ADVERTISEMENT

Nearly All Mass Shooters Since 1966 Have Had 4 Things in Common

ChrisKnight06

Todd's Tiki Bar
Gold Member
Nov 30, 2005
The stereotype of a mass shooter is a white male with a history of mental illness or domestic violence. While that may be anecdotally true, the largest single study of mass shooters ever funded by the U.S. government has found that nearly all mass shooters have four specific things in common.

A new Department of Justice-funded study of all mass shootings — killings of four or more people in a public place — since 1966 found that the shooters typically have an experience with childhood trauma, a personal crisis or specific grievance, and a “script” or examples that validate their feelings or provide a roadmap. And then there’s the fourth thing: access to a firearm.

https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/...ers-since-1966-have-had-four-things-in-common

This is important information and hopefully is being used to start to build solutions.

I will say that they’ve taken a fairly narrow view to get to a mass shooter profile. They’ve set this among their selection criteria “the murders are not attributable to any other underlying criminal activity or commonplace circumstance (armed robbery, criminal competition, insurance fraud, argument, or romantic triangle).” This is good and misleading at the same time. It does help to get to a group of perpetrators that perform the “unexpected” multiple victim shootings. But it also filters out other multiple victim shootings that are more likely to involve different social and racial profiles, use illegal weapons, etc. Again, it’s good that they got to the profile they did. We need to use that information. But we also need to realize that this is one part of a greater story.

Neither are guns jackass .
Look I’m a gun owner, I have over 90 of them. Yes I said 90, now truth be told 88 of those were inherited from my father in law and of those 86 are in loan to various museums as they are mostly revolutionary, WW1 and WW2 era guns. I do believe we have a huge mental illness issue in this country that goes unchecked. Hell my wife and I laugh that of all our friend group we are the only ones not on some sort of mood altering medication. Life is a bitch and it’s hard and people snap. It’s a delicate balance between rights and government control. I do believe in mental health background checks and that includes what medications someone is on.

Look I’m a gun owner, I have over 90 of them. Yes I said 90, now truth be told 88 of those were inherited from my father in law and of those 86 are in loan to various museums as they are mostly revolutionary, WW1 and WW2 era guns. I do believe we have a huge mental illness issue in this country that goes unchecked. Hell my wife and I laugh that of all our friend group we are the only ones not on some sort of mood altering medication. Life is a bitch and it’s hard and people snap. It’s a delicate balance between rights and government control. I do believe in mental health background checks and that includes what medications someone is on.
I have zero problem with much stronger background checks than what we have now .

Reactions: UCFWayne
Since we’re talking about this, we’d be remiss to ignore that the Secret Service recently released a study on school shooters. Some commonalities among them: “Many were absent from school before the attack, often through a school suspension; they were treated poorly by their peers in person, not just online; they felt mistreated; some sought fame, while others were suicidal. They fixated on violence and watched it online, played games featuring it or read about it in books.”

The big takeaway is that there were signs prior to the attacks that may have been picked up if people were more observant and educated on what to look for and report.

https://apnews.com/a592850f54634daea31be69defec841e

I have zero problem with much stronger background checks than what we have now .

Disagree. Obviously it's every man's God given right to carry as much firepower as we can invent at any given time. What part of "shall not infringe" do you not understand?

If we invent a thousand round laser based AR tomorrow that auto targets every person in a stadium with one trigger pull thanks to a new advancement in technology that gets applied to firearms obviously the founding fathers meant for that to fall in th same category as single fire muskets and every single person should be able to buy one OTC no questions asked. Murica.

Once the emotional mob bans all guns and mass shootings still occur, the next pattern of illogical solutions is to simply ban white males it seems.

Once the emotional mob bans all guns and mass shootings still occur, the next pattern of illogical solutions is to simply ban white males it seems.

Hell yeah, I was just thinking what this board needs is another god damned inbred racist boomer. They always add such a deep and diverse viewpoint, that is not at ripped straight from the fox news conspiracy files.

FOAD useless idiot.

The next step will be to do what London has done and issue stab wound trauma kits to schools and bars. And we’d get all stirred up by the same polarizing forces where conservative would try to keep knives legal and progressives would try to ban knives.

Whatabout Chicago!

Yes by all means let’s no focus on Chicago, a city run by liberals for decades with “strong gun laws” that just happens to be one of the most violent cities on earth with regards to be killed by a firearm

Just forget all about it. The left wing failures for the people of Chicago shall not be raised ever!

Yes by all means let’s no focus on Chicago, a city run by liberals for decades with “strong gun laws” that just happens to be one of the most violent cities on earth with regards to be killed by a firearm

Just forget all about it. The left wing failures for the people of Chicago shall not be raised ever!

Chicago isn't even the most violent city in America per population. I don't know how Chicago became the conservative talking point when it comes to guns (well I probably do, let's be honest), but there about plenty of cities above Chicago, and, if you even dug deeper into small towns there are plenty more. We always tend to focus on large cities when looking at this issue due to the population, but there are plenty of small towns all across this country that have crime rates just as high, if not higher than Chicago. There are 3 cities in Tennessee alone in the top 25 most violent cities, and Tennessee is about as pro gun a state as you can get (there are also 2 from Texas, which is very gun friendly).

Reactions: NinjaKnight
Chicago isn't even the most violent city in America per population. I don't know how Chicago became the conservative talking point when it comes to guns (well I probably do, let's be honest), but there about plenty of cities above Chicago, and, if you even dug deeper into small towns there are plenty more. We always tend to focus on large cities when looking at this issue due to the population, but there are plenty of small towns all across this country that have crime rates just as high, if not higher than Chicago. There are 3 cities in Tennessee alone in the top 25 most violent cities, and Tennessee is about as pro gun a state as you can get (there are also 2 from Texas, which is very gun friendly).
Chicago hits the news because of the sheer volume. Is also suspect that, if you isolated the south side from the Northern rich area, the rate would exceed all else. Also because that is one of the places where social engineering has been so prevalent for the last 50 years.

Near the top of the list you have the expected suspects: East St Louis, St Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, and Memphis. Riviera Beach and Lake Worth, FL make the list here above Chicago and I can tell you that my family in Chicago is far more worried about being victims of violent crime than my friends in Lake Worth.

But in your world, we should not worry about Chicago since the white areas make the numbers look better and the murders are mostly in the black areas, right?

Chicago hits the news because of the sheer volume. Is also suspect that, if you isolated the south side from the Northern rich area, the rate would exceed all else. Also because that is one of the places where social engineering has been so prevalent for the last 50 years.

Near the top of the list you have the expected suspects: East St Louis, St Louis, Baltimore, Detroit, and Memphis. Riviera Beach and Lake Worth, FL make the list here above Chicago and I can tell you that my family in Chicago is far more worried about being victims of violent crime than my friends in Lake Worth.

But in your world, we should not worry about Chicago since the white areas make the numbers look better and the murders are mostly in the black areas, right?

Huh? Where in the world did you get that from my post. You damn well know that wasn't the point of my post and nowhere did I remotely imply that. Don't put words in my mouth.

Last edited:
Huh? Where in the world did you get that from my post. You damn well know that wasn't the point of my post and nowhere did I remotely imply that. Don't put words in my mouth.
I know it wasn’t. I was making a point. As to your original point, I agree that we need to address the violence along with the tool. Also, even in those smaller areas, there are demographics that make a per capita analysis with larger cities invalid. Regardless, higher numbers hit the news, so that’s why we end up focusing on those.

I know it wasn’t. I was making a point. As to your original point, I agree that we need to address the violence along with the tool. Also, even in those smaller areas, there are demographics that make a per capita analysis with larger cities invalid. Regardless, higher numbers hit the news, so that’s why we end up focusing on those.

But there are plenty of places with high #s, yes Chicago is larger than most cities so the raw #s are higher, I get that. But many cities that just happen to fall in red states, and aren't where Barack Obama came from, are pretty bad too. But conservatives tend to avoid talking about those places when it comes to violent crime because it breaks down the narrative they are trying to create with regards to gun laws and things of that nature.

Neither are guns jackass .
saying they werent is disingenuous. lets be real, guns were designed to kill. however, i dont think they were designed to kill lots of random people in these mass shootings. they were designed to help defend people and put food on the table.

But there are plenty of places with high #s, yes Chicago is larger than most cities so the raw #s are higher, I get that. But many cities that just happen to fall in red states, and aren't where Barack Obama came from, are pretty bad too. But conservatives tend to avoid talking about those places when it comes to violent crime because it breaks down the narrative they are trying to create with regards to gun laws and things of that nature.

omg please top trying to Whataboutism the Chicago problem. It's not just meanie conservatives picking on poor lil Chicago. This is a city in which there are anywhere between 3K to 4K shooting victims per year and between 500-700 homicides per year. This is a city where it's common to read during the summer that 60-70 people are shot in a single weekend.

If you want to tell me that on a Per Capita basis that Ocala, FL has a higher homicide rate then that's great. Go ahead and stick to it. It doesn't change the fact that 4,000 people being shot in a single city is a catastrophe.

omg please top trying to Whataboutism the Chicago problem. It's not just meanie conservatives picking on poor lil Chicago. This is a city in which there are anywhere between 3K to 4K shooting victims per year and between 500-700 homicides per year. This is a city where it's common to read during the summer that 60-70 people are shot in a single weekend.

If you want to tell me that on a Per Capita basis that Ocala, FL has a higher homicide rate then that's great. Go ahead and stick to it. It doesn't change the fact that 4,000 people being shot in a single city is a catastrophe.

What I am telling you is the only reason you care about Chicago is to score political points. There are mass shootings in Texas constantly but you would never bring that up to make a point because then it would defeat your narrative that strong gun laws are the reason that shootings happen, when Texas is a clear example of that not being the case. Regardless, I am not really in the mood for a conversation with a partisan hack, so have a good day.

saying they werent is disingenuous. lets be real, guns were designed to kill. however, i dont think they were designed to kill lots of random people in these mass shootings. they were designed to help defend people and put food on the table.
Since the Chinese Fire Lance, most of the firearms advance have been made with the intent of killing people more efficiently in mind. They were almost all military-inspired inventions. That doesn’t disqualify the very real and essential defense and sustenance reasons.

This. Eliminate these types of guns and you eliminate mass shootings. You can’t identify or change all the crazy people out there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT