ADVERTISEMENT

New WR Commit?

Coach Chinander is recruiting him to play Safety but wouldn't surprise me to see him get some snaps on offense + returning kicks on Special Teams.

The team was severely lacking in playmakers on STs last season that never set the offense up w a short field

I am not a star guy so it does not matter to me, but some of you would have gone ape$#it over recruiting this guy last year.

I am not a star guy so it does not matter to me, but some of you would have gone ape$#it over recruiting this guy last year.
I was about to when I saw the stars but then I watched that highlight tape and was like "Ahh nevermind, we'll find a spot for him." GOL never recruited explosive guys like him. My only dig was that he looked small on film, but they say he's 6'0"

I was about to when I saw the stars but then I watched that highlight tape and was like "Ahh nevermind, we'll find a spot for him." GOL never recruited explosive guys like him. My only dig was that he looked small on film, but they say he's 6'0"

Yea.. he looks small.. kid weighs like 166? Def fast though.. better put on some weight to play safety..

"GOL never recruited explosive guys like him" Did Quincy, Joe, Rannell, etc just show up on the field one day and GOL just said what the hell put them in?

No wait those guys came to UCF despite GOL! LOL. I am glad Frost is changing the dynamic at UCF because it was time for a change. But I have to chuckle about the GOL detractors who are so adamant that nothing good was done in the last 12 years. Joe Burnett was probably the most explosive player I have seen on the field.

No wait those guys came to UCF despite GOL! LOL. I am glad Frost is changing the dynamic at UCF because it was time for a change. But I have to chuckle about the GOL detractors who are so adamant that nothing good was done in the last 12 years. Joe Burnett was probably the most explosive player I have seen on the field.

Those moments Joe would pick up a rolling football with defenders in front of him.. he was def fearless!

Speedy Hall and most of the speed recruits came during the Coach Kelly Bubble. The Storm Johnson transfer was also was bc of Kelly.

we saw what happened when when GOL gave Key the reigns for recruiting

Speedy Hall and most of the speed recruits came during the Coach Kelly Bubble. The Storm Johnson transfer was also was bc of Kelly.

we saw what happened when when GOL gave Key the reigns for recruiting

Was Kelly not hired by GOL? Anyway it was not Key's recruiting that was the issue, it was his coaching and play calling.

Tristan Payton; Richard Causey; Tre'Quan Smith; these guys are still on the roster. There is speed still on the roster. We have always recruited speed, just not as a main focus. This new WR recruit is far below many of the recruits from the last 3 years. But we have had great success with lower end recruits like Perriman and Bortles. Just stop with the "this guy is so much better than GOL recruits" nonsense. Keep an even keel. Frost is doing the best he can in the short time he has to work with. Next recruiting class is where the rubber will meet the road.

Key was a good recruiter[roll] ?

not going to get into this again...most recruiting analysts know more than you do on this & say Frost is recruiting at a different speed. No one is arguing that GOL wasn't a good coach but recruiting was always a weakness under him

after Frost just put out a bunch of '17 offers to South Florida players

Last edited:
I was about to when I saw the stars but then I watched that highlight tape and was like "Ahh nevermind, we'll find a spot for him." GOL never recruited explosive guys like him.

Yet it was GOL's staff that started to recruit him almost a year ago....but then again, according to you, GOL never did that.

No need to lie just because you hated someone for a decade.

Key was a good recruiter[roll] ?

not going to get into this again...most recruiting analysts know more than you do on this & say Frost is recruiting at a different speed. No one is arguing that GOL wasn't a good coach but recruiting was always a weakness under him

I did not say Key was a better recruiter. I just said that they recruited speed, but just not in the same way or for the same positions. Where we will lack speed is not in the skilled positions but in the OL. So our newest recruit is nothing new or special for UCF recruiting. We routinely have recruited speed at skilled positions. We have speed already on the team. We are just going to need a bunch more of it to run this offense.

Trying to compare GOL and Frost in recruiting is apples and oranges. Totally different schemes. Totally different needs. So just stop already.

We routinely have recruited speed at skilled positions. We have speed already on the team.
have you watched UCF RBs the last 2 seasons? I know the Oline sucked but they were slow and couldn't make anyone miss.

There probably hasn't been an RB run over 40 yards in the last 24 UCF games

Reactions: Ucfmikes
Yet it was GOL's staff that started to recruit him almost a year ago....but then again, according to you, GOL never did that.

No need to lie just because you hated someone for a decade.

GOL and I go back way before UCF. I never hated the guy, just thought that his time was over.

Offer list is weak...very weak. That said, given the time they have to recruit the staff is probably going to have to take a couple of projects this year. They'll have time next year to perform their due diligence for recruiting and establish early relationships with players and high school coaches. Gotta wait until the full class comes in to make any real assessments.

LOL the logic is hear is ridiculous. Let me make sure I understand correctly:
  • We land 2/3 star guy that does great things at UCF = He came here despite O'Leary/Only came because of *insert assistant*. Mind you, O'Leary hired these people for this reason!
  • We land a 2/3 star guy that doesn't necessarily pan out= These are the only guys that O'Leary/UCF ever recruits!
  • Scott Frost recruits virtually the same type of player= We've never seen speed/a player like this!!!
Do you see how your just using specific players/results to just simply fuel your opinion of the guy? I take O'leary for the good and the bad. I think of him for bringing us so many conference championships, developing some great players in his tenure, the top 10 finish. And I also think of him for the 2 winless seasons, the bad/predictable play-calling on offense that plagued us for a few seasons, and the unfortunate death of a player.

You same people that hate O'leary for recruiting certain players are going nuts over Frost getting the same kind of guys (granted, it's his first class, so this will take time to see the change). That's the part that is hilarious.

Reactions: Boston.Knight
You same people that hate O'leary for recruiting certain players are going nuts over Frost getting the same kind of guys (granted, it's his first class, so this will take time to see the change). That's the part that is hilarious.
That's it right there. In a short time frame, Frost has hired a staff and pulled in roughly the same level of commits GOL was. Isn't that exciting?

That's it right there. In a short time frame, Frost has hired a staff and pulled in roughly the same level of commits GOL was. Isn't that exciting?

Actually, Frost got more verbals from non-star/non-rated players in just this one class than what UCF had signed over the last 3-4 years (those recruits since have "automatically" been upgraded to 2 star status...but prior to their UCF commitment, they were unrated players).

I only care about on the field production...so if its a 4 star or a previous 0 star...if they produce, that's good enough for me.

Good news for the incoming staff is that UCF will be back to 85 scholarships...so that will give the staff more room for misses (i.e. recruits that don't pan out), which is probably close to 40% for every recruiting class at every program, not just UCF.

Thats why the loss of 15 plus scholarships over the last 3 plus years hurts so much...as it eliminated the chance to bring in 8-9 new players that probably would have panned out.

Why do we seem to be pulling in so many WR's? Does this new system require more? I know we were hurt in the 2012/2013 recruiting seasons and only brought in a couple which is why we don't have many upperclass WR's. But, we picked up 3 or 4 the past couple of seasons and seem to have a bunch already on the roster. I worry about going thin on defense and lineman.

giphy.gif

remember Jawon Hamilton's name. South Florida Player of the Year, the same award Dalvin Cook at FSU won a few years ago. With GOL as HC he wouldn't give UCF a look

remember Jawon Hamilton's name. South Florida Player of the Year, the same award Dalvin Cook at FSU won a few years ago. With GOL as HC he wouldn't give UCF a look

You're probably right. But as of right now, different does not mean better. Jawon is a different player that is now coming to UCF. But time will tell if these different players are better is all I'm saying. All we have to go by as of right now is stars and what we see on tape. I haven't seen any talent that is just better than what we've typically brought in. But again, TIME will be key. I'm looking forward to that.

Reactions: Poolside Knight
Why do we seem to be pulling in so many WR's? Does this new system require more? I know we were hurt in the 2012/2013 recruiting seasons and only brought in a couple which is why we don't have many upperclass WR's. But, we picked up 3 or 4 the past couple of seasons and seem to have a bunch already on the roster. I worry about going thin on defense and lineman.

This system uses 4 receivers and a RB so yeah we need them. 8-12 good ones would be ideal.

Oh for the glory days when GOL is rarely if ever mentioned on here. I think the detractors hang onto his nuts far more than any who loved him. It's over- he's gone. Frost's been here for barely a month, so far signed 1 recruit. Way too early to judge if anyone's any good at the college level.

Actually, Frost got more verbals from non-star/non-rated players in just this one class than what UCF had signed over the last 3-4 years (those recruits since have "automatically" been upgraded to 2 star status...but prior to their UCF commitment, they were unrated players).

I only care about on the field production...so if its a 4 star or a previous 0 star...if they produce, that's good enough for me.

Good news for the incoming staff is that UCF will be back to 85 scholarships...so that will give the staff more room for misses (i.e. recruits that don't pan out), which is probably close to 40% for every recruiting class at every program, not just UCF.

Thats why the loss of 15 plus scholarships over the last 3 plus years hurts so much...as it eliminated the chance to bring in 8-9 new players that probably would have panned out.

The thing a little concerning with that stat is that Frosty is in more of a management role now than a hands on individual contributor role. Guy seems like he is a great teacher/mentor with his parents coaching too and what not. I'm sure more often than not, he can mold talent and make a mountain out of a mole hill. Problem is he's already coordinating the offense, coordinating his staff, coaching up his relatively inexperienced staff, game planning. At some point, the concern is ol' Frosty runs out of cycles to coach up kids hands on. Is his staff good enough to do that? The QB coach I have no doubts about, experienced guy at NCAA level. The other guys? We'll see.

Point is - his formula in the past of brining in raw talent and coaching up might have worked well when he was with one or two kids, but the current role at UCF is different.

. Problem is he's already coordinating the offense, coordinating his staff, coaching up his relatively inexperienced staff, game planning. At some point, the concern is ol' Frosty runs out of cycles to coach up kids hands on. Is his staff good enough to do that? The QB coach I have no doubts about, experienced guy at NCAA level. The other guys? We'll see.

I think that's more of a risk w a DC turned HC. Walters and Chinander will fill that void of being hands on.

You're probably right. But as of right now, different does not mean better. Jawon is a different player that is now coming to UCF. But time will tell if these different players are better is all I'm saying. All we have to go by as of right now is stars and what we see on tape. I haven't seen any talent that is just better than what we've typically brought in. But again, TIME will be key. I'm looking forward to that.

I don't agree. We never had a RB who averaged 9.6 yards a carry and who was the South Florida player of the year. We never had a stud athlete from Dr Philips High School either. We are getting top notch local skill players now. Many of these type of athletes in the past turned out to be great players at very competitive college programs. They often shunned UCF. Especally in 2011-2015.

I don't agree. We never had a RB who averaged 9.6 yards a carry and who was the South Florida player of the year. We never had a stud athlete from Dr Philips High School either. We are getting top notch local skill players now. Many of these type of athletes in the past turned out to be great players at very competitive college programs. They often shunned UCF. Especally in 2011-2015.

You have a short memory then. I'm certain we've had county/area player of the year guys commit. Godfrey (QB, I know). Brynn Harvey had those accolades coming in. So did Mike Sims-Walker. These are guys I just know off the top of my head. Won't bother doing the research, because let's be honest. No one's opinion will change. Look, I get it. Frost is the new toy. Anything he does right now will be ogled over, and is exciting. But I just hate the notion that O'Leary just brought in some Long Island boys who couldn't run worth crap, and just sat there.

Maybe not South Florida player of the year, but Storm Johnson was2009 AAA Player of the Year by the AJC. Latavius Murray was 2007 Gatorade player of the year in the state of New York. Kevin Smith was all Dade county honors for running back and defensive back. The point is people are looking to see what they want to see. These new recruits look great, but lets be honest, they are not significantly better than we have traditionally gotten before. They are a different kind of recruit to be placed in a different kind of system. It is the hope that this new system will propel UCF forward.

There is no doubt that Frost brings an energy and youth to recruiting that was desperately lacking in the last years of GOL. But I think we need to be realistic as to the recruits he is currently signing and the speed in which he will be able to implement the new offense. That he is able to match and maintain recruiting from the last couple years in the short time he has been here is remarkable in and of itself. I am not sure any other coach could have done it. But can we stop with the comparisons with GOL? those comparisons are foolish and counterproductive. We are all glad that Frost is here and GOL has retired. Now just move on.

Maybe not South Florida player of the year, but Storm Johnson was2009 AAA Player of the Year by the AJC. Latavius Murray was 2007 Gatorade player of the year in the state of New York. Kevin Smith was all Dade county honors for running back and defensive back. The point is people are looking to see what they want to see. These new recruits look great, but lets be honest, they are not significantly better than we have traditionally gotten before. They are a different kind of recruit to be placed in a different kind of system. It is the hope that this new system will propel UCF forward.

There is no doubt that Frost brings an energy and youth to recruiting that was desperately lacking in the last years of GOL. But I think we need to be realistic as to the recruits he is currently signing and the speed in which he will be able to implement the new offense. That he is able to match and maintain recruiting from the last couple years in the short time he has been here is remarkable in and of itself. I am not sure any other coach could have done it. But can we stop with the comparisons with GOL? those comparisons are foolish and counterproductive. We are all glad that Frost is here and GOL has retired. Now just move on.

Bingo! My words exactly.

This isn't about GOL. This is about saying "we told you so" to the huggers. A little end zone celebration if you will.

This isn't about GOL. This is about saying "we told you so" to the huggers. A little end zone celebration if you will.

Oh come on, you hated GOL when we were #10 in the nation. It is about GOL hate for you. You need a 12 step for your GOL hatred [roll]

Well I guess the huggers celebrated their years the haters celebrate this year. Guess you both had your day, now stop already it is really getting tired. I just want to look forward without looking back.

Storm Johnson was a Transfer.

It's weird how many buzzkills/borderline critics there are of Frost already from some hardcores(that media guy caingle being the ringleader) when UCF is coming off 0-12 w GOL Players & Assistants and hired a Head Coach that just about everyone outside Orlando thought we outkicked our coverage. He's doing great given the circumstances he walked into but here we are w the spin in the other direction to build up Grandpa who had 2 0fers which is hard to do with a Football Program in Florida.

This could have ended way worse with a hiring of a Gene Chizik or Hoke type HC w the number of openings there were this offseason.

You have a short memory then. I'm certain we've had county/area player of the year guys commit. Godfrey (QB, I know). Brynn Harvey had those accolades coming in. So did Mike Sims-Walker. These are guys I just know off the top of my head. Won't bother doing the research, because let's be honest. No one's opinion will change. Look, I get it. Frost is the new toy. Anything he does right now will be ogled over, and is exciting. But I just hate the notion that O'Leary just brought in some Long Island boys who couldn't run worth crap, and just sat there.

You obvious didn't even read my post

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT