ADVERTISEMENT

Men’s Basketball Preview: UCF Knights tangle with the Memphis Tigers

Great game. Kendrick Davis is a baller. Couldn’t stop him. Wondered why we didn’t start double teaming him.

What happened to Hendricks? Didn’t play at all in OT.

Great game. Kendrick Davis is a baller. Couldn’t stop him. Wondered why we didn’t start double teaming him.

What happened to Hendricks? Didn’t play at all in OT.
Fouled out...we played the 2 OT's with 2 of our best scorers and our bench (used all of our available scholarship players).....and won the game! Incredible job!

Reactions: Wings0fred
I thought we had a lot of guys graduating. Memphis has 11 5th year guys on their team. Only one guy playing tonight wasn’t a 5th year senior for them. I don’t know what the deal is but Memphis has like 16-18 coaches…very strange when there are more coaches than players.

Gutty performance. Up by 13 at one point. Down by 14 at one point. Fought back to tie. Exciting OT. We lacked some leadership and physicality with Darius out and it showed.

The best part…..

NO PENALTY KICKS!!!!

Last edited:
On Horton it looked like his eye contacts were bothering him. Don’t know but I’d bet that

Coach Dawkins does a great job. He puts the players in a position to succeed and allows failure without punitive results but makes it a point to tell the player so that they can learn off of that. He’s a great players coach and I think that shows when the players come in off the bench with confidence like last night.

He’s all class too. Proud he’s ours !!! We are going to need a coach with his Pedegree especially in the big 12. The best coaches in the nation seem to be be hanging out there right now.

Shout out to the recruiters and everybody who recruited these kids. Seems like a real good focused bunch.

Last edited:
I'm glad I bought single game tix for Houston @UCF Wed jan 25th before this game hits the newswire. I picked up relatively cheap tix right behind the bench.

Houston #1 in nation and we almost upset them in Houston. Gotta get past a very good @Tulane team and @duh*bulls first though. Next home game Houston! Wed/Jan 25.

I’ve not had a big problem with Johnny. So far he has just been average, though, with his best moments with players he didn’t bring in (other than his kid). My biggest gripe is he hasn’t seemed to develop recruits. I liked the roster last season but we lost a bunch of guys. Rinse and repeat for this season as well since we’ll be losing at least 7 players. He has done a good job putting together a bunch of transfers. One great kid or two can also make an average coach look great. That’s every sport, though. It’s an imperfect sport with a ton of moving roster spots so all I’m worried about is right now, and this team looks pretty darn good, and if Darius can stay healthy we have the potential to do some great things this season. I’ll worry about next season in the off-season.

To his credit, Darius, Freeman and PJ seem to be developing. It’s a positive sign.

Last edited:
I'm glad I bought single game tix for Houston @UCF Wed jan 25th before this game hits the newswire. I picked up relatively cheap tix right behind the bench.

Houston #1 in nation and we almost upset them in Houston. Gotta get past a very good @Tulane team and @duh*bulls first though. Next home game Houston! Wed/Jan 25.
Glad you got tickets for Houston but you sure missed a great one last night.
Nice crowd but I couldn’t help notice the sound system seemed quite a bit more muted than usual. Needed to be a few decibels louder IMO to really help get the crowd involved at a higher level.
I mentioned it to a couple friends around me and they agreed that it needed to be louder. I wonder if it was a conscious decision by TMo or other administrators. 🤷🏻‍♂️🤨

Reactions: Central Floridave
"the sound system seemed quite a bit more muted than usual."

Probably with more people attending the sound is absorbed and also doesn't echo off the walls as much.

I'm glad I watched that game on espn3. Hoping the Houston game has a similar outcome!

I’ve not had a big problem with Johnny. So far he has just been average, though, with his best moments with players he didn’t bring in (other than his kid). My biggest gripe is he hasn’t seemed to develop recruits. I liked the roster last season but we lost a bunch of guys. Rinse and repeat for this season as well since we’ll be losing at least 7 players. He has done a good job putting together a bunch of transfers. One great kid or two can also make an average coach look great. That’s every sport, though. It’s an imperfect sport with a ton of moving rosters so all I’m worried about is right now, and this team looks pretty darn good, and if Darius can stay healthy we have the potential to do some great things this season. I’ll worry about next season in the off-season.

Tacko Fall's development was probably the greatest in program history. That was stark contrast under Johnny than under Donny.

I can also name a UCFew who didn't develop. In both cases part of the reason is the player.

#UCFacts

I’ve not had a big problem with Johnny. So far he has just been average, though, with his best moments with players he didn’t bring in (other than his kid). My biggest gripe is he hasn’t seemed to develop recruits. I liked the roster last season but we lost a bunch of guys. Rinse and repeat for this season as well since we’ll be losing at least 7 players. He has done a good job putting together a bunch of transfers. One great kid or two can also make an average coach look great. That’s every sport, though. It’s an imperfect sport with a ton of moving rosters so all I’m worried about is right now, and this team looks pretty darn good, and if Darius can stay healthy we have the potential to do some great things this season. I’ll worry about next season in the off-season.
What's mind blowing is that we just beat a team that was expected to qualify for the Big Dance and we only had 2 players on the court all night who were on our roster at the end of last season. Those 2 (neither started) scored 16 points (btw, congrats to Tyem and PJ on coming through when we needed them). The other 7 guys (all new since last season) scored 91 of our 107. Injuries play a part in this but the contribution, in a big game like this, by our newcomers is incredible. Since last season ended, great job in the transfer portal and recruiting by Johnny!

ADVERTISEMENT