ADVERTISEMENT

Muzzleloaders

Don’t get offended by me saying this but I hate that safari stuff . It’s most often killing for the sake of killing . If it’s not going on my table I’m not interested

Just like fishing. Either take it home to eat, or throw it back.

There is 0 need or desire to kill animals so I can stick their head on my wall for idiots to look at.

Don’t get offended by me saying this but I hate that safari stuff . It’s most often killing for the sake of killing . If it’s not going on my table I’m not interested
My daughter's boyfriend did elephant and water buffalo in Africa. He got his permits there from the government and he was only allowed to shoot a sick elephant that was causing problems in one of the villages - they basically picked the elephant for him. After he shot it, they gave it to the locals to harvest the meat. After shooting the water buffalo, the locals took the meat also.

not my thing either but its what he wanted. he wanted the trophies because the locals are keeping all the meat.

I have friends who do reenactments, They use and fire them.. theirs have to be period correct, so no rifled barrels. need skill and luck to hit targets.

Primitive Firearms season is seperate from bow season and can be the absolute best time to hunt here as far as buck activity. I have had a cva break action for about 10 years in a nickel plated finish . Can be had much cheaper than Thompson center. Quite honestly no more than you will use it I wouldn't spend any more than that. Just lear everything about how to clean it etc and get all the tools etc you need up front. Bore Butter is a must imo when you get to that point .
After a bunch of research and reading reviews, I pulled the trigger on the CVA Optima V2. The value is outstanding. Thanks for your input.

So far the WC hasn't let me down with gun recommendations. I bought the Savage Trophy Hunter XP .308 based on a recommendation from @NinjaKnight and I absolutely love it.

Reactions: NinjaKnight
After a bunch of research and reading reviews, I pulled the trigger on the CVA Optima V2. The value is outstanding. Thanks for your input.

So far the WC hasn't let me down with gun recommendations. I bought the Savage Trophy Hunter XP .308 based on a recommendation from @NinjaKnight and I absolutely love it.

Savage is an outstanding value for the money, their accutriggers really are ahead of anything else in that price range. I loved my Hog Hunter in .308 since it was the first mainstream bolt action rifle in that price range to come pre-threaded for my suppressor. I picked up a Mossberg MVP, love the fact that its a threaded 16" barrel and takes AR-10 mags, but don't like much else about it. Still a cool gun but definitely not nearly as nice as the Savage for the same price.

Also you still should have gotten the silenced muzzleloader*

Reactions: fabknight

Good deal man . You will be happy with it . The 308 is the all time great hunting round imo

Reactions: fabknight
Good deal man . You will be happy with it . The 308 is the all time great hunting round imo
Yeah. I'm really excited and look forward to it coming in. I can't wait to take it out and get it all sighted in. The beautiful thing is they ship them right to your door without having to mess with going through a FFL. Another beautiful thing is that there are enough people with them out there that have already done the testing to determine the best bullets, charge and primers to use for the highest accuracy - that is saving me some time and money.

he was only allowed to shoot a sick elephant that was causing problems in one of the villages - they basically picked the elephant for him.

I'm all for conservation and game hunting but how is shooting a sick elephant in any way rewarding?

I'm all for conservation and game hunting but how is shooting a sick elephant in any way rewarding?
I have no idea. I didn't ask. If I were to guess, I'd say just so he can say he shot an elephant.

It's kinda like me saying I've killed 2 deer using only a .380 pistol, both headshots...I just don't mention the fact that they ran out in front of my truck first.

Good deal man . You will be happy with it .

Dammit. I think I ended up spending just as much on peripheral stuff to support shooting the gun as I did the gun. Shooting a muzzleloader is expensive.

ADVERTISEMENT