ADVERTISEMENT

OT: SMU is imploding against Louisiana Tech

SMU please leave the conference immediately. Down 28-3 and their defense has allowed like 50 yards.

hey 'let the new coaching staff coach the bowl' crowd*

They had no choice, their outgoing HC took the interim coach and screwed the program leaving the new HC only 8 days to figure something out. 8 days is just a little different than a month.

Meh.., Frost gives us the best chance to win.
I don’t like it and I’m not sure ALL the kids do, but he has us by the balls until January 1st at 4:00 P.M. or so. In reality, it gave Heupel and his small new staff time to recruit.

Reactions: LemmyKilmister
lmao they are completely unprepared for this game. this might be record time for a team to implode in a game

Yeah SMU is embarrassing the AAC. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the conference bowl season. If Temple loses to FIU we might not be as good as we think as we did struggle against this same SMU team.

Yeah SMU is embarrassing the AAC. Doesn't bode well for the rest of the conference bowl season. If Temple loses to FIU we might not be as good as we think as we did struggle against this same SMU team.

their coach left them and the new coach is calling this bowl, putting that together in a short amount of time is a recipe for disaster

not the same SMU team that played UCF and was still in play for the West Division

Any team that turns it over 5 times in a half will look similar. SMU isn’t this bad. Temple FIU means nothing to us as we destroyed both teams.

Weren't the SMU players in open revolt against hiring Sonny Dykes? Brand new coach that the players don't like and 8 days to prepare. A recipe for disaster.

We blew out both Temple and FIU so that game tells us nothing either way.

I'll be more concerned if Navy, Memphis, and USF struggle since they kept their staff and were tough to beat.

Reactions: UCFhonors
We didn't destroy SMU... was a pretty close game.
I didn’t say we destroyed SMU. We destroyed FIU and Temple. SMU coach has been there 9 days. Probably doesn’t know all the players names even. Their entire offensive staff left for Arkansas and they have a graduate assistant calling plays.

Spooky parallel? We too, lost the entire Staff, but ours came back. I hope not, SMU looked atrocious.

yep this is why the UCF fanbase needs to lay off Frost. He's getting the criticism from both sides(NU and UCF fans) but him deciding to coach this game gives UCF the best chance at 13-0 which long term would be a very big deal for this Program. Any confusion on play calls leads to turnovers like we saw with the SMU QB

This is why anyone who suggested that you can play a game without coaches was a foolish idea. SMU had the bare minimum coaching offensively with only a few days of practice.

If Frost and company didn’t decide to coach this game we were looking at a remote possibility of a forfeit which I think may happen to a team in the future.

The NCAA must come up with a solution to this problem. That Bowl game was ruined.

This is why anyone who suggested that you can play a game without coaches was a foolish idea. SMU had the bare minimum coaching offensively with only a few days of practice.

If Frost and company didn’t decide to coach this game we were looking at a remote possibility of a forfeit which I think may happen to a team in the future.

The NCAA must come up with a solution to this problem. That Bowl game was ruined.
I think it's an easy fix:
1) Staffs sign contracts that state if they leave by their own volition, they still have to coach any Bowl game for that season. What Frost and staff are doing is exactly how it should work for every school.
2) In the case where staff members get terminated, each level of staff has different clauses that dictate their participation in any Bowl Game. For example, if Head coach gets sh_t-canned, then the school and current staff work out who becomes Interim coach for the Bowl game, and then negotiate pay accordingly. For example, if just a single coach like a DB Coach gets terminated, then the current staff just decides internally how those duties will be shared, and pay gets negotiated. This shouldn't be wildly hard to figure out a basic hierarchy of how this would work.
3) There is a solid Dead period for recruiting from the day after Conference Championship weekend until after the National Championship is played. Based on this, any coach can focus on getting his new staff together during this Dead period, and would have no recruiting to focus on, so no issues. There is also then no conflicts in coming back and coaching your old team.
4) National signing day becomes March 2nd. No impact to anything because new staffs then have the extra time in February to recruit.
5) Early signing day could still exist as currently implemented but the only activity allowed is kids sending in LOI.

My extra 2 cents thrown in:
6) All teams should have the same amount of practice time allowed in December, regardless of whether you are in a Bowl or not. I have never understood why the NCAA thinks it is a good thing to reward teams that earned a Bowl game with additional practices, and then the teams that really suck (and need it) don't get to practice at all. Wouldn't you want those teams to practice more???? Those teams can practice for the sake of practicing, rather than practicing and preparing for a game.

They had no choice, their outgoing HC took the interim coach and screwed the program leaving the new HC only 8 days to figure something out. 8 days is just a little different than a month.

SMU was stuck with a Grad Assistant calling plays as an Offensive Coordinator last night.

Outcome: It's not as easy as it seems.

That could have easily been UCF if UCF didn't land in a NY6 Bowl Game.

You guys are overlooking a perfect LOL@DUH*BULLS moment...As Skip Holtz hoist another bowl game trophy over his head, duh bulls are still paying him....

Keep Track of the Days Until Financial Flexibility With the Skip Holtz Countdown Calendar
https://www.thedailystampede.com/20...bility-with-the-skip-holtz-countdown-calendar
2 moments yesterday. There was also the kid who announced he was signing with South Florida but actually meant South Carolina. :joy:

Reactions: knight_tracker
That game was like the movie Groundhog day. Early in the game every time they threw the ball it was a pick 6. I wasn't sure if they were showing a replay or if it happened again. :sunglasses:

Grad Assistant calling plays...yeesh.

To be fair though, I don't know if Nick Saban can coach his way out of 5 turnovers in the first half. Those turnovers are on the players.
Disagree. Without the proper coaching, practicing and playcalling everything else is thrown off.
Including the players’ confidence

Reactions: MotorBoater
So if the coaching staff leaves, players suddenly can't control turning the ball over just 8 days later? 10 to 12 years of playing football and learning to hold onto the ball are instantaneously lost because the coach left? There confidence isn't lost. That's borderline disrespectful to the players to think their individual confidence level is predicated on their coaches.

They turned the ball over way too much just a week after the coach left. That's on them.

So if the coaching staff leaves, players suddenly can't control turning the ball over just 8 days later? 10 to 12 years of playing football and learning to hold onto the ball are instantaneously lost because the coach left? There confidence isn't lost. That's borderline disrespectful to the players to think their individual confidence level is predicated on their coaches.

They turned the ball over way too much just a week after the coach left. That's on them.
Its called not being in it. A QB can go from Tom Brady to Ryan Leaf if his mind isnt in the game. You could see Ben Hicks didnt want to be there. Its the same for anyone else. Players have a hard time finding motivation when their coach just left them a week prior. These are 18-22 year olds after all, they dont all know how to handle things like this, especially when a decent amount of these kids came from bad backgrounds.

When your leader leaves, its hard to A. Find motivation and B. want to even play. We are lucky we have had almost a month and frost is still our coach technically. Had we played this game last week vs Auburn? We wouldve been absolutely skull fuc*ed.

Likewise, had SMU either had their coach or at least had him on the sidelines, the outcome of that game very well couldve been VERY different.

Reactions: Mikesi
I'm just not buying these kids are so emotional and mentally weak that they just crumbled because their coach left. Now, if it was a matter of being outschemed, out coached, unprepared, sure. Makes sense.

But to say they don't care, don't want to be there and are emotionally out of it because the coaches left is underestimating the players. They made mistakes. It's on them. But I don't think these turnovers are the result of anything more than what all their other turnovers were the rest of the year.

It's NOT hard to get raddled when major changes come which is why every school in a bowl game should have this sort of situation below when HC is leaving:

DRlJcPEUIAEG3uR.jpg

It's NOT hard to get raddled when major changes come which is why every school in a bowl game should have this sort of situation below when HC is leaving:

DRlJcPEUIAEG3uR.jpg
Why is Frost making a fist? Is he tense or is he going to sucker punch Heupel?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT