ADVERTISEMENT

Mack has big shoes to fill

I would be shocked if he redshirted. No reason to. We are thin at the position, Dinovo is graduating and we surely will have future QB recruits along with Vedral.

We know that Milton isn't playing 100% of every game even if healthy. We will see a lot of Dinovo and hopefully Mack.
It's very often in a season that the 3rd QB gets gametime action.

Last edited:
Both Vedral and Mack have better arms and are much better runners. Both should be able to pick up the basics after an entire summer of work, and as importantly, the OLine and RBs will be able to as well. Defenses dared Milton to run last season.

Defenses dared Milton to run last season

Keep in mind that in all games Milton played except for the first one, he had an injury to his ankle that prevented him from being as effective at running. He did pretty well in the Maryland game. But later in the year he hardly ever kept the ball on the zone read because he knew he could not run well.

I am not saying he is a great QB. At this point he needs to make big improvements to get us where we want to be. From what I saw of Mack, Milton better make big improvements if he wants to keep the job.

Keep in mind that in all games Milton played except for the first one, he had an injury to his ankle that prevented him from being as effective at running. He did pretty well in the Maryland game. But later in the year he hardly ever kept the ball on the zone read because he knew he could not run well.

I am not saying he is a great QB. At this point he needs to make big improvements to get us where we want to be. From what I saw of Mack, Milton better make big improvements if he wants to keep the job.
Where did you see Mack?

I would be shocked if he redshirted. No reason to. We are thin at the position, Dinovo is graduating and we surely will have future QB recruits along with Vedral.

We know that Milton isn't playing 100% of every game even if healthy. We will see a lot of Dinovo and hopefully Mack.
It's very often in a season that the 3rd QB gets gametime action.

What? Name one year when we had 3rd string QB play without other QBs playing?

Keep in mind he was playing against VA high schools. In VA the competition is either dead horrible or just above decent until you reach playoffs.

What? Name one year when we had 3rd string QB play without other QBs playing?

No., I meant the 3rd string usually gets snaps in a season AFTER the other QBs had been utilized. Injuries, blowouts, etc. Last year 4 QBs got reps, so Mack should get PT no
matter what and needs to get PT. We may actually even need him to play if the others fail

No., I meant the 3rd string usually gets snaps in a season AFTER the other QBs had been utilized. Injuries, blowouts, etc. Last year 4 QBs got reps, so Mack should get PT no
matter what and needs to get PT. We may actually even need him to play if the others fail
Agreed, obviously we hope for the best and MM has a good injury free year. But i could see mack coming in first in line if MM gets hurt, is in a blow out or just sucks. DiNovo may get the nod sort of as a respect thing possibly but Frost has shown he doesnt want to waste reps that young guys who fit his system can take for old guys who dont fit.

I don't know as much about Scott's system, but under Charlie & George, no QB freshman had a shot playing unless they enrolled early. This is the way it should be.

Only tshirt bandwagoners' favorite player is the 3rd string QB. #UCFacts

Reactions: Miltonian
I don't know as much about Scott's system, but under Charlie & George, no QB freshman had a shot playing unless they enrolled early. This is the way it should be.

Agreed, its rare freshmen have extremely productive 1st years, unless they are absolute Freaks. Even Francois at FSU didnt have what you would call an amazing year and is an athletic freak at QB. Its rare.

Reactions: UCFhonors

I think that you may need to take some courses in reading comprehension, as you're totally missing the point. Again

So.., what happens if Milton gets injured and Dinovo plays poorly??

Both Vedral and Mack have better arms and are much better runners. Both should be able to pick up the basics after an entire summer of work, and as importantly, the OLine and RBs will be able to as well. Defenses dared Milton to run last season.
Milton's tough though. He took some pounding last year and hung in there. I hope he comes out much improved this year! :)

Run the ball and Wildknight.

But that's like worrying if our starting oline gets injuries and / or plays poorly. That's very chicken little thinking.
Chicken little thinking is a very real possibility Einstein. Payton actually would have been a great candidate, but we all know what happened to him. Next great idea?

Is it my imagination or does someone say this every summer? I think I recall people saying how quickly Milton could step in and get the system because he ran it in high school. I think it is unrealistic to think that a true freshman will pick up even the basics and be able to execute them under pressure in their first year. I think it is the exception rather than the rule that this happens effectively. That is why I think people underestimate Milton's performance last year

Is it my imagination or does someone say this every summer? I think I recall people saying how quickly Milton could step in and get the system because he ran it in high school. I think it is unrealistic to think that a true freshman will pick up even the basics and be able to execute them under pressure in their first year. I think it is the exception rather than the rule that this happens effectively. That is why I think people underestimate Milton's performance last year
100% yes. Freshmen are supposed to make mistakes, alot of them. People somehow expect a refined, veteran who makes almost no mistakes.
Was milton great or even good last year? At times yet, but largely no.
Did he make every mistake that any other Freshman would? Absolutely yes.

Its just the ones who dont understand football, especially the QB position who expect 3000 yards, 30 tds and maybe 5 ints from everyone or else "they suck"

The question is now, does he repeat those same mistakes or has he learned mentally and eliminated those errors from his game.

Like what we expected to see with Holman, but didn't.

Agreed. Milton is now seasoned through baptism by fire. Lets hope he does not follow the Godfry path.

The question is now, does he repeat those same mistakes or has he learned mentally and eliminated those errors from his game.

Like what we expected to see with Holman, but didn't.
Id like to think we have much better coaches for a QB's mentality/development than O'Leary. He was never known for helping QB's progress and as soon as they did something dumb, he was a screamer- a Qb's worst nightmare of confidence.

Reactions: KnightVision82
Agreed. Milton is now seasoned through baptism by fire. Lets hope he does not follow the Godfry path.
He looked like Godfrey at the end of last year. Godfrey beat Georgia in a bowl game. Milton lost to Arkansas State. I don't need 3000 yards and 20 TDs. I need to see us consistently moving the ball and not relying on our defense to score points for us. I expect mistakes. But not even moving the ball is inexcusable.

Id like to think we have much better coaches for a QB's mentality/development than O'Leary. He was never known for helping QB's progress and as soon as they did something dumb, he was a screamer- a Qb's worst nightmare of confidence.
Depends on the player. I played better when I had a coach that yelled. At you when you mess up and with you when you do good. Not all players are the same.

He looked like Godfrey at the end of last year. Godfrey beat Georgia in a bowl game. Milton lost to Arkansas State. I don't need 3000 yards and 20 TDs. I need to see us consistently moving the ball and not relying on our defense to score points for us. I expect mistakes. But not even moving the ball is inexcusable.
So you are fine with mistake, but you want consistency moving the ball....please tell me you see the paradox there???
If you want consistency moving the ball
A. You cant have mistakes (milton, the o line, the WR's, the RB's all made mistakes and alot of them last year....first year of a new offense...add that to a freshman RB and QB, please tell me how you expect consistency moving the ball?)
B. Veterans running a familiar offense. Refer to A as to why thats important.

For your second comment, were you a QB? (dont mean that condescendingly, just curious)
I know in my experience as a QB, being yelled at after throwing a pick or taking a big sack was about the worst thing. As QB's we are already hard on ourselves and any mistake we make. The worst thing you can do as a QB is play either mad or with your head not in it (which yelling makes happen)

So you are fine with mistake, but you want consistency moving the ball....please tell me you see the paradox there???
If you want consistency moving the ball
A. You cant have mistakes (milton, the o line, the WR's, the RB's all made mistakes and alot of them last year....first year of a new offense...add that to a freshman RB and QB, please tell me how you expect consistency moving the ball?)
B. Veterans running a familiar offense. Refer to A as to why thats important.

For your second comment, were you a QB? (dont mean that condescendingly, just curious)
I know in my experience as a QB, being yelled at after throwing a pick or taking a big sack was about the worst thing. As QB's we are already hard on ourselves and any mistake we make. The worst thing you can do as a QB is play either mad or with your head not in it (which yelling makes happen)
I played a lot of sports growing up. I was a pitcher and PG which is similar to a QB. My style was playing with emotion and being challenged. Not looking the same after a TD and an interception.
Furthermore consistently moving the ball with a couple of mistakes sprinkled in during the game isn't the same as consistently not moving the ball and not scoring points. Your "paradox" made no sense. I can name 9 freshmen QBs who played consistently last year. It isn't unheard of to be decent as a freshman.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT