where you play they NFL will find you. I watched a tight end for the Pats destroy my Steelers last night who only played 1 year of football. We have a solid line coming back, and redshirting, so I am not to concerned about this.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
if you wanna hear the best way to sell UCF just listen to Brandon Marshall or Latavius Murray & how they speak of UCF. They never bring up the G5 crutch and seem genuinely proud to have played for UCF. And Marshall played at UCF before all the infrastructure upgrades that gives the Program more of a big boy look.

Maybe Frost can get them both on Campus this weekend with the Pro Bowl in town

Reactions: UCFhonors
Really these kids have so many people talking to them they probably don't know who to believe or who to trust. If the NFL is your goal it doesn't matter where you play they NFL will find you. I watched a tight end for the Pats destroy my Steelers last night who only played 1 year of football. We have a solid line coming back, and redshirting, so I am not to concerned about this.
Well.., playing time in college is very important. Hogan is the exception and not the rule. It's much easier for a receiver to have less experience than other positions for sure. Also, Hogan probably is a "system" guy for the Patriots only.

I was thinking that with sanctions over, and tons of seniors graduating from the 2016 roster, this would be a huge recruiting class numbers-wise. It's not looking that way now. Shouldn't we have room for a full class? We have 18 guys and we're only 10 or so days from Signing Day.

I wouldn't say a ton of seniors we have a lot of starters coming back and a lot of redshirts from last years class but regardless I agree. I thought recruiting would take off a little more under Frost but still 10 days to go.

I'll listen tonight. Although an interview was too early, in the end, who knows what happened. If it comes down to us VS Purdue, then that's just a bad decision IMO

Playing in the Big Ten is a hard opportunity to pass up. Purdue has been bad the past 4 years but we have playing time, conference prestige, and an excellent academic reputation that likely sold him on Purdue.

Playing in the Big Ten is a hard opportunity to pass up. Purdue has been bad the past 4 years but we have playing time, conference prestige, and an excellent academic reputation that likely sold him on Purdue.
oh please. Being a perennial bottom feeder in your division and not putting players in the NFL is not a better situation, it's all about where you stand in your neighborhood.

Current Big10 Champ Penn State wanted UA All American D. Snelson last year and even got him to visit the final weekend before signing day & he picked UCF. I'm willing to bet his college & potential NFL career odds will be higher than Beach.

Last edited:
oh please. Being a perennial bottom feeder in your division and not putting players in the NFL is not a better situation, it's all about where you stand in your neighborhood.

Current Big10 Champ Penn State wanted UA All American D. Snelson last year and even got him to visit the final weekend before signing day & he picked UCF. I'm willing to bet his college & potential NFL career odds will be higher than Beach.

I think you're focusing too much on the recent past for Purdue. We've had a bad 4-year run but were solid before that and will be again.

I think you're focusing too much on the recent past for Purdue. We've had a bad 4-year run but were solid before that and will be again.
But besides all those points its the way he decommited more than where he's going. Don't be a hard commit for over 6 months and bail less than 10 days from signing day. If he wanted to look around he should have decommited earlier out of respect for all the time the Coaches put into him. I'm pretty sure they wasted 2 in homes on this brat.

...And before you tell me about all those Purdue conference championships, I'll remind you that those cave drawings are inconclusive.

Reactions: UCFhonors
I'm guessing you missed what happened from 1997-2012 when we only missed a bowl game about 4 times.
Dude, we haven't exactly been world beaters for 2 years, but come on. Purdue has not had a good football program for a long, long time. When you were good, it was very short lived

Beating a dead horse. Recruiting has really gotten out of hand this year. The pressure is for coaches and their staff to produce immediately. It's winner take all and anything goes on buying coaches and swiping committed recruits.

If there were still an NCAA with any power, they'd have acted forcefully already to level the playing field and reduce big programs' predatory opportunities. As much as we all hated the old NCAA, their current paper tiger role is far worse.

Dude, Purdue is a bball school. Always has been, always will be. Fball is something that they want to get out of the basement and at least compete. Can respect that. Great engineering school, but let's be honest, the female situation is really bad. But if ol' Victor is serious about Engineering, it's hard to go wrong with Purdue or UCF. Best of luck to him. He probably won't meet Mrs. Beach there, but maybe he'll get a good education out of the deal.

Dude, Purdue is a bball school. Always has been, always will be. Fball is something that they want to get out of the basement and at least compete. Can respect that. Great engineering school, but let's be honest, the female situation is really bad. But if ol' Victor is serious about Engineering, it's hard to go wrong with Purdue or UCF. Best of luck to him. He probably won't meet Mrs. Beach there, but maybe he'll get a good education out of the deal.
I guess that Citrus Bowl game when Purdue cleaned our clock was one of their basketball years. Purdue hasn't lit up March Madness in decades.

I guess that Citrus Bowl game when Purdue cleaned our clock was one of their basketball years. Purdue hasn't lit up March Madness in decades.

Uh right, and some of Purdue's losses over the years make losing to Arky State look like losing to Alabama. Weak sauce dude. You don't have to "light up march madness" to be a bball school. We haven't lit up the national championship scene in football, well since 2013. Doesn't mean we aren't a fball school. Always have been, always will be.

You do know how important bball is in Indiana, right? And fball in the south?

I don't care how good Purdue is I would MUCH rather live in Florida any day no matter what. Especially when its in the 80's and the entire US is freezing.

Last edited:
Why does Beach, when talking about why he took the visit and kept it a secret, say "I did it for my family"? Did a Purdue alum slip his dad an envelope with $1,000 in it

Why does Beach, when talking about why he took the visit and kept it a secret, say "I did it for my family"? Did a Purdue alum slip his dad an envelope with $1,000 in it
I was wondering the same. Maybe his Mom wanted him to go there for education reasons.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT