ADVERTISEMENT

Mikey Keene - good riddance

Gus bungled the situation by choosing to play an injured WR over Keene. Keene wasn’t willing to sacrifice a year so Gus could throw him in for a drive in unknown circumstances to replace the chosen one. Let TC do that for a game. He did. QB play didn’t lose this game.

Having back to back seasons where one of the team leaders leave doesn't exactly inspire the team.

Come on guys… Gus made it very clear to him that he’s not going to be the future starting QB. Sure in the moment he said what he said at the press conference, but you have to remember that these kids all have a bunch of people trying to tell them what to do. This is not quite a DG situation where he was going to be the clear starter the following season. I think it’s fair for him to look after his future in this scenario. Of course, more likely than not, he’s going to probably find himself in a worse situation than he has right now, given the recent history of our guys who have transferred out.

Did you see his demeanor all game? He looked miserable being there.

Again, where are all the Keene lovers now?!
Right Here. I love KEENE, JRP and TC. They are all good players and, as far as I can see, quality human beings. I respect and appreciate what each of them has brought to the table for UCF. They have all done a lot for the program.

Gus bungled the situation by choosing to play an injured WR over Keene. Keene wasn’t willing to sacrifice a year so Gus could throw him in for a drive in unknown circumstances to replace the chosen one. Let TC do that for a game. He did. QB play didn’t lose this game.
Exactly. Gus should have started the better QB instead of being loyal to JRP.

wonder if he transfers to USF since Golesh got hired there
BA2-ACD09-220-B-4384-9-B13-A3-A9-BA97-A026.png

It's frustrating to me that all year we had nobody at qb2 for whom we weren't counting games (to preserve RS) while playing a running quarterback at qb1.

What exactly did we think was going to happen when qb1 gets banged up or loses a helmet? Even if plan A was "let's hope qb1 misses less than 5 games," why did we waste TC's eligibility on garbage time handoffs in the first few games? Instead of letting JRP get 8 touchdowns or whatever it was at FAU, could TC have played most of a half?

It just seemed like this qb situation, unfolding on network TV, could have been foreseen in August.

And I disagree that the offense had nothing to do with the problems today. Momentum gets passed back and forth between offense and defense. Early in the game when it mattered, it would have mattered.

just think about UCF in 2017-18 w the players selfish mindset lately…we never go undefeated

what we have seen at UCF not only the last 2 years but even w Heupel is a talented but disjointed squad . The locker room culture has sucked since Frost left

• Love
Reactions: frostonthegrass
You guys are wrong Keene would have mattered. Our Qb play definitely affected the game.

Mikey Keene sucks for backing out on his team.
This decision was made in August once JRP was given the starting job over an incumbent MK (to the surprise of players) and MK decided to transfer. Why do you think MK didn’t see a snap of action until JRP went down against Cincy while we had already seen Tommy in 4 games? To his credit he stuck around and made positive contributions when he could have easily pulled a Timmy McClain. But him being unavailable for a 5th game was not a surprise to Gus or anyone on the team and TC had been prepping this week as QB2. QB was not where this game was lost either.

Anyone who didnt expect mk to sit after his 4th game are clueless. He didnt owe us anything more. He came in and mopped up for jrp against cincy and beat memphis
Yup. No hate towards this kid. Hate should go for Gus for choosing JRP who is so injury prone. At the end can we should have just played TC all season for practice. We gained nothing by going with JRP all season.

I have zero hate for Keene. All he did was help us win. In this day if you were the starter and a transfer comes in and starts they transfer. He still helped us win multiple games this year.
This is where I am too. While I definitely think Mikey would have helped last night, I understand his decision. He could have put up more points but couldn't paper over all the problems of this team.

"Revenge of the Keene" was of our making in August. With the portal and NIL, college football is a ruthless business. I'm grateful he stuck around to give us wins over Cincy & USF and a spot in the championship game. Gus should have used that time to get TC ready.

just think about UCF in 2017-18 w the players selfish mindset lately…we never go undefeated

what we have seen at UCF not only the last 2 years but even w Heupel is a talented but disjointed squad . The locker room culture has sucked since Frost left
True, but isn’t that because that’s when the system changed? The transfer portal and NIL are the reason this is happening. The players are the ones counting games for redshirt status, just like Gilyard did last season. How can a coach ensure the backup QB isn’t counting games unless he’s already redshirted?

True, but isn’t that because that’s when the system changed? The transfer portal and NIL are the reason this is happening. The players are the ones counting games for redshirt status, just like Gilyard did last season. How can a coach ensure the backup QB isn’t counting games unless he’s already redshirted?
Players have been transferring since 1960.

Didn’t MK go to class for free and receive scholarship money? How can you decide not to play if you accepted your scholarship?

Didn’t MK go to class for free and receive scholarship money? How can you decide not to play if you accepted your scholarship?
In the contract it says it’s guaranteed for 1 year barring legal issues and a few other instances. It doesn’t say you have to play.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT