ADVERTISEMENT

Our identity: Does Gus want us to have a Navy-like offense?

I liked csf’s version of tempo, and offense in general than cjh or malzahns. It was fast, but could be slowed down at times to protect our defense. The running plays involved more pulls & counters than the “up the middle” bs heupels offense had and we didnt run 37 jet sweeps per game like malzahn. We also utilized our TE’s much better
We just have to be careful making comparisons because he had the luxury of having a magician at QB. Look what happened to that offense at Nebraska.

Reactions: 90Knight
With Scott Frost it was super exciting and fast. Obviously it worked too!
Their was an art to frost’s offense. AK and Otis would run sweeps, but the next time they would appear to run it, it was a counter (see AK’s 96 yd run vs memphis). The opposing lb’s couldnt overcommit to which way the rb was going or they would get burned. Then some runs look like either but the qb kept it on a read option. Then there was play-action off these runs where the LB had their eyes in the backfield and the tight end was running a seam route past them. In 2017 we would race to a four td lead by halftime, the opposing defense was gassed, and we would cruise to wins.

In addition (as bad as chindander was) his defense worked at that time because we could take chances on defense. Many times this led to blown cvg but also alot of times led to a quick turnover and our offense was about to add another TD.

I wish CSF would be our offensive coordinator. I know it wont happen but if it did, that would be a nice blend of offensive philosophies

We just have to be careful making comparisons because he had the luxury of having a magician at QB. Look what happened to that offense at Nebraska.
It certainly helped but part of an offensive scheme is to take pressure off the qb by not allowing a defense to focus on one things. Malzahns offense this year was easy to gameplan for.

I will say, if Plumlee could have completed just half the passes he missed we're having an entirely different conversation right now.
Bad throws and bad drops were a huge factor for sure.

The Mahlzahn offense has a ton of wrinkles to it, but that doesn’t matter if you can’t hold a block 1:1 or complete the easy throw when you bait the defense into biting on something they shouldn’t have.

What do you attribute the resurrection of the Auburn AND UCF defenses to if not to Gus?

Kevin Steele? How was his defense at Miami this year?

Straight Face Trying Not To Laugh GIF

Did know where to put this, but surprised Navy did their coach dirty like that. Fired him in the locker room after the game, not even a home game. He couldn’t even wait until the next day or when they got back home? That’s ice cold ❄️ 🥶 ❄️

Their was an art to frost’s offense. AK and Otis would run sweeps, but the next time they would appear to run it, it was a counter (see AK’s 96 yd run vs memphis). The opposing lb’s couldnt overcommit to which way the rb was going or they would get burned. Then some runs look like either but the qb kept it on a read option. Then there was play-action off these runs where the LB had their eyes in the backfield and the tight end was running a seam route past them. In 2017 we would race to a four td lead by halftime, the opposing defense was gassed, and we would cruise to wins.

In addition (as bad as chindander was) his defense worked at that time because we could take chances on defense. Many times this led to blown cvg but also alot of times led to a quick turnover and our offense was about to add another TD.

I wish CSF would be our offensive coordinator. I know it wont happen but if it did, that would be a nice blend of offensive philosophies
Oh yeah, we gave up huge points on defense with Shannon too.

Reactions: Knight Strength
Did know where to put this, but surprised Navy did their coach dirty like that. Fired him in the locker room after the game, not even a home game. He couldn’t even wait until the next day or when they got back home? That’s ice cold ❄️ 🥶 ❄️

wow!

I will say, if Plumlee could have completed just half the passes he missed we're having an entirely different conversation right now.
Agreed. I think that was what was most frustrating this year. There were countless big play opportunities that the offense didn't capitalize on. QB not hitting targets. WRs dropping catches when the passes were accurate.

I guess we've been pretty spoiled with KZ and to a lesser degree, DG. It was hard to watch when it looked like routine plays were difficult.

Agreed. I think that was what was most frustrating this year. There were countless big play opportunities that the offense didn't capitalize on. QB not hitting targets. WRs dropping catches when the passes were accurate.

I guess we've been pretty spoiled with KZ and to a lesser degree, DG. It was hard to watch when it looked like routine plays were difficult.
QBs are going to miss some throws guys. Now if the drops (there were so many) were limited, you’d probably see a 68%+ completion percentage, at least 2 more wins (Louisville/Navy) and made JRP’s already impressive stats even more impressive.

The amount of drops were definitely uncharacteristic of our WRs.

I still remember Gabriel sailing passes that were really routine. Saw the same with JRP so hopefully he can work on his footwork in the offseason. I know our QBs are gonna be on the move with this offense so we have to have better accuracy if we are gonna get over the hump.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT