ADVERTISEMENT

Nm

What did you mean by community policing?
I am talking about big city programs where the police department works hard to ingrain themselves into the community so that instead of an "Us vs "Them" distrust, you've got everybody on the same side.

BTW, it would be hard to describe volunteer militia as "community policing" when, as we saw in Wisconsin, we've got gunslingers coming from out-of-state to "protect property."

From what the people living in those neighborhoods..er, zones, are saying, they are.

All the more reason for community policing.
Can you even define what community policing is versus what any agency is doing?

The reason that I used the word zones is because many agencies break their jurisdiction into sectors or districts (if they're bigger) and then zones. Neighborhoods fit within zones but may transition between zones. They then assign patrol officers to zones. Some agencies mix it up regularly, my wife has patrolled the same zone for 5 years (it's by far the highest crime zone in the city but she has a way with the people in her neighborhoods). It's just an administrative tool.

Leave it to you to try to spin the definition negatively. I guess you don't care that when they are reminded to do area checks it's often "check your neighborhoods."

I am talking about big city programs where the police department works hard to ingrain themselves into the community so that instead of an "Us vs "Them" distrust, you've got everybody on the same side.

BTW, it would be hard to describe volunteer militia as "community policing" when, as we saw in Wisconsin, we've got gunslingers coming from out-of-state to "protect property."
That sounds great from a 500k foot level. Now, tell us what that actually means.

There’s only a zillion examples of community policing out there. I thought you were the one who knew all about policing.
I do know very well what it means. I think you're throwing a catchphrase that you read in an article somewhere out to sound smart without any real idea of what the goals of C.O.P. are and what it actually looks like in a police department.

I do know very well what it means. I think you're throwing a catchphrase that you read in an article somewhere out to sound smart without any real idea of what the goals of C.O.P. are and what it actually looks like in a police department.
You might be surprised to learn I know more about the subject than you think. But hey, it's certainly easier to trash me than it is to scoff at the effectiveness of community policing programs.

You might be surprised to learn I know more about the subject than you think. But hey, it's certainly easier to trash me than it is to scoff at the effectiveness of community policing programs.
Yet you haven't even put forth one point in answer of my question. Responding with emotion over substance doesn't really display confidence in your audience that you know what you're talking about.

Yet you haven't even put forth one point in answer of my question.
Okay, I'll bite. The successful community policing efforts that I've heard police chiefs talk about include: 1) having officers who are assigned to a neighborhood and work to become part of the community and foster a sense of trust where there has only been mistrust in the past. 2) It also involves the extensive use of technology in the community in order to put officers in the right places at the right times based on daily & weekly crime stats and using technology to engage the neighborhood and vise versa. Also, body cams. And 3) working with community leaders to make sure that the police actions are in sync with the stated goals and values of the community (the Jacksonville video 'pedestrian ticketing' is likely an example of a misalignment of values given the condition of its neighborhood sidewalks.)
Responding with emotion over substance doesn't really display confidence in your audience that you know what you're talking about.
What? Who is the "emotional" one in this discussion? I'm not the one defending a cop who shot a Black suspect in the back seven times!!! How in the world can you look at the facts and claim your defense of that cop is not based on emotions? I feel sorry for the cop too but that doesn't change what he did.

Okay, I'll bite. The successful community policing efforts that I've heard police chiefs talk about include: 1) having officers who are assigned to a neighborhood and work to become part of the community and foster a sense of trust where there has only been mistrust in the past. 2) It also involves the extensive use of technology in the community in order to put officers in the right places at the right times based on daily & weekly crime stats and using technology to engage the neighborhood and vise versa. Also, body cams. And 3) working with community leaders to make sure that the police actions are in sync with the stated goals and values of the community (the Jacksonville video 'pedestrian ticketing' is likely an example of a misalignment of values given the condition of its neighborhood sidewalks.)
What? Who is the "emotional" one in this discussion? I'm not the one defending a cop who shot a Black suspect in the back seven times!!! How in the world can you look at the facts and claim your defense of that cop is not based on emotions? I feel sorry for the cop too but that doesn't change what he did.

Last point first, because I can look past the one red-herring fact of the 7 shots To the totality of the circumstances. Why can’t you?

For the COPS discussion, you’ve got some of it. It’s also eliminating a lot of the specialized teams and putting more generalized patrol officers in the neighborhoods. Supplying those officers with training in the diverse topics that are required for community-oriented policing.

Increasing interactions and improving communication in order to build trust. One of the more valuable things police did was enact the SRO programs. It created opportunities for police to have non-investigative interactions with children and starts to engender positive visuals with police. And then the schools changed the rules and reduced or eliminated interactions. Now they are active shooter guards. Opportunity lost.

Heres a very good resource for COPS: https://www.ncjrs.gov/pdffiles/commp.pdf

Many police agencies Engage in a good number of these activities already. None of it will matter when a black man is shot by a police officer in that town. Because the law firm of Benjamin Crump and BLM/Antifa are very good at setting a public narrative and the police departments around America are absolutely terrible at PR and messaging.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT