ADVERTISEMENT

NFL network to cover Alliance Pro Football.

That’s huge for them.
I sat next to one of the WR's on the plane to Orlando last August from Seattle. Very cool guy and former Olympian (braceyaself on Instagram). He had just been cut by the Seahawks. Unfortunately he went to FSU, but i don't hold that against him. Nice guy. He had nothing but good things to say about UCF and lives in the Orlando area.

Why not? It will be like the NBA's G- league and the NFL doesn't have to pay to operate.

Interesting that all three of Orlando's games being televised are all home games.

Bad news for Vince McMahon. He put $100 million of his own money in the XFL again. It's gonna flop badly. Stupid idea. The dude should have stuck to wrestling. He has failed BIGLY in literally everything else he's done.
still don't see either of these leagues lasting long unless the NFL is just going to prop it up so it doesn't lose money

it's one thing to watch bad quality if it's your Alma Mater

Reactions: ahabmw
I am open to watching the AAF and the Apollos. If the new rules are exciting and the offenses are watchable, I will become a fan for sure.

Reactions: Mikesi
Anybody on campus and see if they have changed the look of spectrum stadium yet? If they do take off, maybe they can help improve the stadium...i.e. a craft beer garden...

I am open to watching the AAF and the Apollos. If the new rules are exciting and the offenses are watchable, I will become a fan for sure.
I’m a big fan of kickoff returns. Seems like all levels of football are phasing it out and this league doesn’t even have them at all.

I’ll probably go to a few, because the atmosphere is such a fun day or night out at Spectrum and I’m sure the tickets/parking won’t be crazy expensive. Spurrier should have an exciting offense. Great HC choice there.

There’s just too much time between college football seasons and the weather outside is usually pretty amazing not to go if it’s decent football and one is a football fan

I’m a big fan of kickoff returns. Seems like all levels of football are phasing it out and this league doesn’t even have them at all.
Why? Not trolling, seriously asking.

There is such a small % of times it is anything exciting. Granted, when it is, it can be spectacular (see Hughes v USF 2017 season).

There is such a small % of times it is anything exciting. Granted, when it is, it can be spectacular (see Hughes v USF 2017 season).
To be fair I can understand, I grew up as a Bears fan watching Devin Hester

To be fair I can understand, I grew up as a Bears fan watching Devin Hester
Right - a very exciting player. But even Hester, being arguably one of the greatest returners of all time, still only had 5 TDs on 300 KO returns (<2%) and actually had more than twice as many fumbles (11) on those returns.

His career return yardage average is ~25 which isn’t super exciting. Maybe the most indicative stat of “excitement” is he took it at least 40 yards 10% of the time.

Reactions: FoxKnight
Right - a very exciting player. But even Hester, being arguably one of the greatest returners of all time, still only had 5 TDs on 300 KO returns (<2%) and actually had more than twice as many fumbles (11) on those returns.

His career return yardage average is ~25 which isn’t super exciting. Maybe the most indicative stat of “excitement” is he took it at least 40 yards 10% of the time.
Digging more:
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/leaders/kick_ret_yds_per_ret_career.htm

Handful of guys above or near 30 yards per return over their career - that’s impressive.

Yeah he definitely was better at punt returns. Even if he didn't score a lot on KOs, it was fun watching to see if he would.

still don't see either of these leagues lasting long unless the NFL is just going to prop it up so it doesn't lose money

it's one thing to watch bad quality if it's your Alma Mater

APF games being on NFL network gives them a chance to develop into pseudo NFL farm teams and get some NFL money through the network. The XFL will be done after 1 season again. $100 million down the drain.

Just because KO and punt returns for TDs are some of the most exciting plays even when they only happen sparingly. I guess as a UCF fan I’m a little biased

Even a return of 35-40 plus yard return can be exciting. A game not starting with a KO seems so much not like pure football

The AAF plan is even better than the Dixon plan in the USFL (which was totally broken), and kinda more like the CFL plan. They are using local players to gain local college fanbases, and smartly sticking to the south.

I have Birmingham Iron tickets, so I'll end up rooting for UAB as well as Auburn and Bama players. But when the Apollos come to town, it's going to be tough to not root for them.

Reactions: FoxKnight
Just because KO and punt returns for TDs are some of the most exciting plays even when they only happen sparingly. I guess as a UCF fan I’m a little biased

Even a return of 35-40 plus yard return can be exciting. A game not starting with a KO seems so much not like pure football
I agree - would be odd to not have them at all and the biggest question mark for me when taking them away are onside kicks. Another thing that rarely is exciting but can give teams a chance when they otherwise wouldn’t have one.

We have certainly had our fair share of good kick returners at UCf. I’m curious if, on average, the return for TD% / big play return % in college is higher than the NFL.

I saw an interesting breakdown for NFL kickoffs last year on YouTube. If you like stats, this guy does a lot of good sports stat stories:

he biggest question mark for me when taking them away are onside kicks. Another thing that rarely is exciting but can give teams a chance when they otherwise wouldn’t have one.
This! I didn’t even think of that. It gives a team virtually no chance of a desperate /miracle comeback

This! I didn’t even think of that. It gives a team virtually no chance of a desperate /miracle comeback
I believe it was the Rutgers coach who was pushing for rule changes after one of his players was paralyzed on a KO who had an interesting idea for this...

Something to the effect of give the “kicking” team the choice to go for it at like the 50 and a 4th and 25. I don’t remember the details but it would be an interesting take and probably as doable, if not more, than an onside kick.

I believe it was the Rutgers coach who was pushing for rule changes after one of his players was paralyzed on a KO who had an interesting idea for this...

Something to the effect of give the “kicking” team the choice to go for it at like the 50 and a 4th and 25. I don’t remember the details but it would be an interesting take and probably as doable, if not more, than an onside kick.
That’s better than an onside kick. Guarantees the team the ball and at the 50. That’s a 67 yard FG. Record is 64. Plus PI penalties or even offsides and it gets closer. That’s too much of an advantage.

The AAF rules allow you to either "kick" or attempt a 4th and 10 from your own 35. This is essentially the same idea, as kickoffs are from the 35 and the ball needs to go 10 yards. I bet teams would view this as more doable than an onside kick, so you will see teams go for it more often in the AAF. Imagine a really good offense keeping the ball again and again by converting the "onside" 4th and 10

Source: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/alliance-of-american-football-nfl-rule-changes

The AAF rules allow you to either "kick" or attempt a 4th and 10 from your own 35. This is essentially the same idea, as kickoffs are from the 35 and the ball needs to go 10 yards. I bet teams would view this as more doable than an onside kick, so you will see teams go for it more often in the AAF. Imagine a really good offense keeping the ball again and again by converting the "onside" 4th and 10

Source: https://ftw.usatoday.com/2018/03/alliance-of-american-football-nfl-rule-changes
That’s a very interesting concept. Should be exciting

Too bad Kevin Smith isn’t still playing. Would love to see him in this league and playing at Spectrum

As an aside, Justin Holman and Chequan Burkett were cut. This league probably has some pretty high level players overall

wonder how this is going to effect any structural fixes to the Stadium..any updates on the timeline of that?

Dy6ETvVUcAEubc2.jpg

I watched the game on DVR this early sunday morning. Pretty entertaining. Wondering if the rain kept people away as it looked like a 2015 UCF football attendance game.

How do you guys think the Apollos will affect UCF Football? Will we get more money and exposure? Will we lose potential hometown fans because there's a pro team here now?

How do you guys think the Apollos will affect UCF Football? Will we get more money and exposure? Will we lose potential hometown fans because there's a pro team here now?
doubt it has any effect, probably pulling from the same demo that went to Arena league games. if anything they may like the tailgating setup On Campus and consider going to a few UCF games in the Fall

Reactions: Knight Strength
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT