ADVERTISEMENT

Memphis vs Houston observations

Knight Strength

Golden Knight
Feb 2, 2018
I didn't get to watch much of MEM/HOU game Friday because I was on the way to the UCF/USF game but I read the game was tied in the 4th quarter. Memphis started using a 2 TE package and was able to march up and down the field for 21 points.

Obviously I want to win so I'm interested to see how we respond. Memphis has been a great competitor and this game will be tough.

Reactions: Mikesi
Memphis is not much different, although I think their best RB going down the stretch is Taylor, not Henderson....who doesn't have that burst he did earlier. White seems about the same, not much to throw to. The X-Factor is Pollard.

Reactions: Mikesi
I didn't get to watch much of MEM/HOU game Friday because I was on the way to the UCF/USF game but I read the game was tied in the 4th quarter. Memphis started using a 2 TE package and was able to march up and down the field for 21 points.

Obviously I want to win so I'm interested to see how we respond. Memphis has been a great competitor and this game will be tough.

Ran exclusively out of Jumbo package for 4th quarter - 2 TE, and Dorceus (300# DL) at fullback. Didn't throw a pass in the 4th quarter. 175 rushing yards, 3 TD, and crushed the will of Houston.

Norvell tends to get cute inside the 5. He has 3 stud backs (8.6, 5.8, and 7.6/carry) and I can't tell you how many times Memphis has driven the ball 60+ yards strictly by running only to abandon the run inside the 5 and try to pass it or run some trick BS play. He did this crap vs Houston and it resulted in an interception. Did it against Navy and it cost us a game.

He finally lined it up and did what Memphis fans have been begging him to do what you are supposed to do with a Senior heavy OL and 3 backs that will be playing on Sundays - run it down their throat until they stop you.

Reactions: Wings0fred
The last two games with Memphis were double overtime in Orlando and a one point game in Memphis. A single play changes and outcomes are different. Would expect very similar Saturday.

Hard to get a good read since everybody scores a ton on Houston without Ed Oliver. Look at the SMU game for example. Could be Memphis’s offense is humming could just be horrible defense by Houston.

I thought defenses in college were designed to focus in the red zone. Im not saying these RBs are overrated, but their opportunity to score is after what the defense is willing to give. So the defense keeps them in front and if they end up in the 2nd level hope to stop them. So their coach gets cute by spreading them out because his assumption is the defense wont be fooled again.
I watched some of the game on DVR. Memphis coach waited for Oliver to take a breather before attacking the middle. Id rather play Houston for that reason.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT