ADVERTISEMENT

Okie State QB Spencer Sanders

I can always tell who never played sports at a high-level by comments like this. There is no such thing as “guaranteed starter” in the future, yet you keep posting things like this.

I don’t know why people can’t get over the fact that maybe a player just outperforms another player in practice and/or fits what a coaching staff is looking for. If Plumlee was “guaranteed” anything, why would McClain transfer here? You think a kid with that kind of HS pedigree and experience starting in college is going to willingly transfer to UCF without intending to compete for a starting role? In this era of college football, you actually think TC is going to be okay waiting three years at a school before he starts because Plumlee was “guaranteed” something?

Please. Those guys will compete next year and the best player will get the opportunity. It just might be Plumlee again, it might not. The coaches don’t owe him anything. Just because he beat out Mikey Keene in one Fall camp, don’t take that as a referendum that he was given a job for life lol. Can we please stop the QB debating until at least July/August. This season isn’t even over yet. We’re still in the same calendar year where 90% of the people on here went from hate-posting about Keene’s noodle arm 24/7 to calling for a statue of him within months.
There is a reason Keene announced to staff he was leaving right before season started. Because of the sham of a competition. There wasn’t one and won’t be one next year. Not sure what high level you are talking about but 99% of people in here didn’t play at UCF if that’s your criteria. Including you.

And here is why UCF is in a tough spot for high level QB transfers. This article profiles the top 8 left. 16 different schools are listed as possible destinations for these guys, along with 20 guys with a transfer grade that have already committed (that list includes powerhouses like Fordham, Rice, and Nevada).

So of the 36 top rated QB commitments or possibilities, UCF has shown up 0 times.

Are we refusing phone calls (doubtful), not looking (would be extremely stupid), does no one want to play for Gus personally (unlikely), or is the type of offense we run the problem (looks more likely as times goes on). It isn't like there should be no opportunity to win the job, as our QB room consists of:

1. A part-time QB who is very athletic but doesn't pass well
2. An incoming sophomore with very little playing time who looked less than prepared
3. A quick trigger transfer who started 10 games for a really bad team and only averaged 0.5 passing TDs with 188 yards per game passing, and 1.9 yards per rush.
4. True Freshman

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...line-top-available-QBs-201425652/#201425652_1

And here is why UCF is in a tough spot for high level QB transfers. This article profiles the top 8 left. 16 different schools are listed as possible destinations for these guys, along with 20 guys with a transfer grade that have already committed (that list includes powerhouses like Fordham, Rice, and Nevada).

So of the 36 top rated QB commitments or possibilities, UCF has shown up 0 times.

Are we refusing phone calls (doubtful), not looking (would be extremely stupid), does no one want to play for Gus personally (unlikely), or is the type of offense we run the problem (looks more likely as times goes on). It isn't like there should be no opportunity to win the job, as our QB room consists of:

1. A part-time QB who is very athletic but doesn't pass well
2. An incoming sophomore with very little playing time who looked less than prepared
3. A quick trigger transfer who started 10 games for a really bad team and only averaged 0.5 passing TDs with 188 yards per game passing, and 1.9 yards per rush.
4. True Freshman

https://247sports.com/LongFormArtic...line-top-available-QBs-201425652/#201425652_1
Give it up dude. No one good is transferring in when the incumbent starter remains. Transfers are looking for either NIL money or sure fire playing time. I’m pretty sure the coaching staff isn’t looking either since they have JRP, TC and McClain.

Reactions: Knight Strength
We only used 3 guys this year. Would have been 2 if they weren’t trying to save redshirts. The expert Cabana Clown thinks we are real desirable and JRP isn’t going to be the starter. Yet here we are and JRP will start.

JRP is basically guaranteed to start unless something crazy happens. I hope he improves drastically despite playing baseball all spring.

JRP had a really good year. If not for injuries he’d of been a 3,000+ passer and 1000+ rusher. Pretty sure everyone would have taken that beginning of the year. Some of you are just butt hurt that MK didn’t play for whatever reason, but it was clear JRP fit the offense better. The rest probably need to look at the coaches play calling and/or the OL inconsistent play. Every qb misses some throws, hating JRP when he gave 1000% effort is ridiculous.

Reactions: akahotsizzle
I believe JRP will improve. I've said before somewhere, that JRP did better than I anticipated. After watching his OM highlights and talking to an OM alumnus friend, in the preseason I was expecting Anthony Richardson. A hyper athlete that simply doesn't know how to throw and is a 50% completion rate QB at best. I won't profess to anyone that he's a great QB, but either he's not as bad as others made him out to be, or as bad as I even convinced myself he would be, or he improved with Gus.

YearSchoolConfClassPosGCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate
2019Ole MissSECFRQB
9​
79​
150​
52.7​
910​
6.1​
5.7​
4​
3​
108.4​
2022UCFAmericanSRQB
12​
197​
312​
63.1​
2404​
7.7​
7.6​
14​
7​
138.2​

I also won't profess that Gus is a God. But you cannot look at these two full seasons and think JRP doesn't know how to evaluate and get better, and that Gus hasn't made the most of him. 240 yards/game at a 63% completion rate isn't bad for a hyper athlete that doesn't know how to throw. Jet sweeps? Sure, they pad the numbers. Do I care? A little yes, it does bother me some but when they hit they hit big and that's all I really care about.

My point is I think JRP still has a lot more to prove. He had three years at OM of hearing how he was a great kid but a shit QB. I believe he'll want to come out and really put the nail in the coffin on the belief that he is just a runner and can't throw. With a bit more accuracy and fewer ints, we have a phenom on our hands. I'm looking forward to it.

Geez, all I remember from you guys this season is how JP was a liability because he couldn't pass well enough to get past good defenses that played their gaps (UL, ECU, and Navy) and he got hurt too much (Cinn, Memphis, usf, Tulane gm 2).

And how is he going to improve much playing baseball all Spring?

At year 5 in college football, he is who he is. And no one hyping up the other 2 choices says alot as well.

We need another option we have thus far been unable or unwilling to obtain.

Geez, all I remember from you guys this season is how JP was a liability because he couldn't pass well enough to get past good defenses that played their gaps (UL, ECU, and Navy) and he got hurt too much (Cinn, Memphis, usf, Tulane gm 2).

And how is he going to improve much playing baseball all Spring?

At year 5 in college football, he is who he is. And no one hyping up the other 2 choices says alot as well.

We need another option we have thus far been unable or unwilling to obtain.
I doubt we're looking for a QB at all. We have four and that's as many you can keep in the transfer portal era. Maybe they're not to your liking but Gus likes them. The biggest thing we're looking for now is LBs.

Reactions: U C to the F
I wonder who the bigger tard is

Shark whose been here 10 years and has yet to be right on anything

Or the inbred from barn who wants to **** Gus

• Angry
  • Dislike
Reactions: Shark19 and Yaes
I will have you know, Ma'am, my cousins were some of the finest girls at my school.

I like the one who is a four-year starting quarterback with 9,553 career passing yards and 67 touchdowns as a 61% passer to go along with 1,956 rushing yards and 18 touchdowns on the ground coming against Big 12 competition.
Well I hope they have birth control though knowing you no probably isn’t in your limited vocabulary.

Gus says UCF is a place where you can win a national championship. You can either choose to believe him or choose to doubt. As for me, I choose to believe on Christmas. If didn't believe, I wouldn't here. Not sorry if that offends anyone.

Furthermore, you have to shed this baggage of being a second-tier program. It is a new day. (I am not saying forget where you came from; I am saying focus on where you are headed.) UCF has arrived. UCF is the only two-time undefeated school not to make the CFP since its inception (non-COVID).

You cannot tell me that Oregon State can get D.J. Ulagalelei, but UCF cannot get whoever the h*ll Gus wants--provided he wants anybody at all. I have not heard so much as a peep from UCF about pursuing a transfer quarterback in this cycle. But it needs to IMO.

Like Haynes King, Spencer Sanders is NOT the Savior of UCF football. Just another option for a team with a starting quarterback, who averaged two quarters of play over the final six games of the season.
It’s all based on situation. Oregon State is a junk program that just won 10 games for the 3rd time in 100 years….100. DJ went there because there is no other option and he is guaranteeing himself to be the starter. Their QB position last year produced like 2500 yds passing with 16 TDs against 13 INTs.

Few would be willing to transfer anywhere knowing a returning starter is coming back, unless the guy is way better than what was there last year. Guys also know Gus likes a running QB. Not a lot of guys trying to cement their stats for a potential pro career are going to want to come here for 1 season. We need to find and develop QBs.

Our QB position (just Plumlee and Keene) produced:
257/395 (65%); 3051 yds; 20 TD; 8 Int; 827 yds rushing and 12 TDs; 1 receiving TD. That’s 33 TDs against 12 turnovers.

Who out there in the portal is a big level-up on that? You hope Plumlee gets better in year 2 as well (along with his WRs, etc…). I have my reservations about his ability to stay healthy just like everyone else.

For example Hartman was:
3700 yds at 63% with 38 TDs against 12 INTs; He had 129 yds rushing with 1 TD. He totaled 39 TDs against 15 turnovers.

That’s only marginally better. You also can’t keep thinking bringing in some new guy is going to automatically make things better, especially if they have only one year. We’re just going to have to be patient as fans and hope players develop. Now in 2024 it’s wide open. I would totally be trying to bring in a transfer QB, and being that we will be in the Big 12, that should be more realistic to bring someone in that will be an upgrade.

Oh yeah, forgot. We’re moving to the Big 12 and nobody knows what that is going to look like in year one. Transfer QBs aren’t likely to roll the dice on that, either. At least not in year 1.

Last edited:
Reactions: U C to the F
JRP had a really good year. If not for injuries he’d of been a 3,000+ passer and 1000+ rusher. Pretty sure everyone would have taken that beginning of the year. Some of you are just butt hurt that MK didn’t play for whatever reason, but it was clear JRP fit the offense better. The rest probably need to look at the coaches play calling and/or the OL inconsistent play. Every qb misses some throws, hating JRP when he gave 1000% effort is ridiculous.
I believe JRP will improve. I've said before somewhere, that JRP did better than I anticipated. ... . I believe he'll want to come out and really put the nail in the coffin on the belief that he is just a runner and can't throw. With a bit more accuracy and fewer ints, we have a phenom on our hands. I'm looking forward to it.
JRP played his best against porous rush defenses. He threw dimes at times, and he looked foolish at times. I do appreciate his effort.

I did not like the offense flowing through him. I preferred watching Keene involve all the other playmakers. I also didn't like watching JRP sitting out the second half of most games in the latter part of the season.

I held out hope that UCF would pursue another option at QB due to JRP's inability to finish out games. The one-trick pony offense didn't work in the waning moments of the Louisville game.

For those keeping score, JRP's next fourth quarter game-winning drive will be his first as a collegiate.

EDIT: To those who need help reading between the lines... JRP will have to learn to win games in the Big12 when UCF cannot simply out-athlete opponents, to play from the pocket when the need arises, and to read defenses and make pre-snap adjustments to get UCF in better positions to be successful. That is a lot to ask of an outfielder.

Last edited:
Still say if JRP focus ain't on football he won't be starting QB. You've got TC who spent whole season learning along with some game experience and then McLain who spent the season learning the offense

Still say if JRP focus ain't on football he won't be starting QB. You've got TC who spent whole season learning along with some game experience and then McLain who spent the season learning the offense
JRP is all heart, but not polished at passing and reading the secondary. Let's see how spring football works with baseball Taking time away from his progress. My bet is on Timmy as it was reported He looked good running the scout team.

I wonder who the bigger tard is

Shark whose been here 10 years and has yet to be right on anything

Or the inbred from barn who wants to **** Gus
Actually it is you moronic idiot.....go back to your inbred usf friends and leave football discussions to those with 3 digit IQs.

Honest.....was TC prepared to play against Tulane after a whole season of learning? A couple of guys on this board can go 2-8 for 10 yards.

If JP wins the Game 1 starting gig, do you really think McClain will be here on game day #2?

We really need another option......

Reactions: AuburnLegacy_1
We can complain about QB play all day and night but next year, we are playing B12 defenses. If we don't have an OL that can handle a B12 defense, then next season isn't going to be pretty and we will need a QB that can run fast. Statistically, the bigger the OL the more points we scores. So yes, statistically, size does matter in this case. https://www.footballstudyhall.com/2...football-size-averages-weight-girth-mass-beef

Do I think Timmy will be here if he isn't the starter? I think he will because we have seen Johnny get hurt. I think we may actually see a QB battle as Timmy and Johnny are both ideal QBs for Gus. MK wasn't a contender because he didn't fit the play style of the team Gus is building.

JRP is all heart, but not polished at passing and reading the secondary. Let's see how spring football works with baseball Taking time away from his progress. My bet is on Timmy as it was reported He looked good running the scout team.
If JRP is doing baseball he won't be participating in spring football. Which will nullify any chance of him progressing as a QB. The others will catch up and pass him

Reactions: knight_tracker
could be wrong but have a feeling Timmy may be the best choice . Will be a RS Sophomore who is motivated and working his tail off

JRP could win tomorrow but still don’t feel good if he is QB1 vs Big 12 competition. Especially as a part time player who will shift attention to baseball

JRP played his best against porous rush defenses. He threw dimes at times, and he looked foolish at times. I do appreciate his effort.

I did not like the offense flowing through him. I preferred watching Keene involve all the other playmakers. I also didn't like watching JRP sitting out the second half of most games in the latter part of the season.

I held out hope that UCF would pursue another option at QB due to JRP's inability to finish out games. The one-trick pony offense didn't work in the waning moments of the Louisville game.

For those keeping score, JRP's next fourth quarter game-winning drive will be his first as a collegiate.

EDIT: To those who need help reading between the lines... JRP will have to learn to win games in the Big12 when UCF cannot simply out-athlete opponents, to play from the pocket when the need arises, and to read defenses and make pre-snap adjustments to get UCF in better positions to be successful. That is a lot to ask of an outfielder.
I was a big proponent of Keene heading into this past year. I still think he has a lot of untapped potential and I believe Fres will be the beneficiary as he will walk in there with humble confidence knowing he can win. I think all the kid is missing is size. If he can add a bit more arm strength I think he can be flat-out deadly.

That being said, he's gone. And JRP gives us our best shot at winning now unless there's a QB transfer we don't know of yet, or Rizk is the second coming of KZ. I did not like what I saw out of TC in the CCG. Very young, a tough spot to come in on, but it did not go well. The physical tools are there without question, but he looked intimidated to me, a professional armchair QB. Like I said, tough spot but the game looked too big for him. I hope he develops mentally because he's a physical freak.

Regarding the Big12, I believe we have the skill positions covered on offense, and we can line up athlete to athlete with nearly anyone in CFB, but we're lacking in the trenches. We haven't had a great O-line since '18. They flashed this season but were not good overall and we're losing some good ones. I love the transfers we're getting but that is where we'll be exposed first. JRP and Keene both had their times running around the pocket trying to evade, especially from the left side. Again, that speaks to JRP being the best chance to win today, he's a legitimate threat to take it to the house on ANY play.

Beyond that biggest needs are off the field, with an OC and QB coach. As much as we need players, they're nothing without coaches. We need to hit home runs here.

We only used 3 guys this year. Would have been 2 if they weren’t trying to save redshirts. The expert Cabana Clown thinks we are real desirable and JRP isn’t going to be the starter. Yet here we are and JRP will start.
I have no idea what you’re even talking about, but by resorting to name-calling, you’ve completely proven my point.

You have said multiple times - in this thread and others - that Plumlee is “guaranteed” to start next year. I called you out on the foolishness because you are confused. Just because something happened once (Plumlee beat out Keene), you are assuming something will always happen. Next year is completely different. With McClain and an older/stronger TC, yes it will be a competition. And no, no one is “guaranteed” anything. Why would McClain transfer here again? Why is TC still here again? To compete, otherwise Gus (or any other coach in any other sport in history) would lose his own locker room.

Plumlee is not guaranteed anything, you are wrong.

I have no idea what you’re even talking about, but by resorting to name-calling, you’ve completely proven my point.

You have said multiple times - in this thread and others - that Plumlee is “guaranteed” to start next year. I called you out on the foolishness because you are confused. Just because something happened once (Plumlee beat out Keene), you are assuming something will always happen. Next year is completely different. With McClain and an older/stronger TC, yes it will be a competition. And no, no one is “guaranteed” anything. Why would McClain transfer here again? Why is TC still here again? To compete, otherwise Gus (or any other coach in any other sport in history) would lose his own locker room.

Plumlee is not guaranteed anything, you are wrong.
Ok Bubba Gump. You can’t see writing on wall.

Part of me wonders if Gus is allowing JRP to play baseball because he knows he won't be the starter next year. Wouldn't be surprised if they already had that conversation.

Part of me wonders if Gus is allowing JRP to play baseball because he knows he won't be the starter next year. Wouldn't be surprised if they already had that conversation.
He told him when he was thinking of coming here he could play both. We got lucky he wasn’t allowed to play so he could be at Spring Practice. He’s allowed to play this year and will be starting hitting and throwing when he gets back to Orlando.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT