ADVERTISEMENT

NIT

Boulder, CO, has the best bike route system in the nation. You really have to be fit to deal with the altitude and steep inclines, too! My closest friend did his doctorate there. UColorado long ago developed a rep for its drugs, activism, and partying.
CycleTrackNYC.jpg
Not sure what part of "Boulder" this is, there are no building above 3-4 stories in Boulder.

6 of the 8 games were upsets, crazy.

1 Cal lost to 8 CSU Bakersfield
3 Utah lost to 6 Boise State
3 Alabama lost to 6 Richmond
3 Indiana lost to 6 Georgia Tech
2 Clemson lost to 7 Oakland
4 Monmouth lost to 5 Ole Miss

2 Illinois beat 7 Valparaiso
4 Colorado State beat 5 Charleston

Former Memphis Coach Josh Pastner makes in to the NIT with GT and wins the first round. Meanwhile Memphis didn't even make it to a tourney this year.

Assuming UCF wins tonight, we should all be cheering for 8 UC Irvine to beat 1 Illinois St. so we can host another home game. Go Knights!
Also, home court or P5 wasn't any advantage --
P5 schools were 2-5 and visiting teams won more than home teams

NIT would be a good March Madness Bracket. Wonder why it isn't tried at least. Would be tough to get a lot correct. But would get people to watch more.

NIT would be a good March Madness Bracket. Wonder why it isn't tried at least. Would be tough to get a lot correct. But would get people to watch more.
Perhaps it's because the NITs are in the evening where employees don't need an excuse or subterfuge to watch.

Colorado is slicing and dicing up our defense. Lucky we are hitting shots thus far or this would be ugly.

Great game. Four dancers and a handful of cheerleaders made it thank goodness. And it was only a "4-tuba game" but they were really rockin'. One guy in the shooting contest bypassed the 3-point line shot and tried from center court twice -- neat trick.

As I predicted, this was AJ's type of game where he could free wheel and run. Not that Cincy/SMU/ECU slo-mo imitation of basketball. And clearly the Buffalo players didn't fully believe the scouting report on Matt as he shot 3 quick 3s and a couple others to get the team going early. When Tacko was resting, you could see how disappointed they got when scoring wasn't any easier. At the half, we were shooting 62% and 6 of 10 from beyond the arc.

If anything, this was more physical than Cincy. AJ said in radio interview that after BJ was hit in the eye, he had trouble seeing so Davis took over at point for a while. Their 6-7 guard was as advertised: scored 30, 6 assists, 6 rebounded, and impossible to guard; he blocked one of Matt's quick-release shots, too.

Matt 4 of 5 on threes, BJ 5 of 8, team 12 of 22 or 55%, 54% overall, and 53% on free throws. Tacko had 3 more blocks. Four Knights in double figures. A rare game with more assists (12) than turnovers (10). Couldn't control the boards for the second straight game: tied 34-34.

The free throw shooting in the last minute was pathetic. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we won and CFE was rocking. But up 12 with a minute to go and they get it down to 3 because we can't make "gimmies," it was nerve wracking.

Reactions: Knight_Light
Great birthday present for AJ...A WIN!!

“It was A.J.’s birthday, so that says it all,” UCF coach Johnny Dawkins said with a smile. “What a day. A.J. saved one of his best games of the season for postseason. He had a great game today and not because of the points he scored. I thought it was his best all-around game.”

The free throw shooting in the last minute was pathetic. Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we won and CFE was rocking. But up 12 with a minute to go and they get it down to 3 because we can't make "gimmies," it was nerve wracking.

Nick, BJ, and Matt all shot better from 3pt range than the free throw line. Tacko missed both FTs he attempted. So technically, of the starters, only AJ Davis shot better from the FT line than the 3pt line last night.

Wed night Attendance:

#7 Belmont 78, #2 Georgia 69 at UGA: 2,905
#1 Illinois State 85, UC Irvine 71 at ISU: 5,124
#4 UCF 79, #5 Colorado 74 at UCF: 3,675
#1 Syracuse 90, #8 UNCG 77 at Cuse: 4,288
#7 Akron 78, Houston 75 in Houston, at Texas Southern Arena: 1,928*
#4 TCU 66, #5 Fresno St 59 at TCU: 4,271
#1 Iowa 87, #8 South Dakota 75 at Iowa: 12,864
#6 UT Arlington 105, #3 BYU 89 at BYU: 7,247

* TSU's HPE Arena is 1.6 miles from UH's Hofheinz Pavilion.

NOTE: Most games on Wed drew better than those on Tuesday...as teams had a full extra day to promote/sell tix.

Wed night Attendance:

NOTE: Most games on Wed drew better than those on Tuesday...as teams had a full extra day to promote/sell tix.

Great stats.

Texas Southern is literally right next to UH. However it's starts getting real sketchy around TS vs UH office building like campus. Someone who doesn't know could easily mistake TS as the back end of UHs campus. Point is, there is virtually no travel distance.

They run the NIT nicely to complement the NCAA's: Mon-Wed play dates and home games for the better team. The low prices really contrast with those charged for NCAA games, too. Great opportunity, also, to try out prospective rules changes. The game went faster and smoother without all that foul shooting there would have been near the end of the first half.

Reactions: UCFhonors
They run the NIT nicely to complement the NCAA's: Mon-Wed play dates and home games for the better team. The low prices really contrast with those charged for NCAA games, too. Great opportunity, also, to try out prospective rules changes. The game went faster and smoother without all that foul shooting there would have been near the end of the first half.

All true.

I do think the resetting of the team fouls hurt us in this particular game. They had 5 fouls 7-8mins into the second half / 3rd quarter. So with the standard rules we would have been shooting FTs after their 7th. No doubt under the standard rules they would have had to lay off from fouling late in the game. The reset allowed them to play tight.

It's something interesting to watch. I'm all for trying to make the game better though.

Last edited:
All true.
I do think the resetting of the team fouls hurt us in this particular game. They had 5 fouls 7-8mins into the second half / 3rd quarter.
It's something interesting to watch. I'm all for trying to make the game better.
If they're gonna put team fouls back to zero, why not just play quarters like the women, high school, and NBA so there can be a short break in between.

Another NIT 1 seed goes down. 1 Syracuse lost to 5 Ole Miss. Let's hope this is a trend. Go Knights!

Another NIT 1 seed goes down. 1 Syracuse lost to 5 Ole Miss. Let's hope this is a trend. Go Knights!
So strange: majority of NIT games are upsets while NCAAs another yawner with almost 80% of favorites winning, often by outrageous margins.

Wed night Attendance:

#4 TCU 66, #5 Fresno St 59 at TCU: 4,271
#1 Iowa 87, #8 South Dakota 75 at Iowa: 12,864
#6 UT Arlington 105, #3 BYU 89 at BYU: 7,247

Wow. 4,288 for a Syracuse game in a city that has terrible weather and very little to do. Tells me the fans are very spoiled.

Wow. 4,288 for a Syracuse game in a city that has terrible weather and very little to do. Tells me the fans are very spoiled.
I was there in for a football game under the uncollapsed dome back in the early 1980s. Third highest ave. snowfall in the U.S. (behind Buffalo and Rochester) due to the "lake effects" off Erie. Lotsa white outs along I-81.

I was there in for a football game under the uncollapsed dome back in the early 1980s. Third highest ave. snowfall in the U.S. (behind Buffalo and Rochester) due to the "lake effects" off Erie. Lotsa white outs along I-81.
I know. My first year of college was in Oswego. It was crazy

Reactions: UCFProf
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT