ADVERTISEMENT

Nm

If we had common sense gun laws, this black man would not have had one and nobody would have been shot.

Is that the right way to interject race into the discussion? I've been watching shuckster do it for a couple of years so I thought I'd give it a try.
He was black??

If we had common sense gun laws, this black man would not have had one and nobody would have been shot.

Is that the right way to interject race into the discussion? I've been watching shuckster do it for a couple of years so I thought I'd give it a try.
As you know, we do have common sense gun laws already. The vast majority of the people that make that statement are just ignorant of them.

As you know, we do have common sense gun laws already. The vast majority of the people that make that statement are just ignorant of them.
Yeah, buts there's no reason this guy should have been walking around with an assault pistol that can literally blow your head off. He wasnt hunting anything and thats what the 2nd amendment is all about. Plus, the founders thought that guns would never fire more than 1 round in a 10 minute period. It would have taken over an hour to shoot Jacob blake 7 times based on what the constitution intended.

Yeah, buts there's no reason this guy should have been walking around with an assault pistol that can literally blow your head off. He wasnt hunting anything and thats what the 2nd amendment is all about. Plus, the founders thought that guns would never fire more than 1 round in a 10 minute period. It would have taken over an hour to shoot Jacob blake 7 times based on what the constitution intended.
The muskets of the revolutionary war era were regularly reloaded by trained soldiers in 15-20 seconds. In addition, the British had started to use the Ferguson rifle that could shoot 6 rounds per minute. It is inconceivable that the founders did not consider advances in weapons beyond what was in existence, which fired far more than the 1 in 10 minutes that you related.

I haven’t been following the story today. Do they have a suspect?

I wonder if it’s part of a gang member imitation. That would be nuts to go to that extreme. I’m sure whoever it is, the coverup and getaway were pretty well planned, but for the right reward, someone will talk

The muskets of the revolutionary war era were regularly reloaded by trained soldiers in 15-20 seconds. In addition, the British had started to use the Ferguson rifle that could shoot 6 rounds per minute. It is inconceivable that the founders did not consider advances in weapons beyond what was in existence, which fired far more than the 1 in 10 minutes that you related.

Yeah , 15-20 seconds if you are part of the militia, which is obviously outdated and should also be banned. Plus, tanks and jets are unconstitutional.

All we know is that the shooter was a dark skinned man and this:

I wonder if it’s part of a gang member imitation. That would be nuts to go to that extreme. I’m sure whoever it is, the coverup and getaway were pretty well planned, but for the right reward, someone will talk
100,000 dollar reward. I can still almost guarantee that he won't be caught. Anybody that knows anything will be implicated in the shooting or be hunted down by the rest of the gang.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
100,000 dollar reward. I can still almost guarantee that he won't be caught. Anybody that knows anything will be implicated in the shooting or be hunted down by the rest of the gang.
It will just take time

That video has zero to do with our discussion in this thread. No one is going to fault this officer’s actions.

That video has zero to do with our discussion in this thread. No one is going to fault this officer’s actions.
Apparently some are faulting the officers actions, unless there is a different explanation for the riots.

We have a thread this morning about a maskless MAGA hatter beating up a 70 year old man who had the audacity of asking him about his mask and you’re surprised that some riots broke out when word spread that another black man was killed by a cop? There’s a lot of crazy people in this world.

Fortunately that doesn’t apply to all of us WC posters.

Why are you constantly bringing race into everything. The guy that beat up the 70 year old guy was black but that wasn't even mentioned by me. The knife dude was like feet away from the officer and was put down. There are protesting for this vary act. The cop has to get stabbed or shot by the woke.
Because he’s buying into critical race theory which pushes that everything is about race.

We have a thread this morning about a maskless MAGA hatter beating up a 70 year old man who had the audacity of asking him about his mask and you’re surprised that some riots broke out when word spread that another black man was killed by a cop? There’s a lot of crazy people in this world.

Fortunately that doesn’t apply to all of us WC posters.
The guy that was shot wasn't black.

We always hear that "racist shit" from cops only seems that way because they're always dealing with (pick your scumbag descriptor -- rapist, druggie, former felon, thug, etc.) who just happens to be Black.

I found this video interesting because a cop decides to knock on the door of a closed business after hours and ask what's going on. You'd expect a good cop to check, right? But what should have been a ten second inquiry escalated into a stupid eleven minute confrontation because the cop decided he'd play the "Hey boy, what are you doing here this late?" routine when it was painfully obvious that the folks in the store were employees and nothing criminal was going on. In fact the guy who answered when the cop knocked on the door was the owner.. But...they were all BLACK...so the cop couldn't just take the guy's word that things were cool and felt compelled to press the issue.

Ironically, after the initial cop's supervisor was called to the scene and after MORE arguing, a white man from down the street yelled to the cops, "HE'S THE OWNER!" and the cops immediately took that as confirmation and walked back their demand to see the Black store owner's identification. Funny how that works, huh?

This is a clip from Jacksonville, Florida. Anyone who wonders why there is such outrage at police violence towards Blacks need to walk in the shoes of a poor Black kid from Jacksonville for a day.

Infrastructure doesn’t necessarily help the issue. Apopka built a pedestrian bridge across Main Street to try to keep people from getting hit. People don’t use it. Well, except for the mental calls that try to jump from the Bridge into traffic.

The video touched on this but black and poor people are disproportionately killed in pedestrian accidents as well. Part of this is infrastructure but much of this is behavior. I can understand a city deciding to enforce certain ordinances to try to condition behavior, but it doesn’t seem to work. So what do you do in the damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation?

Also, cop was a dick. Of course, we don’t know what happened before the video started to see if they said something or not but I’d probably give the kids the benefit of the doubt there. Of course, you don’t know what that cop’s mental frame was either; maybe he had to work Traffic Homicide Incident recently involving a pedestrian killed jaywalking. Police are people too and that stuff stays with you.

The video touched on this but black and poor people are disproportionately killed in pedestrian accidents as well. Part of this is infrastructure but much of this is behavior. I can understand a city deciding to enforce certain ordinances to try to condition behavior, but it doesn’t seem to work. So what do you do in the damned if you do, damned if you don’t situation?
I don't disagree with what you're saying BUT I have a hard time justifying the enforcement of the city's pedestrian traffic laws when the video showed numerous clips of broken down and non-existent sidewalks -- including ones next to bus stops. Addressing those clearcut safety hazards should be the city's first priority before considering 'cracking down' on jaywalkers.

FYI, IMHO, it's often the drip-drip-drip of 'little things' like that cop's interaction with Devonte -- similar to what was going on in Ferguson, Missouri prior to the Brown shooting -- that eventually blows up on a police department when something really big happens.

Reactions: Crazyhole
I don't disagree with what you're saying BUT I have a hard time justifying the enforcement of the city's pedestrian traffic laws when the video showed numerous clips of broken down and non-existent sidewalks -- including ones next to bus stops. Addressing those clearcut safety hazards should be the city's first priority before considering 'cracking down' on jaywalkers.

FYI, IMHO, it's often the drip-drip-drip of 'little things' like that cop's interaction with Devonte -- similar to what was going on in Ferguson, Missouri prior to the Brown shooting -- that eventually blows up on a police department when something really big happens.
While I can't say that I like the comparison to Michael Brown, you make a good point. How are police officers expected to enforce policies that don't coincide with reality on the ground? Why would people, regardless of color, obey laws that are almost impossible to obey? Everybody involved is in a catch 22.

There are a ton of differences between the Michael Brown interaction and this one. Michael Brown was walking down the middle of the road when the officer asked him to move to the sidewalk. Would you rather the officer just went on by and didn’t ask him to move to the sidewalk?

There are a ton of differences between the Michael Brown interaction and this one. Michael Brown was walking down the middle of the road when the officer asked him to move to the sidewalk. Would you rather the officer just went on by and didn’t ask him to move to the sidewalk?
To be clear here, my comparison of what's going on in Jacksonville to Ferguson had nothing to do with the Brown shooting. I was saying that when a police department fines people for a bunch of stupid shit like they did in Ferguson (and are apparently doing in Jacksonville), ANY deadly altercation (like the Brown shooting) is likely to spark a race riot.

To be clear here, my comparison of what's going on in Jacksonville to Ferguson had nothing to do with the Brown shooting. I was saying that when a police department fines people for a bunch of stupid shit like they did in Ferguson (and are apparently doing in Jacksonville), ANY deadly altercation (like the Brown shooting) is likely to spark a race riot.
Agree. But obviously you can see how attractive increased enforcement looks to try to curb behavior. I seem to remember that there were issues in Ferguson with people interfering with traffic and with ethnic turf wars before the city escalated enforcement. I think this included people walking down the middle of the street ripping an Eastern European from his car and killing him. It’s not like they just decided to do it in a vacuum.

So how do you attempt to change behavior when education, encouragement, and enforcement don’t work?

So how do you attempt to change behavior when education, encouragement, and enforcement don’t work?
You said yourself that the cop in the Jacksonville video was a dick. It's THAT kind of attitude that dooms many education, encouragement, and enforcement efforts across the country.

Those progressive police departments who recognize that this often, culturally-ingrained "FU" attitude within their ranks severely poisons police-community relations and who make a concerted effort to rebuild their relationships with the community they serve have actually found success in turning things around.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
You said yourself that the cop in the Jacksonville video was a dick. It's THAT kind of attitude that dooms many education, encouragement, and enforcement efforts across the country.

Those progressive police departments who recognize that this often, culturally-ingrained "FU" attitude within their ranks severely poisons police-community relations and who make a concerted effort to rebuild their relationships with the community they serve have actually found success in turning things around.
An officer being a dick or not really has no effect on whether people follow the general civilized rules that we have though. Rules like not walking in the middle of the road, stopping at stop signs, etc. How do we get people to do the right thing?

This is the kind of stuff that cops have to deal with. We can argue as long as the day is long about whether the laws they are enforcing are legit, but there is no debate about whether their job is dangerous and when they should be allowed to protect their own lives. This guy killed someone doing their job and nothing more.

This is the kind of stuff that cops have to deal with.
This is a great example of how much patience cops show to SOME people who are blatantly resisting arrest.

I wonder why they cut this guy so much slack when he was being a total a-hole? Hell, they even called him by his first name in an effort to reason with him!

Powerwalking.

giphy.gif
Ok, I have to admit that this right there is some funny chit🤣🤣🤣

Since somebody intimated that cops are wrong to treat their zones like they’re war zones:
From what the people living in those neighborhoods..er, zones, are saying, they are.

All the more reason for community policing.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT