ADVERTISEMENT

Mariota in Blake's Hot Seat

KnightVision82

Diamond Knight
Jan 26, 2004
Bottles is getting a year to chill and work on his skills while Mariota is in the hot seat. This is his 5th season and Titans are having second thoughts. Jaguars / Titans similarity or mountain of inconsistancy starting QB must climb?

Mariota just has a lot of injury issues. He may not miss tons of games but they always seem to be talking about nagging injuries when he is talked about. His stats jumped dramatically from his first to second seasons but his last two seasons have been subpar. I would not invest big bucks in him over time and draft a new QB. Maybe do with him what the Jags did with Blake, if possible. Pay him out for one last season and then make a decision. They did draft Gardner Minshew this season but I don't think the idea was to mold him into the next starter. There will be a lot of solid QBs in the 2020 draft and a lot of teams don't need a QB.

The Dolphins held on to Tannehill for 7 years thinking "maybe this is the year" which it never was.
When you see guys like Mahomes, Baker, Watson light it up in their rookie year with ease, teams start to look at their "veteran" QB kinda funny.

Mariota just has a lot of injury issues. He may not miss tons of games but they always seem to be talking about nagging injuries when he is talked about. His stats jumped dramatically from his first to second seasons but his last two seasons have been subpar. I would not invest big bucks in him over time and draft a new QB. Maybe do with him what the Jags did with Blake, if possible. Pay him out for one last season and then make a decision. They did draft Gardner Minshew this season but I don't think the idea was to mold him into the next starter. There will be a lot of solid QBs in the 2020 draft and a lot of teams don't need a QB.

This is a make or break year for Mariota, they aren't going to pay him one more season unless he has a good year. You are right about the injuries. His second season I thought he was going to end up being a really good QB, but I think he has had trouble being consistent mostly due to his injuries. If he can stay healthy this year I could see him having a good season, but I have my doubts that he can stay healthy.

That 2014 class of QBs is flaming out a bit....

1) Bortles- backup
2) Manziel- out of NFL
3) Mariota- starter but soon to be backup
4) Carr- starter but struggled last year
5) Bridgewater- backup
6) Garroppolo- starter but jury still out
7) McCarron- backup
8) Mettenberger- out of NFL
9) Logan Thomas- Converted to TE- out of NFL
10) Tom Savage- 3rd string
11) David Fales- 3rd string
12) Garrett Gilbert- 3rd string