ADVERTISEMENT

OT: FSU Season Tix Sales continue to fall to only 24,000 this yr. Noles need H-H w/ UCF

Knight_Light

GOL's Inner Circle
Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Ouch!!

FSU has sold only 24,000 season tix for this season, which is only about half what they had 5 years ago. FSU sold only 32,000 season tix last year...and just the drop this year from last will mean a loss of $8.5 Million in ticket revenue for FSU.

Sure seems like FSU could benefit from a home-home deal with UCF (especially in odd years they don't host UF).

How many days will it take for FSU's new AD to finally return DW's calls for a home-home series? (Now this is when Bianchi should be shouting from the rooftop...let alone at UF is hosting not one but TWO Div I-AA Home Games for the 2nd straight season).

NOTE: DYK that the main reason why SEC Schools finally approved alcohol sales in general seating in on-campus stadiums was because of the tens of thousands of no-shows and/or unsold tix to mostly joke games vs Div I-AA and other bottom feeders that dominate most SEC Schools home non-conf schedules. SEC hopes booze sales will get more folks to show up to these games and spend $$.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...ate-seminoles-mike-martin-taggart/1300241001/

From the above article:

FSU has sold 24,000 season tickets for the upcoming season. After selling out its allotment (45,000 season tickets in the main seating bowl) in 2014 following the program's third national title, FSU’s season ticket sales have continued to fall. Last year’s mark totaled 32,194, not including an additional 6500 premium seats sold in the Dunlap Champions Club and stadium suites.

FSU's projected athletic department operating revenue is projected to see a significant drop for the 2019-20 fiscal year. That's due, in large part, to a significant decrease in ticket sales for football. FSU is expected to bring in just under $15 million after bringing in almost $23.5 million last year.

Here is FSU's exciting home schedule this season:

Non-Conf:
LOUISIANA-MONROE
Div I-AA Alabama State

Conf:
LOUISVILLE
NC STATE
SYRACUSE
MIAMI

FSU's AD's years ago knew what their conf schedule would be (ACC has posted their conf game schedules YEARS in advance) in that they knew they wouldn't host Clemson and FSU knew this "odd" year they wouldn't host UF either...FSU is foolish to not sign a home-home deal with UCF for season's like this.

From the above article:

FSU has sold 24,000 season tickets for the upcoming season. After selling out its allotment (45,000 season tickets in the main seating bowl) in 2014 following the program's third national title, FSU’s season ticket sales have continued to fall. Last year’s mark totaled 32,194, not including an additional 6500 premium seats sold in the Dunlap Champions Club and stadium suites.

FSU's projected athletic department operating revenue is projected to see a significant drop for the 2019-20 fiscal year. That's due, in large part, to a significant decrease in ticket sales for football. FSU is expected to bring in just under $15 million after bringing in almost $23.5 million last year.

Here is FSU's exciting home schedule this season:

Non-Conf:
LOUISIANA-MONROE
Div I-AA Alabama State

Conf:
LOUISVILLE
NC STATE
SYRACUSE
MIAMI

FSU's AD's years ago knew what their conf schedule would be (ACC has posted their conf game schedules YEARS in advance) in that they knew they wouldn't host Clemson and FSU knew this "odd" year they wouldn't host UF either...FSU is foolish to not sign a home-home deal with UCF for season's like this.

I love the sentiment, but they’re not foolish. They believe they can get a school like Memphis or USF for a 2-1 so why bring in a high risk for an L to a deal that’s worse than USF would accept? Ticket sales are peanuts compared to the money they bring in from ESPN

Reactions: MckenzieMilton10
I love the sentiment, but they’re not foolish. They believe they can get a school like Memphis or USF for a 2-1 so why bring in a high risk for an L to a deal that’s worse than USF would accept? Ticket sales are peanuts compared to the money they bring in from ESPN

FSU lost $8.5 Million in lost ticket revenue in just one season and the previous year they lost over $10 Million.

You can't continue to lose $18.5 Million every 2 years and not have it impact th bottom line (i.e. venue upgrades, higher coaching salaries, coaching buyouts, etc ..).

FSU will never challenge Clemson or the top teams in SEC if they continue to lose that many $$$.

It’s a very complicated financial situation, because they HAVE TO come to UCF for a 1 and 1. Their away game will cost money. They will lose a home game. That for a possible loss to a G5 school

However, If any of the “Big 3” want to fill their stadium and make money, schedule UCF. They will not have to pay the $400,000 either

So.., what’s the advantage in scheduling UCF? It’s complicated

FSU lost $8.5 Million in lost ticket revenue in just one season and the previous year they lost over $10 Million.

You can't continue to lose $18.5 Million every 2 years and not have it impact th bottom line (i.e. venue upgrades, higher coaching salaries, coaching buyouts, etc ..).

FSU will never challenge Clemson or the top teams in SEC if they continue to lose that many $$$.

Agreed, but to an FSU fan (right or wrong) scheduling us is worse than scheduling Colorado or ole miss. They view us as equal to USF, and if they can get a 2-1 fro one of our peers, why would they schedule a 1-1 with us as opposed to ole miss or Nebraska or even Iowa. I’m hoping DW can pull in some 1-1’s but I just don’t see how he’s going to pull it off.

Also a tough argument to say that UCF on the schedule will recoup those season ticket sales over other programs. Their home schedule sucks, but there are several programs that the moles would like to play against.

I don't think FSU's inability to schedule 1-1 with other prominent programs is an issue. They have Georgia and Notre Dame visiting in the future, it's not like teams are turning them down.

The drop-off in revenue has more to do with comparing following a National Championship season with a first time with a losing record in like 30 years.

Also I don't understand the correlation about FSU not being able to compete because they are losing money. If FSU doesn't have enough money to compete, then UCF is never going to have enough money because even having FSU money is still a long ways away.

there are several issues

1. A lot of FSU fans do not believe in Taggart & fans in the State of Florida at all schools(UCF included) are way more fair-weather than the rest of the South.
2. Tallahassee is geographically isolated and a pain in the ass to get to(4 hours from everywhere) & hotels go insane on rates with 2 nights minimum.
3. Consumers are getting less patient(or smarter). They don't see the upside in sitting in 100 degree heat index to watch Louisiana Monroe or Northern Illinois. FSU fans are not Nebraska fans that will sit through anything and watch bad football.

It’s a very complicated financial situation, because they HAVE TO come to UCF for a 1 and 1. Their away game will cost money. They will lose a home game. That for a possible loss to a G5 school

FSU is playing a game next season at a G5 school that has a 36,000 seat stadium located in the middle of nowhere, i.e. not in any recruiting area for FSU: Boise State.

FSU is playing a game next season at a G5 school that has a 36,000 seat stadium located in the middle of nowhere, i.e. not in any recruiting area for FSU: Boise State.
Good argument then for a UCF 1 and 1 series. We will help fill FSU’s stadium more than Boise would.

Is the Boise series a 1 and 1?

I don't think FSU's inability to schedule 1-1 with other prominent programs is an issue. They have Georgia and Notre Dame visiting in the future, it's not like teams are turning them down.

FSU did not schedule that game as all ND games with their affiliate ACC are controlled by the conf as ND is on a rotation schedule with ALL ACC teams.

Reactions: ahabmw
And I thought the Willie bus that rolled into to FSU was a good thing? :sunglasses: This season could be interesting for FSU.

Reactions: firm_bizzle
Ouch!!

FSU has sold only 24,000 season tix for this season, which is only about half what they had 5 years ago. FSU sold only 32,000 season tix last year...and just the drop this year from last will mean a loss of $8.5 Million in ticket revenue for FSU.

Sure seems like FSU could benefit from a home-home deal with UCF (especially in odd years they don't host UF).

How many days will it take for FSU's new AD to finally return DW's calls for a home-home series? (Now this is when Bianchi should be shouting from the rooftop...let alone at UF is hosting not one but TWO Div I-AA Home Games for the 2nd straight season).

NOTE: DYK that the main reason why SEC Schools finally approved alcohol sales in general seating in on-campus stadiums was because of the tens of thousands of no-shows and/or unsold tix to mostly joke games vs Div I-AA and other bottom feeders that dominate most SEC Schools home non-conf schedules. SEC hopes booze sales will get more folks to show up to these games and spend $$.

https://www.tallahassee.com/story/s...ate-seminoles-mike-martin-taggart/1300241001/
Pathetic, 3 national Championships, all those seasons of 10 plus wins and national rankings. Don’t they have more pride than that for their program.
FSU is storied program.

Why are fans bailing on Taggart after one season? Jimbo brought in lots of bad apples towards the end and left Taggart to clean it up.

Pathetic, 3 national Championships, all those seasons of 10 plus wins and national rankings. Don’t they have more pride than that for their program.
FSU is storied program.

Why are fans bailing on Taggart after one season? Jimbo brought in lots of bad apples towards the end and left Taggart to clean it up.

Taggart is unproven and each program he’s left has been glad to see him leave. After a few bad seasons they have become indifferent. Our fans could become indifferent much more quickly if we were to downturn.

Reactions: Knight Strength
FSU is storied program.

FSU has always been a bandwagon program that benefitted from being in the state of Florida, in the middle of SEC country but not having to play SEC schools. They never had the "hatred" from those other SEC programs because they were enemies of Florida, Georgia Tech and Clemson which endeared them to nearly all of the SEC (especially when Spurrier was embarrassing them in the 90's). They've essentially had "byes" to the national championship games by virtue of beating either a downtrodden Miami program or a Florida program in the midst of coaching changes. They had cool uniforms, a charming head coach and chant that was the same as the Braves (everybody in the south loves) which made them easy to cheer for as a secondary team. However, even with all of that winning, their fan base doesn't extend 50-100 years back into history and you are seeing the results of that now.

Taggart is unproven and each program he’s left has been glad to see him leave. After a few bad seasons they have become indifferent. Our fans could become indifferent much more quickly if we were to downturn.

I agree Taggart is unproven, at least at that level, but I would disagree schools wanted him gone. The year before he got the HC job at WKU they were 0-12. He had them at 7 wins in his 3rd year. When he got to USF they were 3-9 the previous year. In only 4 years he had them at 8-5 and 10-2 in his last 2 years. I can't possibly see why schools who had those types of quick turnarounds would want him gone. But, FSU is a different thing and he wasn't very impressive last year, that's for sure.

I agree Taggart is unproven, at least at that level, but I would disagree schools wanted him gone. The year before he got the HC job at WKU they were 0-12. He had them at 7 wins in his 3rd year. When he got to USF they were 3-9 the previous year. In only 4 years he had them at 8-5 and 10-2 in his last 2 years. I can't possibly see why schools who had those types of quick turnarounds would want him gone. But, FSU is a different thing and he wasn't very impressive last year, that's for sure.

The turnaround at usf wasn't that quick, especially when you see how quickly UCF got off the mat after 2015. There was definitely talk at usf of firing Taggart in the fall of 2015. He had gone 2-10 in '13 and 4-8 in '14 and started 2015 with a 1-3 record in early October before Flowers really blossomed. Flowers saved his career right there and he hasn't done much without him since.

Reactions: Knight_Light
The turnaround at usf wasn't that quick, especially when you see how quickly UCF got off the mat after 2015. There was definitely talk at usf of firing Taggart in the fall of 2015. He had gone 2-10 in '13 and 4-8 in '14 and started 2015 with a 1-3 record in early October before Flowers really blossomed. Flowers saved his career right there and he hasn't done much without him since.

He took over a program that had won 5 conference games the previous three seasons, and by the time he left they were 10-2 overall and 7-1 in the conference. I guess everyone has their own definition of "quick", but they improved every year he was there. I cant possibly see why people at USF wanted him out after a 10-2 season, and if they did they their expectations of their program are simply not realistic.

Oregon also went from 4-8 prior to Taggart, to 7-5 the one season he was there. 7-5 at Oregon isn't spectacular by any stretch, we know they can be better than that. But a 3 win improvement for a program that was most certainly going the wrong direction at that time, isn't anything to sniff at, even if it was only one year.

Regardless, he was terrible at FSU last year, so it will be interesting to see if he can get it worked out. I do think he is a better coach than what FSU showed last year.

Season ticket sales seem to be a problem a lot of programs are dealing with, and I think will continue to deal with unless they get creative. Tennessee is offering a cheaper season ticket for the upper levels, which they have never done, Missouri is cutting prices, Ohio State is offering partial season ticket plans for the first time, etc etc. Nick Saban was complaining last year about not as many students attending games (which is different than season tickets, but still shows attendance concerns) It is much easier, cost efficient, and a lot of times just as entertaining to watch games on a TV at a bar or with friends as it is to attend games, especially if the seat at the game isn't a good seat.

He took over a program that had won 5 conference games the previous three seasons, and by the time he left they were 10-2 overall and 7-1 in the conference. I guess everyone has their own definition of "quick", but they improved every year he was there. I cant possibly see why people at USF wanted him out after a 10-2 season, and if they did they their expectations of their program are simply not realistic.

Oregon also went from 4-8 prior to Taggart, to 7-5 the one season he was there. 7-5 at Oregon isn't spectacular by any stretch, we know they can be better than that. But a 3 win improvement for a program that was most certainly going the wrong direction at that time, isn't anything to sniff at, even if it was only one year.

Regardless, he was terrible at FSU last year, so it will be interesting to see if he can get it worked out. I do think he is a better coach than what FSU showed last year.

They just gotta "Do Something".

Florida has always been a bandwagon state.

Fixed.

Every sporting team both college and pro in Florida deals with loss of support. 2014 attendance peaked the first game of the year against Bethune Cookman then dropped to 31k in the final home game of the season. Only 26k showed up for St. Pete Bowl against a NC State and it was a 9-4 season.

Fixed.

Every sporting team both college and pro in Florida deals with loss of support. 2014 attendance peaked the first game of the year against Bethune Cookman then dropped to 31k in the final home game of the season. Only 26k showed up for St. Pete Bowl against a NC State and it was a 9-4 season.

Agree. The Florida Gators have a consistent following. However, even they had trouble with ticket sales during McIlwain's last 2 years. I believe the TB lighting are the only other team in the state with a following.

Agree. The Florida Gators have a consistent following. However, even they had trouble with ticket sales during McIlwain's last 2 years. I believe the TB lighting are the only other team in the state with a following.

Lightning has had top tier talent for the last 20 years now and provide an exciting product. This year the absolute worst case scenario happened. The best team all season by a long shot and get bounced out of the playoffs extremely quick and with no fight. This was also not the first season they were the favorites. I'm not sure how the fan base will respond. Anything less than a Stanley Cup is a failure.

Virtually no one is emotionally attached to a sporting franchise in the state because still most people are transplants. The reason college programs and pro sports in others states have the following they have is because the fandom runs 3+ generations deep. If you grow up having your grandfather tell you stories of historic games they attended and then going with them that really makes a difference.

At USF Taggart was probably a game or two away from being canned. He was saved by Quentin Flowers. He got the hell out of dodge while things were hot.

At USF Taggart was probably a game or two away from being canned. He was saved by Quentin Flowers. He got the hell out of dodge while things were hot.

He got out of dodge to go to a major program that was almost doubling his salary. You honestly think they were going to fire him after improving for 4 straight years and coming off a 10-2 season?

You are the 2nd person to say Flowers saved him. Flowers was a below average passer who could run, but let's not act like he lucked out and had Peyton Manning sitting on the bench the whole time. But besides that, isn't that part of being a good coach? Recruiting and/or developing good players? I don't understand how saying a QB played well, is somehow supposed to be a knock on the HC. Especially when that HC was also a running QB back in his day and a former QB coach. I would imagine he was pretty heavily involved with Flowers and his development. It's just kind of strange rationale to knock a coach because his QB played well under him.

Last edited:
Taggart's main asset on his resume was Recruiting and he has underachieved in that department. FSU fans were used to Jimbo classes where he only trailed Saban or Urban. I think many are realizing that it might have been Mario Cristobal under him that was the true elite recruiter(see the talent he is getting at Oregon).

And the other reason is that the team couldn't even do simple things like have the right amount of players on special teams late into the season. Tons of penalties as well where they rarely saw glimpses of clean Football. Just go ask Oregon fans, their only concern with Cristobal is if he is too much of a dinosaur when it comes to offensive playcalling/philosophy but from an organization standpoint they view it as an upgrade that Taggart left them.

He got out of dodge to go to a major program that was almost doubling his salary. You honestly think they were going to fire him after improving for 4 straight years and coming off a 10-2 season?

You are the 2nd person to say Flowers saved him. Flowers was a below average passer who could run, but let's not act like he lucked out and had Peyton Manning sitting on the bench the whole time. But besides that, isn't that part of being a good coach? Recruiting and/or developing good players? I don't understand how saying a QB played well, is somehow supposed to be a knock on the HC. Especially when that HC was also a running QB back in his day and a former QB coach. I would imagine he was pretty heavily involved with Flowers and his development. It's just kind of strange rationale to knock a coach because his QB played well under him.

I heard that Flowers stopped running the coaches' BS plays and told his receivers to just get open. Then when Strong Charlie got there, Flowers told him "You handle defense and I'll run the offense". Strong Charlie, knowing nothing about offense, complied.

Taggart's main asset on his resume was Recruiting and he has underachieved in that department. FSU fans were used to Jimbo classes where he only trailed Saban or Urban. I think many are realizing that it might have been Mario Cristobal under him that was the true elite recruiter(see the talent he is getting at Oregon).

And the other reason is that the team couldn't even do simple things like have the right amount of players on special teams late into the season. Tons of penalties as well where they rarely saw glimpses of clean Football. Just go ask Oregon fans, their only concern with Cristobal is if he is too much of a dinosaur when it comes to offensive playcalling/philosophy but from an organization standpoint they view it as an upgrade that Taggart left them.

Keep in mind though that FSU was only 5-6 in Jimbo's last year. So both Oregon and FSU were/are rebuilding jobs. They were certainly awful last year and he needs to get it turned around pretty quickly, but he didn't take over an FSU or Oregon squad that were competing for national titles.

I heard that Flowers stopped running the coaches' BS plays and told his receivers to just get open. Then when Strong Charlie got there, Flowers told him "You handle defense and I'll run the offense". Strong Charlie, knowing nothing about offense, complied.

Yeah I am going to call BS on what you heard, no offense, but I would rather look at actual results more so than gossip. Plus, his #s (both passing and rushing) were better under Taggart than they were his SR year under Strong, so if what you say is true, than maybe Taggart deserves even more credit. Regardless, he was a pretty similar player to what Taggart was back in his day, so I think it is pretty naïve to think Taggart was somehow holding him back.

Last edited:
Yeah I am going to call BS on what you heard, no offense. Plus, his #s (both pasing and rushing) were better his JR year under Taggart than they were his SR year under strong. Regardless, he was a pretty similar player to what Taggart was back in his day, so I think it is pretty naïve to think Taggart was somehow holding him back.
it's not bs. It was confirmed by USF people with legit sources that Flowers and Shaun King stopped listening to their OC Gilbert during the 2017 USF at UCF game.

it's not bs. It was confirmed by USF people with legit sources that Flowers and Shaun King stopped listening to their OC Gilbert during the 2017 USF at UCF game.

Taggart was at Oregon in 2017, so that wouldn't have anything to do with him.

He is the best used car salesman there is. Yes he was on the hot seat at 8-5. There was a fair amount of complaining that USF was under performing. When QF came into his own in 2016 is when they started winning. Guess we will have to see if he is exposed at FSU. He has every advantage there.

He is the best used car salesman there is. Yes he was on the hot seat at 8-5. There was a fair amount of complaining that USF was under performing. When QF came into his own in 2016 is when they started winning.

This is still a weird criticism. When a QB came into his own, they started winning? Yeah, teams with good QBs tend to win games. I am still unsure how this is supposedly somehow a knock on Taggart, or any coach, that their QB played well. USF wasn't good before he got there, and in the 2 years since he left they have gone back to being right about .500. So again, if he was on the hot seat than the USF brass are simply delusional.

And most college coaches are used car salesman, but if the car salesman improves his lot 4 straight years, that should result in being fired?

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT