ADVERTISEMENT

No staff and less than 22 days from kickoff: (Pic)

Good god, you are beyond any hope or reason. You gotta be the most delusional ‘fan’ of college football. Great work. Now go have another good cry.
Who’s the one always crying? Fanatical? Yes.
Delusional. Maybe since you’re sitting behind your computer at home you would be better off looking up what delusional means and compare it to my posts, before making a blanket statement internet tough guy

Reactions: SADUCFKNIGHT17
It doesn't work that way. If you've ever coached organized football you'll know what I mean. The systems may look similar, but they are different enough. And the terminology isn't the same. If the players have to start thinking about what the call was they will not be able to execute it.

Not what is being suggested, playbook stays the same, signaled into the team exactly like they have been all year, just by a different coach. lets see, 3rd and 3, lets run a bubble screen. The backup QB signals a bubble screen....or a QB option to AK, or a freakin jet sweep. Did the players forget how to run those plays????? Pick a game with an opponent with a similar D and reuse the game plan and script the plays accordingly.........

Reactions: Stormthecourt?
true, what is plan b????

I don't know that there is a good Plan B. Perhaps have Heupel get up to speed on Frost's system (as much as reasonably possible) and let him call it. It won't be as fast or effective, but with no returning staff available it might be the best option. The players can't learn Heupel's system fast enough (if one guy screws up the whole play crashes and burns), but Heupel might be able to become sufficient in Frost's system.

Reactions: Mikesi and JAFFX2
I don't know that there is a good Plan B. Perhaps have Heupel get up to speed on Frost's system (as much as reasonably possible) and let him call it. It won't be as fast or effective, but with no returning staff available it might be the best option. The players can't learn Heupel's system fast enough (if one guy screws up the whole play crashes and burns), but Heupel might be able to become sufficient in Frost's system.

YESSSSS

It absolutely has to be Frost’s system. It took over a year to implement most of it, so I figure Heupel’s would take awhile. Defense definitely should be doable with 3 weeks of Shannon

Milton calls the offense and Shaquem calls the defense with Knight Fan Stan making the "kick it or go for it" decisions.

I think that is asking way too much of your QB. You can give him the green light to audible if he sees something, but the primary calls need to come from the sideline coach who is in contact with the press box.

Not what is being suggested, playbook stays the same, signaled into the team exactly like they have been all year, just by a different coach. lets see, 3rd and 3, lets run a bubble screen. The backup QB signals a bubble screen....or a QB option to AK, or a freakin jet sweep. Did the players forget how to run those plays????? Pick a game with an opponent with a similar D and reuse the game plan and script the plays accordingly.........

So Heupel gets access to Frost's playbook?

He did, but Killins forgot his. When Frost asked him to go back and bring it to him, he was stopped just short of the jet running up the middle of the runway by Danny White. So we have one

[laughing][laughing][laughing][laughing]

So Heupel gets access to Frost's playbook?
The playbook should for most offenses look similar. With different names. What would a playbook do if they can't hear the play call? No advantage with seeing another teams play book.

The playbook should for most offenses look similar. With different names. What would a playbook do if they can't hear the play call? No advantage with seeing another teams play book

The point is this.....Use the same playbook as we have all year, take a gameplan from a similar opponent based of D scheme, use that game plan which is essentially a subset of the playbook for a specific game, CJH calls the plays i.e. 3rd and short I think we should run a bubble screen or a jet sweep or whatever, backup QBs signals in the play..........The part that is missing will be the game day adjustments and we all know we won't be missing a whole lot in that regard;)

I think we all need to take a step back from the ledge. Once the dead period starts on 12/18 and the early signing period ends on 12/20, the ex-staff will have plenty of time to prepare for this game. The idea that the new staff could do anything is insane.

I think not coming back to coach the bowl game would make Scott & Co. look incredibly bad and hurt his credibility, especially since everyone knows the WHOLE staff went to Nebraska. It's not like Frost left and we had the rest of the staff to fill in the gaps. I wouldn't want a stain like that on my career, but maybe it would be viewed differently in the coaching world.

Even if Frost & Co. phone it in, it's no worse than what our current staff would reasonably be able to do in such a short amount of time.

Not the best situation all around given the historic season we've had. :(

Last edited:
I think we all need to take a step back from the ledge. Once the dead period starts on 12/18 and the early signing period ends on 12/20, the ex-staff will have plenty of time to prepare for this game. The idea that the new staff could do anything is insane.

The discussion @JAFFX2 and I were having was what to do if Frost does NOT agree to coach the bowl game.

Reactions: JAFFX2
Bama was in playoffs. Every year now. Different money. Plus the AAC has revenue sharing. So we get the same amount of money if we play or Houston plays in game.

SEC does the same thing with revenue sharing. Regardless, forfeiting is not an option for anyone. Any school that agrees to play in a bowl game, and then forfeits, would be guaranteed significant repercussions from not only the bowl folks, but their own conference. Heck, the NCAA might ban them from bowls going forward for a few years.

SEC does the same thing with revenue sharing. Regardless, forfeiting is not an option for anyone. Any school that agrees to play in a bowl game, and then forfeits, would be guaranteed significant repercussions from not only the bowl folks, but their own conference. Heck, the NCAA might ban them from bowls going forward for a few years.
Yes wouldn't be a good move.

I root for any AAC team when not playing UCF. A stronger AAC not only helps with perception but also our bank accounts if we land in major bowls.

Reactions: G8RLegist
A lot of you were outraged that Frost was going to coach the bowl game. Now those same people are pissed he might not.

f9d.gif

Even if Frost & Co. phone it in, it's no worse than what our current staff would reasonably be able to do in such a short amount of time.

Assuming the new staff has Frost's playbook and wisely decides to keep that all the same (except defense, hard to get much worse there). Is it really that hard to call plays?

Assuming the new staff has Frost's playbook and wisely decides to keep that all the same (except defense, hard to get much worse there). Is it really that hard to call plays?

We're down at least 7 coaches. I imagine it would be extremely difficult to hire the rest of the coaching staff and learn/practice a new playbook enough to all be in sync in time for the bowl game.

Reactions: Mikesi
Yes. It's not just calling plays. It's subtleties. It's running several plays to get a defense thinking one way, or moving one way, and then...bang....you do something to take advantage of it. It's not just picking plays out of a book and randomly calling them. If it were that easy we could get one of the experts off this board to call the game.

Reactions: G8RLegist
A new coach has had to have called the plays at a Bowl game once in the past 10-20 years. Does anyone know of any examples?

crazy but without UCF SF and this staff get nothing..pay raises P5 nothing etc etc. To ask for UCF to compensate then for one game would be ignorant.....UCF did compensate them by getting them to a P5 program.

Does anyone know what kind of compensation they are talking about? Is is just for traveling and lodging for the coaches or something much more?

You guys have thrown a lot of good suggestions out there. No doubt. This has been analyzed in great detail by the media and fans alike

However, none of the recommendations are without major flaws.

There is one answer to all of this and I’m going with it.

Danny White has it!

Sometimes there are no good answers but if there are I'll put my trust in Danny White and let the cards fall where they may.

if Frost backs out the media is going to crush him. It would be different if he only took half the staff but he took every single assistant & even support staff.

UCF would be left in an unprecedented situation for an undefeated team and no matter how Frost tries to spin it to blame UCF he will looks worse. Try to go recruit after that Bad Pr

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT