ADVERTISEMENT

Men's Hoops NIT Bound, Faces Florida in First Round

They briefly talked about how UCF got in. North Carolina turned down the NIT bid. That is a strange decision to decline post season play. But, yeah for that decision!

Interesting tidbit from that podcast...UCF could host a game if beat Gators and UC-Irvine upsets Oregon. UC-Irvine did beat @oregon this year. Wouldn't that be cool for one more home game at UCF? But...chips gotta fall our way.

Reactions: connerito
"Current Big 12 member Oklahoma State is the top seed in the NIT."

UCF beat Okie-State in OT earlier in the season. So, there is hope!

Go Knights!

Reactions: connerito
They briefly talked about how UCF got in. North Carolina turned down the NIT bid. That is a strange decision to decline post season play. But, yeah for that decision!
UNC turning down the NIT did not get UCF into the NIT. Multiple at-large NIT teams were ranked below UCF that were also invited into the NIT so UCF was basically "comfortably" in.

So far my gator fans are being quiet on this one. One said, "Should be a good game."

Others, no reply on my texting.

Oh My, how the mighty gators have fallen from their arrogant smack talk. :p

LOL. It should be a good game and I'm excited to watch it. Going in not expecting a win.

For me, Low expectations with this one. I like that vegas odds keep it close. But, I really don't know anything about the gators this year. My Bama coworker fan said they beat them by 50 points this year, but Bama is great this year.

I like the 'New LIfe' slogan the team picked up.

Will UCF have life for a round 2 match up and possibly host a game.... To Be Determined soon enough!

Go Knights.

The O'Connell Center won't have quite the same feel as Florida's band is away on a spring break trip to Ireland to take part in a St. Patrick's Day Parade. In addition, with students on spring break, the Rowdy Reptiles won't be at the game in full force, though tickets remain for the general public to sit in the student section.

A fun side-storyline in this game involves first-year UCF assistant coach Ben Witherspoon, who will be coaching against two of his former players.

Witherspoon was the HC at Dr. Phillips before coming to UCF, and Gator freshmen guards Riley Kugel and Denzel Aberdeen starred on his team that won the state title in 2021 (state runner-up in 2022).

UNC turning down the NIT did not get UCF into the NIT. Multiple at-large NIT teams were ranked below UCF that were also invited into the NIT so UCF was basically "comfortably" in.
UCF was one of the last in. They don’t rank the road teams in the NIT, but only 5 at large selections to the tournament didn’t host. UCF being one of them. So we know they were at least in the last 5 in. But not much more than that.

A fun side-storyline in this game involves first-year UCF assistant coach Ben Witherspoon, who will be coaching against two of his former players.

Witherspoon was the HC at Dr. Phillips before coming to UCF, and Gator freshmen guards Riley Kugel and Denzel Aberdeen starred on his team that won the state title in 2021 (state runner-up in 2022).
Why didn’t they come to us if their coach did? Maybe they transfer to us.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT