ADVERTISEMENT

Our Defense is Regressing

Bend don't break, get a couple turnovers and let the offense do the rest. That's our defense right now.

Our offense was off tonight and the defense did what was needed to back them up. Great team work. Also, SMU did a great job of keeping our special teams out of the game with kickoffs out of the endzone and high punts.

Reactions: ahabmw
I felt that way in the first quarter or so but in the end, we held a very good offense to only 17 points. The other 7 was a pick 6.

Reactions: 90Knight
I think people are finding out ways to play exploit some things. We have great offensive minds in this league. We made enough plays (and they choked and dropped some easy catches), even though we left a lot of points on the field. Everybody has games like today and you have to make enough plays to win....and we did.

Reactions: Vike Knight
This was a quick reaction to the first play of the game. They played fine after that holding SMU to 10 points. Some bend but don't break. They only got it inside the UCF redzone twice and once UCF forced a fumble. There are things to clean up, but the secondary is all new this year and relatively thin. Quinn and Sutton will be playing on Sundays (Sutton will probably go first round). If you had told me before the game that UCF would score 31 points I figured we would be looking at an L.

The QB didn't have a lot of yards per attempt, so we played pretty good on defense other than the 86 yard debacle TD

The takeaway for me tonight was the pass rush. Maybe Griffin should drop his weight back down a little

This was a quick reaction to the first play of the game. They played fine after that holding SMU to 10 points. Some bend but don't break. They only got it inside the UCF redzone twice and once UCF forced a fumble. There are things to clean up, but the secondary is all new this year and relatively thin. Quinn and Sutton will be playing on Sundays (Sutton will probably go first round). If you had told me before the game that UCF would score 31 points I figured we would be looking at an L.
I had SMU scoring 34. Just because I thought we would score a lot more
24 is very low for them. They average 41

I think that tonight was more about the offense

Reactions: UCFhonors
How many weeks has it been since the bye? D is tired. Hopefully it doesn't catch up to us against USF or Memphis CCG

The secondary played decent pass defense just need work on tackling. They had to fight hard because we had NO pash rush. Everyone says Pittman and Hill are amazing....maybe on run defense but horrible pass rushers.

I had SMU scoring 34. Just because I thought we would score a lot more
24 is very low for them. They average 41

I think that tonight was more about the offense

You sir are correct. Thanks for being in some UCFacts into this thread.

#UCFacts

SmokinSmile

Nevelle Clarke made a couple nice plays. Glad to have him back in the fold.
Yes. Also, it looks like he has some height as well. Without him and Hughes last night, we get beat. What was our biggest question mark going into this season (DB) is now above average to very good. Tackling could be better, but the coverage is excellent. We have cut down on the pass interference penalties

Definitely playing against a few pass happy teams this year in SMU and Memphis

We will need the same effort against USF (big receivers) and possibly Memphis.

Was happy with the secondary keeoing everything in front of them, same with the run defense....but have no pass rush from the D-Line, and unlike last year, the blitz packages aren't getting to QBs.

Reactions: Mikesi
We played yesterday to avoid the big play and we did except the one tackling debacle

They had a stud WR have 11 receptions for 47 yards (riidiculous) and the other was held somewhat in check. The 3rd guy hurt us, but their overall passing yardage wasn't crazy. I'll take it

This was a tougher offense than we’ve played. We aren’t going 51-7 every game. Especially when there is more tape on us for then opposition to study. As long as they can learn from mistakes and adjust we’ll be fine. I’d like to see us continue to improve over the next three games.

We completely looked like the keystone cops on SMUs first play:(. WTF???

It's one play

Yes, 1 play but certainly emphasizes the fact that they need to focus more on fundamentals. Just hope 1 play like this doesn't bite us in the ass and cost us a game!

Last edited:
Yep. We only have 3 good D-lineman.
The Dlinemen are doing their job it seems. In the 3-4, the LBs are supposed to fill the gaps and make/not miss tackles. DBs, as a last line of defense, are committing an even bigger problem when they miss a tackle. Could some changes in personnel be needed? Just a question to consider???

The Dlinemen are doing their job it seems. In the 3-4, the LBs are supposed to fill the gaps and make/not miss tackles. DBs, as a last line of defense, are committing an even bigger problem when they miss a tackle. Could some changes in personnel be needed? Just a question to consider???
Yes the job of O linemen in 3-4 is to eat up blockers allowing the LBs to get in untouched. LBs are not getting in. Jasinski seems to drop back a lot. Maybe they need to have him pressure more.

Yes, 1 play but certainly emphasizes the fact that they need to focus more on fundamentals. Just hope 1 play like this doesn't bite us in the ass and cost us a game!
Gibson accomplished a rare feat on that play, miss not one but TWO tackles... at least that requires some hustling.

Gibson recovered a fumble and has had a few amazing picks this season

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT