ADVERTISEMENT

Navy/Annapolis Gameday Experience

The Knightman Cometh

Bronze Knight
Oct 31, 2012
Washington, DC
I was at the game this weekend. Annapolis was a lot of fun. The Naval Academy is absolutely beautiful. Campus is obviously pretty small compared to UCF but for a school with an enrollment of about 4,500 it felt pretty sizable. Pretty cool to see the cadets walking all over the town in uniform. Annapolis felt like a very safe, walkable town. Even their more rowdier bars were pretty tame. Walking around the campus, 97% of the students I saw were in incredible shape (the other 3% being average/not fat). Don’t think I’ll ever see that in another campus at least in the US.

Gotta say, the Navy fans, cadets and their families were all really nice people. I didn’t meet a single jerk the entire weekend. Lot of older Navy alumni in the area. Stayed a place where a Navy group was hosting their 40th or 50th class reunion. Very welcoming and humble bunch. Surprising, I heard a lot of praise from them of our football team (prior to the game). Not one Navy person I talked to realistically thought they had a chance against us.

The stadium felt a bit on the smaller size but not like the Bounce House is that much bigger. Pregame ceremony was cool, I’m sure you heard about it- the Midshipmen march in, the fly over, etc. The cadets (especially the plebes) were having a ton of fun in the stands. Would break into song when they played music in the stadium, and for every Navy score the plebes would have to do pushups by the field goal post. They were loud and when Navy got back into the game…even louder, I felt our offense heard them a lot towards the end. Believe me as time started ticking in the 3rd and 4th quarter, I got just as pissed as anyone else to see us lose our lead and the game, but the young cadets were having a really good time throughout the whole game and even more towards the end……so you know, good for them. It could be worse, could have lost in front of an awful usf fanbase or Memphis (I hear their fans are pretty meh too). Anyways it was a solid time, I wish could have seen a UCF-over-Navy-win in person, but it was good enough atmosphere to make up for the L (plus I don’t foresee any more scheduled games with Navy in the near future). I do hope we’ll schedule games with the military academies in the future, would love check out West Point someday.

Went to Navy last time and I agree the best place for an away game especially with family. Everyone was very nice and watching the march in is unique. Was shaking my head to the group of fans yelling at the Navy Cadets as they marched in during the video Brandon posted. But visiting the Navy Academy is special.

Reactions: 90Knight
Don’t let them hear you call them Cadets. They’re midshipmen or officer candidates. Cadets are at West Point.
Sorry idk but them yelling at them was not a good look. Even Manny walked over and yelled at them and he had to be pushed away.

Manny Messeguer he's been involved with the program since day one. If you don't know who Manny is you don't pay attention to the sidelines or anything off the field

Reactions: Knight Strength
... Pretty cool to see the cadets walking all over the town in uniform ... The cadets (especially the plebes) were having a ton of fun in the stands ...
Don’t let them hear you call them Cadets. They’re midshipmen or officer candidates. Cadets are at West Point.
Don’t call a Marine a soldier either.
Can definitely tell the Navy and Marine Corps families from the posts in this thread. ;)

I get the best of both worlds in my extended family ... Army and Marines Corps, and they both jest not only each other, but having no Air Force or non-Marine Navy, they both insult the latter two. ;)

Cadets are at every branch of military. Naval cadets like to be called Midshipmen and they typically shun the “cadet” moniker even though I saw them referred to as “cadets” in many of the photos and other displays at the naval academy’s own museum!

Cadets are at every branch of military. Naval cadets like to be called Midshipmen and they typically shun the “cadet” moniker even though I saw them referred to as “cadets” in many of the photos and other displays at the naval academy’s own museum!
I believe before college they call them Sea Cadets. Once in Officer Training they are Midshipmen. So calling them a Cadet is akin to calling them a kid. Would be like calling a Boy Scout a Cub Scout. Similar but different.

Kind of sad I didn’t make the trip to this game even with the loss. I went through Annapolis two years ago on a drive up to New Jersey for a wedding and it was absolutely gorgeous. As people have said everyone was respectful and we talked a lot a good football and they had a great deal of respect for our program. I will be sad to not get to play them and hope we continue to schedule them in the future.

Kind of sad I didn’t make the trip to this game even with the loss. I went through Annapolis two years ago on a drive up to New Jersey for a wedding and it was absolutely gorgeous. As people have said everyone was respectful and we talked a lot a good football and they had a great deal of respect for our program. I will be sad to not get to play them and hope we continue to schedule them in the future.
Agree 100%! I wish we could make that an every other year trip....USF though i'll be happy next year is the last year we have to go to that dump.

I don’t want to play any of them. It’s rarely a good win and almost always a bad loss. No thanks.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT