ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Basketball Preview: Knights travel to Memphis

ucf1

Bronze Knight
Gold Member
Dec 17, 2001
In their last 60 minutes of play [UCF] committed just six combined turnovers. Coach Johnny Dawkins called the Tulsa game “probably our most complete game of the year”.

Can @UCF_MBB keep it up? @therealjohnweis previews the matchup with Memphis.

Click here to read more.

Last edited:
Reactions: DeezKnights
In their last 60 minutes of play [UCF] committed just six combined turnovers. Coach Johnny Dawkins called the Tulsa game “probably our most complete game of the year”.
Tulsa lost at home to USF last night by 27, using Tulsa as a performance benchmark is not ideal.

Reactions: major.tom.foolery
lucy+and+charlie+gif.gif

Man that game was crazy. Kinda lucked out that their best player got injured in the first half to allow us to even be in the game late, but credit to the guys for not giving up early when we were down 19-4.

Their guy DeAndre Williams had a pretty brutal game with 8 turnovers and two big free throw misses on the front end of 1 and 1s. I think Taylor Hendricks got in his head and played some really solid defense on him. He was also probably trying to do too much when after Davis went down. He was getting so frustrated by the officiating as well.

I can't believe we were in it, and I also can't believe we lost that game at the end. For some crazy reason Memphis decided not to foul, down 1 with only 27 seconds left in the game. A completely terrible decision cause all we had to do is not turn it over and we had it. But of course, we cough it up with about 10 seconds left and they get a breakaway layup. Not sure how that guy layed it up and in with Hendricks right there, but he got it to go.

We had one final frantic chance but Johnson couldn't hit the shot and that was it.

1-20 all time at Memphis.

They wanted that game bad, you could tell from the reactions. May be the last time we play at Memphis for a long time.

Reactions: Wings0fred
It's time to move on from Dawkins. They had no ball movement really at all it was fast break down the court and throw up a 3 or drive in for a contested shot. Memphis made 4 points in like 6 minutes. And when the game came down to it they couldn't pass the ball and got the game bullied away. I will say if you watch he got his arm pulled that's why he lost control of the ball. But I was all for Dawkins but i'm losing faith in him fast.

It was amazing the claw back to take the lead after being down for so long. Dammit, almost stole a game at Memphis. Yes, the refs...bad calls. But, both teams in my opinion played crappy. One point differential. If UCF would have had the ball bounce their way would they be calling for Penny Hardaway to be fired?

When your two guard is shooting about 36% for the year has more turnovers then assists it causes problems. Especially when he’s taking almost 300 shots. He played well in the first Memphis game but shot 2/13 tonight and 50% from the foul line. If he makes 1 more shot or a foul shot we win or have OT They miss Green who probably misses UCF. Nice comeback last night but you can’t succeed if you don’t have some success at the 2 spot.

The system is there and gives the players opportunities to succeed but having to rely on the portal is a tough road. They still have a good chance to get 20 wins when the basketball season concludes and with losing the athletic center I’m ok with that. Next season may be the come to Jesus moment. There r no gimmes in the Big 12. Every win is earned. Texas Tech up until a week or 2 ago was winless. They may be on the tournament bubble now.

Last edited:
It was amazing the claw back to take the lead after being down for so long. Dammit, almost stole a game at Memphis. Yes, the refs...bad calls. But, both teams in my opinion played crappy. One point differential. If UCF would have had the ball bounce their way would they be calling for Penny Hardaway to be fired?
One coach has a career conference record of 55-27, the other is below .500 for his career 129-136.

Reactions: connerito
It's time to move on from Dawkins. They had no ball movement really at all it was fast break down the court and throw up a 3 or drive in for a contested shot. Memphis made 4 points in like 6 minutes. And when the game came down to it they couldn't pass the ball and got the game bullied away. I will say if you watch he got his arm pulled that's why he lost control of the ball. But I was all for Dawkins but i'm losing faith in him fast.
Right now UCF is 69th in RPI out of 363 teams. We’re ahead of the following:

Clemson
Florida
Seton Hall
Oklahoma
Arizona st
Tulane
Michigan
Cincinnati
Syracuse
Temple
Washington
Texas tech
Georgia
Utah
BYU
Villanova
Butler
Ole Miss
Davidson
LSU
Wichita st
Ohio st
SMU
FSU
Notre dame
Georgetown
Louisville

It was a tough loss but I’m sticking with Dawkins. I like that he’s defensive minded and he did recruit Taylor Hendricks to UCF, one of the best to ever play here. UCF is a football first school, so winning in basketball is always going to be tougher.

Reactions: ucf1 and connerito

Clemson
Florida
Seton Hall
Oklahoma
Arizona st
Tulane
Michigan
Cincinnati
Syracuse
Temple
Washington
Texas tech
Georgia
Utah
BYU
Villanova
Butler
Ole Miss
Davidson
LSU
Wichita st
Ohio st
SMU
FSU
Notre dame
Georgetown
Louisville

It was a tough loss but I’m sticking with Dawkins. I like that he’s defensive minded and he did recruit Taylor Hendricks to UCF, one of the best to ever play here. UCF is a football first school, so winning in basketball is always going to be tougher.
Problem is we are joining a basketball first conference. Ole Johnny is way outside his depths in the AAC… can’t wait to see his incompetence lead us to 2 conference wins next year

One of the big problems is that we depend on the portal. These guys come from other schools trying to make a name for themselves at UCF as opposed to winning games. R homegrown talent is good when you consider r point guard n leading scorer were both recruited as freshman at Ucf. The problem is the guys we bring in from other schools, which unfortunately is a necessity, come to try to make a name for themselves as they shoot for points as opposed to percentage and the help the team win.

Clemson
Florida
Seton Hall
Oklahoma
Arizona st
Tulane
Michigan
Cincinnati
Syracuse
Temple
Washington
Texas tech
Georgia
Utah
BYU
Villanova
Butler
Ole Miss
Davidson
LSU
Wichita st
Ohio st
SMU
FSU
Notre dame
Georgetown
Louisville

Who cares we aren't even competing in the American. If you watch the games the team is sloppy and a lot of the losses come at the expense of turnovers of lack of good shots. Since that 2018 season he's 16-14, 11-12, 18-12, and now 15-11. He's not getting it done.

Clemson
Florida
Seton Hall
Oklahoma
Arizona st
Tulane
Michigan
Cincinnati
Syracuse
Temple
Washington
Texas tech
Georgia
Utah
BYU
Villanova
Butler
Ole Miss
Davidson
LSU
Wichita st
Ohio st
SMU
FSU
Notre dame
Georgetown
Louisville

UCF is ahead of Cincinnati, Temple, Tulane in RPI. Yet is 0-4 against those teams.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT