ADVERTISEMENT

Otis back to RB

Maybe they are saving AK's energy for punt returns and/or kick returns. I always thought you should have someone with fresh legs to do that job. (unless you are Joe Burnett and/or Mike Hughes)

This was in the dungeon a long time ago but I think this is the first time I've seen it since then. McCrae and Otis with be RB1a and RB1b. I expect this will make our run game a little more consistent. Expect to see a little different role for AK. Maybe slot. How do you guys feel about the moves?

Smart move imo. We need to get the ball to AK with some space and he is gone. Otis will pick up an extra 2-3 yds after contact. AK is one tough guy but that does not negate the laws of physics.

I just want to say that I have a ton of respect for all three of those guys, AK, Otis and McCrae. They all possess speed, agility, strength and toughness. I have every confidence that JH will successfully determine how to apply their talents.
He clearly didn’t last year at times

This is what our RB coach recently had to say..........

What kind of camp has Otis Anderson had?

"Otis has been unbelievable. Last year, spent a lot of time in the slot room and with the running backs. He's gotten that much better playing receiver, being that was really his first year of us asking him to do, really like, understand our entire offense. There's probably not a smarter guy on our offense. He knows what everybody's doing. He can tell you who the quarterback reads are. He can draw up things on what's going on up front with the with the o-line. He understands every concept of the pass game. Otis had a really good summer. He had a really good spring. I'm excited to see him."

Otis and McCrae are just going to be killer together. Both are excellent receivers too.
Hopefully, Otis will be content now.

IMO we should have made the switch with AK and Otis midway through last year. AK needs to be in open space. He’s just too small to run regularly up the middle

AK’s grab against cinncini
Otis and McCrae are just going to be killer together. Both are excellent receivers too.
Hopefully, Otis will be content now.

IMO we should have made the switch with AK and Otis midway through last year. AK needs to be in open space. He’s just too small to run regularly up the middle
run option with Wimbush and AK....

Otis and McCrae are just going to be killer together. Both are excellent receivers too. Hopefully, Otis will be content now.
There is a place for Bentavious correct? Is he the bruiser?

How do you see Bentavious Thompson's role?

"Bentavious' role should increase with Taj (McGowan) leaving from last year. I'd like for Ben to get more involved in what we're doing. That's why we're pushing him every day to get better. He's another guy that has put on a lot of good weight. Had a great summer. Again, second year in the program. He kind of understands what our expectation is. Everybody's way more familiar with the offense. We're able to add and build off that and Ben's a big part of that."

:fistbump:

How do you see Bentavious Thompson's role?

"Bentavious' role should increase with Taj (McGowan) leaving from last year. I'd like for Ben to get more involved in what we're doing. That's why we're pushing him every day to get better. He's another guy that has put on a lot of good weight. Had a great summer. Again, second year in the program. He kind of understands what our expectation is. Everybody's way more familiar with the offense. We're able to add and build off that and Ben's a big part of that."

:fistbump:
Correct

He’s the new Taj

Good.
AK being run up the middle incessantly last season was super frustrating. I’m sure there was good reason for it from a team success standpoint, but it seemed like such a square peg in a round hole concept.

Always a reason...as you want the LB's and safety to bit on run action...which will eventually open up space downfield.

One play like that is when AK was in the backfield in the Cinci game...on AK's first TD reception, LB crawled up close to the line of scrimmage but AK flared out and easily blew by him for a TD catch from Milton.

On his 2nd TD reception in the same game...Milton faked the inside handoff to AK...who kept running up the middle and the LB bit on play action...and AK was easily able to be him in the flat and then ran 39 yds into the endzone.

If you never run AK up the middle...LB's and safety's call fall back into cover pre-snap..creating less space for UCF receivers/backs in the pattern.

Always remember....plays early in games set up OTHER plays later in the game....so there is a method to Heupel's madness.

Always a reason...as you want the LB's and safety to bit on run action...which will eventually open up space downfield.

One play like that is when AK was in the backfield in the Cinci game...on AK's first TD reception, LB crawled up close to the line of scrimmage but AK flared out and easily blew by him for a TD catch from Milton.

On his 2nd TD reception in the same game...Milton faked the inside handoff to AK...who kept running up the middle and the LB bit on play action...and AK was easily able to be him in the flat and then ran 39 yds into the endzone.

If you never run AK up the middle...LB's and safety's call fall back into cover pre-snap..creating less space for UCF receivers/backs in the pattern.

Always remember....plays early in games set up OTHER plays later in the game....so there is a method to Heupel's madness.
I don’t agree. You’re isolating 1-2 plays

There were countless wasted 1st and 2nd down runs with AK up the middle for 0-2 yards that put us in 3rd and long situations and eventually led to a 3 and out.

We could have ran the same plays with McCrae or Otis with better results. Defenses would respect a run more that was actually successful. Then, the same pass could have been completed with AK or another running back

Knowledgeable fans saw it and eventually Heupel went away with it and gave McCrae more carries

For 2019, the AK up the middle strategy will apparently be scraped, but what do fans know.

It’s not a new concept that fans sometimes see things before coaches do.

Additionally, we should have ran the ball more in the Fiesta Bowl. Go with your best player McCrae. We scraped the run and it hurt

Nobody stopped McCrae all year and either did LSU. Coaches can be so damn stubborn sometimes. Heupel was out coached and as a diehard fan, I’m not afraid to say it

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
G. McCrae 10 81 8.1 1 25
O. Anderson 3 23 7.7 0 12

Last edited:
Nobody stopped McCrae all year and either did LSU.

Was that because McCrae was "fresh" at season's end?

He had 7 carries or less in 6 out of the first 7 games.

In his last 6 games, he averaged 15 carries per game.

I just think too many "video game" players don't understand game concepts as far as setting up plays early in games so they can be exploited later in games...hence why Heupel is earning the big bucks vs what most "fans" on a message board are doing analyzing plays AFTER they happen.

With UCF's best OL in years...I hope he has another great year (same for other RB's) as McCrae's biggest thing he has to improve on is his pass catching skills (had just 8 for all of last season).

Was that because McCrae was "fresh" at season's end?

He had 7 carries or less in 6 out of the first 7 games.

In his last 6 games, he averaged 15 carries per game.

I just think too many "video game" players don't understand game concepts as far as setting up plays early in games so they can be exploited later in games...hence why Heupel is earning the big bucks vs what most "fans" on a message board are doing analyzing plays AFTER they happen.

With UCF's best OL in years...I hope he has another great year (same for other RB's) as McCrae's biggest thing he has to improve on is his pass catching skills (had just 8 for all of last season).
Then why didn’t he give the ball to Otis?? Taj?
Not sure how the fresh legs theory applies since it just about NEVER WORKED.
Even at the beginning of the season. We are talking about a 20 year old highly trained 100 and 200 meter champion who had 45 carries in the first 4 games. After watching Kevin Smith, I’m not buying that a track star was tired.

Why is he scrapping the AK strategy now?

Why is Otis now back at running back. The move to receiver was a FAILED Heupel decision that almost cost us that player.

Additionally, I don’t play video games. Coaches lose their jobs all the time. Many due to bad decisions and play calling without the help of “video game” fans who were actually calling the plays BEFORE they happened.

Are you saying that coaches DON’T make bad decisions on the field and in player personnel decisions? Need some examples?

The AK up the middle strategy simply was ineffective as noted by anyone with a pulse

It’s not rocket science to know that a 160lb running back being unsuccessful up the middle isn’t scaring anyone. The opposition defensive coordinators saw this on tape as well
That’s why it rarely EVER worked.

T
Are you saying that coaches DON’T make bad decisions on the field and in player personnel decisions? Need some examples?

Of course not....I just laugh at those that NEVER post their per play game plans PRIOR to the start of games...because they can't do it...let alone prior to every play.

Maybe spend a few mins with Heupel and ask him his offensive "philosophy" and I think you will understand it better.

It's different than Frosts (who wanted shorter passing game) while Heuple wants to spread people out and throw the ball downfield much more (even when it means a drop in pass completion percentage).

Otis averaged 14.5 yds per reception last year but this year's WR squad has much better depth...so its probably a good move to put Otis back at the RB for most plays when he is in there. (Probably will still be used some in the return game too).

Of course not....I just laugh at those that NEVER post their per play game plans PRIOR to the start of games...because they can't do it...let alone prior to every play.
I would, but I work 70-80 hours a week. However, saying that MANY FANS and other “experts” weren’t on top of this prior to games just isn’t true

Nobody can answer the simple question as why it HAD to be Killins in this role?

My theory is that Heupel probably fell in love with his highlight reel and 10.5 100 meter speed until he actually realized that he had better running backs

Reactions: JAFFX2
I don’t agree. You’re isolating 1-2 plays

There were countless wasted 1st and 2nd down runs with AK up the middle for 0-2 yards that put us in 3rd and long situations and eventually led to a 3 and out.

We could have ran the same plays with McCrae or Otis with better results. Defenses would respect a run more that was actually successful. Then, the same pass could have been completed with AK or another running back

Knowledgeable fans saw it and eventually Heupel went away with it and gave McCrae more carries

For 2019, the AK up the middle strategy will apparently be scraped, but what do fans know.

It’s not a new concept that fans sometimes see things before coaches do.

Additionally, we should have ran the ball more in the Fiesta Bowl. Go with your best player McCrae. We scraped the run and it hurt

Nobody stopped McCrae all year and either did LSU. Coaches can be so damn stubborn sometimes. Heupel was out coached and as a diehard fan, I’m not afraid to say it

CAR YDS AVG TD LONG
G. McCrae 10 81 8.1 1 25
O. Anderson 3 23 7.7 0 12
FYI, I just checked the Cincinnati and LSU games and there wasn’t a single drive with AK running the ball up the middle that ended with a third and long and then a 3 and out. The closest thing was a drive in the LSU game where AK got 7, then 1, then we had an incomplete pass on 3rd and 2.

Haven’t checked the other games but, between those two, we had more issues with incomplete passes killing drives than AK’s usage.

Regardless, it sounds like the coaches are going to be approaching things differently and I’m excited to see the results. They’re all beasts and play well way tougher than their size would suggest.

I would, but I work 70-80 hours a week. However, saying that MANY FANS and other “experts” weren’t on top of this prior to games just isn’t true

Why are you working 70-80 hours a week earning a HECK of a lot less money than Heupel? With your knowledge, don't you think a good college program would pay you $2 Million plus?

Nothing personal...but why is it that the best Offensive Coordinators and Head Coaches are on message boards and not on the sidelines earning Millions?

FYI, I just checked the Cincinnati and LSU games and there wasn’t a single drive with AK running the ball up the middle that ended with a third and long and then a 3 and out. The closest thing was a drive in the LSU game where AK got 7, then 1, then we had an incomplete pass on 3rd and 2.

Haven’t checked the other games but, between those two, we had more issues with incomplete passes killing drives than AK’s usage.

Regardless, it sounds like the coaches are going to be approaching things differently and I’m excited to see the results. They’re all beasts and play well way tougher than their size would suggest.
The Cincinnati game can be used as one example. Sure.,, but it was later in the season

In the LSU game, other than a few plays, the use of AK wasn’t relevant. By that time McCrae was 100% the guy

Reactions: JAFFX2
Why are you working 70-80 hours a week earning a HECK of a lot less money than Heupel? With your knowledge, don't you think a good college program would pay you $2 Million plus?

Nothing personal...but why is it that the best Offensive Coordinators and Head Coaches are on message boards and not on the sidelines earning Millions?

Remember, I’m not investing in GOL statues. J/K

So.., EVERY coach is perfect?

No coach had ever made a mistake?

No fan EVER SAW something that a coach didn’t?

Shaquem Griffin says Hi!!

Last edited:

Oh.., and then there’s those multi millionaire NFL executives and coaches choosing Tim Tebow in the first round and countless other
NFL draft busts.

Need more examples?

Oh.., and then there’s those multi millionaire NFL executives and coaches choosing Tim Tebow in the first round and countless other
NFL draft busts.

Need more examples?

Confused...what does NFL Draft Picks have to do with Heupel's offensive philosophy and play calling?

Stop reaching...even when you don't know what you are talking about.

PS. As one former coach use to say: "Every play should be a TD play...but most are not because at least 1 or more of the 11 players on the field did not do their job on said play".

I do...and its not nearly as much as what Heupel is bringing in each year.
So.. coach salaries are directly related to how successful they are?

Do I need to give you examples of that too?

Kevin Smith coached 2 running backs to the NFL making barely 6 figures

Or was it $75,000?

Stop reaching...even when you don't know what you are talking about.
You don’t know what you are talking about at all.

Did I not give you an example of Otis’ failed
move to wide receiver?

Did I not give you examples of AK making 0-2 yard runs?

You tried to come up with some “fresh leg” BS argument which is just embarrassing

So.. coach salaries are directly related to how successful they are?

Salaries (just like yours) is based on what the market will pay for said position (usually based on supply and demand) because there are much fewer people who can run a program AND call all the offensive plays vs what you or most of us do.

In regards to Kevin Smith...the ONLY reason he has a RB Coaching Job is O'Leary brought him back so he could get a break on tuition while he volunteered in the football program and then got a small quality control paid position after he finally graduated college 11 years after he started. (Most have a college degree to coach at a Florida Public Univ Varsity Sport).

Like any other Asst Coach...Smith came to FAU with basically zero daily coaching experience, let alone he went to a program with so little money but he viewed it as an investment/opportunity for the future and he certainly taken great advantage of that.

I hope maybe one day he ends back at UCF.

Last edited:
Salaries (just like yours) is based on what the market will pay for said position because there are much fewer people who can run a program AND call all the offensive plays vs what you or most of us do.
So.., you are saying a coaches salary is directly related to his ability to NEVER MAKE A MISTAKE?

That’s what the argument is

Answer the question to why does it appear that we are scrapping the AK up the middle thing?

Some 2 million dollar guy saw SOMETHING too late. Otherwise, we would still be doing that, correct?

NOBODY IS SAYING THAT Heupel isn’t a great coach 99.9999% of the time

The Cincinnati game can be used as one example. Sure.,, but it was later in the season

In the LSU game, other than a few plays, the use of AK wasn’t relevant. By that time McCrae was 100% the guy
limited sample sizes for sure - i just peeked at those because we had been talking about them.

One thing that hasn’t been mentioned is AK’s effectiveness as a receiver (4th best on the team, top of all RBs). Hope we don’t lose some of that ability with the changes.

Reactions: Ucfmikes
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT