ADVERTISEMENT

Looks like we had another "Lovelady" regular season.........

Another .500 regular season under Lovelady.

Thoughts?
I spoke briefly with a group of baseball players prior to yesterday‘s historic softball game. Included in the group was Litchfield and Freeland who said he‘s now fully recovered from his wrist injury.
I made a comment about the growing amount of negativity I’ve been hearing towards CGL and they were quick to come to his defense. Litchfield mentioned how much this team has been plagued with injuries. I told them that I personally was impressed with the level of success considering all the key injuries and the amount of underclassmen/freshmen that have been pushed into starting roles.
I tend to be a “glass half full“ kinda guy. Let’s see how they perform in the AAC Tourney before making final judgements.

I spoke briefly with a group of baseball players prior to yesterday‘s historic softball game. Included in the group was Litchfield and Freeland who said he‘s now fully recovered from his wrist injury.
I made a comment about the growing amount of negativity I’ve been hearing towards CGL and they were quick to come to his defense. Litchfield mentioned how much this team has been plagued with injuries. I told them that I personally was impressed with the level of success considering all the key injuries and the amount of underclassmen/freshmen that have been pushed into starting roles.
I tend to be a “glass half full“ kinda guy. Let’s see how they perform in the AAC Tourney before making final judgements.
Players will always defend a coach that recruits them. The players are to blame as well. Every year you can’t blame injuries and youth. One year yes but it’s been most years they don’t win enough.

Players will always defend a coach that recruits them. The players are to blame as well. Every year you can’t blame injuries and youth. One year yes but it’s been most years they don’t win enough.
Agreed, there is players that would have said the same things in defense of Heupel. There was players in 2015 that would have defended Brent Key.

If I’m not mistaken, Lovelady has had a lot of unprecedented success as UCF head coach. I think we've had our highest ranking under him (#12) and highest recruiting class (#18) and last year was the first time we advanced to AAC final only to see USF catch lightning in a bottle and pull off the big upset.
We’ve recently swept some big name opponents including #1 ranked Ole Miss on the road as well as #8 Auburn on the road. We’ve been holding our own and winning against our so-called bigger, badder in-state rivals (UF, Miami, FSU).
I’m thinking we’re on a pretty good trajectory overall, even though this season has been one of the most challenging and frustrating with a lot of key injuries.
Just one man’s opinion, though. Feel free to dismiss. 😉

Last edited:
Reactions: Nautiknight
If I’m not mistaken, Lovelady has had a lot of unprecedented success as UCF head coach. I think we've had our highest ranking under him (#12) and highest recruiting class (#18) and last year was the first time we advanced to AAC final only to see USF catch lightning in a bottle and pull off the big upset.
We’ve recently swept some big name opponents including #1 ranked Ole Miss on the road as well as #8 Auburn on the road. We’ve been holding our own and winning against our so-called bigger, badder in-state rivals (UF, Miami, FSU).
I’m thinking we’re on a pretty good trajectory overall, even though this season has been one of the most challenging and frustrating with a lot of key injuries.
All these accomplishments, so surely they’ve won some tournament games. Nope, not one tournament win under Lovelady, only one appearance and it’s been 5 years since that one. So what does that tell you? It says you’re leaving out their many failures in conference and conference tournament play and their pitiful out of conference performance this year.

Kind of feels like you’re saying they have the talent and potential but still can’t get it done in league/post season play. Sounds like another Dawkins.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
All these accomplishments, so surely they’ve won some tournament games. Nope, not one tournament win under Lovelady, only one appearance and it’s been 5 years since that one. So what does that tell you? It says you’re leaving out their many failures in conference and conference tournament play and their pitiful out of conference performance this year.
Huh??? Not one tournament win under Lovelady and only one appearance 5 years ago? Pitiful OOC play? I’ve watched or have been in attendance for many big wins against highly ranked teams such as UF, Miami, Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc
How did UCF advance to the AAC final last year without winning any of it’s tournament games?
Granted, we lost in the final by one run so let’s consider the season a complete and utter failure.
I guess taking the series wins last year against #1 ranked Ole Miss and #7 ranked ECU were pitiful performances too.
I’m not a huge fan of LOVELADY and there are times his decision-making frustrates me greatly. But like I said, we’ve been trending in a positive direction. We’ve had many key injuries this season but CGL hasn’t had a losing season yet. His +.600 winning percentage is only slightly less than that of the revered Jay Bergman even though the overall competition is now of a significantly higher caliber.
Like I said before… I’m a glass half full kinda guy so I’m sorry if my positive take triggers so many Negative Nancys on this board! 😉

Reactions: Nautiknight
Huh??? Not one tournament win under Lovelady and only one appearance 5 years ago? Pitiful OOC play? I’ve watched or have been in attendance for many big wins against highly ranked teams such as UF, Miami, Ole Miss, Tennessee, etc
How did UCF advance to the AAC final last year without winning any of it’s tournament games?
Granted, we lost in the final by one run so let’s consider the season a complete and utter failure.
I guess taking the series wins last year against #1 ranked Ole Miss and #7 ranked ECU were pitiful performances too.
I’m not a huge fan of LOVELADY and there are times his decision-making frustrates me greatly. But like I said, we’ve been trending in a positive direction. We’ve had many key injuries this season but CGL hasn’t had a losing season yet. His +.600 winning percentage is only slightly less than that of the revered Jay Bergman even though the overall competition is now of a significantly higher caliber.
Like I said before… I’m a glass half full kinda guy so I’m sorry if my positive take triggers so many Negative Nancys on this board! 😉
Come on. You know I was talking about the big tournament. The one you have to qualify for. Not the AAC tournament.

We should never have a losing season. Especially playing in the AAC and the way we schedule OOC.

Trophy case must be full then with those accomplishments. Makes them sound like USF football.

Wouldn’t a .500 season be same wins and losses? We are actually a .583 team overall and in conference. Not great, but 2nd in the league. Lots of injuries. Disappointing regular season. Could be salvaged in the conference tournament like we almost did last year.

Last time they went to NCAA tournament is 2017. FSU, UF, Miami, USF, Stetson, Jacksonville, FAU, have all made the tournament more recently and I believe all have won a regional in their history.

Not making the NCAA tournament for several years and being a Florida team that plays on average 60% of its games at home, and like 80% in Florida is almost like a Florida football team that can't get bowl eligible.

The good news is they will play in one of the top baseball conferences soon, so maybe like the logic with Dawkins once they play even harder competition it will make them a better more consistent team, because that's what happened when they moved from CUSA to AAC, isn't it?

Last time they went to NCAA tournament is 2017. FSU, UF, Miami, USF, Stetson, Jacksonville, FAU, have all made the tournament more recently and I believe all have won a regional in their history.

Not making the NCAA tournament for several years and being a Florida team that plays on average 60% of its games at home, and like 80% in Florida is almost like a Florida football team that can't get bowl eligible.

The good news is they will play in one of the top baseball conferences soon, so maybe like the logic with Dawkins once they play even harder competition it will make them a better more consistent team, because that's what happened when they moved from CUSA to AAC, isn't it?
UCF doesn’t spend money in basketball or in baseball. Don’t blame Greg for doing the best he can with the resources he has.

Drewster, i hate to say it.....he ain't cuttin the mustard! Take those rosie glasses off! :cool:

They were the 2nd seed in a terrible conference. Anything less than winning the tournament is a disappointment and ends their season. What exactly are people supposed to get excited about?
Tell your AD to spend money in baseball? The budget for the baseball and baskeball programs at UCF are at the bottom in the AAC. What do you believe will happen in the Big 12?

Greg has done a fine job at UCF with the resources at hand.

Greg led UCF to a second place finish in the AAC and the third best overall record but all I see are complaints.

Tell your AD to give Greg a reasonable baseball budget to work with? The man has done a very good job with the limited resources at UCF.

There’s no other option because simply UCF doesn’t have the money to fire Lovelady or Dawkings and then hire a new coach and staff.

Place the blame where it belongs - the UCF administration.

Tell your AD to spend money in baseball? The budget for the baseball and baskeball programs at UCF are at the bottom in the AAC. What do you believe will happen in the Big 12?

Greg has done a fine job at UCF with the resources at hand.
It's great that you keep saying this to prove your point, but unless you throw out some numbers I'm going to assume you're full of it.

It's great that you keep saying this to prove your point, but unless you throw out some numbers I'm going to assume you're full of it.
I am not going to play this game. If you are ignorant then that’s on you. Greg has done a fine job.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT